Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

macOS thread - now including 10.14 Mojave

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited October 2017
    - macOS High Sierra info post -

Some users are reporting laggy gameplay since updating to High Sierra. Try the following to see if it helps:
    1. Trash the following files (source):
      • Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > cache > any files ending in .cache, .dat and .jpg in this folder but do not delete the folder itself
      • Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > cachestr delete files but do not delete the folder itself
      • Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > localthumbcache.package
      • Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > onlinethumbnailcache folder
    2. Repair the game by right-clicking on the game in your Origin games library and selecting repair game
    3. Remove any lighting Mods you may have installed and test the game without them.
    4. Lower your graphics settings in-game, particularly if you are using a Mac with integrated Intel graphics only (MacBooks, MacBook Airs, 13" MacBook Pros, entry level 15" MacBook Pros, some 21" iMacs, Mac mini).
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
    Just updated, no problems at all :)

2017 15" MacBook Pro
    3.1 GHz i7
    16Gb 2133 MHz LPDDR3
    AMD Radeon Pro 560 4Gb
    Intel HD 630 1536 MB

Sims 4 plus all Expansion, Stuff and Game Packs to date.
    apple-signature.png
  • janwearsbracesjanwearsbraces Posts: 53 Member
    I've been hesitating about updating to Sierra, as well. I've had some problems with Sims game performance as I'm playing on a 13" MBP (late 2015) and I'm worried that Sierra might make things worse. With the exception of certain websites (especially if I'm using Firefox), everything else runs well. I don't know... :/
    Spiral staircases please!
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    edited September 2017
    just an FYI, when I go to open the app, no matter which way, directly launch The Sims 4, or though Origin, the games a while a minute or two to load. It shows the spinning wheel, and just opens.

Mid 2010 MBP
    MacOS High Sierra
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    16gb
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256mb
    southaltan wrote: »
    just an FYI, when I go to open the app, no matter which way, directly launch The Sims 4, or though Origin, the games a while a minute or two to load. It shows the spinning wheel, and just opens.

Mid 2010 MBP
    MacOS High Sierra
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    16gb
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256mb

Does that happen if you pull your Sims 4 folder to the desktop and the game creates a new one? Maybe the cache files need clearing out :)
    apple-signature.png
  • pinkkbellepinkkbelle Posts: 31 Member
    I haven't had any issues with High Sierra
  • HaleStorm87HaleStorm87 Posts: 22 Member
    > @southaltan said:
    > just an FYI, when I go to open the app, no matter which way, directly launch The Sims 4, or though Origin, the games a while a minute or two to load. It shows the spinning wheel, and just opens.
    >
    > Mid 2010 MBP
    > MacOS High Sierra
    > 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    > 16gb
    > NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256mb

I have the same issue when I first start the game. I have updated to High Sierra
    The display will go black as its loading as normal before HS.
    However then the game will minimize and I got the busy wheel.

The game will then start after a moment.

This wasn't like this before I updated the MacOS.

Thought it was mods, so I moved my mods out of the Sims4 folder but the result didn't change.

I tried to repair, no difference.

Only thing left to try is to reinstall but doubtful that will fix anything. I think its the new OS that is the issue.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Try this. Restart your computer, clean your memory (instructions are on Bluebellflora's blog) and then play. I've found it works fine and opens right up with no issues.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • iimlana_01iimlana_01 Posts: 13 New Member
    I am having issues with my CAS after updated to the operating system. My cursor is acting like it is on my sims when it’s not. So it glitches out. This use to be a problem a few months ago, but it was resolved when Apple came out with a new update. So I don’t know if anyone is having the same problem again. Yes I removed my mods and tried it. I also removed my mod and repaired it and tried without mods after repairing it.
    iimlana_01 wrote: »
    I am having issues with my CAS after updated to the operating system. My cursor is acting like it is on my sims when it’s not. So it glitches out. This use to be a problem a few months ago, but it was resolved when Apple came out with a new update. So I don’t know if anyone is having the same problem again. Yes I removed my mods and tried it. I also removed my mod and repaired it and tried without mods after repairing it.

It's a known issue which seems to come and go with either Apple or EA updates. There seems to be no common denominator for it. It would be worth posting in this thread at AHQ - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/INFO-REQUEST-Sims-4-CAS-cursor-glitch/m-p/6027932#M7813
    apple-signature.png
  • GeorginaDangeloGeorginaDangelo Posts: 9 New Member
    Hi! I'm having troubles as well.
    I currently have MacOS Sierra (Version 10.12.6)
    and wanted to know if my computer can take Sims 4, and all the Mods I have.

For mods:
    5,742,585,186 bytes (5.75 GB on disk) for 2,105 items

My Mac is a:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDr3
    Untitled Startup Disk
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I have 249.77 GB left.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,660 Member
    Hello. I have been experiencing the severe lagging issues after a recent upgrade to High Sierra. The workaround I have found is a poor one from an aesthetic viewpoint. I have to not only disable CC, but remove the files themselves. In addition the max I can run graphics wise is

Res: 1024x768

Settings:

Sims: Very High
    View Distance: Low
    All others: Medium

That has eliminated 95% of the lagging issues, still some stutters and pauses. But once I settled on that ugly pixelated fix, I'm now plagued by random crashes. Often no warning at all, one second in the game, the next at the desktop. Sometimes it will give a warning, walls disappear leaving the windows hanging in midair, an object will disappear but still leave a shadow, or a sim will disappear except for their hair and/or a piece of jewelry. I do have 5-10 seconds where I can hit save in those instances.

System Specs:

2012 21.5" iMac
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB

Everything was perfect prior to the upgrade to HS. I could roll back to Sierra, but since I am looking seriously at a newer Mac which would most likely come with HS I would love to find fixes for the game on this old machine in the meantime. Hopefully this post can shed some more light on this problem.
    @LMLS2143 If you restart your Mac and open nothing but Origin and the game do you still get the lag? You could try installing the NVIDIA driver manually. That should drastically improve lag but be aware that it is not normal practice.
    apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > @LMLS2143 If you restart your Mac and open nothing but Origin and the game do you still get the lag? You could try installing the NVIDIA driver manually. That should drastically improve lag but be aware that it is not normal practice.

The only thing that has helped the lag is lowering the graphics settings. I checked a few of the previous posts after making my post, and unchecking vertical sync and uncompressed textures seems to have cured the crashing issue. I got a good 20+ realtime minutes without a single crash which hasn't happened lately. Now I'll try upping the settings and see if the lag has been cured. Whatever the cause it sure seems to be High Sierra related. The pitfalls of a new OS and an older game engine.
    @LMLS2143 If you feel comfortable doing it, try the NVIDIA driver. I ran it on my 2012 MBP and the difference was phenomenal.
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora I will definitely give it a shot later tonight. These low res graphics are driving me battier than not having the game at all. I remember how good it looked and ran before HS, and this is killing me.
    @BluebellFlora Couldn't update the drivers manually. Did a search on the Nvidia website for my card, and OSX 10.13.1 and got no results. So there is the likely issue. My graphics card may be old enough Nvidia hasn't gotten around to doing an updated driver for it. I'm guessing at some point they will. In the meantime I roll back to Sierra.
    edited November 2017
    LMLS2143 wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora Couldn't update the drivers manually. Did a search on the Nvidia website for my card, and OSX 10.13.1 and got no results. So there is the likely issue. My graphics card may be old enough Nvidia hasn't gotten around to doing an updated driver for it. I'm guessing at some point they will. In the meantime I roll back to Sierra.

You're not searching right, the instructions in my link are very specific:

nvidia-e1511635915235.png

Here's the direct link - http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/126565/en-uk

You'll see your Mac (iMac13,1) listed at the bottom in beta.

apple-signature.png
    I didn't search Quadro because my Mac has a GeForce GT. I wouldn't think Quadro drivers would work with that, would they? I just searched for the specific card my Mac says it's running.
    LMLS2143 wrote: »
    I didn't search Quadro because my Mac has a GeForce GT. I wouldn't think Quadro drivers would work with that, would they? I just searched for the specific card my Mac says it's running.

That’s precisely why I wrote a step by step guide, because it’s not very clear :) as you can see your Mac is listed under beta. My MBP has GeForce GT 650m 1Gb and the driver immensely improved the graphics, otherwise I wouldn’t suggest it.

apple-signature.png
  • Lucid_blehLucid_bleh Posts: 107 Member
    I updated to sierra and ... oh boy , let me tell you how it made my life miserable . It made my old save file completely unplayable , not only that but it it crashed my whole laptop if you want to read the whole story (which I suggest you read before attempting to download since it may happen to you too ) and how I managed to bring it back to life you can read it here ;  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930754/someone-told-me-not-to-play-the-sims#latest

However , when i created a new game no bugs /errors/ lags so far which never happened before there was always something . So in conclusion sierra is a mess , and you are better off without it for now if you are contemplating on updating to sierra .
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

747a4083471d8b76843c1c120cf5bd98.jpg
    I am currently running High Sierra and it did not affect any of saved games, past or present. Do you run your game with any mods? If so, they may need to be updated before patching and playing the game.
    Lucid_bleh wrote: »
    I updated to sierra and ... oh boy , let me tell you how it made my life miserable . It made my old save file completely unplayable , not only that but it it crashed my whole laptop if you want to read the whole story (which I suggest you read before attempting to download since it may happen to you too ) and how I managed to bring it back to life you can read it here ;  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930754/someone-told-me-not-to-play-the-sims#latest

However , when i created a new game no bugs /errors/ lags so far which never happened before there was always something . So in conclusion sierra is a mess , and you are better off without it for now if you are contemplating on updating to sierra .

What did Sierra do to make your save file unplayable? Plenty of us are playing in Sierra/High Sierra without any issues. Sounds like your Mac may have issues. Which exact model is it?
    apple-signature.png
  • GunngirlGunngirl Posts: 32 Member
    I upgraded to Sierra and it just about destroyed my computer. TS4 wouldn't even open and then my Mac went into a kernal panic and stopped working, I had to take my beloved desktop to a Mac repair place. Never in my life did I think I would have to take my desktop in! Never had a Mac problem I couldn't fix on my own. It wouldn't even start up chime so I couldn't do any sort of safe reboots, I was just out of luck beside taking it somewhere. I don't know what they did, I thank them.

I was trying to roll back to Mavericks because the game wouldn't open and I just messed everything all up in the process. They fixed my mac (for $40. Whew!) and I was surprised the game played perfectly when I got it home where before it wouldn't even even load. Other the patches breaking everything, I don't have any Sierra/TS4 issues. I don't even want to update to HS.
    I've had no problems with HS and it runs Sims 4 beautifully. Always make sure you have your desktop backed up. It can save you lots of headaches.