Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When does culling happen?

Is there a set time or day in sims times or real time?
Is it when you hit your cap as mine is way over according to the sims count as there is about 120 sims I can't see or who even exist in the game?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Every Sunday.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • hadklaxhadklax Posts: 467 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Every Sunday.

@Cinebar . Theanks for your swift reply. Is that Sims time or real time? And do you know the time it happens e.g. 1pm, 2pm?
    Sunday in the game. I'm not sure of time, it's in the big thread Luthenrising wrote months ago (somewhere in there among the many comments) about how culling works since the last time they patched it last (June?). But the new favorites settings in this new patch is causing more problems and I would wait to see threads about how that is affecting everything and culling. It seems the new patch is adding more Sims than the player set to have as their limit, so now, it's all up in the air. But that big thread I mentioned explains how culling works for the most part before this latest patch. And the relationship culling which is also now broken.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    @Cinebar Thank you. I had Sunday in my head too but didnt know why haha! The sims count is the reason I asked. Mine is over and I'm so annoyed as I can not add families, edit household, split household now. I'm current on Thursday in Sims Time so hopefully Sunday will cull a load of the extra sims I have but cant actually see listed anywhere!
    edited November 2017
    Don't delete anyone they just reported this will cause an error in game, error 102. And mess up everything. Just wait and see what happens I guess.
    @Cinebar I saw this. I haven't deleted any of My Households but think I deleted one from Other households (a random sim) to see if it affected the sims count. I'm actually shocked at how awfully designed this sims count is including the two major bugs (error 102 and the relationship issue).
    Yeah, me too. I thought about reinstalling for the new roof items but not if this stuff happens.
    edited November 2017
    @Cinebar Im UK and expecting to download Cats and Dogs in a few hours time but I'm close to asking for my money back for that, The Sims itself and all the additional packs. The inability to edit houses from the map screen is a HUGE block on my gameplay style. A teen in my legacy family is due to be a Young Adult but wont be able to move out because I can't split up the household.
    hadklax wrote: »
    @Cinebar Im UK and expecting to download Cats and Dogs in a few hours time but I'm close to asking for my money back for that, The Sims itself and all the additional packs. The inability to edit houses from the map screen is a HUGE block on my gameplay style. A teen in my legacy family is due to be a Young Adult but wont be able to move out because I can't split up the household.

I think they may have a fix for it soon for the build option causing relationship problems.
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    But aren't Sims in the sim count supposed to be protected Sims that won't get culled? I know that there are people experiencing an issue where the Sim count is way higher than it should be, and it's causing loads of issues. Did deleting a household in other households affect the sim count? Sorry but I'm just so puzzled by this new system hehe. :sweat_smile:
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    edited November 2017
    I have read several people can't actually find Sims to delete let alone count homeless townies. One person has over 600 (entire amount it says they have) Sims but can't find that many.
    @Cinebar I think it will fix the relationship issue but I dont think it will solve the problem of the sim count being over and thus stopping the ability to edit or change households from the map view.
    @lottevdbrug My problem is that the 'hidden sims' i.e. not listed in My Households nor in Other Households have pushed my sims limit waaaaaaaynover. This means I can't edit, move or change households from the map view e.g. a young adult would be stuck living with their parents and cant be moved into their own household.
    @Cinebar I think it will fix the relationship issue but I dont think it will solve the problem of the sim count being over and thus stopping the ability to edit or change households from the map view.
    @lottevdbrug My problem is that the 'hidden sims' i.e. not listed in My Households nor in Other Households have pushed my sims limit waaaaaaaynover. This means I can't edit, move or change households from the map view e.g. a young adult would be stuck living with their parents and cant be moved into their own household.

I'm going to tag @SimGuruNick because this is just bad if you can't move around your Sims from household to household.
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member

Oh Christ, that sounds absolutely awful. I have heard of this issue.. What happens when you change that one setting to unlimited count? Might be worth a try. Or are you sure your computer will not be able to handle that?
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I have read several people can't actually find Sims to delete let alone count homeless townies. One person has over 600 (entire amount it says they have) Sims but can't find that many.

That is my exactly my problem @Cinebar . If I count my sims in My Households I have about 125 and Other Households is about 20, still under the 150 limit I have, yet my sims count is 273. Where on earth are all these other sims!
    @lottevdbug definitely something I have considered. My laptop may have a meltdown though haha.
    @Cinebar the editing pencil and two arrows to move sims between households are faded out. I can edit sims by going into the household and clicking change sim on the mirror. But, in the map mode, I cant do anything to edit them, change them or split them.
  • SimGuruNickSimGuruNick Posts: 384 SimGuru (retired)
    Dead Sims in your older save games are put into their own household that is hidden. These hidden households are unfortunately counting towards the Sim Count. This is something we'll need to fix on our end, but that's why you're having this issue :)
    @SimGuruNick Thank you sooooooo much for replying and finally giving me a straightforward on answer this. Could you confirm what you mean by older save games e.g. does it mean a save in the load menu say from 2016 that I could delete and would help this? Or past save files for my current save?

A further question would be how long will it take to fix but I appreciate that is like asking how long is a piece of string?
    By older saves I had just meant saves that were created prior to the newest patch, but I'm not sure why I specified that to begin with, because for all I know the issue occurs for brand new saves as well.

You can potentially prevent the count from being wrong by adding the ghosts to your household? Then they wouldn't be part of that "hidden household" anymore.

I don't know how long it will take to fix unfortunately, thank you for your patience :)
    @SimGuruNick Ok so sounds like deleting options from my load game screen won't help. Ghosts are my problem. They aren't a part of my gameplay style, there no urns and gravestones that I can see in the game and I find the inability to control whether they count in my sims count a little frustrating.

I do apprecaite you taking the time to reply and letting me know it isnt meant to be like this and that something will be done about it :)
    edited November 2017
    Hm, if you can't find the ghosts in hidden households how are we supposed to move them into a household? And I appreaciate the answers but that still won't help the player move one Sim from one household to another. I hope you guys get this fixed as soon as possible since so many might think this is a pc problem. ETA: I mean people might think a pc problem (Low end) preventing them from moving one Sim to a different household etc. if the counting of Sims is intefering with this feature.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    Yes, my live sim total count is 184 for all the favorite households. I did delete about 5 live sims in these households to get the count down a bit, but didn't get an error code, possibly because I didn't really interact with these sims. The 184 count appeared at first, but then it rose to 221. I'm now sure this is due to ghost sims which I cannot delete, don't want to add and can't even if I did. I really want to delete most if not all of them. Hope there will soon be a way to do this. I will have to play over the limit now.
    Ghosts in households (including non-active and NPC households) that live in the worlds will generate tombstones upon their death, including when you are not on the lot and they die. Ghosts/Tombstones now have their own culling timer as well, that when going below a threshold the tombstone gets a new interaction called 'Strengthen Connection to the Physical World' which resets the culling timer for that Sim.

This way the user can control what dead Sims they want to keep around while letting others expire on their own. And when they expire they get sent to the netherworld and are culled.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Ghosts in households (including non-active and NPC households) that live in the worlds will generate tombstones upon their death, including when you are not on the lot and they die. Ghosts/Tombstones now have their own culling timer as well, that when going below a threshold the tombstone gets a new interaction called 'Strengthen Connection to the Physical World' which resets the culling timer for that Sim.

This way the user can control what dead Sims they want to keep around while letting others expire on their own. And when they expire they get sent to the netherworld and are culled.

Interesting to know. I read about why ghosts are causing the error 102 issue, but please tell me there will be a fix for the disappearing vampire powers bug soon?
    Gallery ID: babysquare