Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whilst I wonder weak and weary a Midnight Hallow not so dreary?

So I've recently purchased Midnight Hallow almost exclusively for the Savy Sellers set which is no longer available alone and hopped in to play the town a bit. I've grown quite fond of the town - the set up, the changes I've made in a few places, the people. The one thing I am having a really hard time with is the gloomy appearance of the whole town (yes I know, what did I expect? Well I'll tell you what, I didn't expect to like the people and set up so darned much! hehe) but I'm having a really hard time with the bleakness and dirt grey everything is. While I could tediously go through every lot and change the grass color, foliage, and brightness of the build objects, this will only address the actual lots. I'd imagine it would end up looking like a grey and green patchwork quilt. I was hoping someone might be able to point me towards perhaps a beautified Midnight Hallow that I could just transplant folks to?

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I believe there are lighting mods available that will change the appearance of Midnight Hollow.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I believe there are lighting mods available that will change the appearance of Midnight Hollow.

midnight hollow had trees,flowers,ect that are kinda dreary looking in the world and the lighting mod wouldn't really change that part
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    So I've recently purchased Midnight Hallow almost exclusively for the Savy Sellers set which is no longer available alone and hopped in to play the town a bit. I've grown quite fond of the town - the set up, the changes I've made in a few places, the people. The one thing I am having a really hard time with is the gloomy appearance of the whole town (yes I know, what did I expect? Well I'll tell you what, I didn't expect to like the people and set up so darned much! hehe) but I'm having a really hard time with the bleakness and dirt grey everything is. While I could tediously go through every lot and change the grass color, foliage, and brightness of the build objects, this will only address the actual lots. I'd imagine it would end up looking like a grey and green patchwork quilt. I was hoping someone might be able to point me towards perhaps a beautified Midnight Hallow that I could just transplant folks to?

I didn't like how dark the town is either, I finally ended up taking all the families I liked with their houses, which are kind of unique and transplanted them into Sunset Valley. I made the new town much brighter but tried to use rabbit holes and other commercial buildings that fit the theme that were from Moonlight Falls or Dragon Valley so the town wasn't so dark when it was finished.

• Options
    AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    Yeah that's exactly what I'm considering myself, Nickibitsward

MemoriiValentine, exactly
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    I think there are such things as default plant replacements. I'm on my phone so I can't look it up but hopefully you can find something. I've seen lots of people use lighting mods made for that world too.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,019 Member
    edited November 2016
    I use the Midnight Hollow Default Terrain Replacement Mod by Shimrod. It really brightens up the world, even without using a lighting mod. I also use the Default Overrides for Midnight Hollow Plants and Trees by Aminovas. It lightens up many of the world's default plants.

If you're interested, try Googling those mods. I believe they're both hosted on sites that require registration (free). :)
    Post edited by lanlyn on
  • Options
    Cadh20000Cadh20000 Posts: 730 Member
    lanlyn wrote: »
    I use the Midnight Hollow Default Terrain Replacement Mod by Shimrod. It really brightens up the world, even without using a lighting mod. I also use the Default Overrides for Midnight Hollow Plants and Trees by Aminovas. It lightens up many of the worlds default plants.

If you're interested, try Googling those mods. I believe they're both hosted on sites that require registration (free). :)

I may look into that, and the lighting one(ESPECIALLY the lighting one), myself. Midnight Hollow is a very hard place to build in because it is so dark even at midday that it is hard to see many of the pieces/details you are working with.
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

b736bb84-7241-48b2-94de-d977df09cdb3.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2016

midnight hollow had trees,flowers,ect that are kinda dreary looking in the world and the lighting mod wouldn't really change that part
    Yes, that's true. That is of course the character of the world. I thought however if it were less dark and grey (or green or red) all the time it might become more bearable, that gloomy atmosphere. I loved it, but only for short adventure purposes. Can't imagine I'd ever play entire generations there.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    When I redid that world I remember doing each lot and taking out the black trees replacing them with normal versions thinning out the areas of excess overdone areas and the dark versions of hydrangea etc replacing them with normal.Plus is quick to take the houses exterior paint and siding and replace them in like 2 seconds.Afterwards I just made multiple saves and it was a huge difference without having to touch world editing areas.I dont use mods for lighting etc and it looked really good.

Sure it takes a bit of time but afterwards you can play your fixed version forever.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I really tried to love MH, but the dark gloominess of it all was pretty depressing...yes, I knew that was to be expected but it was soooo dark! (and I don't do mods). I actually did have big plans of fixing up some of my favorite houses (more colorful interiors/exteriors and landscaping) but after one that came out really good but looked very out of place and the task looked hopeless. I swiped a few cute male townies and never played MH again. I don't consider it a waste of money because I love the stuff that came with the town. :)
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member

Yes, that's true. That is of course the character of the world. I thought however if it were less dark and grey (or green or red) all the time it might become more bearable, that gloomy atmosphere. I loved it, but only for short adventure purposes. Can't imagine I'd ever play entire generations there.

That is true . I suppose the right default replacement for the world might help. You could always take them out if you want it dark again
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    When I redid that world I remember doing each lot and taking out the black trees replacing them with normal versions thinning out the areas of excess overdone areas and the dark versions of hydrangea etc replacing them with normal.Plus is quick to take the houses exterior paint and siding and replace them in like 2 seconds.Afterwards I just made multiple saves and it was a huge difference without having to touch world editing areas.I dont use mods for lighting etc and it looked really good.

Sure it takes a bit of time but afterwards you can play your fixed version forever.

Changing the color of the grass and replacing the trees and plants really makes a difference.

• Options
    I really tried to love MH, but the dark gloominess of it all was pretty depressing...yes, I knew that was to be expected but it was soooo dark! (and I don't do mods). I actually did have big plans of fixing up some of my favorite houses (more colorful interiors/exteriors and landscaping) but after one that came out really good but looked very out of place and the task looked hopeless. I swiped a few cute male townies and never played MH again. I don't consider it a waste of money because I love the stuff that came with the town. :)

I don't mind spending (a lot of) time on redoing houses, I usually redo them anyway and it can seem pretty daunting but the results are amazing.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I also replaced the black charred-looking trees on all the lots with haunted versions of other trees/scrubs. I didn't pull up any trees out in the world though. But replacing the trees on lots helped. And as @CravenLestat said, I saved my fixed version of the world for when I ever want to start a new family in Midnight Hollow.

Daytime with the two mods I use and removing some of the black trees (no lighting mod)
    fy0uHTZw3NAECmt1BtCjntTq4pR_OHz4VqI6q6pIAJ0NNdLITRBxy2524Il1PW2L0MbjN-x6TY5o00eXumB94rrcR4mP8JFnNkFUi8FwqJYLppRDYa485Ra9WcowECvkJK9psD97YyGSnQFglcSRPaRxX5UnEH_KaLeTeUls5DXgot6QD1oKQVbZtgVXM__p18ZeeaP0mlhBCW_Ww85VTVKsb5GGwObU8MNBuUrgelt2eLMaYIk783CvwgQ3j7-8nQ8nEhqiUhy2rdASwLqKFf9DmA4Dd64mHPucwyHEhv8jPAKBfbTOwLf0LyFoA2FMt4JFvazThc_XSTJtdE5ScbVdYlKzjr7vvW6j99gbv8anIp1N2sG6UCCHFTWUCI6iOaVgOJeoM7X-gmTkxZ3X8BIXJH1ZzTcHkJvjWXDIj-LZhwgYvEhMdBEXQF_1ujG9cwzVrKfRckYt5g2h3OYvhCaW0TUVilRMY_SznAKNwgznAQNb9mYDBcLTnibdnsx7ar2fysFFSYk-WJwI81m78a7iVMcukASPTHnl1Tz0RYGLeLHppgvyOP4OVt6zWP0pEjUMZBqUu4lfksc0FxcDxdrpN0KsrC8=w1440-h896-no

Night
    HNAtUSBYGKHGnXPD3lVzFE4IEJCW0u6-b2A3CVMNDpGXCfMB4n9j2v9NGGp_-UB1JRjGoPrXHpXFr_FLjJ0uURu2VJ__NybRWW5rK37kbWfffNRnWdUFjBS9PEW2iFA_J8bT5aGl7EBCcvApD4XXKKMv1fMHY7QfTDCSz2WnH7tpon0MXUSRQIxRtNqx1vS8ZBt-N0P0ZRG9qNl4XBhg9fxA8CPJT_bO357oQ-FsP3TN29MfcsozhRngJEslCPL3LZ0Q-hNboL-6wijOL82O0DwN7UifovP4kZ9T8DlXH8F24tM4Nm-nZJLJ0V_m6GTy0eSiOcK4x-a754kMoGvneZSZSZTAGKNac_NJM8IP2wd_fyR9rcs5wZTg8r4crd8ujTKfrfzLTqzrvkVzJSv0C4g3VplRPb-kshzihKwJcwMXyPSXMnbQOJkwoBwMASmh-OCwQotoCEaEsKNb5LjCPemCWPhu-wwvBHA-IzmL0V0Mrakz2fQ8Kwih4aI8uIq1kig0S6VcjmF0Ybfrkrd9c-_tZbg8Nkfi6Sq-uVlUcRhx_2EXTBcUoI9Wu6tzw6Nk2BUAftf3Ta6ayRX4xzyKiAErNE5gZ2M=w1440-h896-no
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited November 2016
    Daytime with the two mods I use and removing some of the black trees (no lighting mod)
    fy0uHTZw3NAECmt1BtCjntTq4pR_OHz4VqI6q6pIAJ0NNdLITRBxy2524Il1PW2L0MbjN-x6TY5o00eXumB94rrcR4mP8JFnNkFUi8FwqJYLppRDYa485Ra9WcowECvkJK9psD97YyGSnQFglcSRPaRxX5UnEH_KaLeTeUls5DXgot6QD1oKQVbZtgVXM__p18ZeeaP0mlhBCW_Ww85VTVKsb5GGwObU8MNBuUrgelt2eLMaYIk783CvwgQ3j7-8nQ8nEhqiUhy2rdASwLqKFf9DmA4Dd64mHPucwyHEhv8jPAKBfbTOwLf0LyFoA2FMt4JFvazThc_XSTJtdE5ScbVdYlKzjr7vvW6j99gbv8anIp1N2sG6UCCHFTWUCI6iOaVgOJeoM7X-gmTkxZ3X8BIXJH1ZzTcHkJvjWXDIj-LZhwgYvEhMdBEXQF_1ujG9cwzVrKfRckYt5g2h3OYvhCaW0TUVilRMY_SznAKNwgznAQNb9mYDBcLTnibdnsx7ar2fysFFSYk-WJwI81m78a7iVMcukASPTHnl1Tz0RYGLeLHppgvyOP4OVt6zWP0pEjUMZBqUu4lfksc0FxcDxdrpN0KsrC8=w1440-h896-no

I had always played with the windows (Vista/8) fullscreen bug that makes the Sims game darker. I have always had to add buydebug lighting, and turn up my monitor's gamma just to see when building in normally bright EA worlds. Midnight Hollow has never been playable for me as I can't even see mid day, but looking at this picture (with no lighting mod) it appears to be less dark for some users. Are you on a Mac? The problem I had with the world was once I did lighten it up with a lighting mod, and tree replacements the terrain painting without the darkness looked very silly. I wish there was a way to only install a world's objects as a set. I had the same problem with Dragon Valley, it was simply too dark to see anything. At least it looked okay with a lighting mod. I guess I should give MH another look now that I'm on Windows 10.
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    @Jessabeans I'm on Windows 10 right now. Before, I was playing in Windows 7. I think that screenshot came from Win 10, but not sure. You might want to look at your graphic card settings--try to adjust the color and lighting for the Sims game? You can save a game "profile" that the GPU will use just for the game.
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited November 2016
    @Jessabeans I'm on Windows 10 right now. Before, I was playing in Windows 7. I think that screenshot came from Win 10, but not sure. You might want to look at your graphic card settings--try to adjust the color and lighting for the Sims game? You can save a game "profile" that the GPU will use just for the game.

I haven't had the dark screen bug since upgrading windows, but I thought I would mention it in case others who dismissed the world might want to give it another look. I don't have a good example screenshot of it but I found this one via google. Thanks, it's great that it's that bright on Windows 10, I will definitely have to give it another look soon. That is a great tip about the game profile, I usually let the NVIDIA manage my settings for me but I may set up a profile manually too.

parall11.jpg
  • Options
    SunsetSimsPrimeSunsetSimsPrime Posts: 77 Member
    I like the world dark & dreary (I'd actually like it even moodier( it is exactly how I want a town for a spooky story line or maybe I just want a town that is different. When I did try the mod to see what the town is like lighter, I just thought it looked weird & didn't suit the mood that EA was trying to create.
  • Options
    Like I said though, building is very hard there, it is almost impossible to see inside the houses when attempting to build/decorate. I certainly don't mind playing it the way it is designed, but not building/decorating there outside of my own much lighter colored house(Interior Decorator profession was a very bad choice in that town... DX).
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

• Options
    AuraKnightAuraKnight Posts: 115 Member
    Oh, I don't know. An Interior Decorator with an agenda to make Midnight Hollow over into one particular theme would be a nice challenge game :)
  • Options
    AuraKnight wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know. An Interior Decorator with an agenda to make Midnight Hollow over into one particular theme would be a nice challenge game :)

Lol, have fun with that!
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

• Options
    AuraKnightAuraKnight Posts: 115 Member
    Maybe a mad Scot that wants to turn the world Tartan...
  • Options
    AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member

Do you have much experience with the Savvy Seller collection? I was just coming here to post a question about it lol
  • Options
    GaiaWainwrongGaiaWainwrong Posts: 36 Member
    There is a lightning mod just for that.