JANUARY 11 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4 on PC/MAC! Check out whats fixed.

- Can my Mac run The Sims 4? Answers can be found here -

1101112131416...Next

Comments

• anniechristiina13anniechristiina13 Posts: 6 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > anniechristiina13 wrote: »
    >
    > Hi. Can someone please help answer my question about Mac Mini running sims 4 with expansion using Intel Iris? I posted this question earlier in this thread but it seems to have been ignored..?
    >
    > Thankyou to anyone who doesn’t ignore me this time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you posted the exact year, model and OS of your Mac mini? Full specs please - Processor/Graphics/RAM etc.

Sorry, the specs as as follows. Thankyou @BluebellFlora for responding I really appreciate it!

2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
    8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
    Intel Iris Graphics

As for the year it would just be the one currently advertised on apple's website. I can't post a link as I am not allowed to but it is the middle tier mac mini that is currently on apple's US website for $699 ($1049 here in Australia..) I would go for the highest tier one at $999 in the US but here in Australia that model is $1499 and I just can't afford that much to be honest with you.

The OS would be the most current as I would update it to be so. Hope this is helpful! Thanks again!

Annie (:
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 6,885 Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    > Hi. Can someone please help answer my question about Mac Mini running sims 4 with expansion using Intel Iris? I posted this question earlier in this thread but it seems to have been ignored..?
    >
    > Thankyou to anyone who doesn’t ignore me this time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you posted the exact year, model and OS of your Mac mini? Full specs please - Processor/Graphics/RAM etc.

Sorry, the specs as as follows. Thankyou @BluebellFlora for responding I really appreciate it!

2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
    8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
    Intel Iris Graphics

As for the year it would just be the one currently advertised on apple's website. I can't post a link as I am not allowed to but it is the middle tier mac mini that is currently on apple's US website for $699 ($1049 here in Australia..) I would go for the highest tier one at $999 in the US but here in Australia that model is $1499 and I just can't afford that much to be honest with you.

The OS would be the most current as I would update it to be so. Hope this is helpful! Thanks again!

Annie (:

You should be fine but may need to keep graphics options low :)
    apple-signature.png
    Okay thankyou kindly @BluebellFlora

I really want to be able to run sims 4 with expansions and cc on high or even ultra. What mac would you recommend to be able to do this? You can recommend an iMac or a Macbook either is fine, or one of each if you are feel like it. And don't worry about a budget as I will just have to save for it over the next few years so price isn't a problem.

Thankyou in advance!
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 2,845 Member
    iMacs will be your best bet as they are the desktop computers and run Sims 4 very smoothly on high settings. Remember to also get extra RAM as that will help your Mac run more smoothly.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    Okay thankyou kindly @BluebellFlora

I really want to be able to run sims 4 with expansions and cc on high or even ultra. What mac would you recommend to be able to do this? You can recommend an iMac or a Macbook either is fine, or one of each if you are feel like it. And don't worry about a budget as I will just have to save for it over the next few years so price isn't a problem.

Thankyou in advance!

iMacs are desktop machines but use mobile hardware so are essentially glorified laptops. They're great but nothing compared to a Mac Pro or the new upcoming iMac Pro which have proper desktop CPUs and GPUs. You want 16Gb RAM, a dedicated GPU and ideally an i7 CPU.

If you want to future proof yourself (always a good idea) then go for the top end 15" MacBook Pro with the AMD Radeon Pro GPU with 4Gb RAM for a laptop. Or desktop go for the current top end 21" or any of the 27" iMacs. But if you're looking at not getting one for a few years then come back when you're ready to buy and we can see what Apple will be offering :)
    apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    > Okay thankyou kindly @BluebellFlora
    >
    > I really want to be able to run sims 4 with expansions and cc on high or even ultra. What mac would you recommend to be able to do this? You can recommend an iMac or a Macbook either is fine, or one of each if you are feel like it. And don't worry about a budget as I will just have to save for it over the next few years so price isn't a problem.
    >
    > Thankyou in advance!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > iMacs are desktop machines but use mobile hardware so are essentially glorified laptops. They're great but nothing compared to a Mac Pro or the new upcoming iMac Pro which have proper desktop CPUs and GPUs. You want 16Gb RAM, a dedicated GPU and ideally an i7 CPU.
    >
    > If you want to future proof yourself (always a good idea) then go for the top end 15" MacBook Pro with the AMD Radeon Pro GPU with 4Gb RAM for a laptop. Or desktop go for the current top end 21" or any of the 27" iMacs. But if you're looking at not getting one for a few years then come back when you're ready to buy and we can see what Apple will be offering :)

Thankyou so much for this info. You have really helped me alot and I truly appreciate it! I will definitely come back when I have funds to work with. Have an awesome day and thankyou again!! (:
  • oopsdaiesoopsdaies Posts: 28 New Member
    Hello! I was wondering if my MacBook - which has Get to Work, Get Together, and Parenthood - could also run City Living, Outdoor Retreat, and Vampires.

Here are the specs:

MacBook Pro, 13-inch, Mid 2012

Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
  • oopsdaiesoopsdaies Posts: 28 New Member
    ^version 10.12.6
  • TMUTAYLEETMUTAYLEE Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, I'm hardcore struggling with choosing the right computer for the sims 4. I want to be able to play on high settings, and maybe even ultra. I have expansion packs, and also use mods & custom content.

I currently have a MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014) Here are the specs:

Processor: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

(Obviously the game is not able to run on high graphics; only low-medium on a good day.)

I am going off to college this year and my mom wants me to have an apple computer. Preferibly a laptop to take to class. I am not looking to spend $2,000+ on a laptop.

I am looking at 2 MacBook Pro's on amazon:

1. MacBook Pro (15.4-inch, Mid 2014) with Retina display

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    OS X Yosemite

2. MacBook Pro (15.4-inch, 2012) with Retina display

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8GB DDR3 RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB
    Mac OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion

*IS IT WORTH SPENDING THE EXTRA MONEY FOR #1?
    *WHAT GRAPHICS SETTINGS AM I ABLE TO USE FOR EACH LAPTOP?

THANK YOU !!!!
    edited January 9
    @TMUTAYLEE

You are not going to be able to play on either of those Macs on High or Ultra settings without lag, especially if you have a lot of add on packs installed into the game.

You need to be realistic. If you're getting a Mac and you want it to play any kind of game on high settings then you need to spend the money on a newer 15" MacBook Pro with the dedicated graphics for a laptop or 27" iMac for a desktop. The ones you have listed are old machines with old hardware in them, presumably second hand? The first one has 16Gb RAM, always preferable to 8Gb. It has a slightly better NVIDIA graphics card but you haven't stated how much VRAM it has - 512Mb, 1024Mb?

I have upgraded from the second one you listed but without Retina, to the current 15". My old one was fantastic, still is. And the graphics in game looked fantastic as I had all settings on high. It did start to lag though during actual gameplay and I had to download and install the NVIDIA driver rather than use Apple's built in one which is always risky as it's not normal practice on a Mac.

If you don't want to spend over 2k but want a machine for gaming then you need to get a PC.
    apple-signature.png
    Thanks for the feedback, saved me the hassle of buying a plum computer
    TMUTAYLEE wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, saved me the hassle of buying a plum computer

It's not a plum computer, Macs age much better than Windows PCs and hold their value well. It's just an older one. And I would always be wary of buying a second hand one unless I knew it's provenance.

apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > TMUTAYLEE wrote: »
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback, saved me the hassle of buying a plum computer
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's not a plum computer, Macs age much better than Windows PCs and hold their value well. It's just an older one. And I would always be wary of buying a second hand one unless I knew it's provenance.

Yea I understand. I have a great laptop that I can take to college, if anything ill wait to buy one of the newer ones. I'd rather have low-medium graphics than buy a windows; just personal preference aha. Thanks again!
1101112131416...Next