Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular opinions about ts4

LavenderlightsLavenderlights Posts: 76 Member
edited December 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Unpopular opinions threads tend to be some of the most interesting ones in forums, I find.

So, what are some opinions you have about the game that you don't see around here often? Here are a few of my own:

1. I am a huge fan of the emotions system.
2. I really like the upbeat style of ts4. (not sure if unpopular per se, but I've seen many that find it ridiculous)
3. I've never really cared for the Cats & Dogs EP; it's actually on the bottom of my list in terms of packs i'm interested in purchasing.
4. I really like how our sims in this game can have more than one relationship status with other sims (i.e. ex/best friends/romantic interest/etc.). I think this feature is very overlooked.
5. People usually complain about CASt when it comes to build/buy mode, but what irks me the most is the lack of pool curve tools and terrain tools.
6. I absolutely love the way toddlers walk in this game.
7. The reception has probably improved since release, but I think the family play here is splendid.
8. Speaking of release, I've been enjoying and liking this game ever since it was first released when many others didn't back then.
9. Now this one is REALLY controversial - I don't think being intended as a mobile game at first necessarily undermines ts4's ability to be every bit as good as its' predecessors. I've seen so many comments holding that against ts4, and it honestly comes off as devaluing the game to me.

Aaannd that's pretty much it for now; I'll come back later if I think of more. But for now, I'm interested in hearing yours.

Comments

• alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited December 2017
    Honestly, I agree with you on most points. Most of the simmers probably won’t though so just brace yourself for the influx of Negative Nancy’s. The family play is amazing and it’s what makes me come back to TS4 every single time. The toddlers are just the best, and I actually enjoy the child life stage for once. Usually I skip it but not with this iteration.
    Post edited by alexandrea on
    p6tqefj
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I certainly agree with number 9. Whatever its origins may be, it hasn't hindered my enjoyment of the game. The mobile-game-origin is just a talking point for people that like to use their opinions as cudgels.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I agree with No 3. I mean, I am thinking about getting C&D now because of the sale and I really want the CAS and BB items, but I don't really want pets in my game. Tough decision.
    Even worse for me though is laundry. I don't get why people want it in their game so badly and I never will.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Those points seem only to be unpopular among people who are disappointed with the game but still hope that it will improve. I am not one of those people though because I don’t expect the game to improve enough at all for me to play it ;)

The only point that I don’t agree with is point 9 because TS4 was never intended to be a game for mobile devices! It was always intended to be a new PC game instead.

The confusion is about TS4 originally having online options which likely would have enabled us to play at line (too?) and visit eachother if we wanted to. But EA gave up on this (and likely because it would have made it too difficult to make all the profitable expansions too) and I still don’t accept people’s excuses about this being the reason for all the omissions and simplifications in TS4 because I am quite sure that EA’s reasons instead were:
    1. To save money by not giving the game more content than necessary to keep the sales numbers high.
    2. To mainly target TS4 at new simmers who wouldn’t miss the things that EA omitted or simplified anyway.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited December 2017
    I like the semi-open world. Id rather it be semi-open and community lots very populated vs open and glitchy.

I'm not a builder, but the building in the game is a lot easier. Especially being able to pull and drag room or drop down preset ones.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I thought I only had popular opinions about Sims 4, but in fact I share 4 and 6 ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    1. I have no problems with the closed worlds. It doesn't break my immersion. I use those those few seconds of loading to think about what's going to happen when my sims arrive at their destination. While I enjoy the open world when playing Sims 3 it can sometime be a bit of a distraction, for me.

2. I love what many describe as happy, happy, joy, joy, sunshine and rainbows. :) In my 17 years of playing I've rarely given any of my sims any of the more negative traits.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited December 2017
    1. I like the bright, vibrant color palate of the game. It really differentiates it from a lot of modern games that have these gritty, muted colors for the sake of "realism." (Not all modern games, mind you, but if you've been gaming for at least the past decade, you know the ones I'm talking about.)

2. I think that the semi-open districts are a good compromise between TS3's open world and TS2's lot-based world. If they would just add an open district setting for people who want to be able to visit their neighbors or go from the gym to the library down the street without a loading screen and have computers that can handle that, it would be a perfect compromise.

3. I think that it was a good idea for the devs to try to make a new sims game that's more accessible to new players. I think that some of the ways they tried to go about it weren't the best, but balancing making a game that's accessible to new players while keeping the franchise's long-time fans happy at the same time is always hard to pull off...especially when executive meddling is involved.

4. I don't think it was a mistake for the devs to try to make this game work well on lower-end and mid-range machines. A lot of PC titles that come out are built with high-end gaming PC's in mind, and some are so ambitious that they end up being hard to run at full capacity even on the top-tier current-gen hardware ("Does it run Crysis?"). It's a good thing to put out a few games that work well for people with machines that are a few years out of date or aren't dedicated gaming rigs. Good for business, and good for the expansion of PC gaming as a whole.

5. I like that this game has a tool in build mode for making basements. Sure, pulling off the trick for making basements in TS2 was cool and all, but it's just much better to be able to click on an option in build mode and make a basement in a snap.

6. I think that family play in TS4 is actually more fun than in TS2 because we can leave the Child sims home without a babysitter without the Social Worker stealing our kids and the many annoying restrictions on younger sims from TS2 are finally gone. Toddlers can interact with just about everything (though, I wish they could sit at the piano or pipe organ and mash the keys) and are much more mobile and lively and much less doll-like than their TS2 incarnation. Children can feed themselves something other than unhealthy snacks and leftovers, and there is no obnoxious curfew to send their friends back home at 6 p.m. sharp (I like having my kids do their homework first, then invite friends over afterward) and mess up their hang-out sessions. Teens can argue with their parents, even if they have a really good relationship, unlike in TS2 where Teens with good relationships with their parents couldn't initiate negative interactions with them. There's so much more freedom and flexibility in family play in TS4, which makes it more than just "the back-story part of my sims' lives" to me now, and my least favorite life stage from TS2 is now my favorite in TS4!

7. I don't mind the checklists for social events...because I just turn the challenge mode for the events off when I have them and go about things my own dang way anyway. I don't need to beat the challenge and get the prizes for me to call a party a success.

8. I like that all of TS4's lots start out flat. I always used the lot leveling tool first and foremost when building in TS2, then did any terrain sculpting (adding hills or ponds or whatever) after the structure was complete, so the flat lots just save me the trouble of that first step.

9. I don't think the hair looks like plastic or clay. I think it's fine for the cartoony look the artistic team was going for.

10. I don't get the appeal of adding more household chores to the game. The fewer chores there are to do, the more time my sims have to hang out with family and friends, enjoy their hobbies, hone their skills, or go out and do stuff. Laundry? I don't get the hype. Sorry.
    Post edited by SimsLovinLycan on
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • ST7_MTNMANST7_MTNMAN Posts: 172 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Those points seem only to be unpopular among people who are disappointed with the game but still hope that it will improve. I am not one of those people though because I don’t expect the game to improve enough at all for me to play it ;)

The only point that I don’t agree with is point 9 because TS4 was never intended to be a game for mobile devices! It was always intended to be a new PC game instead.

The confusion is about TS4 originally having online options which likely would have enabled us to play at line (too?) and visit eachother if we wanted to. But EA gave up on this (and likely because it would have made it too difficult to make all the profitable expansions too) and I still don’t accept people’s excuses about this being the reason for all the omissions and simplifications in TS4 because I am quite sure that EA’s reasons instead were:
    1. To save money by not giving the game more content than necessary to keep the sales numbers high.
    2. To mainly target TS4 at new simmers who wouldn’t miss the things that EA omitted or simplified anyway.

Well TS4 is the only version i have ever played and i can assure you after seeing how this game is i will never buy another version of it ever again at least not full price and I will not buy and expansion packs either unless gameplay changes immensely.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    My unpopular opinions are:

1. I don't get the appeal of seasons. I just don't. Weather is not my priority when it comes to immersion at all and I always found the seasonal gameplay in TS too scripted and repetitive. Snowflake Day? A cute idea until you've taken your sims there so many times it becomes annoying and you'd rather place an ice skating rink on your own lot than have your sims travel to the festival. I honestly hope seasons is NOT the next EP for TS4.

2. I do not want customizable height in future games. Waste of devs' time. We don't need it, at all.

3. ..Just like we don't need pre teens. The most ridiculous idea I've heard from the players in a while. Just no.

4. I do not miss CASt. I'm not against its return, but I personally just couldn't care less, honestly.

5. The mismatched color options for furniture and clothes in game don't bother me. It's not like in real life our outfits are perfectly matched and I actually like the quirky style of slightly mismatched furniture.

6. I don't think Vampires were that good. I'm glad to see people enjoy them but in my opinion they're extremely overhyped.
  • CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    I don’t know how unpopular my opinions are but here:

1. I don’t really care for University. I hope it’s not the next EP. I just don’t see how much it will add to my game. I have University lots and clubs as majors so that sims can boost skills, have that work connection/promotion perk, and meet people but that’s it. I don’t need anything more
    2. I like TS4 style. As in I like how the sims look. The aesthetic is pleasing to me. I think they’re the best looking sims
    3. I don’t want cars. I like them for building but function wise, they don’t make sense in the TS4 worlds
    4. I don’t mind the worlds not being open. I do want semi-openness. Like no loading screens between apartments or neighbors.
    5. I don’t like that sims in one neighborhood will easily appear in all worlds. I wish the worlds were actually worlds. The game can distinguish which townies is from what world (evident in the tourists of CL) so I wish townies from Oasis Springs occupied Oasis Springs lots and there be unhoused townies that exist in certain worlds. I’m complicated :tongue:
    6. Preteens aren’t needed for me
    7. While different heights would be interesting, I don’t mind if they never add that feature
    8. I could live without laundry.
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Probably the blocky eyelashes. Everyone hates them but I've always preferred how my sims look with them than without :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Trying to think of what would be considered "unpopular". Well, okay. I might have a few...

1. No story progression - Thank the mighty stars! I am what I refer to as a "population player" and I create households with specific themes in mind and switch around when I see fit. I have my own kind of chaotic system of playing my long term save and I absolutely can't stand it if the game tries to take over and hook up my singles or marry them off or move them in with each other, or worst of all....impregnate them! Aaaaagh! Kill! ... Seriously, it's a HUGE factor in my ability to play. It's the first thing I tweak on MC Command (really REALLY wish the default had it turned off!) because it makes me want to destroy things. It's a feature that really only suits single household players, in my opinion, of which I am definitely NOT.

2. No vast, open world to lose time in - Yup, I know. There are some who would have me hanged for this. But in my past attempts at playing the Sims 3 base game, the open world thing got old real quick. I understand other people's reasoning for immersion, but that doesn't happen for me, all I get is impatient, lol. It's like, "oh look, there they go, they're walking to the library. And they're walking....and walking...and...finally! Oh. Wait. Now they have to go home and eat and go to bed in time to get up for work. Okay, so they're walking again...and walking...and....Oh COME ON!" So I'm fine with loading screens. But the open neighborhood concept might not be too bad, although BB has some pretty open public areas and if it wasn't for the awesome aesthetics I might get annoyed. I do get aggravated when a Sim runs off down the street in Oasis Springs to go say hi to someone way on the edge of the map and I have to wait for them to get all the way back to where I need them. It's just this vast space of nothing that doesn't mean anything to me.

3. Love the background art - No, really! I think it fills in the scenery really well and fluffs up the visuals. It really adds to the feel of a neighborhood. I'll be honest though - I'd still much rather we could alter our own neighborhoods, mainly because....

4. I frakking hate all of the ugly playgrounds in every dang neighborhood! - I think that's all I really need to say. That, and that seriously, devs. We really really need some world tools. Even if the areas we can use them in are limited, we should be able to edit our own little public areas and what kinds of objects are on them. (I know that opinion is not unpopular, but the playground protest probably is.)

5. The independence of children (and toddlers) and older-aged teens - I think it's pretty obvious by now that I'm not at all a "homebody family player". Yes, I do have families in my game here and there, but I absolutely do not want to cater to the children. I want them to be self-sufficient and low maintenance, and, praise Hela, I got very lucky this time around. I want my teens to be able to do most things that adults can do and I like playing them in an older age group where they can go rent a shabby apartment and have friends over and party too late into the night. Now what I really need is a thorough attraction and repelling system so that they (and adults) can have more obvious crushes and dislikes. As for the toddlers, I actually genuinely like them this time around because I can put a dish of food down for them like a cat and they'll just go eat on their own and then put themselves to bed. They sure didn't do that in Sims 2. I love Sims 2, but the toddlers were good for about half a day and I was all set with the crying and the screaming... Oh dear gawd...

I guess that's all I've got for now.
    #Team Occult
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited December 2017
    My "unpopular" opinions?

1. Like a couple others have mentioned, I'm indifferent about Seasons. I don't find it really adds to gameplay that much. It does add to immersion, but honestly? When I played Sims 3 I end up turning most of the weather options off. (It seemed to rain ALL the time in Sims 3 - even in summer!)

2. Like the OP I don't think the fact that the game probably started as an online-game is a limiting factor to making great gameplay. I just think it's more about the decisions they make along the way.

3. It doesn't bother me that the base game started out rocky. I see people still bring this up "Yeah, but a lot was missing from the base game when they released it three years ago." There were things missing, but they added a lot of things back, and that's what matters now.

4. I don't miss CASt at all. It just slowed things way down for me. Plus I think having everything matching is unrealistic. However, I would like a color wheel for hair and eyes. I also don't want an open world, although an open neighborhood would be fine.

5. I don't care that much about altering terrain. (However I really really want different foundation heights on the same lot).

6. I LIKE the backdrops! I think they are gorgeous. It does not bother me at all that I can't "go there" with my sims. (If I want to build a town I play Cities Skylines or something along those lines.)

7. I don't care about premades and their background stories very much. I do play them, but mainly because they're there. I haven't even touched the Goths.

8. I don't think that sims are so much "all the same" as everyone says. I see differences in my sims with their traits. (However, I do use the "Happy Buffs-->Fine" mod so maybe that's what helps?)

I don't think they're any less unique than the Sims 2 sims. Sims 2 sims, while I loved them, they were not so particularly unique to me. I think it is more that Sims 2 sims are very endearing and I actually credit a lot of that to the voice acting.

9. Oh, just thought of this. I want Elder sims to look even older than they do! With canes and even more pronounced wrinkles, etc. It doesn't bother me that they are slightly hunched. I don't think of this as ageist, but realistic. (I spend a lot of time around elders in RL.)

10. I usually am fine with my sims dying because I get bored if they live too long. (If I am particularly attached to them, I just upload them to my library.)

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    ST7_MTNMAN wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »

Well TS4 is the only version i have ever played and i can assure you after seeing how this game is i will never buy another version of it ever again at least not full price and I will not buy and expansion packs either unless gameplay changes immensely.
    That doesn’t surprise me because then you are likely just not a new simmer who earlier only played small casual games or smaller games for children. TS4 is in my opinion mostly targeted at very young inexperienced girls (but boys a little too) who got it as their first big game. (The other type of TS4 simmers are usually more experienced simmers who just refuse to give up because they see the Sims as just their game.)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Fun idea for a thread. I guess each Simmer has their own unpopular opinion and nice to be able to state them without caring what others think. Mine are probably going to cover the Sims in general and probably pretty random.

1) I'm disappointed in EPs this iteration and find that GPs are a better purchase.
    2) I don't care for Stuff packs even since the Sims 2.
    3) If I had a choice, I would want every Sims pack to have a life state in it.
    4) I don't like the trait system even since the Sims 3.
    5) I don't like having story progression forced on me.
    6) I can't stand Sims games tend to cater to blonde female Sims and offer little content to everything else in CAS.
    7) I like the color wheel in Cats and Dogs pack even more so than the Sims 3 one I admit.
    8) I never liked the Landgraabs in any of the Sims games.
    9) I can't stand the achievement system in both the Sims 3 and 4 and miss having a fail aspect of it that the Sims 2 had.
    10) I'm ok with the Sims 4 not having a zodiac system.
    11) Sims 4 does have my favorite versions of toddlers and vampires and basements.
    12) I like the Gallery and think it is the best version of online sharing yet apart from MTS.
    13) I don't miss the Sims 3 store.
    14) I never liked object babies even in the Sims 1 and dislike them even more in the Sims 4.
    15) I never liked rabbit holes or hidden lots and prefer to interact and build on lots.
    16) I don't like social worker be a beam of light but made a fun story that social workers are secretly aliens that abduct children to experiment on.
    17) I like controlling my own population in the Sims and never cared for culling.
    18) I like fun NPCs like Tragic clown and Social Bunny and Mrs. Crumplebottom because they aren't perfect and others don't like them.
    19) I like dragging walls and being able to move a whole lot.
    20) I prefer building on big lots like the 64x64 ones.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    A very unpopular opinion I guess would be: I don’t care about multitasking. If anything I think it’s a nuisance. If it were a toggle I’d disable it.

(sorry for being a negative Nancy but my opinion on this is pretty strong and sincere)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    A very unpopular opinion I guess would be: I don’t care about multitasking. If anything I think it’s a nuisance. If it were a toggle I’d disable it.

(sorry for being a negative Nancy but my opinion on this is pretty strong and sincere)

Can you elaborate on this? I've heard some people complain about multi-tasking saying that it makes things take too long - eating for example.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    Interesting thread! I don't really know what opinions are considered unpopular but I'm just gonna go for it:
    1. I don't like how build mode has been so limited. I like how it became easier to build, but it has became too limited.
    2. Sometimes I find the 64x64 too small. I would like to see one big lot where I can build a palace with beautiful landscaping.
    3. The neighbourhoods feel so disconnected. I could live with the loading screens if all of the neighbourhoods were in one world. Except for Windenburg though.
    4. I actually really like the Romantic Garden Stuff Pack. It is a bit small though, but I love the sculptures and flowers.
    5. Toddlers are kind of overrated? They have became overhyped, because EA put them in 2 years later in the game. I don't really like toddler gameplay. It was my least favourite life-stage in TS3.
    6. Sometimes I don't like how they do objects in the game. Like in Cats & Dogs some of the windows don't really seem to match quite like I want them to.
    7. I would like to see more tall wall windows and doors. We have like three of them?
    8. Roof trims, wall trims, spandrels and friezes are abandoned and underrated features. They have so much potential and can unlock so much more creativity!
    9. I absolutely despise the thatched roof in this game.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    That reminds me, I can't stand how long it takes Sims to shower. You would think with California being in a drought that Gurus would have designed Sims to have an option for shorter showers instead of taking at least 1-1.5 Sim hour just to shower. Multitasking I agree gets annoying at times and I think it is because how chopping it comes off and how it doesn't always function correctly. Like they will do a death stare for three minutes which people would make fun of Sims 3 doing when the Sims are doing the multitasking in the Sims 4. It is like how is this multitasking if Sims aren't even doing any task and just staring into space? I think when it comes to multitasking I got Sims beat any day of the week. It is somewhat manageable by having Sims not talk to anyone while they are taking care of needs. I'm just glad the forced drink was removed with eating because that used to cause so much of delay for Sims that they would often miss work. Probably why I miss alarm clocks too. Sims kind of need them with how long it takes them to get ready with multitasking when it comes to taking care of needs before they leave for work.

It's been weird I've had toddlers get this long range of interactions stack up that is blank and it cancels so it is like majority of the time I feel like the autonomy in the game gets confused and part of the reason why could be due to the multitasking system. I get a lot of bugs with it too that stay like when vampires try to drink plasma from a Sim and the interaction remains in the interactions. I guess I like multitasking, but not how the Sims 4 handles it. It worked better in other games like being able to interact while fishing in the Sims 3 and Sims 2 had a bunch of fun features too especially when interacting while holding toddlers, babies, and pets.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited December 2017
    This is an interesting thread:

1. I think the game should've taken advantage of technology and I wish that the engine was stronger to handle more and the game wasn't aimed at lower range computers
    2. I miss Open World (and no, even though I didn't experience this, I'm not asking for the same "buggy" "laggy" Open World as before)
    3. I'm not a fan of the art style (although I have seen some beautiful Sims 4 Sims; however, they use LOADS of CC)
    4. I don't think that mods and CC should have to be used to fix or add to the game
    5. I think babies and elders need a complete overhaul (I don't think they've ever had the attention they deserve in any iteration)
    6. I love townie/NPC back stories
    7. I miss Mrs Crumplebottom
    8. Builders need more tools and features
    9. I'm not fussed on gradual ageing (I think the spinning around and confetti is part of the charm)
    10. I'm not fussed on height sliders

Edit: Apparently these aren't unpopular opinions and I've misinterpreted the OP; sincere apologies on my part!
    ETA: Two more that I thought of!
    Post edited by aricarai on
    I think people are getting confused about what the OP was actually asking. This thread is just turning into another things I don't like about the Sims 4. I think the OP was asking for what popular opinion do you disagree with.

It's a popular opinion that most would prefer an open world. I don't share that opinion.

Or am I misinterpreting what the OP is asking?
  • KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    edited December 2017
    Is this thread supposed to be unpopular opinions, or just me listing things I don't like? Because looking at the replies I'm rather confused.

Sure there are cases where an opinion might fit both categories, like "I don't like multitasking". But I'm not seeing how "I miss Open World", "Builder need more tools", and "We shouldn't have to rely on mods and cc to fix the game" are unpopular opinions.
    Karallyne wrote: »
    Is this thread supposed to be unpopular opinions, or just me listing things I don't like? Because looking at the replies I'm rather confused.

Sure there are cases where an opinion might fit both categories, like "I don't like multitasking". But I'm not seeing how "I miss Open World", "Builder need more tools", and "We shouldn't have to rely on mods and cc to fix the game" are unpopular opinions.

Yeah. This is what the OP asked.
    So, what are some opinions you have about the game that you don't see around here often?[/quot
    Karallyne wrote: »

I think it can be whatever you want it to be so there is no right answer. Like you can agree with some of the points the OP mentions or just make your own. Kind of open to interpretation.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top