Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Phantasmal Fantasy Reading Circle (Looking for members)

Comments

• pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    @15aewar Thanks for answering the questions! :)

As for the Archon names:
    I pick a random country on the world map and get a name from it. Then I pick a name at random. Yes, I got Rembrandt from the painter. I forgot how I got Hashem though, I think it was destroyer or something. Though the favorite name I came up with was the Grand Archon's.
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited November 2017
    pronterus wrote: »
    @15aewar Thanks for answering the questions! :)

As for the Archon names:
    I pick a random country on the world map and get a name from it. Then I pick a name at random. Yes, I got Rembrandt from the painter. I forgot how I got Hashem though, I think it was destroyer or something. Though the favorite name I came up with was the Grand Archon's.

Both kinda make sense, don't they?

EDIT: Sorry I wasn't able to make it through chapter 10. I think the second arc will be my goal next time!
    Post edited by 15aewar on
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    pronterus wrote: »
    Here are the questions for this week! I'll keep the questions related to the first arc for now.
    1. Which character are you most interested in so far?

2. What do you think about the characters' pasts that have been revealed?
    3. How's the world-building in my story? What do you think?
    4. Which chapter do you like the most in this arc?
    5. What do you think the Don's real motive might be?

That's all I can think of for now.
    1. Doc and Sita are probably the pair I'm most interested in as of the end of the first arc. Him because of the big reveal and how he's now looking close to getting his memories back and her because she just learned she's related to a vampire. I'm really interested to see where things go next with the two of them and their relationship.
    2. Like I said in the comments I really loved the twist about Doc and the Don. I had guessed that Doc was Miguel but the truth about the Don caught be completely by surprise. I don't know if it was intentional but I do have to say you used misdirection very well with that by making it out like the real Domingo was dead during the servant story.
    3. The world building so far is intriguing. I haven't seen all that much of the world overall but just the details and lore about the vampire society you've created makes me want to read more :)
    4. The revelation arc was my favorite followed by the servant story. Like mentioned I really enjoyed that twist so the combination of how those two chapters set it up and revealed it was impeccable.
    5. As I've said I've never been much of one for theorizing so I honestly couldn't say.
    Awesome answers @AuroraLockwood :)@15aewar

I hope the second arc is also as interesting as the first one for you guys :)
    I thought I would cross post this here since I figured you two might be interested in.

vampnet1.jpg

Due to my current writers block with my main story I've decided on the completely brilliant (no way this could possibly backfire on me :tongue: ) plan of starting a second story in addition to my first to give myself something else to work on and my mind a chance to refresh.

It's going to be a blog styled story in the vein of what I did in the past for those that were around for those but mixed with my current vampiric theme and based in the same world as my main story.

For those who aren't familiar with my previous stories "blog style" basically means that I treat the posts as the characters blog where they are the ones writing and posting pictures as well as creating a fictional in world comment section for other in game characters to post on.

In addition to this I am doing a casting call because for this story I need vampires and thought it would be fun to crowd source a few of the background characters from the lounge :)

The only guidelines are:

1. No glowing eyes, pointy ears, or excessive fangs in normal form, but do have glowing eyes and fangs in dark form (pointy ears and excessive fangs are optional for dark form). The basic idea in my stories world is that normal form is the appearance they have that lets them pass among humans while dark form is their more vampiric true form. Pale skin is fine for normal form though try to keep anything overly vampiric looking for the dark form.

2. No face cracks.

3. Please provide a basic personality description of the character to help me write for them. The extras are intended to be background residents of the town/potential commenters on my characters blog so while I make no promises they will comment it helps in case I have to refer to them write for them as I go. If you would like you can create a background character and opt out of them potentially commenting.

4. Please provide a username for the character if you are fine with them commenting on the blog.

5. Basic world explanation. There are two core classifications of vampires in my world. The covens/broods which are organized groups of vampires lead by a countess/count respectively. And there are the outcasts who are vampires who were either turned but not brought into a coven/brood or who were born outside of them to start with. Vampire hunters also exist in the world but don't have any real organized force. They are more lone wolf types working on their own.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to join in :)
    I thought I would cross post this here since I figured you two might be interested in.

vampnet1.jpg

Due to my current writers block with my main story I've decided on the completely brilliant (no way this could possibly backfire on me :tongue: ) plan of starting a second story in addition to my first to give myself something else to work on and my mind a chance to refresh.

It's going to be a blog styled story in the vein of what I did in the past for those that were around for those but mixed with my current vampiric theme and based in the same world as my main story.

For those who aren't familiar with my previous stories "blog style" basically means that I treat the posts as the characters blog where they are the ones writing and posting pictures as well as creating a fictional in world comment section for other in game characters to post on.

In addition to this I am doing a casting call because for this story I need vampires and thought it would be fun to crowd source a few of the background characters from the lounge :)

The only guidelines are:

1. No glowing eyes, pointy ears, or excessive fangs in normal form, but do have glowing eyes and fangs in dark form (pointy ears and excessive fangs are optional for dark form). The basic idea in my stories world is that normal form is the appearance they have that lets them pass among humans while dark form is their more vampiric true form. Pale skin is fine for normal form though try to keep anything overly vampiric looking for the dark form.

2. No face cracks.

3. Please provide a basic personality description of the character to help me write for them. The extras are intended to be background residents of the town/potential commenters on my characters blog so while I make no promises they will comment it helps in case I have to refer to them write for them as I go. If you would like you can create a background character and opt out of them potentially commenting.

4. Please provide a username for the character if you are fine with them commenting on the blog.

5. Basic world explanation. There are two core classifications of vampires in my world. The covens/broods which are organized groups of vampires lead by a countess/count respectively. And there are the outcasts who are vampires who were either turned but not brought into a coven/brood or who were born outside of them to start with. Vampire hunters also exist in the world but don't have any real organized force. They are more lone wolf types working on their own.

My avatar looks pretty normal in her regular form; all I have to do is remove the fangs! (Also - would I be able to comment on the blog in the form of a character? I'd run everything by you. Of course, the username would be Rendora, same as my blog >:) )

Anyway, here she is in her dark form, talking to Vlad.
    joQdzCU.png?1

I'll put her up on the gallery tomorrow, but for now, here's some basic information:
    Name: Hastur Corvayn
    Username: Rendora
    Count: Some mysterious figure who calls himself Y. S. No one's ever seen him except Hastur.
    Underlings: Dr. Allen (whom she may or may not refer to; He has a very specific and peculiar manner of speaking.)
    edited November 2017
    15aewar wrote: »

vampnet1.jpg

The only guidelines are:

2. No face cracks.

My avatar looks pretty normal in her regular form; all I have to do is remove the fangs! (Also - would I be able to comment on the blog in the form of a character? I'd run everything by you. Of course, the username would be Rendora, same as my blog >:) )

Anyway, here she is in her dark form, talking to Vlad.
    joQdzCU.png?1

I'll put her up on the gallery tomorrow, but for now, here's some basic information:
    Name: Hastur Corvayn
    Username: Rendora
    Count: Some mysterious figure who calls himself Y. S. No one's ever seen him except Hastur.
    Underlings: Dr. Allen (whom she may or may not refer to; He has a very specific and peculiar manner of speaking.)

Sorry I should have mentioned, I'd rather stick with original sims rather than direct characters from other stories. It just makes it a bit simpler and keeps things from feeling crossover-ish. As to commenting as a character I was already planning to let people do that though I'd prefer it as a non in world character rather than one of the in world ones.

Also just a fun note. It is possible to change your name when commenting on Wordpress blogs. I used to do that with one of the old blog style stories to post as the in story characters. When you go to comment you should see the words log out and change under the comment box. If you click change it brings up text boxes and you can fill in an email/username you want to comment as (I always just used my usual account email and then used the name of the character I was trying to comment as. I believe it still registers it as your account commenting and it will use your avatar image but it changes the username shown. Afterwards you just hit the icon pertaining to whatever account you log into wordpress through and it will put you back as your normal account.

If you look at the comments of the post linked below for example you will see a wonderful example of me geekily talking to myself :tongue:

https://drakehammondsims.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/this-is-absolutely-me-post-14/

Sorry I should have mentioned, I'd rather stick with original sims rather than direct characters from other stories. It just makes it a bit simpler and keeps things from feeling crossover-ish. As to commenting as a character I was already planning to let people do that though I'd prefer it as a non in world character rather than one of the in world ones.

Also just a fun note. It is possible to change your name when commenting on Wordpress blogs. I used to do that with one of the old blog style stories to post as the in story characters. When you go to comment you should see the words log out and change under the comment box. If you click change it brings up text boxes and you can fill in an email/username you want to comment as (I always just used my usual account email and then used the name of the character I was trying to comment as. I believe it still registers it as your account commenting and it will use your avatar image but it changes the username shown. Afterwards you just hit the icon pertaining to whatever account you log into wordpress through and it will put you back as your normal account.

If you look at the comments of the post linked below for example you will see a wonderful example of me geekily talking to myself :tongue:

https://drakehammondsims.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/this-is-absolutely-me-post-14/

No crossovers? I think crossovers are fun. :(
    15aewar wrote: »

No crossovers? I think crossovers are fun. :(

I have no issue with crossovers but in this case I just want to keep it to original characters so I don't end up with half the town being characters from other stories.

vampnet1.jpg

The only guidelines are:

2. No face cracks.

I'll probably upload a vamp sim for that soon.
    edited November 2017
    And the story of the week is now my The Family Black story..... with it's 1 new chapter :p (I really need to get some progress made on that :lol:

Edit: Just treat this week as a break week and we can look at my story once I actually make a bit more progress.
    And the story of the week is now my The Family Black story..... with it's 1 new chapter :p (I really need to get some progress made on that :lol:

Edit: Just treat this week as a break week and we can look at my story once I actually make a bit more progress.

That's not a bad idea. :smile:
    @15aewar @pronterus @pupshadow22

A big welcome to our newest member of the Phantasmal Fantasy Reading Circle @simscognito

His story Friends of Foes and it's details have been added to the top posts.
    Welcome @simscognito ! Hope you have fun in this reading circle!
    @15aewar @pronterus @pupshadow22 @simscognito

A bit off topic but I though you all might be interested in this. It's a webcomic I stumbled across

http://www.wildelifecomic.com/comic/1
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    edited November 2017
    Thanks @AuroraLockwood @15aewar and @pronterus. Just been reading everyone's simlit. Up to date with everybody's, except @pronterus. I'm up to chapter 2A with yours - it's very funny, so I doubt it's going to take me very long to catch up. I love how everyone's writing styles are different, means more interesting discussions.

Just checked out the comic, @AuroraLockwood . It speaks the truth. :D
    @pronterus @15aewar @pupshadow22 @simscognito

A question for everyone.

Our reading circle has now hit 5 members which is the level that many stop accepting new members. Do you want to have 5 be the max for our circle or do you think we should have a higher limit?
    Having 5 members is okay with me.
    Yeah, I'm fine with 5 members too, but I'm not fussed either way.
    @15aewar Just mentioning I think your banner has glitched out.
    edited November 2017
    I finally created a VampNet character for you @AuroraLockwood !

4RkGowY.jpg

Name: Jeffrey Tatlonghari
    Username: maddielim7107 (Fun fact: His username is a pun on the Tagalog word for dark)
    Personality: Jeff considers himself one of the friendliest people in the graveyard shift at the office, often inviting coworkers for a drink in the locker room. He loves to read self-help books in his spare time and is the type of vampire who can't control himself from counting things.
    Affiliation: He's part of a brood made up entirely of immigrant vampires.
    Typing quirk: he does not capitalize his words and does not add punctuation marks
    Trivia:
    >His last name means "The Three Kings" in Tagalog
    >His favorite self-help book: "How to Deceive Friends and Manipulate People"
    Post edited by pronterus on
    Going by your responses I'm removing the looking for members listing from the top of the thread. If ever any of you feel like we might want to look into expanding further down the road feel free to mention and we can discuss it again at that time.
    Hi, @AuroraLockwood, @pronterus, @pupshadow22 and @15aewar. I'm unsure if we have begun the reading cycle again, since it's only Monday, but if we have, I'm going to ask @AuroraLockwood this question,

I find your characters complex and all have different personalities. Was there a particular process you went through to develop them or did they come to you naturally?
    edited November 2017
    Hi, @AuroraLockwood, @pronterus, @pupshadow22 and @15aewar. I'm unsure if we have begun the reading cycle again, since it's only Monday, but if we have, I'm going to ask @AuroraLockwood this question,

I find your characters complex and all have different personalities. Was there a particular process you went through to develop them or did they come to you naturally?

@simscognito Mostly it's just a matter of a character idea that just comes to me and what feels right though I do have a general process.

For example with Rylie:

Initially with my story I started with the concept of a whirlwind romance between a vampire and a human, as such when I began the basic idea I had for Rylie was just that as a character she needed to be someone who would be brave/stubborn/foolish enough to pursue that relationship regardless of the dangers that existed as a result. Going by this I initially planned her out as a headstrong city girl and from her initial appearance was intended to be kind of a punk type of character (ripped denim, loud music, etc). Not necessarily the most original concept but it gave me a jumping off point. Eventually that changed just as a result of looking back and not being happy with the way the character was shaping up and she turned into a more laid back country girl mainly because I wanted a somewhat lighter toned character (both physically and personality wise) to contrast with the darker tone of the vampire characters.

Through all of this though I still kept her fairly basic and when the story started the idea of her was simply that she was a headstrong foolish country girl who moved to the city because she didn't want to be a farmer. From there I then just let the character evolve based on what the story needs and what I come up with as I go. For example details like her competitiveness with her brother Carter and her lack of any real traditional job both came to me as I wrote. Her brother because I wanted to have the subject of family (and Rosea's lack on one growing up) come up leading into the first full introduction of Kaiphus in chapter 12 and Rylie's more laid back way of earning a living came up because I felt it suited her personality of someone who doesn't really have a solid direction so much as they just go with what they feel like.

This style allows me to both fit the character to the story that evolves as I go as well as meaning that I get a nice gradual reveal of the character overtime without front loading all the details. It also makes it more enjoyable to write because it means that as I go I'm continuously creating and learning more about the characters rather than just writing out a bunch of stuff I already know.

Also as to the cycle this past week was actually me but we pretty much called it an off week because I had only written a single chapter since my previous round. I was actually thinking of having your story have center stage starting tomorrow since you just joined. Is that all right with everyone? @pronterus @15aewar