Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vancouver, British Columbia done and on the Exchange!! New pics on last post!

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    BobbleBeanBobbleBean Posts: 675 Member
    edited May 2011
    I love it Sneakfeline! :)
    Shame people are being a bit overly critical tho.
    Great job!
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited May 2011
    BobbleBean wrote:
    I love it Sneakfeline! :)
    Shame people are being a bit overly critical tho.
    Great job!
    :mrgreen:

Thanks Bobblebean, I knew I would have a few critics by doing an actual city, especially since I am not a Vancouverite. But I am trying not to be too "sensitive" to it (not sure how good a job I am doing).

Stumbleduck, while you are in Edit Town, check the type of lot it is sitting on. You may have inadvertently changed the Community lot type, or it may have somehow changed the type. Mine is set to "No Visitors Allowed". A while back someone was having some problems with a world that had a military base set as "Visitors Allowed" and it was creating major problems. Load up Vancouver, go to Edit Town, click on City Hall and click "Change Lot Type" (you probably know how, just to avoid having to post the instructions I may as well tell you how). Change it to "No Visitors Allowed". You will get a pop-up saying there is a special building on the lot that must be removed or something like that, just ignore it and click the checkmark, and return to your game, but save your changes. Your City Hall will still be there and may work for you.

I checked the world file in Create A World, and the settings are City Hall - Community lot, so I am baffled as to what happened to yours. Please let me know if it worked or not, and I am sorry it is all wonky for you!

And yes, the beach that was un-named was a last minute addition that also did not receive a name, but it is accessable by foot. Many of the best places in the world are likely off the beaten path, and I am from a small lake community where we don't have a name for all our beaches. I think now that I recall I planned to put a little beach hut for my hermit Sim to live in, but after a month of play-testing, I am giving Vancouver a bit of a rest as I tested it myself and needed a break from it.
    The beauty of the world editor is that if you don't like the lot, you can delete it in World Editor if you cannot bear the thought of it nameless. I understand where you are coming from though, with thinking you should stumble across something, and I did not put it in the world. It's kinda like reading a book, then watching the movie which very rarely adheres exactly to the same script/storyline as the book, I guesss you will have to think of my Vancouver as the movie version!
  • Options
    StumbleduckStumbleduck Posts: 751 New Member
    edited May 2011
    wow for not being a vancouverite you did really well. Did you work off maps or have you been here before?

okay, so for some reason the town hall was set to "community lot - dive bar" so I followed your instructions and set it to "no visitors allowed" which unfortunantly didn't work. I dunno does it mean anything that the game, when zoomed in on the town hall doesn't show the building and just the outline of it?

You tested it yourself? you poor thing, you must be sick and tired of the world already. I'm sorry, I'm definently not making things easy for you now. But now I understand the beach bit though, that makes sense, I'm not used to no name beaches, I actually used to live close by to rec beach and in stone throwing distance of all the other beaches down there (elementary school field trips used to be, everyone walkigng down the hill and ending up at the beach) I won't get rid of the beach, I'll just have my sim explore it thats all :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That is really strange how the town hall was set to Dive Bar...anyways, all of the shell buildings disappear when you zoom right into them, you should see this with pretty much all of them like the school, etc.
    As resetting it to "No Visitors Allowed" didn't work, I am totally stumped :( If you like, I can upload my community lot to my studio, then you can download it from my studio, but it may be better to just try and redownload he world, just don't forget to delete it from your downloads and installed content 1st.
    I've been to Vancouver a few times, but mostly just to catch the ferry to Vancouver Island where my in-laws used to live.
    You are lucky to live ins such a beautiful city!
  • Options
    ced1106ced1106 Posts: 139 Member
    edited June 2011
    okay, so for some reason the town hall was set to "community lot - dive bar" so I followed your instructions and set it to "no visitors allowed" which unfortunantly didn't work. I dunno does it mean anything that the game, when zoomed in on the town hall doesn't show the building and just the outline of it?

I'm having this problem as well -- even the dive bar. Also, there's a blank lot that turns out to be where a gas station should be. The "outline" is the bottom most level of the building. My guess is that the city hall community building that's supposed to fit on top of this level isn't supported by our installation of the Sims. None of the city hall community buildings (City Hall, Public Office, Twinbrook City Hall) are small enough to fit on the Vancouver BC city hall lot.

fyi, I also downloaded a City Hall lot from TheSimsResource, and the city hall community building didn't show up on that lot, either:
    http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims3-lots-community/title/aaru-city-hall/id/1055631/

As a workaround, just put a City Hall on a 60x60 empty lot.

EDIT: Maybe you didn't install Riverview? I'm gonna install it and see what happens...

EDIT EDIT: Aha! You need to install Riverview to get the City Hall building for the Vancouver BC City Hall lot. Please update the requirements. Does anyone know the *name* of this building in the Community Buildings menu? Also, that darn gas station is still missing. :D
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    FabiosgnomoFabiosgnomo Posts: 16
    edited June 2011
    It's great! I really like this world...Why don't you add some Olympic venues such as the Pacific Coliseum or the Olympic Centre? It would be amazing!
  • Options
    IngefaerIngefaer Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2011
    This neighbourhood is my favorite atm.
    Only issue i'm experiencing is that families living in the outer city (Westwood Way) has troubles getting their teens to school without being late.

The bus takes the long way about (On the big bridge) instead of taking the two small ones to the school in the inner city which means that the teens are always late (it takes about two hours)

I had a sim run the route of the two small bridges, and there is a couple of places on the bridges where the sim would run in a circle and continue. So there is probaly some attachments between the bridge and the road gone wrong.
    Don't know if this is anything that is possible to fix (: or if its just me who're difficult :p
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Have you tried adding subways? Not sure if kids take them to school, but it's worth a try.

Another thought is to add a nearby school -- I mean, there *must* be more than one school in Vancouver! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am so sorry, I thought I specified Riverview is required as that is the City Hall I used :oops:. I see now I didn't do a good job with my description.

Ingfaer, I do have a routing problem on the suspension bridge which affects the commutes of both students and adults. I only realized this problem while working on my last world where the Sim would actually "teleport" in the vehicle, whether it be to school or to work. I really thought that the Sims just didn't like to cross the suspension bridge while going to school or work in Vancouver as they would take it at other times :roll:. The only thing I could figure out for the kiddies to get to school on time is to live near one of the two and just hope the house you lived in was close to it or move closer once it is decided by the game which school they are attending.

cedd1106, is it the Pig and Crown you are having trouble with and what is happening?
    The gas station is called the Renault charging system which I thought came in Community Objects in build mode, but I have searched high and low and it isn't there or in buydebug. I now think I downloaded it along with the Renault Twizzy which was a free download from the Sims store, but I can't find it and the picture is not big enough on the site for me to see if it is included in the pack with the Twizzy. It kinda makes sense as the Twizzy is Renault and the charging station is also. I apologize as I didn't realize it was a download. Although I did use some free objects on some other lots, I thought the game would replace the objects with like objects, but in this case there isn't really an object like the charging station is there? I was clearly not thinking at the time.

I can see if I can build a replacemet lot gas station for you if you'd like, but I would be using stuff from Fast lane in order to do it.

Please let me know and I will try to fix the bridge and see if I can upload a fixed version to Mediafire :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hi Sneak!

Oops -- When I said "Dive Bar", I meant that, if you don't have Riverview installed and find out the lot classification of the Vancouver City Hall, the classification will be "Dive Bar". I didn't mean I had any problems with any other lots.

I don't have Fast Lane, so personally wouldn't benefit from a Fast Lane version. Maybe others would? I dunno. I don't miss the gas station. But thanks for offering!

And thanks for a great city! It's all nice and green, while the houses and lots have a good variety. I've ohly played it for a few days, but am having a great time!
  • Options
    Rflong13Rflong13 Posts: 682 Member
    edited June 2011
    Hi, Sneakfeline :mrgreen:

Your world is very beautiful. I love the pictures on the front page and came to the back to see some more... I was reading and see you used the Renault set from the British site with the recharge station.
    Writin_Reg found the link for me and I thought you could use it on your front page if you want...

Thumbnail_128x128.png

If you quote you can copy and paste- it has the link included. :)

Nice world and I'm sure you'll work out any kinks. :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ced1106 - Well, there is another school, closer by - but the sims refuse to use that one (except for recitals, which is quite wierd xD). There are subways, but the children and teens doesn't seem to use them when the schoolbus is there. So.. :(

Sneakfeline0 - I see (: I might delete the school downtown for a while, since the school in the outer city is way closer to my house than the one downtown. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rflong13 wrote:
    Hi, Sneakfeline :mrgreen:

Your world is very beautiful. I love the pictures on the front page and came to the back to see some more... I was reading and see you used the Renault set from the British site with the recharge station.
    Writin_Reg found the link for me and I thought you could use it on your front page if you want...

Thumbnail_128x128.png

If you quote you can copy and paste- it has the link included. :)

Nice world and I'm sure you'll work out any kinks. :thumbup:

Thanks Rflong13, thanks a lot :P I wonder how I got the British download?? Maybe because I'm Canadian? I'll try to update this front page here, I think that's what you mean as I don't think I can edit the download page @ the Exchange?

I'll see if my daughter can help me copy the download link in as I've tried, but I am not as computer savvy as she is :oops:
    Once again, thanks!

ced1106, now that explains why the lot was set to dive bar for stumbleduck!! I used to be a CC junkie, and I did really think that the Renault Charging Station was part of the game objects, I can't even find it listed as a single object in my downloads folder, but I must have it somewhere as I can see it on the lot in Vancouver.

Ingfaer, that would likely fix your problem as the kids would be forced to go to the only remaining school, I wonder if it would conflict with anything though? hmmm...if you do try it, let me know how it goes.

I tried to open up Vancouver in CAW last night, but now it won't load, not any of my backups either. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that I don't have Generations and patched so now I can't Edit In Game, as I can open up all my other worlds in CAW.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sneakfeline0 - It worked like a charm. Tried it yesterday. Saved a copy of the school and deleted it, so the kids were reassigned to the other school - and then i could put the school back to its spot, without the kids being reassigned again (: So now they're attending the right school (:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ingefaer wrote:
    Sneakfeline0 - It worked like a charm. Tried it yesterday. Saved a copy of the school and deleted it, so the kids were reassigned to the other school - and then i could put the school back to its spot, without the kids being reassigned again (: So now they're attending the right school (:

Oh, good thing!! I'm glad it worked :D I am still going to try to fix the bridge and upload to Mediafire, but I appear to have damaged my Vancouver files in CAW. :( I think I'll try to post another thread here and see if someone has any suggestions on how to recover them.

ced1106, click the picture on Rflong13's post or my reply to her and you can download the charging station!
  • Options
    JenstlJenstl Posts: 57 Member
    edited September 2012
    Just wanna let you know this is my favourite world on the exchange :) Nice and big, finished, polished, love it :)
  • Options
    PoGoPEngUin88PoGoPEngUin88 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited February 2014
    AMAZING job!!

I live in West Van and I have to say this is incredibly good. Well detailed,accurate and very beautiful!
    New favourite world on the exchange :D
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm still trying to figure out where Surrey is on this map. :D Sorry to revive a long-dormant thread, but Hey. I live in the area...so I'm planning on playing a game with this. To all you BC Simmers. HEY...This world is great, eh?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    Hi! Sorry I couldn't fit the whole beautiful city in due to not having a very good computer. I usually try to keep it lower than 100 lots. I wish I could rebuild it again & put houseboats on the waterfront...