Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Console controls

EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
Hi Simmers,

We have seen quite a few questions and discussions surrounding the controls so I thought this is the perfect opportunity to put our heads together and share some tips & tricks regarding controls.

I'll start with the basics and a few not so basic, if you have tips of your own to share drop a post below. I will keep updating the OP with all the new tips that come in :)

BASIC CONTROLS FOR XBOX

Create a Sim (CAS):

ts4-xbox-one-controls-create-a-sim.jpg

Build Mode:

ts4-xbox-one-controls-build-mode-menu.jpg
ts4-xbox-one-controls-build-mode-game-1.jpg
ts4-xbox-one-controls-build-mode-game-2.jpg

Live Mode:

ts4-xbox-one-controls-live-mode-menu.jpg
ts4-xbox-one-controls-live-mode-game.jpg

BASIC CONTROLS FOR PLAYSTATION

Create a Sim (CAS):

ts4-ps4-controls-create-a-sim.jpg

Build Mode:

ts4-ps4-controls-build-mode-menu.jpg
ts4-ps4-controls-build-mode-game-1.jpg
ts4-ps4-controls-build-mode-game-2.jpg

Live Mode:

ts4-ps4-controls-live-mode-menu.jpg
ts4-ps4-controls-live-mode-game.jpg

ADVANCED TRICKS

Live Mode:
  • Open cheats bar:
    Xbox: Press both the left and right triggers and bumpers (LT + RT + LB + RB)
    PlayStation: Press L1 + L2 + R1 + R2 all at the same time
    Heads up: You will need to introduce testingcheats on to use cheats. If you use testingcheats, achievements will be disabled for the current save game.
  • Show cheat options when clicking on Sims/objects (equivalent to Shift + click on PC):
    Xbox: press B + A. Make sure to press B first, and then A while holding B.
    PlayStation: press O + X. Make sure to press O first, and then X while holding O.
  • Lock panels like the needs panel: press the right stick to pin an open panel.
  • Sell inventory stacks: while having the stack selected in the inventory:
    Xbox: press X + Y at the same time.
    PlayStation: press square + triangle at the same time.
    *If you are unable to press Ok in the dialogue that opens, press circle or B to go back and try again

Buy/Build Mode:
  • Toggle between grid / half grid / free object placing:
    This will allow you to place objects outside the grid.
    Xbox: Press the left trigger (LT)
    PlayStation: Press L2
  • Rotate objects: while having an object selected:
    Xbox: press LB or RB.
    PlayStation: press L1 or R1.
  • Rotate objects to any angle: while having an object selected:
    Xbox: press LB/RB at the same time, then right stick to rotate.
    PlayStation: press L1/R1 at the same time, then right stick to rotate.
  • Rotate floor tile: triangle (PS4) or Y (Xbox) while using the single floor tile tool.
  • Toggle between full floor tile/quarter of a floor tile: square (PS4) or X (Xbox) while using the single floor tile tool.
  • Toggle full room and 1 wall when painting: R1 or L1 (PS4) - either one of the Bumpers (Xbox) when using painting tool. Also applies when placing floor tiles or windows.
  • Change object size: while having an object selected:
    Xbox: press both triggers + left (smaller)/right (bigger)
    PlayStation: press L2 and R2 + left (smaller)/right (bigger)
  • Change object elevation: introduce the cheat 'bb.moveobjects on' to activate moveobjects. Once active, while having an object selected:
    Xbox: press both triggers + up/down
    PlayStation: press L2 and R2 + up/down
Have more to add to the list? Let us know below ;)
Post edited by EA_Mai on

Comments

• JPNekoJPNeko Posts: 296 Member
    Thanks for this very useful guide. I'd like to know how to paint both a whole wall and a whole room with one click (in build mode). I saw it somewhere but I forgot how to do it.
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    edited November 2017
    @JPNeko Added the following:
    • Toggle full room and 1 wall when painting: Press R1 or L1 (PS4) - either one of the Bumpers (Xbox) when using painting tool. Also applies when placing floor tiles or windows.

Thank you!
  • PeinNegatoPeinNegato Posts: 1 New Member
    @EA_Mage can you please tell me of the game supports mouse and keyboard on the ps4, and if not, if you guys are planing to launch.
    Or some kind of slider to the mouse sensitiviti?
    Thanks
  • sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    Is there a way to sell a whole stack in the inventory? The triangle button is ok, but it can be very tedious if your SIM has 99+ tomatoes etc.
  • JPNekoJPNeko Posts: 296 Member
    > @EA_Mage said:
    > * Toggle full room and 1 wall when painting: Press R1 or L1 (PS4) - either one of the Bumpers (Xbox) when using painting tool. Also applies when placing floor tiles or windows.

Thanks a lot!
  • JesskiJesski Posts: 52 Member
    Is there a way to sell a whole stack in the inventory? The triangle button is ok, but it can be very tedious if your SIM has 99+ tomatoes etc.

I found out that you can press square and triangle at the same time it will sell the whole stack.
    PeinNegato wrote: »
    @EA_Mage can you please tell me of the game supports mouse and keyboard on the ps4, and if not, if you guys are planing to launch.
    Or some kind of slider to the mouse sensitiviti?
    Thanks

Keyboard and mouse are not supported for the Sims 4 on console with the exception that you can use the keyboard to type in names/cheats.

On potential changes - I don't have any info on the future, but I will forward on the feedback.

-Mage
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    Hello, can you rotate objects freely ( 360°) like we can on PC? When I push R1 on my ps4 it only rotate in 45°~ish steps.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

edited November 2017
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Hello, can you rotate objects freely ( 360°) like we can on PC? When I push R1 on my ps4 it only rotate in 45°~ish steps.

45° rotation is the intended behavior, full free 360° is not an option on consoles.

-Mage
  • MrStrangeMrStrange Posts: 66 Member
    Does anyone actually use the triggers to snap to available Sims? I think if not controlling the time , it should be used to snap from menu to menu. Career, needs, etc. Those menus specifically in the bottom right.
    Then just press B (or O) or the windows/select/back button ( whatever it's called now ) button to toggle back out after looking.

The Sims 3 has a good control scheme, maybe put that in the options as an alternate?
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    Thank you very much for for your Reply @EA_Mage !!! o:)
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• CrimsonBerniaCrimsonBernia Posts: 2 New Member
    @EA_Mage Whenever I’m on build mode on PS4 and I try to undo something, it toggles search mode and it can get really frustrating when I need to keep exiting it just so I can undo something again. Is there anyway I can stop this?
  • turnerbob074turnerbob074 Posts: 4 New Member
    Is there any way to move objects up and down in build mode, like how on pc you can use 9 and 0
  • GnosisSimmerGnosisSimmer Posts: 1 New Member
    @EA_Mage I’m having the exact same problem as @CrimsonBernia, but on Xbox One. The Y/Triangle button is grayed out and there is no option to use the quick tools like the eyedropping or the design tool. Building is so much more tedious now and takes twice as long :s
  • Artemis_AbaddonArtemis_Abaddon Posts: 5 New Member
    @GnosisSimmer

When I’m build mode I can normally just press X on objects for the design tool options, it does not work for every object it seems. In terms of the eye dropper you have to press Y and A, Y brings up the eye dropper and pressing A copies the object or design, like while holding Y you press A.

I have the same problem with having to exit out and select an object and placing it to be able to undo things, but have not encountered the problems you are having. Perhaps you have tabs (like floor tiles and such) open and that is causing the conflict? Cannot say I have had that happen to be before.

Only thing related is having to keep using the eye dropper to copy objects I want multiple of instead of just being able to paste as many times as I like.
    Is there any way to move objects up and down in build mode, like how on pc you can use 9 and 0

There is currently no way to move objects up/down, but I am forwarding the feedback.

@CrimsonBernia @Artemis_Abaddon The undo issue is a bug.
    The Y/Triangle button is grayed out and there is no option to use the quick tools like the eyedropping or the design tool. Building is so much more tedious now and takes twice as long :s

Could you provide more info on this? What exactly are you doing when this happens? What mode are you in and what tools are you using? If you could add a link to a picture where this happens it would be helpful.

Thanks,
    -Mage
  • EngBenhourEngBenhour Posts: 10 New Member
    @EA_Mage

I'm having the same issues during buy / build mode. The eyedropper tool often does not work. I also can not cancel the selection of an object (in buy / build mode); To choose another object and deselect the previous one, I have to click the B button many times (it even hurts the finger)
  • EngBenhourEngBenhour Posts: 10 New Member
    > @CrimsonBernia said:
    > @EA_Mage Whenever I’m on build mode on PS4 and I try to undo something, it toggles search mode and it can get really frustrating when I need to keep exiting it just so I can undo something again. Is there anyway I can stop this?

That always happens to me, too. I play (try) on xbox one
  • StarlitebabiiStarlitebabii Posts: 1 New Member
    I can't select any Commands. My cursor is stuck on go here
    Xbox one version
  • crashhat141crashhat141 Posts: 90 Member
    What were they thinking when they added the controls for this game?! Having to switch back a fourth between the two control types is a pain in the butt. I don't know why they didn't just add the sims 3 console controls
  • PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    edited November 2017
    Edit: nevermind, figured it out :D
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • vegan_beaver01vegan_beaver01 Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="EngBenhour;c-16188002"]@EA_Mage

I'm having the same issues during buy / build mode. The eyedropper tool often does not work. I also can not cancel the selection of an object (in buy / build mode); To choose another object and deselect the previous one, I have to click the B button many times (it even hurts the finger)[/quote]

I'm having this exact same problem. Hope there's a patch or a way to fix it now...
  • CrimsonBerniaCrimsonBernia Posts: 2 New Member
    @EA_Mage Will there be anymore Star Wars outfits for console/pc? I think it’d be a good idea to make Rey and Kylo ren’s costumes from the force awakens for the sims, to celebrate their new film ‘The last Jedi’
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    What were they thinking when they added the controls for this game?! Having to switch back a fourth between the two control types is a pain in the butt. I don't know why they didn't just add the sims 3 console controls

This is looking more like a list of all the things you can’t do on the console in comparison to PC.

A hot mess :D
  • crashhat141crashhat141 Posts: 90 Member
    Anyone know how to sell a stack of items that is in your inventory? It kind of sucks having to sell one by one especially when you have a lot to sell