Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 Pets vs Sims 4 Pets

RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
Any other Sims 2 lovers feel disappointed about the Sims 4 Cats and Dogs? I just don't see how they're better than even the Sims 2 cats and dogs. At least these pets actually worked without bugs or poor AI. The new pets don't even look any more realistic than the Sims 2 ones. All this is making me want to play Sims 2 Pets again.

Comments

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Disappointed? No, that would mean I actually gave a "plum" about it. I don't, or any of the rest of that iteration. Caring stopped a long time ago. Don't own a single thing for it and never will. Just from what I have heard around, I can say 2 had far less bugs, better looking pet beds, and dog houses. :D Oh ya and it didn't make things so childish the animals reproduced by rubbing noses...seriously?? Anyway if you feel like playing 2 pets again that is what you should do. :)
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    edited November 2017
    I didn't play sims 4 pets (can't buy a new desktoop ♫ yep, i'm singing this sentence ^^') but they look cute (a simmer show a picture of the two dogs sleeping in the bedroom of the toddler and following her everywhere, exactly the kind of thing my dog used to do when he was alive).
    But yes, sims 2 pets are less buggy. I just wish i had more stuff for them, because honestly they don't have much. The dogs only have one toy, same for the cats.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    The pets themselves act like pets in TS4 but yeah, TS2 did them waaaaay better. You can’t wven see their age or needs or anything in TS4.

—T
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I think the way cats and dogs behave in 4 is a lot better personally. When Cats and Dogs was announced I decided to jump on the hype train by playing Sims 2 and 3 Pets, and now that I've moved onto 4 I can say from my experience the cats and dogs in 4 really do stand out in terms of their behaviour, they really are quite distinct and different based on their traits. One thing 4 I would say also does better than 2 and 3 is changing the dynamic of a household with a pet vs without a pet. In 2 and 3 the only times I really interacted with my pet is when I had to train them, or decided to play with the gameplay a cat or dog offered, in 4 however they really force me to change the way I play, and depending on who you are that could be a good thing or a bad thing. I personally love it as my gameplay differs in households with pets as opposed to those without pets. In 2 and 3 I could generally ignore the pet and they'd be fine.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    They're cute. I think they go well with that game.

I don't really care too much about pets in the games. They can be fun if the houses are small. I haven't played them in TS4 but I don't think they'll make me like the game any more than I don't already.

I don't want to HAVE to play with them if I have them so I like TS2 and TS3 just fine.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The sims 2 is better. You can see your pets needs, relationships, skills and pets aren't needy. Also a bored pet acts like a bored pet and Is destructive. There is pet beds, careers and I just feel being able to see all the info makes them more fun.
  • allieb028allieb028 Posts: 44 Member
    TS2 did a lot of things right. The new pet expansion was cool at first and then in a couple of hours you will be like that's it? I wish of I would of gotten it on sale or something and not pay that forty bucks.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    allieb028 wrote: »
    TS2 did a lot of things right. The new pet expansion was cool at first and then in a couple of hours you will be like that's it? I wish of I would of gotten it on sale or something and not pay that forty bucks.

Does C&D let your pet choose who is master? Once you reach 'master' status in TS2 the dog or cat is more likely to listen to that particular Sim.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    I didn't like pets in TS2 for how they would break the fears cycle, which ruled them out from my runs. However, going from "clickable" to "controlable" to downright "unclickable" makes TS4 pets worse in comparaison.
  • RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Then you should play TS2 Pets for awhile and you will see the differences. I didn't have to buy TS4 C&D to know it is a watered down version and lot of animations and interactions left out. Let alone dog houses, pet beds, pet treats and toys, spontainous interactions, stats/motives, hiring a trainer, jobs, special collars (earned/unlockable) mating, traits/like brave, praisng not just scolding, controllabe cheat menu, etc.. etc.

It reminds me of mobile game ad ons, cute doesn't cut it. It's been years since I gave my Sims in TS2 a pet, but even I know TS4 is watered down pet EP. They kept saying stuff like but cats can jump on things...they do in TS2, too, so....? And TS2 pets show their emotions, maybe better than TS4 cats and dogs do. TS2 pets have thought bubbles, which added to the story and sometimes helpful, sometimes funny. Special animations like when you had to give up a litter, the police came to take them away and the Sim runs to the car to watch them go and is crying.

I don't think TS4 gets Sim players at all. I think what they understand is 'going through the motions' (just like a mobile game) and nothing more.

Don't worry, I certainly didn't buy it! I knew enough from seeing the trailers/gameplay vids/info on the forums to know it would be disappointing. It's just frustrating that pets are the latest casualty in the Sims 4 hash job of old content. It just disappoints me so much that this is how it is, in the fourth game. Anyone who didn't know would would think the Sims 4 is the sequel to the Sims 1. It just upsets me because I always loved pets in the Sims. And you're totally right about the pets themselves, they were definitely more expressive and realistic in 2. The Sims 4's pets just seem very clunky and wooden to me. And they sound very unnatural (you can tell it's a human doing the pet voices). I can't remember whether the Sims 2 pets were real animal voices or not, they certainly sound more like real animals.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    RnM92 wrote: »
    Then you should play TS2 Pets for awhile and you will see the differences. I didn't have to buy TS4 C&D to know it is a watered down version and lot of animations and interactions left out. Let alone dog houses, pet beds, pet treats and toys, spontainous interactions, stats/motives, hiring a trainer, jobs, special collars (earned/unlockable) mating, traits/like brave, praisng not just scolding, controllabe cheat menu, etc.. etc.

It reminds me of mobile game ad ons, cute doesn't cut it. It's been years since I gave my Sims in TS2 a pet, but even I know TS4 is watered down pet EP. They kept saying stuff like but cats can jump on things...they do in TS2, too, so....? And TS2 pets show their emotions, maybe better than TS4 cats and dogs do. TS2 pets have thought bubbles, which added to the story and sometimes helpful, sometimes funny. Special animations like when you had to give up a litter, the police came to take them away and the Sim runs to the car to watch them go and is crying.

I don't think TS4 gets Sim players at all. I think what they understand is 'going through the motions' (just like a mobile game) and nothing more.

Don't worry, I certainly didn't buy it! I knew enough from seeing the trailers/gameplay vids/info on the forums to know it would be disappointing. It's just frustrating that pets are the latest casualty in the Sims 4 hash job of old content. It just disappoints me so much that this is how it is, in the fourth game. Anyone who didn't know would would think the Sims 4 is the sequel to the Sims 1. It just upsets me because I always loved pets in the Sims. And you're totally right about the pets themselves, they were definitely more expressive and realistic in 2. The Sims 4's pets just seem very clunky and wooden to me. And they sound very unnatural (you can tell it's a human doing the pet voices). I can't remember whether the Sims 2 pets were real animal voices or not, they certainly sound more like real animals.

It depends on what sound effects files they decided to use. In TS2 my real life dogs would always bark and look for the dog barking in background at my Sim's house, and they looked all over for that squeaky toy. I would have to keep telling them it was on my game, lol, on 'TV' and not real because they would get up and start searching for it. They also respond to real sound effects of dogs barking on TV etc. but totally ignore manufactured dog sound effects barking. I don't know which type of sound effects TS4 decided to use. Real or manufactured (like with scraping something over something to create a sound effect or actually recording a real dog bark. Dogs in real life know the difference when they hear them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    RnM92 wrote: »

It depends on what sound effects files they decided to use. In TS2 my real life dogs would always bark and look for the dog barking in background at my Sim's house, and they looked all over for that squeaky toy. I would have to keep telling them it was on my game, lol, on 'TV' and not real because they would get up and start searching for it. They also respond to real sound effects of dogs barking on TV etc. but totally ignore manufactured dog sound effects barking. I don't know which type of sound effects TS4 decided to use. Real or manufactured (like with scraping something over something to create a sound effect or actually recording a real dog bark. Dogs in real life know the difference when they hear them.

I agree with this. My dogs look for the sound when they hear the sims 2 dogs. One a,so responds to my sims 3 cat and goes over to my real life cat. Both completely ignore the sims 4.
  • zoeh7zoeh7 Posts: 133 Member
    TS2 Pets were better, I didn't play A LOT of the older sims games, but I have played a bit of them. I mostly got in to sims just before TS3 came out, (I was 6 when it came out.) I actually was under aged to play it- I guess my parents didn't care. The graphics haven't changed in 2 games, but I'm not surprised, TS2 came out in 2004 and the TS4 came out in 2014, but I guess the expansion pack game out in 2017, in 13 years I don't think a lot has changed...
    Origin ID: Th3SimsFactory
    Please add me on Origin!
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

Aww, I feel so sorry for you guys, those that do not have Sims 4 Cats & Dogs. And you're trying to make yourself feel its all ok, I have to give EA a Standing ovation. upon making such a wonderful addition to Sims 4. It's so nice to have the pets, they are so natural to the Game. You love them as much as you do the toddlers.
    Saying Sims 2 Pets are better is just being so unreasonably unfair to EA for creating something so wonderful. These Pets touch your heart whether you meet them in your family, on the street, or as a Vet when they come into your hospital sick, you want to help them and make them better.
    They do so many things they get spoiled, Its just so much that We can not tell you.

EA do not have to make anything else, just leave Sims 4 as is and I am happy,
    Mostly when we get something new People start begging right off. But where are all those Threads,? Nowhere because we are happy the Sims 4 is now what it should have been, it's now fun and interesting The Vet career is the best Business that has ever been in a Sims game I just love it.
    I do hope all of you get to have cats and dogs, it's the best. I paid 40$ and If I had to I would pay it again. I did not want to wait.

If I was sitting in my old car and my neighbors were riding around in their New beautiful car, Sure I can try to make my self-feel better and say I am happy with my 10-year-old car, Buts what the truth ?.

I do have experience in playing Sims 2 dogs, it belonged to a friend, when I went to play it, It was borning, and No I did not want it. I could have got that game pack but I did not want it. All I had to do was say I wanted it.

I feel if you have to be happy with Sims 2 dogs, then, by all means, be happy.
    When Christmas comes I just hope its lots of Sims 4 Cats & dogs under the trees and a computer as well if needed. You all deserved to have the best EP that EA has ever made for the Sims 4.
    (most of the time pets will ignore whats not there, they are smart that way.) Sims 4 Cats & Dogs was made for people to enjoy, not sounds for animals to relate to. If you're a simmer as I am sure most here are, enjoy your game. even if you do not have it just have fun in something you do. :)
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    Aww, I feel so sorry for you guys, those that do not have Sims 4 Cats & Dogs. And you're trying to make yourself feel its all ok, I have to give EA a Standing ovation. upon making such a wonderful addition to Sims 4. It's so nice to have the pets, they are so natural to the Game. You love them as much as you do the toddlers.
    Saying Sims 2 Pets are better is just being so unreasonably unfair to EA for creating something so wonderful. These Pets touch your heart whether you meet them in your family, on the street, or as a Vet when they come into your hospital sick, you want to help them and make them better.
    They do so many things they get spoiled, Its just so much that We can not tell you.

Mostly when we get something new People start begging right off. But where are all those Threads,? Nowhere because we are happy the Sims 4 is now what it should have been, it's now fun and interesting The Vet career is the best Business that has ever been in a Sims game I just love it.
    I do hope all of you get to have cats and dogs, it's the best. I paid 40$ and If I had to I would pay it again. I did not want to wait.

If I was sitting in my old car and my neighbors were riding around in their New beautiful car, Sure I can try to make my self-feel better and say I am happy with my 10-year-old car, Buts what the truth ?.

I do have experience in playing Sims 2 dogs, it belonged to a friend, when I went to play it, It was borning, and No I did not want it. I could have got that game pack but I did not want it. All I had to do was say I wanted it.

When Christmas comes I just hope its lots of Sims 4 Cats & dogs under the trees and a computer as well if needed. You all deserved to have the best EP that EA has ever made for the Sims 4.
    (most of the time pets will ignore whats not there, they are smart that way.) Sims 4 Cats & Dogs was made for people to enjoy, not sounds for animals to relate to. If you're a simmer as I am sure most here are, enjoy your game. even if you do not have it just have fun in something you do. :)

I am sorry but I am going to state a very strong opinion. Ea didn't do anything for Cats and dogs. I know that might shock some on this forum. The Sims team do deserve credit. But You act like this expansion pack is the best thing since slice bread. Yeah I have that expansion pack as well that don't make it the best expansion pack so far for Sims 4. I take Sim 2 pets any day over Sims 4 cats and dogs. Sims 2 had smaller pets as well. The value is still with Sims 2 pets. I believe we going to get two more expansion packs then the Sims 4 will be over. The sims 4 was criticized more than Sims 2 and Sims 3. I hope that when Sims 5 comes that they go back to the roots of the Sims and start a new timeline and make history in that worlds would be constant though out the new timeline. No alternate timeline ever again in this series. And that they try to be as bug free as possible.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member

:joy: LMAO!!!! Don't feel sorry for us, we are perfectly happy not owning a piece of trash. No I do not have to make myself feel like it is ok, because it is GREAT that I didn't invest a dime in this refurbished piece of 🐸🐸🐸🐸. I have never been more happy with a decision in my life! :D
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited November 2017
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    I didn't like pets in TS2 for how they would break the fears cycle, which ruled them out from my runs. However, going from "clickable" to "controllable" to downright "unclickable" makes TS4 pets worse in comparaison.

I could see how you would feel that way if you like those things
    but a lot of people didn't like "controllable pets I know there are a lot of people who want to see there needs however
    these pets were made to show you what they need or you can ask them so I don't feel the need for it myself

Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • danceswithchaosdanceswithchaos Posts: 95 Member
    I didn't like pets in TS2 for how they would break the fears cycle, which ruled them out from my runs. However, going from "clickable" to "controllable" to downright "unclickable" makes TS4 pets worse in comparaison.

I could see how you would feel that way if you like those thing
    but a lot of people didn't like "controllable pets I know there are a lot of people who want to see there need however
    these pets were made to show you what they need or you can ask them so I don't feel the need for it myself

Actually, the biggest complaint I see isn't that the pet are uncontrollable in C&D, it's that there is ZERO information panel whatsoever. Most simmers don't seem to mind having to read the pets' clues on what they need. However, most don't understand why you can't view (at the very least) a pet's family tree (for pet legacies) or where they are in aging. In real life, most owners know (or have a general idea) how old a pet is and if they've had several generations of offspring, they'd know that too. Not giving us a way to see is the complaint, not that you can't control the dog (though there are some people who do miss that).

I believe TS2 had a cheat where you could control the pets themselves. Those who tell stories/make movies like that ability. And we always had an information panel with aging, skills, and family trees.

I could see how you would feel that way if you like those thing
    but a lot of people didn't like "controllable pets I know there are a lot of people who want to see there need however

Actually, the biggest complaint I see isn't that the pet are uncontrollable in C&D, it's that there is ZERO information panel whatsoever. Most simmers don't seem to mind having to read the pets' clues on what they need. However, most don't understand why you can't view (at the very least) a pet's family tree (for pet legacies) or where they are in aging. In real life, most owners know (or have a general idea) how old a pet is and if they've had several generations of offspring, they'd know that too. Not giving us a way to see is the complaint, not that you can't control the dog (though there are some people who do miss that).

I believe TS2 had a cheat where you could control the pets themselves. Those who tell stories/make movies like that ability. And we always had an information panel with aging, skills, and family trees.

thats what I meant by see there needs at @danceswithchaos
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2017
    JULES1111 wrote: »

:joy: LMAO!!!! Don't feel sorry for us, we are perfectly happy not owning a piece of trash. No I do not have to make myself feel like it is ok, because it is GREAT that I didn't invest a dime in this refurbished piece of plum. I have never been more happy with a decision in my life! :D

My thoughts exactly ahahahaha
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I could see how you might feel that way
    and I can't tell you that some people on this thread arn't trying to make themselves feel better
    but it's human nature to compare things be it for good or ill and its not always a bad thing
    also I think the reason people would be sad is not because sims 4 pets is better
    but because there favorite version will never have anything new again
    and they miss being excited about new stuff
    and sadly you can't buy sims 2 anymore I really wanted it to
    I really am enjoying sims 4 pets though :)@Stormsview
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member

I could see how you might feel that way
    and I can't tell you that some people on this thread arn't trying to make themselves feel better
    but it's human nature to compare things be it for good or ill and its not always a bad thing
    also I think the reason people would be sad is not because sims 4 pets is better
    but because there favorite version will never have anything new again
    and they miss being excited about new stuff
    and sadly you can't buy sims 2 anymore I really wanted it to
    I really am enjoying sims 4 pets though :)@Stormsview

But you can buy Sims 2. Well if your in USA and whatever other countries that Amazon has a market in. But you would have to have a old computer to play on. And a few mods to smooth out the game.

But I don't think it about feeling better about themselves. Each person has their unique opinion and criticism of Sims 4 Cat and dogs. I feel that it was rushed out to fast like Sims 4 was.
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member

ROFL back at the trolling game again, I see. 3/10 this time, way too obvious.