Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Holiday Cabin | A Build & Create-A-Sim Contest | [CLOSED]

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I agree with everyone else. All this cabins will have to end up in a Hidden Springs Christmas town!
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited December 2017

Is there any particular lot size you would like to set as minimum/maximum?
    Or orientation ... Such as a 30x20 lot horizontal or perpendicular to the road?

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    BlackSand wrote: »

Hi @BlackSand - lovely to see you. No restrictions on size or orientation! It's all up to you as long as it fits within the budget.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    aricarai wrote: »

Hi @BlackSand - lovely to see you. No restrictions on size or orientation! It's all up to you as long as it fits within the budget.

Speaking of budget and lots ... Mine costs within budget, not including the lot. Do I need to trim some more stuff from my build to get it within budget on its lot?
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Speaking of budget and lots ... Mine costs within budget, not including the lot. Do I need to trim some more stuff from my build to get it within budget on its lot?

Lucky You @cwaddell !!!

I just kicked around an idea I liked for building a cabin.
    Spent more than half the budget on the shell and required items.

That's no wall treatments nor furnishings.
    I guess it is going to be back to the drawing board for me.

The budget isn't really a problem ... Building something I don't like is the problem ... :D

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @BlackSand Don't forget about depreciation! My build was originally just over 40,000 but it did depreciate into the budget, so don't give up on your first build price!
    @suzses :blush: Thank you kindly! I definitely loved doing every bit of this, and the raven was an unexpected surprise to me! Found it early on but it just fit everything else so well!

Nice to have the extra build time, hope you get everything you're hoping to do done! :)
    @BlackSand Don't forget about depreciation! My build was originally just over 40,000 but it did depreciate into the budget, so don't give up on your first build price!

Yeah ... Being hardheaded ... I don't want to give up.

Thinking I may give a try with the depreciation.
    I basically know what I want in the cabin ... So I already started laying everything out.
    I have not recolored everything yet ... Just the basics to get the price.

Probably going to have to change out some artwork and junk.
    I could go cheaper on some furnishings ... Will see what I have to work with.

The total price came in at 55,665 before depreciation ... :D

That's a good one @cwaddell; it's the cost when save it and upload it because it has to be done from edit town mode, so whatever the final price is there, if that makes sense.
    @aricarai So I could've added 1,800 extra thingies worth?? :open_mouth:
    @aricarai So I could've added 1,800 extra thingies worth?? :open_mouth:

No I don't think that's what I meant to say...head is jumbled. Haha! It shouldn't be extra because you export from edit town and it's on the lot. So the final price is whatever you export it at. Sorry if that's confusing @cwaddell. What's the price show when you export/share it?
    @creativemetaphor & @cwaddell - the only time the price would be different is if you share it straight from the library because from the library it doesn't take into the cost of the lot but if you share from edit town while it's on the lot, the price should be the same there as when you're actually on the lot. So I guess the easiest answer to @cwaddell's question would have been the final price includes the build and the lot price. It wouldn't have been the same for everyone since not everyone is building on the same size lot.
    @aricarai I priced mine from build/buy menu after depreciation, so it would still have included the lot price. I didn't think about costing it from the export menu (mostly cause I didn't want to export it until I reached budget!)
    @aricarai I priced mine from build/buy menu after depreciation, so it would still have included the lot price. I didn't think about costing it from the export menu (mostly cause I didn't want to export it until I reached budget!)

@creativemetaphor - It should be the same price in edit town mode and on the actual lot. The only time it would be different is from the library because it doesn't include the lot.
    @aricarai Okay! :mrgreen: Thanks for explaining!
  • blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    You guys are amazing creators. I hope that everyone is having a Merry Christmas. I have to get back into CAS sometime today. Looks like I have some recing to do. Happy Simming. :)
    YShQCz1.png
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Thank you for your kind comment about my cabin and sim @suzses :)

I was wondering @aricarai is it ok if the sim has some skills because I've been playing him, and is it ok if things are upgraded (fireproof fireplace)? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Happy Holidays everyone! :smiley:
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @romagi1 Ooh, Devin is quite the hottie, and a family-type guy, too. I'm sure some smart sim will scoop him right up (in fact, I'm sure one of mine will). It's great he was able to buy a cabin so close to Grandma's, and a lovely cabin it is. Loving the enclosed porch out over the pond, and the grilling porch is a nice touch, too. The color scheme is warm, cozy, and masculine, perfect for Devin. You managed to get a lot of sleeping space in there! That was a smart thing to do for a holiday cabin - wish I had thought of that.

@snowdove58 Another handsome sim! Love his name and his sad, down-turned eyes (a look I've always found sexy). You could say his sad look goes well with his touching backstory. The cabin is beautiful, with its balcony, french doors, lots of windows. I really like the kitchen island and the massive wood columns at either end.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Forgot to mention, looks like Moonlight Falls was another great world choice for this. Haven't played there in a while, so will have to go look to see if there's enough out-of-town kind of space for a lot of cabins . . .
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    Odonata68 wrote: »

I was wondering @aricarai is it ok if the sim has some skills because I've been playing him, and is it ok if things are upgraded (fireproof fireplace)? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

That's a good question. :)

YShQCz1.png
    Odonata68 wrote: »

Sorry I missed this @Odonata68 - it's totally fine if you want to upload your Sim as a household and if the house is upgraded.

@creativemetaphor - It should be the same price in edit town mode and on the actual lot. The only time it would be different is from the library because it doesn't include the lot.

Thanks for the info. I have uploaded a new version of my cabin that is within budget. Should I update my original entry post or submit a new one?
    edited January 2018
    Sorry, duplicate post.
    Post edited by cwaddell on
    @cwaddell Alma is a very striking sim who looks great in the red you chose as her favorite color. Her backstory is well done and a little sad. I hope she's able to be happy with her memories in the cabin.

Your cabin is in such a beautiful setting - the views in some of your distance shots are stunning - and the cabin itself seems just as it would be in your story. The reds and white you used are a nice contrast against the dark woods, and seeing it all decorated for Christmas was a nice touch. I really like the enclosed porch and the attic reading nook.

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread

Thanks for the info. I have uploaded a new version of my cabin that is within budget. Should I update my original entry post or submit a new one?

You can just update the old entry :mrgreen: