Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best Pc / Laptop to play the sims 4 with best grahpics?

Hello,

Ive been a HUGE sims fan for many years. I currently have an alien wear gaming pc but the past few weeks the game has been playing up.

What is the best PC to play the sims 4 and just the sims 4? I want it to be the best grahpics and to run the best.

Or likewise with a laptop with a big screen

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited December 2017
    If you want the best PC, you go for the best internals, not an off-the-shelf or brand name. You'll save a lot of money this way.

This thread will be moved to the tech subforums, I'm sure, and they'll help you out with specifics in there.

Generally speaking you want to start with:

16-32 GB of RAM
    i7 8700K
    GTX 1080ti

(Edit: These specs are probably excessive for your needs since it's become clearer that you just want a PC to play TS4)
    Post edited by So_Money on
  • RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
    I have no idea about computer specs :# i just know that i will only use it to play the sims on and brows the internet.

Would i be better getting a gaming pc made?

I want it so it runs ulta fast and smooth and has the higest graphics :)

Any help is needed :)

edited December 2017
    RosiaMia_ wrote: »
    I have no idea about computer specs :# i just know that i will only use it to play the sims on and brows the internet.

Would i be better getting a gaming pc made?

I want it so it runs ulta fast and smooth and has the higest graphics :)

Any help is needed :)

Yes, it will almost always be cheaper if you build yourself or have it built for you.

The PC you linked above would play TS4 just fine, but you said you were after the best, and that one is more of a mid-range.

I also have no idea about British pricing, but since it's an Alienware you linked, you can bet you're paying a healthy markup.

Edit: Just looked it up and that rig runs about $1400 American, which is a lot more than I'd pay for those specs
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    If you want the best PC, you go for the best internals, not an off-the-shelf or brand name. You'll save a lot of money this way.

This thread will be moved to the tech subforums, I'm sure, and they'll help you out with specifics in there.

16-32 GB of RAM
    i7 8700K
    GTX 1080ti

OP, if you are just playing TS4, please don't use these specs. They're too overpowered and having a GTX1080ti and a GTX1050ti (which is much cheaper) isn't going to make the graphics on TS4 any prettier.

I wouldn't recommend the Alienware one you linked since it has an AMD graphics and generally Nvidia is better.

So, find something with:

8GB RAM.
    Any new i5 or i7 processor.
    GTX1050, 1050ti, or 1060.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    edited December 2017
    DeKay wrote: »

16-32 GB of RAM
    i7 8700K
    GTX 1080ti

OP, if you are just playing TS4, please don't use these specs. They're too overpowered and having a GTX1080ti and a GTX1050ti (which is much cheaper) isn't going to make the graphics on TS4 any prettier.

I wouldn't recommend the Alienware one you linked since it has an AMD graphics and generally Nvidia is better.

So, find something with:

8GB RAM.

At first I was under the impression that the OP was asking for top of the line specs ("I want it to be the best graphics and to run the best") but now that the discussion has gone on I see that he/she just wants to be able to run TS4 smoothly on ultra--in which case, yeah, the specs I gave are overkill.

With that said, I would still favor an i7, given that TS4 is a CPU-bound game and demands seem to increase with each big update. Also, 8 gigs of RAM is pushing it on a Windows 10 machine and there's no reason not to slot a couple more DIMMs in there for future-proofing--memory is relatively inexpensive.
    Post edited by So_Money on
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member

16-32 GB of RAM
    i7 8700K
    GTX 1080ti

So, find something with:

8GB RAM.

Agree with the above.
    I would recommend the i5 8600 and GTX 1050ti or 1060.
    8GB of ram is enough but go for 16GB if you can afford it.
    I would look around at prices but getting ready for family xmas Dinner. Will see if i get time later ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• TristinSkyLaflerTristinSkyLafler Posts: 3 New Member
    Could you help? I am looking at this computer to play sims3 &4. How would it do?

Windows 10 operating system
    Brings back the Start menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, such as the Edge web browser that lets you mark up web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700 processor
    Smart quad-core, eight-way processing performance. The Intel Turbo Boost technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don't.

8GB system memory for advanced multitasking
    Substantial high-bandwidth RAM lets you smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications as well as multiple programs and browser tabs at the same time.

1TB hard drive for ample file storage space
    Holds a significant collection of digital photos, music, HD videos and DVD-quality movies. 7200 rpm spindle speed enables rapid read/write times for handling large files and complex applications.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics
    Driven by 3GB dedicated video memory, quickly render high-quality images for videos and games.

G-SYNC compatible for smooth gameplay
    The NVIDIA G-SYNC technology synchronizes the refresh rates in compatible monitors to the GPU in your PC, eliminating screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag. Monitor is sold separately.

Four USB 3.0 ports maximize the latest high-speed devices
    Also includes two USB 2.0 ports to connect more accessories and peripherals. The USB 3.0 ports are backward-compatible with USB 2.0 devices (at 2.0 speeds).

Wired network connectivity
    The built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN port plugs into your wired network.

Multidisplay capability
    Connect one monitor, or add a second monitor to double your viewing space for work and games. (Monitors are sold separately.)

Additional ports
    HDMI output for a high-definition monitor or HDTV. One DVI port. One DisplayPort. One VGA (D-sub) output. Three audio outputs. One PS/2 port.

Note: This computer does not include a built-in DVD/CD drive.

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Core, Atom, Ultrabook, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
    Could you help? I am looking at this computer to play sims3 &4. How would it do?
    [...]

Specs-wise, it would play just fine. Just make sure it has a good cooling system tho.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    [...]

Specs-wise, it would play just fine. Just make sure it has a good cooling system tho.

It states monitor sold separately so is this a desktop?What is the resolution of the monitor? The 1060 card needs a 1080p 60 hz monitor
    > @DeKay said:
    > TristinSkyLafler wrote: »
    >
    > Could you help? I am looking at this computer to play sims3 &4. How would it do?
    > [...]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Specs-wise, it would play just fine. Just make sure it has a good cooling system tho.

Wont let me post the link as i am new on here. One is an AMD system and the other two are Intel. Can you tell me if the AMD one will work as well as the others playing Sims3 and Sims4?

All it says for cooling system is air. They are iBUYPOWER desktop
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > DeKay wrote: »
    >
    > TristinSkyLafler wrote: »
    >
    > Could you help? I am looking at this computer to play sims3 &4. How would it do?
    > [...]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Specs-wise, it would play just fine. Just make sure it has a good cooling system tho.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It states monitor sold separately so is this a desktop?What is the resolution of the monitor? The 1060 card needs a 1080p 60 hz monitor

Thank you, i did not know that! Yes it is a desktop.
    Can you tell me which one of these would monitors would work?

Acer SA230 23" IPS LED
    Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution
    High resolutions that deliver a solid gaming or video experience without undue strain on your graphics card.
    4 ms response time
    Delivers solid performance for precise gaming and video work.
    23" LEDmonitor
    Efficient screen type uses LEDs to provide precise backlighting to pixels.
    HDMI and VGA inputs
    Let you connect both digital and analog devices.
    100,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
    Ensures images are crisp and clear with deep blacks and bright highlights.
    250 cd/m² brightness
    Ensures images are clear and can be seen across the room.

or

AOC 21.5" IPS LED
    Ultrafast 5 ms response time
    Allows pixels to change colors quickly to avoid streaking, blurring and ghosting in fast-moving scenes and video games.
    21.5" antiglare flat-panel IPS LED monitor
    Features a 3.3" depth and a slim, frameless design for a sleek look.
    50,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
    Provides a high number of shades between black and white. This range enables accurate color reproduction when displaying images with extreme differences between light and dark for excellent picture quality.
    250 cd/m² brightness
    For a highly visible display and clear on-screen images.
    1920 x 1080 maximum resolution
    For stunning image clarity.
    178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles
    Offer a clear view of the screen from a variety of vantage points.
    Digital (DVI-D with HDCP) and standard analog (VGA) inputs
    Let you connect both digital and analog devices.
    User-friendly graphical on-screen menu
    Allows you to make adjustments quickly and easily.
    Tiltable design
    Lets you set up the monitor at a comfortable angle.
    PC and Mac compatible
    For use at home or in the office.
    ENERGY STAR certified
    Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.

or

HP 20.7" LED FHD
    1920 x 1080 resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio
    Delivers crystal-clear picture quality with stunning detail.
    Ultrafast 5ms response time
    Allows pixels to change colors quickly to avoid streaking, blurring and ghosting in fast-moving scenes and video games.
    Watch crisp images
    The 60Hz refresh rate is a good choice for gaming and other fast-moving media.
    20.7" widescreen flat-panel LED monitor
    Provides a large viewing area and clear images.
    DVI-D and VGA inputs
    Enable you to connect both digital and analog devices.
    90° horizontal and 65° vertical viewing angles
    Ensure a clear view of the monitor from multiple vantage points.
    6,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio (600:1 static)
    Provides a high number of shades between black and white for accurate color reproduction when displaying images with extreme differences between light and dark.
    200 cd/m² brightness
    For a highly visible display and crisp on-screen images.
    ENERGY STAR certified
    Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.
  • taxation_is_thefttaxation_is_theft Posts: 4 New Member
    What kind of blithering idiot made it so I can't create topics on a SUPPORT FORUM?! And made it so I can't post links?

I have an issue. After like a day of Googling, I can't seem to figure it out. My laptop has a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M. It is more than sufficient to run the game. I have the latest 388.71 NVIDIA drivers. I have both sims4 exes set to run using the NVIDIA GPU. My DxDiag output is: https : / / pastebin . com / APG3xzRQ

When I mess around with the files, this is a section of the GraphicsCards.sgr file in the bin folder:
    card 0x1618 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M" $cardLevelUber $resolutionHigh
    card 0x13D9 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M" $cardLevelHigh $resolutionHigh
    card 0x1619 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M" $cardLevelHigh $resolutionHigh
    card 0x1427 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M" $cardLevelHigh $resolutionHigh
    card 0x139A "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M" $cardLevelHigh $resolutionHigh
    card 0x1347 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 940M" $cardLevelMedium $resolutionHigh

It can be clearly seen that my card is missing from that list, even though cards inferior and superior to mine are present.

What can I do to resolve this issue OR what can I do to make a new thread dedicated to this?
    Furthermore, the Config.log file outputs the following: Unable to read graphics device parameters. (code: 1)
    Googling that brings up nothing that is useful.
    edited December 2017
    Furthermore, the Config.log file outputs the following: Unable to read graphics device parameters. (code: 1)
    Googling that brings up nothing that is useful.

What exactly is this problem you're facing? Can you not open the game at all due to the 'unable to read graphics card' error or what? I have a GTX960m too and didn't have this problem.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Yes, I cannot open the game with the NVIDIA video card. It runs fine on my integrated graphics.
    I see that Phoebebe has tagged you to switch the cards. See if that works.

If not, look at this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/The-Sims-4-video-card-error/td-p/3461079
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • aisimsaisims Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi guys!
    I want to play the sims 4 with ultra high settings while record it with videos without lag, force close, etc. Can you give me some gaming laptop / desktop recommendations? from the cheapest to the expensive, please tell me the brands too! (and ofc it's not only for the sims, I want to play another game too like gta, etc)
    I don' understand this kind of things.
    Thank you!
    aisims wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    I want to play the sims 4 with ultra high settings while record it with videos without lag, force close, etc. Can you give me some gaming laptop / desktop recommendations? from the cheapest to the expensive, please tell me the brands too! (and ofc it's not only for the sims, I want to play another game too like gta, etc)
    Thank you!

@phoebebebe13 Do you know the min specs to play GTA?
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    aisims wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    Thank you!

@phoebebebe13 Do you know the min specs to play GTA?

Recommended Specs

OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
    Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
    Memory: 8GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
    Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
    HDD Space: 65GB

PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
    Anybody have any advice on what gaming pc i should get for The Sims 4?

I want the graphics to be the highest all the time.

I want it to play ultra smooth.

And to be able to run as many new packs and stuck packs to come.

If i was to create my own gaming pc (just to play the sims 4) what would i need to ask for and what company are the best in Uk?

Any advice is helpful :)
  • ZilogManZilogMan Posts: 57 Member
    > @RosiaMia_ said:
    > Anybody have any advice on what gaming pc i should get for The Sims 4?
    >
    > I want the graphics to be the highest all the time.
    >
    > I want it to play ultra smooth.
    >
    > And to be able to run as many new packs and stuck packs to come.
    >
    > If i was to create my own gaming pc (just to play the sims 4) what would i need to ask for and what company are the best in Uk?
    >
    > Any advice is helpful :)

Sims 4 is not a very demanding game for a desktop PC.

I have the base game plus Get To Work. I have a quad core i5 (third generation, 4.2ghz) and a GTX 650 graphics card which cost about £90 in Jan/Feb 2013 (yep, nearly five year old card). My decent monitor died, so i'm playing on a screen with a max resolution of 1366 x 720. At a relatively low resolution like that, I can play with all the graphics settings set to Maximum and the game never lags.

Task monitor shows about 30-40% CPU usage and that the game is using about 1.3 gb RAM in a modest, 5 person household.

I think you're doing the right thing going for a desktop, because if a part breaks, or needs upgrading, you can change that one part and keep the rest of the system going. You get far more horsepower for your money than you would with a laptop.

I built this PC myself back in 2012. Took about five hours to decide on the components, order them, and about the same to build it (taking my time and with a maximum of tinkering). In game, upgrading a PC is a Handiness 9 skill, but honestly it's nearer Handiness 2.
    OP, didn't you already make a thread like this before?
    FwDXXd5.gif
    edited January 2018
    I currently have Alienware X51 - (which cost me alot of money when I bought it brand new) but have been having stuttering problems which is causing playing the sims 4 frustrating so I am wondering if its time to get a new gaming pc.

I only play The Sims 4 but want it to play the best and have the best graphic. Ultra settings

If anybody could recommend any better gaming pcs please do :)

*When I am looking for a new gaming pc

what do I need to look for?
    What specs?
    What questions should I ask?