March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Holiday Cabin | A Build & Create-A-Sim Contest | [CLOSED]

Comments

• cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    cwaddell wrote: »
    aricarai wrote: »
    @aricarai I priced mine from build/buy menu after depreciation, so it would still have included the lot price. I didn't think about costing it from the export menu (mostly cause I didn't want to export it until I reached budget!)

@creativemetaphor - It should be the same price in edit town mode and on the actual lot. The only time it would be different is from the library because it doesn't include the lot.

Thanks for the info. I have uploaded a new version of my cabin that is within budget. Should I update my original entry post or submit a new one?

You can just update the old entry :mrgreen:

Thanks, Done. :)

• BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member

Well ... I got a start on a cabin ... :#
    Now I just have to wait and see how many times I change it or start over.
    39291930632_7bc21d30e2_b.jpg

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I like the way you got the carport under the home that way with lots of covered patio space.
    ciane wrote: »
    I like the way you got the carport under the home that way with lots of covered patio space.

Thanks @ciane ... :)

I am already putting it through some pretty big changes to improve the appearance/function as well as budget.
    Still have the carport area under the house though ... Makes room for a hot tub, exercise equipment and storage.

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @BlackSand Oh! There's a unique take! I like :)

I had tried to put a basement under a previous version of mine, but the house was already too expensive and I didn't have anything left to furnish the basement! I ended up abandoning that design and a basement didn't really fit with the new layout. But a raised house with a covered patio beneath is a nice twist!
    @BlackSand Oh! There's a unique take! I like :)

I had tried to put a basement under a previous version of mine, but the house was already too expensive and I didn't have anything left to furnish the basement! I ended up abandoning that design and a basement didn't really fit with the new layout. But a raised house with a covered patio beneath is a nice twist!

Thanks @creativemetaphor ... :)

I was also playing the cabin to get the depreciation ... And along came a meteor.
    Haven't seen one in game for a while ... No mercy with my cabin though ... :/

@BlackSand Oh dear. :( Save often.
    yWEqcXq.png

MSiZ27I.png

Link to Your Page: BlackSand
    Sim's Name: Alissa Montgomery
    Link to Sim: Alissa Montgomery
    Sim's Traits: Loves the Outdoors, Irresistible, Charismatic, Star Quality, Born Saleswoman, Party Animal [Fine Arts Degree]

Biography/Backstory:
    Spending most of her time on the set pursuing an acting career in Bridgeport, Alissa was no stranger to the fast life in the big city. Completing a degree in Fine Arts also gave her a taste for the nightlife so uncommon from the way she had been raised. The hustle with advertisers and her agent, dinners or parties with other celebrities, the routine back of forth to the gym and work were all common. She didn't seem to have a problem with the penthouse nor expensive cars. Well, not a problem at all ... Until the phone rang one morning.

The phone rang while Alissa was driving to work, after a late night out on the town and a short nap. It was the Sunset Valley police department. They were sorry to inform her of her parents' untimely demise in a house fire. She pulled over to the side of the road and finished getting the details from the officer. She and the officer had gone to high school together, so that helped a little. When she thought it couldn't get any worse, her once school mate said, "It's been a long time since we've seen you around here."

Alissa hung up shortly thereafter, but what he had said stuck with her. She couldn't remember the last time she had been to Sunset Valley and it was probably not too long after University. Sure, her parents came to Bridgeport, the big city, to visit once or twice a year. It was then Alissa realized how her life hadn't left much time for anyone else. It was Fall now, and she hadn't seen her parents since they had traveled up last Christmas. They were gone now ... She had planned on giving them a few grandchildren once she settled down ... No chance of that.

Slowly, the thought of all she had intentionally missed out on kept creeping back into her head as she drove to work and informed them she would be taking a few weeks off. It only helped irritate her more when the director complained about having to postpone shooting. Her agent started the sweet-talking, her friends offered to be there for her and make sure she made it back after the services. Alissa flew off the handle. While hard to determine how she managed it, she was furious and heartbroken at the exact same moment. Alissa screamed through tears as she told everyone present where they could stick their plum movie.

The service for her parents were fine, and the people back in Sunset Valley were glad to see her again. Still, she couldn't get used to the idea of staying there after so many years trying to escape the place. It was then that the idea hit her. Escape, the family had always "escaped" for a few weeks in the Summer. They had a small cabin in mountains around Hidden Springs. A cabin way off down the road from town. That's where she needed to go, the cabin. It was when she decided that, she remembered the name of the cabin. It was named Clean Slate and how appropriate that was. She'd start putting whatever she could salvage of her life back together at the cabin ... Start with a clean slate.

24474522437_cf0f208e1c_b.jpg

i089Na1.png

Link to Your Page: BlackSand
    Lot name: Clean Slate
    Link to Your Lot: Clean Slate
    Final Price: 32,032
    Description: 2 Bedroom/1 Bath ~ Cabin

24478567597_082dc01972_b.jpg

List of WANTS that you included in the home:
    - Space to entertain a small group of close friends
    - Open plan kitchen/living area
    - Hardwood floors throughout the main areas
    - Small plants included as part of the décor
    - Reading loft or nook (living area)
    - At least 2 items that fit their personality (recycle pail inside and bin outside, Degree in Fine Arts hanging over bookshelf)

*Technically ... The bookshelf is worth more than the cabin ... ;)

• romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    @BlackSand, Hi! I've downloaded and rec'd your cabin and sim last night when I saw them!

Such a pretty sim and so well educated! Very sad backstory. I do hope she will find peace in her cabin!

What a wonderful idea to raise the cabin! Having a Hot tub in the snows of HS will be perfect! Love the bright colors in the bedrooms!
    Thanks @romagi1 ... :)

It's a rather simple build, not too flashy.
    It can also be easily converted to a family if needs be.

The area under the cabin leaves a little room to grow and add activities in the future.
    There's plenty of room on the porch to add painting and whatnot as well.
    Couldn't do that with the budget ... So I left it looking like someone is moving in.

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Very pretty cabin with its nice big patio! I like the way you did the stairs!
    @aricarai Just to let you know all entries up to this point custard checked clean, all .png files (but all showing as corrupted :lol: )
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @aricarai Just to let you know all entries up to this point custard checked clean, all .png files (but all showing as corrupted :lol: )

Aww @creativemetaphor - thank you so much m'dear! That helps me out so much!

Sorry again my lovelies for not being as active as I should! I hope everyone had Happy Holidays and was able to spend time with their family and friends. I was at my MILs house for Christmas and got home last night - my hubs and I did Christmas dinner and came back with flu or food poisoning (I swear it wasn't our cooking - haha!); I'm feeling much better now!

I'm off to update the front page with all these gorge entries that have come in!

I'll be going back to the States around the 8th of January and returning around the 18th. I'll have my laptop to update the front page as and when I can though. But until then, carry on my friends - you all have been AMAZING!
    Kesminlix wrote: »
    (((HUGS))) @aricarai Sending you all my <3

@creativemetaphor @cwaddell Can I join your "Cabins that didn't make it" drive? I'm pretty sure I could add about 87 cabins to it :D
    I'm kinda glad @aricarai extended the deadline because at this rate, there is no way I could make the original. I can't build on a budget to save my life :D

I would love to see all these separate cabins that didn't make it! I always have trouble with budgets, too! I'm so bad at them!
    Link your separate threads; totally want to see these cabins!
    I love all of these entries! They're looking so pretty in the snow! We got our first snowfall (that's actually sticking - yaaaay!)
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Oh no, @aricarai, sorry to hear about you and hubby getting sick, but glad you're feeling better, and isn't it nice to have a little snow around for Christmas time? We actually had a covering for Christmas Day this year (about 1/2 an inch LOL). Now it's just cold . . . brrr . . . good excuse to stay in the house and glad I don't have to work until Tuesday.

@BlackSand I have your sim and cabin all recc'd and downloaded and am hoping to get a look in my game sometime today, or at least over the weekend. I think your sim is very pretty and sounds fun/interesting to play, and elevating the cabin was a great idea. Love the big covered porch on the end, too. Not sure how you got a hot tub in there on our budget :P but guess I'll figure it out when I finally see it in game.

Speaking of budget, I was happily going along, almost finished, using the in-bin cost for my property until @cwaddell thought to ask about whether the lot price was to be included. I don't know why I never thought of that at all (maybe because I used to do some of the Build-N-Share challenges where I didn't have to include lot price), but anyway, I had to make some switcheroos, and while I was doing that, my lot started fluctuating in price quite a bit and was making me a little crazy.

I had a sim in there to upgrade the fireplace to fireproof, and just went into buy mode and deleted the nicest painting I had in the upstairs, which took care of a LOT of the amount I was over budget, then went looking for other things I could do. I was checking for art appreciation and found, interestingly, that while decor items in the downstairs (including most of the plants) had appreciated a little bit, upstairs they had depreciated, including that painting I had axed. Anyway, while I was doing this, the lot price suddenly dropped so that I was under budget again. Not being one to argue with extra money, I thought perhaps I hadn't yet had the sim in there long enough for it to fully depreciate and just turned my focus to adding a little definition to the back of the lot that I thought was needed. Suddenly, again, the price went back up, around 400 simoleons, putting me back over budget. And when I went to save, it went up another 100. Going back to deleting that appreciated decor only knocked off about that last 100 gain, and I have no idea what the fluctuations were about. I *did* get in budget, though, without sacrificing too much. Just be warned that there is no fire detector on the lot and I don't think the stove is fireproof. :o

All I have left to do is work on presentation, and I'll be putting up my entries before my holiday break ends.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Hope everyone had a great Christmas holiday! ... I seem to have a lot of catching up to do:

@aricarai, I know myself that it can be rather difficult if you want to assist members of the family but live far away. I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that you can help resolve your family matters without problems as soon as possible ...

@suzses, thank you so much for your lovely comment ... it's most appreciated! Love the sneak peek of your cabin by the way ... yours will definitely make a gorgeous addition to Great Bear! :)

@cwaddell, I love Alma and her background story and your Wilde Cabin turned out looking fabulous. The setting is beautiful and that you've managed to included a pond for skating and fishing is brilliant. A big rec for both :)

@BlackSand, what a superb idea to raise your cabin ... it looks absolutely awesome especially in winter :) . I'm sure that the beautiful Alissa will be very happy starting her new life at the 'Clean Slate' ... both rec'd of course.
    yWEqcXq.png

MSiZ27I.png
    Name/Link to Your Page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/suzses

Sim's Name: Kayla Woodes
    Link to Sim (Can be uploaded as a household): Household link: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9173190

Sim's Traits: Bookworm, natural cook, loves the outdoors, angler, eco friendly

Biography/Backstory:

As Kayla walked by closely spaced buildings to her rented apartment in Great Bear, she longed to get out of town where she can breathe the fresh air, walk in the woods, and of course, cast a fishing line, her favorite pasttime. Sure, Great Bear is a small town surrounded by wilderness, but Kayla still felt a bit confined by the closeness of so many buildings and people.

Her parents are mystified that she even chose to live in such a remote town as Great Bear. Opportunity knocks more often in urban areas, and life is about seizing opportunities, is it not? So their thinking goes. Kayla loves and appreciates her family, but she is simply cut from a different cloth, one woven together more with bits and pieces of her grandparents' personalities than those of her parents or brother.

Grandpa Woodes was a scholar (now retired), with his nose always planted in a book, and any excitement in his life generated by discoveries dug out of dusty tomes. When he does pull his nose out of the pages of a book, he's likely to stay close to home and do a bit of tidying up. Grandma Woodes, on the other hand, was more active and practical. She found her joy in other places - in the kitchen with the warm, delicious pies she lovingly baked; and once done in the kitchen, along the edge of a stream, patiently awaiting the catch of the day. Grandma and Grandpa were a bit unconventional for the time period of their early years, but they were happy and not too concerned that others found them to be "odd ducks."

The best present Grandpa ever got for Grandma was her cabin in the woods, near a great fishing lake. While Grandpa rarely ventures there, and always with a large stack of books on the occasions he does, he knew spending time at the cabin would bring joy to Grandma's life, and so it did.

It also brought a lot of joy to Kayla's life while she was growing up. She loved nothing better than to spend Summer vacation or a Christmas holiday at the cabin, where she too learned to love the quiet of the outdoors, the sport of fishing, and even cooking. She has all of Grandma's pie recipes in her collection. She also has a lot of Grandpa's books and learned from him a love of exploring their pages. She really didn't inherit his tidiness, however. While far from a slob, the idea of "a place for everything and everything in its place" is somewhat lost on Kayla. She thinks a fine place for her hiking boots is beside the front door. She knows where the flour is when she can see it in the middle of the kitchen counter, and she knows just what book is in what stack. Why hide everything away where you might never find it again. Besides, time wasted on putting things away could be better spent reading, or fishing, or doing any number of other things.

Kayla has decided that time can also be better spent in a location more to her liking than a downtown apartment. With steady work in teaching and a small nest egg saved up, she is ready to purchase her first home. At first, she was planning to buy something in Great Bear, not far from school, but she just couldn't get excited about it. The more she thought of it, the more she wanted to get out of town but worried about commuting time and costs to get back and forth to school.

Then, when she saw a listing for a remote cabin for a good price, her plan crystalized. It was the perfect solution. She would keep her apartment in town and buy the cabin, too. She could escape town right after school every Friday and only commute in from the cabin on Monday mornings. While everyone knows teachers have a lot of work to do even when school is not in session, there would be no reason she could not do it during school breaks in the tranquil environment at the cabin.

Pictures (4 maximum in this thread):

38368719085_7af47883ec_c.jpgKaylaPortrait1 by Sue H, on Flickr

More Pictures:
    Kayla's wardrobe is what she has packed for a winter holiday at the cabin, with the exceptions being two outfits she likely won't need: swimwear and formal. But, you never know, she might find a hot tub to soak in, and as far as the formal goes, she just wanted you to know that even though she prefers a sweatshirt and tousled hair, she *is* capable of other looks when the occasion calls for it.

27468487299_264216afc1_c.jpgKaylaOutfits1 by Sue H, on Flickr

25508488618_ef9d370112_c.jpgKaylaOutfitsCollage2 by Sue H, on Flickr

Kayla enjoying the great outdoors at Woodhaven

38484684195_697b5311d1_c.jpgKaylaAtWoodhaven by Sue H, on Flickr

Additional Information:

Favorites
    Color: Lilac
    Food: Fish and Chips
    Music: Rock

Profession: Elementary School Teacher (level 4 Education)

Lifetime Wish: Renaissance Sim

Zodiac Sign: Pisces

Skill points:
    Fishing 5
    Cooking 5
    Logic 2
    Charisma 3
    Soc Net 1

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    yWEqcXq.png

i089Na1.png
    Name/Link to Your Page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/suzses

Lot name: Woodhaven
    Link to Your Lot: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9173204
    Final Price: 32,835

Description:
    Shown on the outskirts of Johnnywr's Great Bear, Woodhaven is a two-bedroom, one-bath property suitable either for a holiday get-a-way or year-round living. The property features an open floor plan, fireplace, a well-appointed kitchen, and a large deck suitable for either lounging or entertaining. Outdoor activities include a fishing pond, horseshoes, and firepit. The fireplace has been upgraded to fireproof, and the toilet and bathroom sink to unbreakable.

25474435848_78aa40b4d0_c.jpgWoodhavenCover by Sue H, on Flickr

39329447502_6bc22d383f_c.jpgWoodhavenExteriors1 by Sue H, on Flickr

39358943511_80681d3afe_c.jpgWoodhavenInteriors by Sue H, on Flickr

39358948231_102fc43346_c.jpgWoodhavenInteriors2 by Sue H, on Flickr

Slideshow/Separate Thread Link: https://flic.kr/s/aHskzrAYFM
    There are a few more pictures at the link, in addition to those above, including the bathroom, floor plans, and some "friends and fun" shots.

- Space to entertain a small group of close friends - The open floor plan lends itself well to small get-togethers and cozy dinners, and the deck
    is a great place to congregate in nice weather for grilling and relaxing.
    - Open plan kitchen/living area - Check
    - Hardwood floors throughout the main areas - Check (even the bathroom because I used free flooring . . .)
    - Small plants included as part of the decor - Lots, probably too many to water on just the weekends.
    - Reading loft or nook - Reading "spots" by the fireplace and on the deck.
    - At least 2 items that fit their personality - (1) Books - in the bookcase, laying about (perhaps in her backpack). (2) Comforting clutter on the counters, on end tables, on the floor, on the bathroom mirror. (2) Indoor and outdoor recycling bins and a bicycle for transportation.

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member

Name/Link to Your Page: BreeMiles, https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/BreeMiles
    Lot name: Misty Point Cabin
    Link to Your Lot: thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9173339
    Final Price: $30,099
    Description: Built in the beautiful Hidden Springs world setting by the river, this lovely 2 bed 1 bath home is a sure pleaser for a getaway/vacation spot! Open floor plan with a cozy kitchen living and dining altogether! No CC, No CAP!
    2.jpg
    7.jpg
    9.jpg
    13.jpg
    Slideshow/Separate Thread Link: https://breemiles.blogspot.com/2017/12/misty-point-cabin.html
    - Space to entertain a small group of close friends
    - Open plan kitchen/living area
    - Hardwood floors throughout the main areas
    - Small plants included as part of the decor
    - Reading loft or nook
    - At least 2 items that fit their personality! (Gardening/Fishing/Horseshoe/Fire pit/Inside loft and Outside reading area/Recycle cans)
    @aricarai Custard checked and clean for the latest entries :)

@BreeMiles Ooh! Very adorable little cabin! Love that loft (and that sofa!) Very cozy, and two fire places!! :open_mouth: Wow!

@suzses I love the stone around your fireplace inside! I always love those little details that are just so realistic! I'm also amazed you can fish from the dock, I had built a dock once but I don't think the fishing worked for me, so I might have done something wrong. That's just brilliant

Such beautiful winter shots for both!
  • snowdove58snowdove58 Posts: 1,699 Member
    Rec'd the newest good looking sims and the newest cabins. Loving all the different ideas that give each cabin its own personality. Aricarai, sorry you got sick at Christmas, wishing you a great 2018.
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member
    Thank you much! I wouldn't want to judge this contest, all the homes are so very amazing and beautiful and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to what @snowdove58 says, each have their very own personality!
    As promised, here are links to my thread for the "cabin that didn't make it" and Leif Svensson, Lina's twin brother :)

Here are some sneak peaks:
    stoneycabin-2.jpg
    leif-1.jpg

Oooh love that cabin @creativemetaphor! It looks so gorgeous! <3 And thank you so much for checking these entries for me; I really, really appreciate it! :mrgreen:

It's almost 3am my lovelies so off to bed for me, but I'll be updating the front page tomorrow and trying to be more active (is anyone else not getting notifications for this thread)? It's very rare that I do. :confused: