Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• RansomAceRansomAce Posts: 10 New Member
    I get that. But to see if my computer can run those two on their own is what I am suggesting. I plan on disabling fog right away when I can get my settings to stop resetting themselves
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    RansomAce wrote: »
    I get that. But to see if my computer can run those two on their own is what I am suggesting. I plan on disabling fog right away when I can get my settings to stop resetting themselves

How is it working out? Even if you try to play them separate they do need a good dedicated video card to render them. Are you getting any blacked out pets?
  • dhay773dhay773 Posts: 753 Member
    Hi, not new to the forums, but I haven't been on in a long time. I recently went back to Sims 3 and started having issues almost immediately. Was able to load up the game initially after updating mods and cc. I did get an unrecognized video card message and adjusted the settings, restarted the game and all was well. Played for about 2 hours and then the game crashed with a generic Sims 3 has stopped working. Noticed an exception "ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00000000
    address: 0x71cd72d7 "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS"
    Restarted the game with no issues and played for several more hours. The next day, the game would not load at all, the launcher launched but as soon as I pressed the play arrow it shut down with no error message. No more exceptions noted.

I took out the Sims 3 folder and let it build a new one, this didn't work. Made sure all drivers were updated, checked virtual memory, tried to bypass the launcher but couldn't. It would always load and same problem, tried running as administrator, tried different compatibility settings and nothing worked. I then tried to play one last time and it loaded. :o Readjusted video settings again and restarted game after loading my previous Sims 3 folder. It played just fine, saves were there, all downloaded cc, mods and store content and EPs and SPs. Played again for several hours saving often.

So, I was afraid to turn off the game and decided to leave it running overnight (bad me) and came back the next day and it was running fine. Played for awhile, it started to get laggy so I restarted and it didn't load. launcher would start, but game wouldn't load. repeated everything I did the day before, no go.

Then the fun began. I uninstalled Sims 3 using Revo Uninstaller and checking with cccleaner to be sure. Re-downloaded (took hours! I'm on wireless) reinstalled all games. Same deal. Uninstalled and reinstalled Origin, didn't work.

I can post dxdiag if needed.
    Please help!

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    @dhay773 - On the new folder tests, are you trying to start a fresh game with no added content or are you putting all of your mods and CC back in first? If the latter, that's not really a complete test if the problem is actually mod or CC related.

The memory location error message on crash is, I'm afraid, not meaningful. It just means that the game has crashed, which by then you would already have known.

But based on this on again and off again totally working then not working thing, the fact you have already tried a new TS3 folder and even reinstalled (that shouldn't have been necessary), I would say yes we should see a dxdiag here if we could together with telling us how many EPs and which ones are in play. You would have to paste the full report into several responses here as it will be far too long to fit into one or, even better, use pastebin.com and provide a link.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited October 2017
    Hi @igazor and thanks for the reply. I have all EPs and SPs except the movie one. I've tried running with all, some and none and always the same response. When removing the Sims 3 folder, I try starting up the game first before putting anything in. dxdiag url: https://pastebin.com/PFC7CFqh
    Also, sad I didn't need to reinstall. That was painful.
    @dhay773 - Your computer meets the requirements to run the entire game, so that's at least good news.

I see that it has dual graphics, that's unusual for a desktop but not unheard of. It is possible that the game is, on and off, reaching for the "wrong" graphics card upon startup -- it really needs to be running from the Nvidia card, not the integrated Intel chip. I also see that you have recently updated the drivers on the Nvidia. Did these updates come from the computer manufacturer or from a Windows Update? The latter can often "helpfully" provide less than suitable drivers that just won't work right.

Your card is powerful enough, when it's the one actually being used as it should, to need its frame rate capped. If you have done this in the past, it's possible that recent updates have made it become undone. Using the Nvidia Control Panel, you would want to select the high performance graphics wherever that choice is and set up or verify that vsync is in place to cap the fps rate of the card to the refresh rate of your monitor. That's 60 Hz, so 60 fps. Be sure that the settings are for the correct executable in the Control Panel, that's TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 but TS3w.exe (with the "w") for Patch 1.67. Here's a visual:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14991412#Comment_14991412

Checking on frame rates in-game is easy, once you can actually get a game running. Ctrl+Shift+C to bring up the cheats console, type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the displayed rate should never wander above 60. To make the rate display go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter).

Note that vsync as provided by the Nvidia Control Panel only works in full screen mode. If it doesn't lock things in or if you require windowed mode, then we move on to a different tool, Nvidia Inspector.

And finally, as you are on Win 10, we have to consider the potential effects of the recent Creators Update. Some older games like TS3 do not fare well with all of its updates in action.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15902876/#Comment_15902876
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Hi @igazor. It should be running from the Nvidia, but I disabled the integrated Intel chip to be safe. I update the drivers through GeForce Experience and am usually up to date. I turned on vsync, refresh rate is set at 60 fps and selected performance over quality. I can play the game in full screen mode when it plays.

I also went in and made the changes to Creators Update recommended. Game still won't play :(

I did turn on the Nvidia GPU activity monitor and it showed me all the programs running on the GPU except the launcher. The launcher seems fine, will let me log in, would let me buy simpoints if I wanted. Shows and lets me choose all EPs and SPs. Just won't let me play the game.

I also got a new message after changing all the settings. The launcher asked me if I wanted to load any of the EPs, but still didn't load the game. Hasn't asked that again.
    edited October 2017
    @dhay773 - You certainly have covered a lot of bases there. If it weren't for the crashing in-game, I would say that you are having a problem with the Origin handoff to the Launcher. But on Patch 1.69, the Origin tie-in is mandatory. Lacking anything else to try, you might look in Origin's menus at the top for an offer to try the beta version and see if that works out any better.

The other thing that comes to mind is that possibly your Nvidia card is beginning to fail mechanically, hence the on and off issues.

But let's get another opinion. @phoebebebe13 - do you see anything here that we are missing?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor I don't have windows 10 or do I play with origin attached to my game. Maybe someone else knows? My only suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall origin @dhay773
    edited October 2017
    @igazor I don't have windows 10 or do I play with origin attached to my game. Maybe someone else knows? My only suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall origin @dhay773
    I meant mostly on the dxdiag. Are we missing anything there that should be addressed maybe?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    I meant mostly on the dxdiag. Are we missing anything there that should be addressed maybe?

I can't see anything. @chesterbigbird is the build expert and may know more. She also has windows 10
    @igazor just wanted to thank you for being so helpful, I am just glad it wasn't an obvious user error and the changes you suggested should help with issues I've experienced with other games.

I have tried the beta version of Origin but it didn't make a difference.

I wouldn't be horrified if I needed a new card, not thrilled with this one. but the pc I have is small and it has to be a small profile card to fit. If you have any suggestions for that, I would love to hear them.

Thanks for looking @phoebebebe13 , hopefully @chesterbigbird will know an easy fix.
    edited October 2017
    @dhay773 - Sorry we didn't reach any definitive conclusions here yet, but you're welcome and you will be in good hands with chester. Your card is a GTX 750Ti, so although suitable at one time it can't now be very new. She could answer these kinds of questions with her eyes closed...which they probably are right now since in her timezone it must be 4am tomorrow (or is that yesterday? I never get this right). ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor Lol, I know what you mean by confusing time zones. I look forward to meeting chester, she sounds very knowledgeable. :)
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > RansomAce wrote: »
    >
    > I get that. But to see if my computer can run those two on their own is what I am suggesting. I plan on disabling fog right away when I can get my settings to stop resetting themselves
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How is it working out? Even if you try to play them separate they do need a good dedicated video card to render them. Are you getting any blacked out pets?

With just running Pets and Supernatural I am running pretty well. No blacked out pets.

I am going to install bootcamp to see what I can get accomplished there
    RansomAce wrote: »
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > RansomAce wrote: »
    >
    > I get that. But to see if my computer can run those two on their own is what I am suggesting. I plan on disabling fog right away when I can get my settings to stop resetting themselves
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How is it working out? Even if you try to play them separate they do need a good dedicated video card to render them. Are you getting any blacked out pets?

With just running Pets and Supernatural I am running pretty well. No blacked out pets.

I am going to install bootcamp to see what I can get accomplished there
    As long as you realize that a standalone retail copy of Windows is required here.

I wouldn't expect TS3 for Windows to perform very well though. There were different Early 2015 MacBook Air configurations so we don't know exactly which one you have, the 2 GB RAM limit would be lifted, but you would still be playing on that Intel graphics chip and Pets is not going to like that. Neither would Seasons. But it would be interesting to hear how this works out if your pursue it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I really hope this works. I will keep you guys updated on it
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    Hi

Was wondering if it is better to install sims 3 onto windows 10 through origin or discs?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)
  • AprilApril Posts: 59 Member
    V-Sync is not working for me. I have it set to on in Nvidia Control Panel but I am still getting 150-200 fps with my video card which is a 940mx. Does anyone have any idea why it's not working?
    edited October 2017
    April wrote: »
    V-Sync is not working for me. I have it set to on in Nvidia Control Panel but I am still getting 150-200 fps with my video card which is a 940mx. Does anyone have any idea why it's not working?
    Just a few things to check there.
    -- Have you tried Adaptive vs. On (either one) if both are available for the vsync option?
    -- Note that the correct executable must be profiled for this to work. That would be TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 but TS3w.exe (with the "w") for 1.67 or below.
    -- Vsync only works this way in full-screen mode, not windowed.
    -- If you happen to have dual graphics, as some laptops do, you would need to select "high performance card" or something like that or else the game might be trying to run from an Intel integrated chip rather then the Nvidia card.

If the Control Panel method is not going to lock things in, or if you require windowed mode, then typically we move on to a different tool, Nividia Inspector.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15940743/#Comment_15940743
    (second spoiler for visuals, note there is one piece missing there -- the value for "Frame Rate Limiter" would need to be changed from Off to 60.)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited October 2017
    Bessieboo wrote: »
    Hi

Was wondering if it is better to install sims 3 onto windows 10 through origin or discs?

Depends on what you mean by "better."

If you have an all disc collection to install, and no digital downloads for the base game or EP/SPs at all, and if your base game disc was manufactured before Sept. 2012 (the age of the EP/SP discs doesn't matter), then you have the opportunity to deny the game from being managed by the EA Download Manager (EADM) or Origin and be on Patch 1.67 with no Origin involvement whatsoever.

If your base game disc is newer than that, or if any one of your EP/SPs require downloading and installing through Origin, then you are going to land on Patch 1.69 no matter what you do, and the game will require Origin to startup every time. In that case, there really isn't any point in using the discs to install, that's probably just going to take longer with the subsequent patching, and Origin can get confused when trying to manage a mixed disc/digital game (even though it shouldn't).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Bessieboo wrote: »
    Hi

Depends on what you mean by "better."

If you have an all disc collection to install, and no digital downloads for the base game or EP/SPs at all, and if your base game disc was manufactured before Sept. 2012 (the age of the EP/SP discs doesn't matter), then you have the opportunity to deny the game from being managed by the EA Download Manager (EADM) or Origin and be on Patch 1.67 with no Origin involvement whatsoever.

If your base game disc is newer than that, or if any one of your EP/SPs require downloading and installing through Origin, then you are going to land on Patch 1.69 no matter what you do, and the game will require Origin to startup every time. In that case, there really isn't any point in using the discs to install, that's probably just going to take longer with the subsequent patching, and Origin can get confused when trying to manage a mixed disc/digital game (even though it shouldn't).

Thank you. :)

Will go with the discs then, sounds like the better option for me.
  • AprilApril Posts: 59 Member
    > @igazor said:
    > April wrote: »
    >
    > V-Sync is not working for me. I have it set to on in Nvidia Control Panel but I am still getting 150-200 fps with my video card which is a 940mx. Does anyone have any idea why it's not working?
    >
    >
    >
    > Just a few things to check there.
    > -- Have you tried Adaptive vs. On (either one) if both are available for the vsync option?
    > -- Note that the correct executable must be profiled for this to work. That would be TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 but TS3w.exe (with the "w") for 1.67 or below.
    > -- Vsync only works this way in full-screen mode, not windowed.
    > -- If you happen to have dual graphics, as some laptops do, you would need to select "high performance card" or something like that or else the game might be trying to run from an Intel integrated chip rather then the Nvidia card.
    >
    > If the Control Panel method is not going to lock things in, or if you require windowed mode, then typically we move on to a different tool, Nividia Inspector.
    > h**p:// forums.thesims.com /en_US /discussion /comment /15940743 /#Comment_15940743
    > (second spoiler for visuals, note there is one piece missing there -- the value for "Frame Rate Limiter" would need to be changed from Off to 60.)

Thanks igazor. I quadruple checked to make sure that the game (TS3w.exe in my case) is using my Nvidia card. I'm playing in fullscreen, I have tried both Adaptive and On settings in Nvidia Control Panel so I tried Nvidia Inspector. It's already set to force on and I changed Frame Rate Limiter to 60. I'm still getting anywhere from 50 to 160 fps. I'm officially stumped, lol. Thanks for your help though!
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Everything @igazor said, MacBook Airs are great for what they are designed for but gaming absolutely isn't one of them.
    Mac Air is not designed to run this game and you do have integrated graphics which may have trouble running this game regardless of having the video card recognized by the game. My card is newer than the game. It is not in the sgr files bit still runs the game and meets requirements. I play on PC. @igazor plays on Mac and is better suited to answer you.

That right there highlights the issue with unsupported Intel cards with certain CPUs stopping the game from loading at all on a Mac. Where Windows users will get the video card not recognised error but the game will still load, Mac users don't get anything and the game will not load. The earliest affected Macs are listed on my website. Never suppose the Mac version of the game performs at all like the Windows version, they're as different as chalk as cheese. That's why the lines must be added to the .sgr files.

Windows version=natively written, Mac version=horrible Cider wrapper.
    apple-signature.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top