Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's the tutorial which killed off Sims Medieval

SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
edited June 2017 in The Sims Medieval
I started it up again and was faced with that XXXXX tutorial which sends me mad. If it had a very short intro and let you find out for yourself and not assume you have not played before a lot of people would not have given up on it so fast.

I always seemed to go wrong getting through it and the game gets stuck and I have to do a hard shut down of the laptop to get out of it. It's a great pity as it looks beautiful. Any way of cancelling it in game?

Comments

• 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    You mean the first quest where you pick flowers, duel, send a brat to the stocks, gather resources and decorate the castle? I have never had any problems with it. I don't know if you can cancel it or not. I know it is optional for every kingdom start after the first, but since it is such an easy way to get points and money I never skip it.

Having to repeat the same quests in the same kingdom every time you start a new ambition is what killed the game. Two easy fixes that would have gone a long way would be (1) the ability to place the buildings in different locations or even a different set town layout for each ambition, and (2) two or three new quests per ambition. Something different to look forward to! Having CAS and Buy item unlocks as the only incentive to keep going is just not enough.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    @1need4kaffee My problem was that I hadn't started the game up for a year or more, started the game up late at night and completely forgot how long the start up quest took. You cannot cancel it and I couldn't save and close.

The game would be marvellous with a short introduction and left you to get on with any quest you wanted to. I did get the online Prima Guide at the time it came out so knew what to do generally, though the added Pirates and Nobles download was a welcome freebie for me.

It's a good example of how to ruin a good game in my opinion and your fixes would have been welcome.
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    Hmmm. It's been so long since I have played a fresh game I didn't remember that first quest being mandatory to complete before you can save. That does stink. I play 2-3 ambitions and then have to stop for about a year to let my interest renew. I have been playing the same game for several years. I am only half way through all the ambitions.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    So weird to read this. It never has killed my game. I play it with such delight and love it. Did you ever play so much as to get a legendary sim or two? That's simply hilarious. Then you can change their fatal flaw with a much better one out of three choices.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    I think now you can skip the first quest by choosing another quest. After 3 quest that should be gone.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I think now you can skip the first quest by choosing another quest. After 3 quest that should be gone.

That's right. It has been so all the time. But when you start a total new game, the tutorial is optional. Yes, it IS pretty long, so make sure you have enough time for it. And be happy, You can learn a lot about the best way to play the game.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited August 2017
    I would try again if the tutorial was optional from the very start as I went through it years ago on another computer and actually bought the online Prima Guide at the time. If someone told me this option was implemented lately I might try again.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2017
    You don't have to play the tutorial if you start a new game under the same user name. You can skip it. And there is a mod to skip it even if it's the first time. Say I played the first Ambition for awhile, then decided I wanted a different hero for that to start up that Ambition, I can start a new game and never play the tutorial, again.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.