Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's wrong with 'PlaceFriezes on' cheat?

Hello, I'm trying to make door steps using platform on the ground level. There was no problem to place platform on the ground, then I used 'constrainFloorElevation off', then 'PlaceFriezes on''. But I couldn't put one more platform on the other platform. So I canceled both cheats, removed the platform on the ground, then I tried to drag a new platform, then I got this alert,"Friezes must be built above ground level' and doesn't work at all. I exit the building on this lot, and tried to place platform on another lot, but I got the same alert and not able to place a platform. I had to go to buy mode and back into build mode to have the platform work again. I remember I was able to build up the platform on the ground before but can't do it any more. I appreciate all help. Thank you.

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I thought the placefriezes cheat was for the foundation tool. I've never thought to try it with the platform tool. I'll have to try that in my game and see what happens.

For the foundation tool at least, with the cheat active you cannot put friezes on the ground, they must be placed either on a wall, a foundation, or (I think) another frieze.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I thought the placefriezes cheat was for the foundation tool. I've never thought to try it with the platform tool. I'll have to try that in my game and see what happens.

For the foundation tool at least, with the cheat active you cannot put friezes on the ground, they must be placed either on a wall, a foundation, or (I think) another frieze.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I think you're right but will it be possible to build some platform in 3 levels of layers like low 3 steps without cheat? It didn't work on my lot.
  • GaiaWainwrongGaiaWainwrong Posts: 36 Member
    The Friezes are the foundation, just they are above a floor.
    Jeansoo wrote: »

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I think you're right but will it be possible to build some platform in 3 levels of layers like low 3 steps without cheat? It didn't work on my lot.

I was unable to place a platform on another platform, with or without the placefriezes cheat. I'm hardly a build expert though.

I recently came across a lot in a CC world where the builder had used a regular foundation but used the CFE cheat to make it the same height as a platform for some reason. My sims couldn't get into the building though, they were route blocked. I had to alter the lot to make the foundation high enough to place stairs before they could get inside.
    edited October 2017

I was unable to place a platform on another platform, with or without the placefriezes cheat. I'm hardly a build expert though.

I recently came across a lot in a CC world where the builder had used a regular foundation but used the CFE cheat to make it the same height as a platform for some reason. My sims couldn't get into the building though, they were route blocked. I had to alter the lot to make the foundation high enough to place stairs before they could get inside.

Oh yeah I know what it is. I used that building cheats to make the stairs lower than usual before and my sims were not able to get in either. It was only for house decoration for simmer's pleasure. LOL Oh..that's sad. Actually, I wanted to build the door steps like the one in this image.

maxresdefault.jpg

For something like that I'd use the regular foundation and try to put stairs all around it as best I could.
    For something like that I'd use the regular foundation and try to put stairs all around it as best I could.
    Thank you. The distance from the entrance to sitting room inside of the house will get much longer if I use 3 stories of full foundation height. That's why I wanted to use platform instead of foundations. :) Anyway I noticed it's unavailable to place a front door on the platform without move cheat. So actually I gave up building the stairs like that. :D

Thank you. The distance from the entrance to sitting room inside of the house will get much longer if I use 3 stories of full foundation height. That's why I wanted to use platform instead of foundations. :) Anyway I noticed it's unavailable to place a front door on the platform without move cheat. So actually I gave up building the stairs like that. :D

Oh, I meant just one level of foundation. From a foundation to the ground is 3 steps or so. If you put the stairs all around the foundation you'd get a pretty similar look.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    edited October 2017

Oh, I meant just one level of foundation. From a foundation to the ground is 3 steps or so. If you put the stairs all around the foundation you'd get a pretty similar look.

I've done it the way you suggested and put lot p!ants in the corners to disguise where the stairs don't meet.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    If you don't mind using CC, these will give you that look:

NBVwLuR.jpg

https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims3/id/1225751/

Oh I see. Yes that's a good idea if I can't build wider steps as I wish than the one of normal stairs. I will try this idea after finishing current building. :D Thank you.
    Karritz wrote: »

I've done it the way you suggested and put lot p!ants in the corners to disguise where the stairs don't meet.

Ohh I like your idea. :D

ZeeGee wrote: »
    If you don't mind using CC, these will give you that look:

NBVwLuR.jpg

https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims3/id/1225751/

Thank you for caring but I don't use CC for build and buy mod objects. :)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited October 2017
    I think you have to hold down the alt key to get stairs of less than 4. I like to do that a lot as I am an anti-stairs kind of simmer. (They take more time!)

Here's an example:
    screenshot-4.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

You can place one platform on another, but sims won't always use the platforms normally. So, adding stairs to them while holding alt, make them usable.
    edited October 2017
    ciane wrote: »
    I think you have to hold down the alt key to get stairs of less than 4. I like to do that a lot as I am an anti-stairs kind of simmer. (They take more time!)

I did not know that about using Alt with placing stairs. I'll have to remember that. I tried placing a platform on top of another platform, but it wouldn't place for me, the tool just went over the existing platform. I'm kind of an anti-platform simmer, lol. It takes too long for sims to step up onto the platform and they all tend try to step on and step off at the same tile no matter how large the platform is which invariably creates routing issues (they do that with stairs as well, sadly).

Here's an example:
    screenshot-4.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

You can place one platform on another, but sims won't always use the platforms normally. So, adding stairs to them while holding alt, make them usable.

wow!! it's new to me. I didn't know that at all. thanks very much! :D

I did not know that about using Alt with placing stairs. I'll have to remember that. I tried placing a platform on top of another platform, but it wouldn't place for me, the tool just went over the existing platform. I'm kind of an anti-platform simmer, lol. It takes too long for sims to step up onto the platform and they all tend try to step on and step off at the same tile no matter how large the platform is which invariably creates routing issues (they do that with stairs as well, sadly).

The placing of foundation on top of foundation or platform on top of platform is sometimes tricky. With testingcheatsenabled true, you sometimes can NOT get the foundation to build even after typing in placefriezes on. You just have to switch out of foundations to something else like floors and then switch back to active it. I have this happen a lot when I am building scaffolding for constrainfloorelevation false.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    edited October 2017
    That is a great tip @ciane! I never knew alt could give you two steps. Thanks :kiss:

ETA: I can't get the platform on top of platform either, but it's cool to have a step up to the platform. My sim used it.
    edited October 2017
    Alt is good to give you one, two, or three steps, depending on the height of the terrain. A platform will just get one step normally.

Oops, maybe you can't place platform on platform, but you can place both platform and foundation on top of foundation. Placing the platform on the foundation does NOT need the CFE or the friezes cheat, so that's a plus! :)

Post edited by ciane on