Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Clearing Caches

I see everyone on here talking about "clearing caches" and I was wondering exactly how you do that and which ones. Are they all the files that have the word "cache" in their folder name? I would really like to know, thanx in advance! :)
Long live the new Doctor!

Comments

• yoashmoyoashmo Posts: 528 Member
    edited July 2011
    in documents/electronic arts/sims 3 folder delete:

* CASPartCache.package
    * compositorCache.package
    * scriptCache.package
    * simCompositorCache.package

in documents/electronic arts/sims 3/worldcaches folder delete:

-everything in folder, which is most likely:

* Riverview_objects.package
    * Riverview_sims.package
  • Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited July 2011
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the help. :)
  • cholia1234cholia1234 Posts: 913 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Like Yoashmo above said, also you should go into your Thumbnails folder which is located Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims3/ Thumbnails and delete EVERYTHING in there too also go into your DCCache folder which is located Documents/Electronic Arts/ Sims3/ DCCache and delete the missingdeps.idx file. You should do this ever time before you start your game xD
    edited July 2011
    @cholia1234
    she only needs to delete those cache files if she is having thumbnail or store content issues in game. bc the game will take a while to regenerate those cache files. so i usually only delete those if your having specific problems having to do with what is stored in those cache files. imo its not worth the wait to do it everytime you start up your game, especially if you dont have any game issues having to do with thumbnails or store content.

edited July 2011
    Hmphh, Well for me I have to delete caches before I play my game orelse the game freezes,...So I thought maybe if she had the same problem it would be better to do so. But it's always good to be extra clean with your game :lol:
    edited July 2011
    im sorry i didnt mean to come across as rude. thats a sucky problem. do you use the launcher?
  • HeathhaHeathha Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2011
    What does clearing your cache do?
  • CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Heathha wrote:
    What does clearing your cache do?
    Cache files hold temporary information so your game loads faster when you zoom across the neighborhood. Over time they become really big files and deleting them can help speed up your game's loading speed. When you restart the game after deleting them, the game will create new ones. After you reload the game, it should be faster the second time you play (after deleting the caches). :)
    edited July 2011
    yoashmo wrote:
    im sorry i didnt mean to come across as rude. thats a sucky problem. do you use the launcher?

Naw, it's okay :P I do use the launcher yes..Wait do you mean like to start the game ? Sorry i'm a bit dumb :roll: lol
  • monjr8302monjr8302 Posts: 253 Member
    edited July 2011
    I installed the Sunset Valley second edition, if I delete the everything in the WorldCache file folder, what will it do? Does it delete that world?
  • Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited July 2011
    monjr8302 wrote:
    I installed the Sunset Valley second edition, if I delete the everything in the WorldCache file folder, what will it do? Does it delete that world?

I use this too and it did not clear it off my game at all. :)
  • avatar101Aavatar101A Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello. Clearing caches by yourself is quite easy. First you go to the "control panel", then to "Internet Options", then click "settings", then click "everytime I go to the website" - then click "view files" then push- cntrl A on your keyboard, then click "organize" ( top left) scroll down and click "delete". A box might pop up saying "are you sure you want to delete these caches?" Click yes.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Hello. Clearing caches by yourself is quite easy. First you go to the "control panel", then to "Internet Options", then click "settings", then click "everytime I go to the website" - then click "view files" then push- cntrl A on your keyboard, then click "organize" ( top left) scroll down and click "delete". A box might pop up saying "are you sure you want to delete these caches?" Click yes.
    None of which has anything to do with TS3 game folder caches. Was that really meant to be a serious response to a game file related question asked over six years ago? :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I think someone fell into this topic googling, not realizing where they were exactly :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • eric6a01eric6a01 Posts: 69 Member
    Clear the caches can help reduce lag, but still freeze sometimes.
  • CheyTheHumanCheyTheHuman Posts: 56 Member
    I simply just delete everything in DCBackup folder except for the ccmerged file and everything in the Featured Items folder. I don't wanna mess with the others because I'm scared of messing up my game!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I simply just delete everything in DCBackup folder except for the ccmerged file and everything in the Featured Items folder. I don't wanna mess with the others because I'm scared of messing up my game!
    It's actually a good idea to clear to five cache files on the top level of the TS3 user game folder on a somewhat regular basis. Some of us do so before we start up the game every time (or after quitting, which accomplishes the same thing). These caches must be cleared whenever the contents of Mods\Packages changes in any way, so that's additions, deletions, or updates, for those using mods and other package based content. You cannot harm your game by clearing these cache files, they are totally expendable in the same way that a browser cache would be, and they will regenerate and begin building again on the next launch of the game. Your game can malfunction if these are never cleared as they will tend to clog up with stale cached data.

CasPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package (this one is optional)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net