Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Doctor Career is Terrible

2...Next

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    The doctor on duty will diagnose a patient when you examine them then get told to transfer the patient to him/her. Then you can go treat them and get them out of there. It's not meant for you to try to treat all those patients. I pick the ones who look like I will have an easy time diagnosing and then leave the others there all day. It's your job to do the to do list and nothing else. But I learned to have fun with it, and ignored that list a lot of the time. Went walking around the hood and had lunch down at the police station table and all sorts of crazy things. Don't expect me to follow the rules in The Sims.

But yes, there is the jump bug and it's annoying since the June 2nd patch.

>:)

Same haha. You don't have to make it a grind.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

The Get To Work careers need a fine tuning, but knowing EA they aren't going to pay devs to go back and give it a slight rehaul.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The doctor on duty will diagnose a patient when you examine them then get told to transfer the patient to him/her. Then you can go treat them and get them out of there. It's not meant for you to try to treat all those patients. I pick the ones who look like I will have an easy time diagnosing and then leave the others there all day. It's your job to do the to do list and nothing else. But I learned to have fun with it, and ignored that list a lot of the time. Went walking around the hood and had lunch down at the police station table and all sorts of crazy things. Don't expect me to follow the rules in The Sims.

Unfortunately, if you do want to partake in the careers, you kind of do. I avoid these careers, which is kind of sad, because I thought the idea of having my Sim be a doctor and actually work within a hospital would have been so cool and fun, but checklists killed it for me.
    The Get To Work careers need a fine tuning, but knowing EA they aren't going to pay devs to go back and give it a slight rehaul.

Probably, but I think it would be very simple to just have work performance work in the manner of TS2's headmaster challenge, where certain grouped interactions boost overall performance, rather than only specific ones performed at specific times.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I for one don't agree. I find the doctor career very amusing and a bit challenging, even when the doctor can't level up anymore. some interactions make me ROFL every time:
    W%20T%20F.png
    and the doctor telling the patient not to be such a "nubu", when having an injection. :) I love the fact that he/she can determine the gender of the babies and follow their friends and family to deliver their babies.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I actually like the doctor career. I find the science career to be boring..ask co-workerfor a crystal, ask then for a metal, simray them to change outfit, simray them to clean, talk to co-worker, order them to garden...I mean all of those requests are boring. Then when you finally get asked to do something science related like make a potion...you check your inventory and don't even have the mats..LOL
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Unfortunately, if you do want to partake in the careers, you kind of do. I avoid these careers, which is kind of sad, because I thought the idea of having my Sim be a doctor and actually work within a hospital would have been so cool and fun, but checklists killed it for me.

Probably, but I think it would be very simple to just have work performance work in the manner of TS2's headmaster challenge, where certain grouped interactions boost overall performance, rather than only specific ones performed at specific times.

But you have a whole neighborhood (as far as TS4 neighborhood's go) and I wonder how many people actually went out of the building to look around and send their Sims around to find other Sims jogging through that hood. Nobody needs to get a promotion every day or every two days. Maybe one a week is enough and gives players more time to find out why they built that hospital and station in their own world.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited June 2016
    I for one don't agree. I find the doctor career very amusing and a bit challenging, even when the doctor can't level up anymore. some interactions make me ROFL every time:
    W%20T%20F.png
    and the doctor telling the patient not to be such a "nubu", when having an injection. :) I love the fact that he/she can determine the gender of the babies and follow their friends and family to deliver their babies.

I like the doctor career and the animations very much. But I probably enjoy the integration actions and animations more. I used those a lot, laughed every time. >:) Silly auto correct, that should have read interrogation. Just one silly typo and the auto fix turns it into the wrong word. ;)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I don't think that career was near as fleshed out as some of the others and it did seem to have more glitches when I played it. The Scientist career rules though... I love the toys you get.
    Yeah so far that is my favorite job, hadn't tried the police job yet.
    Ehhh. I find it far better than the doctor career, but it's a bit too repetitive imo. Like you mostly do the same tasks through all the levels. They are fun though at times, interrogating too
    Thanks for the info and in some aspects I figured it might be a grind.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Probably not and wish they would because they had so much potential but the tasks are too repetitious.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    So it's past a year later and it's still horrible...

Nobody is helping so Sims keep leaving the hospital.
    I have to do surgery on 3 patients but it takes me half a day to diagnose one, and they never need surgery..

Ugh.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member

I have to do surgery on 3 patients but it takes me half a day to diagnose one, and they never need surgery..

Ugh.
  • aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    So, at the risk of sounding like an advert, I personally couldn't play this or any other career without the use of mods (that actually goes for the game itself but that's another story...)

There's a modding genius called Coolspear who has revised (revisited) this and other careers, and his mods add an entirely new dimension to them. The beauty is that you can select how you want to improve your work experience.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting the link to his career mods here; if I am then please remove with my apologies.

simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/forum/325-ts4-career-mods/
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
    edited November 2017
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ugh.

Try this, stop going to work with your Sim everyday to see if it jars something loose, so you can find the one who needs surgery. Sometimes, going to work with the Sim everyday is the problem. (But it's built that others won't do any work much). ETA: And better skills make for faster diagnosis. Mechanical, Logic/Focus mood, etc.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    The doctor career is the worst of the three active careers for me. I hate the placement of everything with the tasks. To run the tests, you have to go out the room, down the hall go back to the room and then back down the hall. half the patients end up leaving cause you are taking too long with one ... but you have to for a proper diagnosis. None of the other NPC sims help you and just usually end up in the way.

For me, detective was the best, then scientist and last the doctor.

Hey, I've had to go down corridors for a test, dressed in one of those gowns, holding the back closed! Drafty, much. That's not so unusual.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    I found the doctor career a little annoying until I rehabbed the hospital to work for my doctors rather than the other way around by placing test rooms in between patient rooms. My orderlies can be a little too johnny on the spot sometimes tho making beds the second I have a sim take a test, even in the same room (treadmill) and then a new patient takes said freshly made bed and I end up playing musical beds.
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Clementine_TeaClementine_Tea Posts: 20 Member
    Personally, I think the Doctor career is ok. It definitely isn't the best though.
    tumblr_n43w4pCOm11sf2cljo1_400.jpg
    Old thread, but I agree it's still a very relevant issue that has gone unaddressed, along with the other GTW careers.

As far as the doctor gameplay is concerned, the solution is very simple. The vet career offers (although still not enough) far more open-ended gameplay than the doctor career with VERY similar mechanics. The developers should really scrap the whole checklist system implemented with each career and have our Sims' pay calculated by how effective our Sims perform their job. Just like the vet career, my Sim should be paid per patient cured.

First and foremost, they really need to fix the issue with Sims freezing up every so often. These careers feel like a constant battle against the clock to get in as many interactions as possible before the day is over, and it's incredibly frustrating when my Sims freeze for a whole in-game hour. Thankfully, this is something the vet career also does right, as the day is over when I dictate it's over. Certainly something else that should be brought to each GTW career, alongside more time bug fixes.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @Sk8rblaze Can you explain in what way the vet career is more open ended? Sounds like they did take that criticism to heart then?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    The vet career is very well done. You greet a patient and take then to the diagnosis table and examine various body parts (like fur/skin, their mouth, their eyes, ears, etc.) and it tells you what is wrong with the pet (much better than the human doctor which forces you to remember what is each disease is and what treats it) and how to treat it. Since the code in there for the vet career, they can easily update it for the Human Doctor to work the same. I haven't played the scientist much, but I do like the cop career. Guess because I like mysteries. :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Active careers were a terrible idea. I try to get all the requirements for them out of the way ASAP so I don't have continue wasting time micromanaging the active career sim while the rest of the household fails miserably on autopilot. The active careers are wayyyyy slower than normal careers as well. Right now I've got one sim in a normal career and the other stuck as a doctor. The doctor sim takes about a week or more just to get a promotion, with all requirement done, focused mood, and set to work hard. Doctor sims is still chugging about mid-way through the career, meanwhile the sim that started her normal job AFTER the doctor sim started is about to top of her career track. It's very annoying how you get penalized for patients leaving the hospital. You're not working the receiving desk so why are you getting penalized for that? Also the vending machine is a huge peeve of mine as my sim is constantly trying to get drinks while at the hospital. One thing that might alleviate the career slightly is to increase the days you work, as it's only three or four right now. I really wish they would let us volunteer to do more time at work or the work from home thing that TS3 had. I prefer the workaholic sims over the lazy, whining constantly TS4 sims.

Just give me back the rabbit hole medical career from TS3. That was much better than this mess.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I don't play the careers, they are way too manic. Rush, rush, rush, and it's never good enough. I pretend they have careers, I have an office building with the workers there, a hospital where they can go and talk to the doctor. It's how I do it.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze Can you explain in what way the vet career is more open ended? Sounds like they did take that criticism to heart then?

Sure.

First, our Sim owns the venue itself. Lot ownership isn't necessary to fix each GTW career, but it's great having the ability to customize the work lot entirely, as well as see it on the map so it doesn't come across as some strange, hidden location that I can never visit at my own free will. These are things I should have been able to do with the hospital and police station especially, to cure sick Sims and report Sims, respectively. Patients (pets) in the vet career can be either accepted or denied service. When/if you accept them, there is no checklist at the corner of the screen mandating you perform exact interactions at exact times to diagnose them. You will have to test them in various ways (e.g test ears, eyes, fur/skin, etc.) for the diagnosis, and you are able to perform whichever interaction you want, whenever, to produce the diagnosis.

My Sim is able to work whichever hours I dictate. I am not racing against the clock and the lag the game itself produces to try and squeeze very specific interactions at very specific times as much because of this.

I hope the vet system is a product of our feedback, but its design, to me, proves how necessary it is they go back and fix GTW's careers. It's unlikely, but it is also a shame, given it was TS4's first chance to prove its worth and it failed miserably.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Sure.

First, our Sim owns the venue itself. Lot ownership isn't necessary to fix each GTW career, but it's great having the ability to customize the work lot entirely, as well as see it on the map so it doesn't come across as some strange, hidden location that I can never visit at my own free will. These are things I should have been able to do with the hospital and police station especially, to cure sick Sims and report Sims, respectively. Patients (pets) in the vet career can be either accepted or denied service. When/if you accept them, there is no checklist at the corner of the screen mandating you perform exact interactions at exact times to diagnose them. You will have to test them in various ways (e.g test ears, eyes, fur/skin, etc.) for the diagnosis, and you are able to perform whichever interaction you want, whenever, to produce the diagnosis.

My Sim is able to work whichever hours I dictate. I am not racing against the clock and the lag the game itself produces to try and squeeze very specific interactions at very specific times as much because of this.

I hope the vet system is a product of our feedback, but its design, to me, proves how necessary it is they go back and fix GTW's careers. It's unlikely, but it is also a shame, given it was TS4's first chance to prove its worth and it failed miserably.
    Thanks. Fully agree with you.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Katie123Katie123 Posts: 925 Member
    I really like the doctor career lol oops
    tumblr_n25chlaSo01rrajoto1_500.gif

Katie123
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

Sure.

This. Totally this. I have my qualms with the Doctor career (heck with the detective fixes I might actually play that one more) and the Vet career is actually well done and far better than being a Doctor ever was. I only playtested it just once with Supriya Delgato (I just wanted their family to own the clinic but was not going to play them) and I found that I actually enjoyed it for the short time I playtested being a vet. I only actually stopped playing it that day bc her needs were getting quite low lol.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png