Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Karilan wrote: »
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    That awkward moment when you're stuck on a chapter for days, and when you finally have an idea you write WAY too much.

Ack, now I need to figure out where to split the idea into 2 chapters!

How's everyone doing today?

I'm okay. Screenshotting the rest of BL's next chapter. :)

Me too! I'm at that happy moment where I'm caught up to my screenshots for Grace which means I get to play some more! :)

I'm almost ready to start writing Puppy Love, which is my dogacy! (thanks to @friendsfan367 for the dubbing it a dogacy!).

I've had to play ahead a bunch
    Since the narrator will be the ghost of the initial person who gets the founder pup.... but her life-bar is sparkling now, so I shouldn't have to play too long (though she does have the Long-lived reward trait, so it may be weeks, Simtime, before she's a ghost!).

I'm super excited because it seems like the challenge is working and interesting, and very excited to begin writing! :)

(Since my Sim legacy is called Goofy Love, I figured Puppy Love would be a good name for the dogacy!)

That name is perfect! I am glad you are doing a new legacy. Can't wait to read it!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    That awkward moment when you're stuck on a chapter for days, and when you finally have an idea you write WAY too much.

Me too! I'm at that happy moment where I'm caught up to my screenshots for Grace which means I get to play some more! :)

I'm almost ready to start writing Puppy Love, which is my dogacy! (thanks to @friendsfan367 for the dubbing it a dogacy!).

Since the narrator will be the ghost of the initial person who gets the founder pup.... but her life-bar is sparkling now, so I shouldn't have to play too long (though she does have the Long-lived reward trait, so it may be weeks, Simtime, before she's a ghost!).

I'm super excited because it seems like the challenge is working and interesting, and very excited to begin writing! :)

(Since my Sim legacy is called Goofy Love, I figured Puppy Love would be a good name for the dogacy!)

That name is perfect! I am glad you are doing a new legacy. Can't wait to read it!

Yay! I'm happy you're looking forward to it! It'll definitely have a four-legged approach! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • msbeckycatmsbeckycat Posts: 3,445 Member
    Ayers family 3rd week is almost done. Family is booming. I can'y guarantee that I can build a home for them. Or at least a good sized one.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Thanks @CitizenErased14 and @Simslover163 . I really enjoy drawing, particularly portraits.
    @friendsfan367 that just proves these sims have minds of their own. :D

iwas confused though lastime i did the benders alana broke a dollhouse. so i thought she would break rylan. if i had stuck with the last attempt ahe would have had the longest marriage. after noel and lauren of course.the bender think proving me wrong is funny.
    edited December 2017

gracie and loki seem to be in puppy love. i remade gracie and looki who i also made a pitt of all things is noels new dog. everytime noel and lauren aren't looking they stare and give each other dog kisses.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited December 2017
    @simscognito but if you need names of the founder and her descendants please feel free to PM me. I'm off to watch Iron Man 1
    6adMCGP.gif
    ..... sims have minds of their own. :D

Ain't that the truth!

i learned that the first time ayden met christine. which was two times he said to me i want to be with her. (yes i pretend he talks tome) i said no and sent him back to elsa. because i knew2 things .1 thats what would make sis happy. and 2 i had no idea how write divorce. then ayden being the rebbelous buggar that he is got up in the middle of the night and threw up. translation .your going to learn to write divorce because i wouldn't even know christine without you. she was a npc handywoman at the time. but i learned to write divorce.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited December 2017
    Dropping off another TAT update:

21.jpg
    Shark confronts Kass about her work "mistake" and reveals a secret about Billy.
    1.72 Unwelcome (Shark) [Thick As Thieves]
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Dropping off another TAT update:

21.jpg
    Shark confronts Kass about her work "mistake" and reveals a secret about Billy.
    1.72 Unwelcome (Shark) [Thick As Thieves]

you wrote a update about tatoos?
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    #BUILDNEWCREST CHALLENGE: SIMSELF LEGACY EDITION

- Day 52

As we get closer to the triplets becoming young adults, @pronterus enters the story as the third sim selfie for Generation 2.

12-02-17_6-50-18-PM.png?w=800
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)

- Day 52

As we get closer to the triplets becoming young adults, @pronterus enters the story as the third sim selfie for Generation 2.

yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i have to work again tomorr :) ow so i love when you post early.
    ....i have to work again tomorr :) ow so i love when you post early.

This is actually late for me. I normally would have posted this 22 hours ago. :grimace:
    I'm falling a little behind, but I won't miss a day of posting when I plan to post. I'll just miss my time slot I shoot for.

Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    ....i have to work again tomorr :) ow so i love when you post early.

This is actually late for me. I normally would have posted this 22 hours ago. :grimace:
    I'm falling a little behind, but I won't miss a day of posting when I plan to post. I'll just miss my time slot I shoot for.

i still haven't updated. i think its 7 days now.

great update . time for cake pie ....................oh i guess i should eat dinner too.
    i still haven't updated. i think its 7 days now.

great update . time for cake pie ....................oh i guess i should eat dinner too.

I still have one final sim selfie to introduce. The second SimGuru.

But wait! There will be another sim selfie!

DeVGr.gif
    Who and why?
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    edited December 2017
    I had a few thoughts on some of the writing troubles people mentioned.

Trouble with dialogue?
    * Read it aloud. If it doesn't sound natural, change the wording around.
    * Practice with a friend.
    * Observe natural dialogue... technically this is eavesdropping... lol... I like to people watch and sometimes I pick up good lines to use or if that's too awkward...
    * Try watching a movie scene that you think does dialogue well and take notes.
    * Keep a list of "words" or "phrases" you like when you hear them to incorporate.
    * Don't be afraid to experiment, tweak, try different things, etc.
    * Don't get hung up on parts of speech in dialogue. Most people, in an everyday conversation, don't care and don't even notice they break a grammar rule (i.e. ending with a preposition, using slang, double negatives, etc.).
    * Try to avoid revealing too much exposition in dialogue. If it flows naturally, cool. If not, try explaining the details in the narrative.
    * It's okay to skip over sections. You don't need to write every little thing said in a conversation (i.e. Hellos, goodbyes, listing off items to purchase at the store, etc.)
    * If you want to convey strong emotions, try starting and stopping and restarting. It's okay if the character stutters, doesn't know what to say, repeats themselves, etc. It makes it feel authentic, especially if a person is upset and crying or angry and fuming.
    * Think about how a character sounds. This might sound weird, but I picture the sound. Like for example, Kass sounds very much like me when she talks so I don't even think about it, and she has a tendency to ramble. :D I picture a bubbling river. Brendon is wordy, articulate, persuasive, so I picture a person speaking at a podium. Gage is passionate so I picture fire when he talks. This helps me get in the frame of mind of my character and their way of speaking.

Trouble with romantic scenes?
    * The old adage is "write what you know," so if you feel comfortable, think about your own experiences.
    * Read a book or watch a movie for inspiration.
    * Ask a friend to help you read through or work through a scene or for ideas (again, if you're comfortable).
    * Know your characters and how they would react in situations. For example, Kass is pretty clumsy and awkward and she's no different in romantic moments. Billy is confident and suave. Brendon is flirty and inappropriate at times, but he has a good heart. Gage is sensitive and insecure, but he loves with his whole heart.
    * Focus on the "love scene" not the woohoo. Focus on the emotions, not the physical as much (and you don't need to use technical terms; you can use metaphors and imagery instead or nothing at all, and just literally focus on what feels "safe" (i.e. eyes, hands, etc.). It might also help to jot some notes about the type of emotions and experience you're trying to portray before getting started. Pay attention to those emotions and the tone as you write.
    * Use your five senses to help you get into the scene. Think about sights, sounds, feelings, smells, and tastes (if they apply) that your POV character is experiencing.
    * Remember the plot. If it doesn't make sense to include a scene, don't. If it makes sense to cut out at the beginning, do it. You don't need to walk through an entire scene. You can just write set-up or conclusion and that might be enough for your plot and your readers.
    * Be realistic. First dates, first kisses, first times can be awkward. Don't forget that. Nothing is ever perfect in real life and it shouldn't be in your stories either. It's okay if things get awkward, weird, uncomfortable, or messy.
    * Do what you feel is comfortable and fits your style. I cannot stress this enough. If you've never written romantic or woohoo scenes up to this point, you don't have to, but I would also say, it's okay to challenge yourself and try something new so don't be afraid to try. Your readers will most likely continue along the ride with you. You can always add disclaimers at the top of your posts, or write an alternate "PG" or "G" post.

That being said... my strengths? Dialogue. :p And probably character creation and world building.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Trouble with dialogue?
    * Observe natural dialogue... technically this is eavesdropping... lol... I like to people watch and sometimes I pick up good lines to use or if that's too awkward...
    * Keep a list of "words" or "phrases" you like when you hear them to incorporate.
    * Don't get hung up on parts of speech in dialogue. Most people, in an everyday conversation, don't care and don't even notice they break a grammar rule (i.e. ending with a preposition, using slang, double negatives, etc.).
    * Try to avoid revealing too much exposition in dialogue. If it flows naturally, cool. If not, try explaining the details in the narrative.
    * It's okay to skip over sections. You don't need to write every little thing said in a conversation (i.e. Hellos, goodbyes, listing off items to purchase at the store, etc.)
    * If you want to convey strong emotions, try starting and stopping and restarting. It's okay if the character stutters, doesn't know what to say, repeats themselves, etc. It makes it feel authentic, especially if a person is upset and crying or angry and fuming.
    * Think about how a character sounds. This might sound weird, but I picture the sound. Like for example, Kass sounds very much like me when she talks so I don't even think about it, and she has a tendency to ramble. :D I picture a bubbling river. Brendon is wordy, articulate, persuasive, so I picture a person speaking at a podium. Gage is passionate so I picture fire when he talks. This helps me get in the frame of mind of my character and their way of speaking.

* The old adage is "write what you know," so if you feel comfortable, think about your own experiences.
    * Ask a friend to help you read through or work through a scene or for ideas (again, if you're comfortable).
    * Know your characters and how they would react in situations. For example, Kass is pretty clumsy and awkward and she's no different in romantic moments. Billy is confident and suave. Brendon is flirty and inappropriate at times, but he has a good heart. Gage is sensitive and insecure, but he loves with his whole heart.
    * Focus on the "love scene" not the woohoo. Focus on the emotions, not the physical as much (and you don't need to use technical terms; you can use metaphors and imagery instead or nothing at all, and just literally focus on what feels "safe" (i.e. eyes, hands, etc.). It might also help to jot some notes about the type of emotions and experience you're trying to portray before getting started. Pay attention to those emotions and the tone as you write.
    * Use your five senses to help you get into the scene. Think about sights, sounds, feelings, smells, and tastes (if they apply) that your POV character is experiencing.
    * Remember the plot. If it doesn't make sense to include a scene, don't. If it makes sense to cut out at the beginning, do it. You don't need to walk through an entire scene. You can just write set-up or conclusion and that might be enough for your plot and your readers.
    * Be realistic. First dates, first kisses, first times can be awkward. Don't forget that. Nothing is ever perfect in real life and it shouldn't be in your stories either. It's okay if things get awkward, weird, uncomfortable, or messy.
    * Do what you feel is comfortable and fits your style. I cannot stress this enough. If you've never written romantic or woohoo scenes up to this point, you don't have to, but I would also say, it's okay to challenge yourself and try something new so don't be afraid to try. Your readers will most likely continue along the ride with you. You can always add disclaimers at the top of your posts, or write an alternate "PG" or "G" post.

That being said... my strengths? Dialogue. :p And probably character creation and world building.

@AdamsEve1231 What if you never been in the dating world yourself so your only know from TV shows and books and what you picked up from your friends who have sweethearts? So how can one "Write what you know" when you never had any romantic experience yourself?
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited December 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231 What if you never been in the dating world yourself so your only know from TV shows and books and what you picked up from your friends who have sweethearts? So how can one "Write what you know" when you never had any romantic experience yourself?

@MadameLee Well that's why I added things like ask your friends, get inspired by a book or movie, etc. I did write romantic scenes way back in the day before dating (not Sims, but other things). Speaking of Sims, you can take cues from your Sims in-game (i.e. their attitudes, posture, expressions, and actions can tell you a lot and help inform a scene). And write what you know is an adage. It's not mandatory. Otherwise, we'd never have science fiction or fantasy because no one's living in space (that we know of) or with giant orcs and other fantastical creatures. :p

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Trouble with dialogue?

my problem is i remember the plot theni go in game and the benders don't seem to care. i once spent ten real minutes just trying to find ayden and christine.

i take the part about the benders not caring back alana is kind of like me fiesty sometimes inappropriate but well meaning. and she and rylan did cooperate in the last attempt. the ones with screenshots weren't made up. and the other reason i say shes like me is it took her time to come to the realization that she loved rylan.
    MadameLee wrote: »

@MadameLee Well that's why I added things like ask your friends, get inspired by a book or movie, etc. I did write romantic scenes way back in the day before dating (not Sims, but other things). Speaking of Sims, you can take cues from your Sims in-game (i.e. their attitudes, posture, expressions, and actions can tell you a lot and help inform a scene). And write what you know is an adage. It's not mandatory. Otherwise, we'd never have science fiction or fantasy because no one's living in space (that we know of) or with giant orcs and other fantastical creatures. :p

I never been kidnapped, but I always happen to play even as a child with my Original Fisher Price Little People toys&sets or by baby dolls kidnapping stories. Which I somehow still continued to this day w/ sims. I attribute it to books like Nancy Drew or Tom and Liz Austen series (the latter is Canadian series) because during the climax of the story the main character or characters (with T&L Austen series' its either one or the other's story occasionally there were like maybe 4? books which had both) get kidnapped by whomever the villain of the story is.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member

- Day 52

Ohh that's cool :lol:
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Anyone else not looking forward to January? I'm not really, can it just stay December for a while. Stuff coming up in January that I want to put off for a while.
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    Anyone else not looking forward to January? I'm not really, can it just stay December for a while. Stuff coming up in January that I want to put off for a while.

I want January to get here. Too many days off work in December. I can't pay my bills if I'm not working.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
  • SimmerSteffieSimmerSteffie Posts: 723 Member

I'm the opposite actually.
    October & November were not great months personally + this month is super hectic at work.
    Bring on the new year for me.
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Skcaga6 wrote: »

I want January to get here. Too many days off work in December. I can't pay my bills if I'm not working.

I'm the opposite actually.
    October & November were not great months personally + this month is super hectic at work.
    Bring on the new year for me.

I think there's only two things in January i'm looking forward to. Sales and something i've been waiting for since at least July.

Actually this discussion had me thinking back to 2009 when I was like, that's way in the future but it's not so far away now.
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    Skcaga6 wrote: »

Same here. I only get paid if there's work to do, and there are many things to spend on this month since it's the Christmas season.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top