Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited October 2017
    Kharky wrote: »
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > @igazor that i3 maybe too weak for the 770 card @Kharky you could be bottlenecking. @chesterbigbird is the build expert so you need to ask her. The sims 4 is also processor heavy and yes you need a better processor for that game. I don't know if the 2000 series intel i5 processor would be too old for TS4 if you were to switch out your i3 processor . Most people using i5 or better on the sims 4 are using 4000-7000 intel series
    >
    > also are you capping your fps with the sims 3? The sims 3 has no fps limiter. You need to cap your fps to your monitor refresh rate with vsync

He has got the 2500k with a 980ti on his pc and runs all except the very newest games at max settings. and boosts to 3.9GHz. Surley a game like sims shouldn't be THAT hungry for CPU?

The i5 will not be a massive boost over the i3 you have now. you will be going from dual core to quad core.. the sims 3 will not utilize all cores properly anyway.
    If you are getting the i5 2500K then i suggest get a arftermarket cpu cooler and overclock the cpu.. this will improve the performance. However if you only have stock cooler and a small case and not much airflow then i suggest not overclocking as it will raise the temperatures of the cpu and inside the case.
    As it stands now you will have some bottleneck with your i3 and the GTX 770.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > @igazor that i3 maybe too weak for the 770 card @Kharky you could be bottlenecking. @chesterbigbird is the build expert so you need to ask her. The sims 4 is also processor heavy and yes you need a better processor for that game. I don't know if the 2000 series intel i5 processor would be too old for TS4 if you were to switch out your i3 processor . Most people using i5 or better on the sims 4 are using 4000-7000 intel series
    >
    > also are you capping your fps with the sims 3? The sims 3 has no fps limiter. You need to cap your fps to your monitor refresh rate with vsync

He has got the 2500k with a 980ti on his pc and runs all except the very newest games at max settings. and boosts to 3.9GHz. Surley a game like sims shouldn't be THAT hungry for CPU?

The i5 will not be a massive boost over the i3 you have now. you will be going from dual core to quad core.. the sims 3 will not utilize all cores properly anyway.
    If you are getting the i5 2500K then i suggest get a arftermarket cpu cooler and overclock the cpu.. this will improve the performance. However if you only have stock cooler and a small case and not much airflow then i suggest not overclocking as it will raise the temperatures of the cpu and inside the case.

They are playing TS4 too which does require a quad core.

I thought so on the bottleneck issue . That card is too powerful for the i3
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >

The sims 4 would likely benefit from faster clock speeds over more cores.. i really do not think the game can utilize all 4 cores properly.
    Having a modern dual core and highly overclocking it would be better then having a older quad core.
    But going from their older i3 to older i5 will not be a massive improvement in either of the games.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited October 2017
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >

The sims 4 would likely benefit from faster clock speeds over more cores.. i really do not think the game can utilize all 4 cores properly.
    Having a modern dual core and highly overclocking it would be better then having a older quad core.
    But going from their older i3 to older i5 will not be a massive improvement in either of the games.

I would be upgrading to a newer i5 if they can at least a 4000 series

The sims 4 is buggy . It really should not be cpu heavy but for some unk reason it is . I wish they would check into that issue
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >

Would need a new motherboard then. the 2nd and 3rd gen have the same socket.. 4th gen and above are all different sockets.
    I should test the sims 4 multi core performance but I'm too lazy LOL (couldn't be bothered with this game :D )
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

> @phoebebebe13 said:
    >

Would need a new motherboard then. the 2nd and 3rd gen have the same socket.. 4th gen and above are all different sockets.
    I should test the sims 4 multi core performance but I'm too lazy LOL (couldn't be bothered with this game :D )

Thats the problem with having older hardware and upgrading. Hardware is moving too quickly

Last time you tested it for Guru Nick it was eating up your cpu and you have a newer i7.
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >

Thats the problem with having older hardware and upgrading. Hardware is moving too quickly

Last time you tested it for Guru Nick it was eating up your cpu and you have a newer i7.
    Yes but i never checked how much the game used each core. Something else in my pc could of been using the other cores. I will need to check again properly.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

> @phoebebebe13 said:
    >

Yes but i never checked how much the game used each core. Something else in my pc could of been using the other cores. I will need to check again properly.

Didn't you have some cores that were higher than others. Than again you also have other things running in the back round like windows :p
  • RansomAceRansomAce Posts: 10 New Member
    I have a Mac that is running 10.12.5 Sierra and I just got Late-Night, Generations, and Seasons (Which I think is the root of my problems as it's warning message to uninstall was different) for my game which is just Base, Supernatural, and Pets. Well, I cannot get past the startup screen. It stays up for 10 seconds or so and then crashes with the message of "Unable to start game" and "Service initialization failed (0x0175dcbb)". does anyone know of a way around this because I cannot find anything with my google-fu
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    RansomAce wrote: »
    I have a Mac that is running 10.12.5 Sierra and I just got Late-Night, Generations, and Seasons (Which I think is the root of my problems as it's warning message to uninstall was different) for my game which is just Base, Supernatural, and Pets. Well, I cannot get past the startup screen. It stays up for 10 seconds or so and then crashes with the message of "Unable to start game" and "Service initialization failed (0x0175dcbb)". does anyone know of a way around this because I cannot find anything with my google-fu
    Hi there. You're almost in the right place, the TS3 Mac Discussions board is practically next door.

I believe this is equivalent to the Unknown Error that El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra users are getting and the renegade EP in this case is LateNite. The fix is here.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Unknown-Error-issue-in-Sims-3-in-El-Capitan-Sierra/m-p/5725514#U5725514

And here.
    https://bluebellflora.com/2017/01/02/sims-3-unknown-error-fix-el-capitan-sierra-late-night-ambitions-related

@BluebellFlora should probably confirm for us that this is the same issue as the Service Initialization one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Hi there. You're almost in the right place, the TS3 Mac Discussions board is practically next door.

I believe this is equivalent to the Unknown Error that El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra users are getting and the renegade EP in this case is LateNite. The fix is here.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Unknown-Error-issue-in-Sims-3-in-El-Capitan-Sierra/m-p/5725514#U5725514

And here.
    https://bluebellflora.com/2017/01/02/sims-3-unknown-error-fix-el-capitan-sierra-late-night-ambitions-related

@BluebellFlora should probably confirm for us that this is the same issue as the Service Initialization one.

It's not exactly the same issue but the Unknown Error fix can sometimes resolve it. Manually applying the 1.67 patch sometimes fixes it too. You're absolutely right though, Late Night is the demon in the mix here so the fix will need to be applied regardless.

You will also need to apply the fix to get Late Night to show up in your Applications > The Sims 3 folder and in the Seasons pack folder (because Seasons is the most recently released pack you have installed).
    apple-signature.png
  • IceeyIceey Posts: 148 Member
    Hello there! I have two questions, one in-game related and one specs related. So the first one: Can I somehow make my sims go to work while pregnant (maybe with mc??), and the second one could I also post my specs here so u could tell me if my pc can handle a lil few more of ts3 expansions (university and seasons)? thank u :smile:

P.S Thank u all for the help so far. I've gotten to the point where i can fix most of the game problems myself cuz of all the help from u people here.
    edited October 2017
    Hello there! I have two questions, one in-game related and one specs related. So the first one: Can I somehow make my sims go to work while pregnant (maybe with mc??), and the second one could I also post my specs here so u could tell me if my pc can handle a lil few more of ts3 expansions (university and seasons)? thank u :smile:
    1 - It depends on why the sim isn't working. MC can be used to get rid of unwanted parental leave, if that's the issue.

NRaas > MC > Sim > Status > Career to see how many paid days off they currently have.
    NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Intermediate > Career > Days Off to add or subtract from the current total (use negative numbers to subtract).
    (MC Cheats add-module required)

How many paid days off sims are granted for parental leave is a function of story progression.

If the issue is that a sim is being blocked from participating in certain careers or activity strictly because they are pregnant, not just because they have been granted some time off, it would take a different kind of mod to sort that out.

2 - On the specs question, yes of course.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    So I got the game running finally (Although haven't touched the Late Night Expansion yet. Getting Seasons and Generations working was frustrating enough) but I have a new problem in game. When I go to the overhead view of my towns, the whole map turns gray. There are the occasional spots of black but it is mostly gray. Now when I zoom in, the house I am in comes into focus, but zooming out to the large view has the gray come in. I have done some research saying that it is fog and I have tried to disable fog but it doesn't work because my settings keep resetting. Any idea on a fix for this as I desperately want to play but this is messing me up from playing with all of my new goodies as I can't see what I am doing anymore!
    I also am now having a problem where unpausing causes the game to freeze.
    edited October 2017
    We don't yet know anything about the specs (from About This Mac off the Apple menu) of the computer you are playing on, all we know so far is the operating system. That might help us determine what kind of performance you should even expect from the game -- year, model, processor, RAM, graphics card would be helpful to know.

Regardless, are you purging RAM before launch and frequently during play?
    https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac

Honestly though, TS3 for Mac is a mess. It's the only iteration of the game for which EA did not do a proper port into OS X. Even if you have a model with a graphics card that the game takes to well, unlike the Windows version it can only utilize 2 GB of RAM before Bad Things happen. I lost patience with it myself years ago, bootcamped Windows onto my Mac, and play the Windows version on that partition instead. The performance difference is like night and day, even though I know not everyone can or is willing to arrange things that way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited October 2017
    So I got the game running finally (Although haven't touched the Late Night Expansion yet. Getting Seasons and Generations working was frustrating enough) but I have a new problem in game. When I go to the overhead view of my towns, the whole map turns gray. There are the occasional spots of black but it is mostly gray. Now when I zoom in, the house I am in comes into focus, but zooming out to the large view has the gray come in. I have done some research saying that it is fog and I have tried to disable fog but it doesn't work because my settings keep resetting. Any idea on a fix for this as I desperately want to play but this is messing me up from playing with all of my new goodies as I can't see what I am doing anymore!

This sounds like your computer is having issues rendering the game and may not meet requirements to run the game. @igazor can give you instructions on how to post your computer specs. Im on tablet and can't post links

I see your on Mac so igazor needs to help you with that.
    @phoebebebe13 - Snuck in right there before you... :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor I now see you did. ;) . Gotta love it when we are typing at the same time :p
    > @igazor said:
    > RansomAce wrote: »
    >
    > I also am now having a problem where unpausing causes the game to freeze.
    >
    >
    >
    > We don't yet know anything about the specs (from About This Mac off the Apple menu) of the computer you are playing on, all we know so far is the operating system. That might help us determine what kind of performance you should even expect from the game -- year, model, RAM, graphics card would be helpful to know.
    >
    > Regardless, are you purging RAM before launch and frequently during play?

>
    > Honestly though, TS3 for Mac is a mess. It's the only iteration of the game for which EA did not do a proper port into OS X. Even if you have a model with a graphics card that the game takes to well, unlike the Windows version it can only utilize 2 GB of RAM before Bad Things happen. I lost patience with it myself years ago, bootcamped Windows onto my Mac, and play the Windows version on that partition instead. The performance difference is like night and day, even though I know not everyone can or is willing to arrange things that way.

> @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > So I got the game running finally (Although haven't touched the Late Night Expansion yet. Getting Seasons and Generations working was frustrating enough) but I have a new problem in game. When I go to the overhead view of my towns, the whole map turns gray. There are the occasional spots of black but it is mostly gray. Now when I zoom in, the house I am in comes into focus, but zooming out to the large view has the gray come in. I have done some research saying that it is fog and I have tried to disable fog but it doesn't work because my settings keep resetting. Any idea on a fix for this as I desperately want to play but this is messing me up from playing with all of my new goodies as I can't see what I am doing anymore!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This sounds like your computer is having issues rendering the game and may not meet requirements to run the game. @igazor can give you instructions on how to post your computer specs. Im on tablet and can't post links

Well I am on an Early 2015 Macbook Air (And I know that sims HATES running on a mac) that is on Sierra 10.12.5 so it should meet the requirements for running sims.
    I know that this model has a thing with Sims where it doesn't recognize the graphics card but I did the thing located in the Bluebellfora site (fix-for-incompatible-graphics-for-the-sims-3-on-mac/intel-hd-6000-macbook-air/) and it did something to get my new expansions working.
    I am regularly purging and following the directions. I keep activity monitor open behind Sims to make sure it is running smoothly. Which it was before I decided I wanted more stuff (Was just running Base, Pets, and Supernatural with some mods and CC before)
    > @igazor said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > We don't yet know anything about the specs (from About This Mac off the Apple menu) of the computer you are playing on, all we know so far is the operating system. That might help us determine what kind of performance you should even expect from the game -- year, model, RAM, graphics card would be helpful to know.
    >
    > Regardless, are you purging RAM before launch and frequently during play?

>
    > Honestly though, TS3 for Mac is a mess. It's the only iteration of the game for which EA did not do a proper port into OS X. Even if you have a model with a graphics card that the game takes to well, unlike the Windows version it can only utilize 2 GB of RAM before Bad Things happen. I lost patience with it myself years ago, bootcamped Windows onto my Mac, and play the Windows version on that partition instead. The performance difference is like night and day, even though I know not everyone can or is willing to arrange things that way.

> @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > So I got the game running finally (Although haven't touched the Late Night Expansion yet. Getting Seasons and Generations working was frustrating enough) but I have a new problem in game. When I go to the overhead view of my towns, the whole map turns gray. There are the occasional spots of black but it is mostly gray. Now when I zoom in, the house I am in comes into focus, but zooming out to the large view has the gray come in. I have done some research saying that it is fog and I have tried to disable fog but it doesn't work because my settings keep resetting. Any idea on a fix for this as I desperately want to play but this is messing me up from playing with all of my new goodies as I can't see what I am doing anymore!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This sounds like your computer is having issues rendering the game and may not meet requirements to run the game. @igazor can give you instructions on how to post your computer specs. Im on tablet and can't post links

Well I am on an Early 2015 Macbook Air (And I know that sims HATES running on a mac) that is on Sierra 10.12.5 so it should meet the requirements for running sims.
    I know that this model has a thing with Sims where it doesn't recognize the graphics card but I did the thing located in the Bluebellfora site (fix-for-incompatible-graphics-for-the-sims-3-on-mac/intel-hd-6000-macbook-air/) and it did something to get my new expansions working.
    I am regularly purging and following the directions. I keep activity monitor open behind Sims to make sure it is running smoothly. Which it was before I decided I wanted more stuff (Was just running Base, Pets, and Supernatural with some mods and CC before)

Mac Air is not designed to run this game and you do have integrated graphics which may have trouble running this game regardless of having the video card recognized by the game. My card is newer than the game. It is not in the sgr files bit still runs the game and meets requirements. I play on PC. @igazor plays on Mac and is better suited to answer you.
    Yeah. Fancy photoshop machine :). I wish I was playing on a PC most of the time. (I prefer the layout of Windows a lot more too)

Thank you phoebebebe13.
    edited October 2017
    Okay, this isn't necessarily a TS3 for Mac is a Mess issue alone although that cannot be helping.

MacBook Airs are not designed for graphics and processor intensive gaming at all. Their strong points are lightweight portability, ease of use, and of course OS X. The earlier years' models couldn't really run TS3, even the base game alone, at all.

What happened here was that eventually the specs of the MBA with successive model releases began to catch up to the minimum processor power/speed needed to run the game. I think you're in a kind of just barely making it work situation there and it's possible that Seasons and/or Pets, the two hardest hitting EPs, are throwing it over the edge. I withdraw the bootcamp recommendation as I doubt that the Windows version would perform well on that model. My Mac is older, but it's an iMac with a strong enough processor and a suitable graphics card so it wasn't really fair to do a comparison.

Your MBA does not meet the real world recommended requirements for running this game. There are plenty of PC laptop models that fall into this category as well, although most of them don't cost as much as MBAs do. Others cost more, the Asus Zenbook's lower end models are still very expensive and struggle like crazy with games like this, as they just aren't made for them, again they are made for super lightweight portability.

Perhaps @BluebellFlora will swing by again and give her expert opinion, but I would be afraid to push the game with those EPs on that MBA. Even if you could keep things running, you would be probably taking years off of its lifespan and risk overheating the thing thus damaging it to the point where it becomes useless.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Well crap.

I understand that. Sadly this laptop wasn't my choice, my father is a Mac fanatic. My brother and I made it work for what we needed though. He was able to run skyrim pretty well on his.

Yikes, just my luck. Pets ran well, maybe I should try just pets and seasons together to see if that is the case?

I don't plan on keeping this computer forever (maybe another 6 months as I dislike it so much) so shortening it's lifespan isn't a concern to me. It doesn't do what I want it to do.
    edited October 2017
    Well plum.

I understand that. Sadly this laptop wasn't my choice, my father is a Mac fanatic. My brother and I made it work for what we needed though. He was able to run skyrim pretty well on his.

Yikes, just my luck. Pets ran well, maybe I should try just pets and seasons together to see if that is the case?

I don't plan on keeping this computer forever (maybe another 6 months as I dislike it so much) so shortening it's lifespan isn't a concern to me. It doesn't do what I want it to do.

Pets is the most demanding EP in the game. Seasons is not far behind. Adding them together will make it worse. Some eps in this game are more demanding than others however the more you add to this game the more demanding the game becomes. Seasons when it heavy snows can freeze some of the best computers if you zoom in and out while it's snowing. I have experienced this. So has @igazor. My desktop meets and exceeds requirements to run the whole game with all EP,packs and store items installed.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top