Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A sad goodbye for now

I've been trying to love Sims 4 like I've loved the three predecessors but I just can't make it happen. I'm truly glad and very excited for everyone who is getting everything they want out of this version of our beloved little pixel people.

I just feel like its been sanitized to the point of no fun anymore. No Halloween because it wasn't culturally inclusive of the places where its not celebrated, no Day of the Dead because its racially insensitive to include cultural references that aren't 100% accurate, no burglars because crime can not exist in our world of fake people, no challenge to keep sims alive anymore because it is not believed that we have the skill as players to play if its not super easy. (walked away with the game playing for 8 hours and came back to see...promotions, a students and everyone alive and well without me playing...)

The Diwali celebration sounds fun, so of course, it'll be nixed next year when its discovered that it lacks 100% factual account of the celebration too.

Anyway, this is more long winded than I intended so I'll just say, for now I think I'm done throwing my money at this game that gets more and more sanitized and just plain flavorless as time goes on. My sims, while emotional wrecks, have no personality this version of the game and they just make me too sad to play.

So for those of you having a grand time, I wish you luck, love and happiness and hope you continue to enjoy the game. I sincerely wish I still had that happy feeling to play it. For now, I'll stick with 2 and 3 I guess. They both have their issues in abundance, but they still feel like they have character and style to me.
Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.

Comments

• Katie123Katie123 Posts: 925 Member
    Hm, I know what you mean. What are you ganna do instead? How does one fill their time without sims? haha
    tumblr_n25chlaSo01rrajoto1_500.gif

Katie123
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Beautiful dissertation.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    If that is how you feel, it sounds like you need more challenging games to play. Personally, I like that I can play for 15 to 30 minutes at time and then go do household chores IRL while I leave it running with no worry. I am a stay at home parent and can get interrupted frequently.
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    Good luck and have fun! May the previous iterations treat you well o:)
    6riwm5.png
  • Eduardx123Eduardx123 Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited October 2017
    See you soon! You will come back! Door locks made me come back again ,guess im easy :p
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Sad to see another simmer go. I hope you find loads of fun in the previous iterations.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I understand your decision. I do like the game, but it's clearly inferior to previous titles. Hopefully, something will be introduced in the game that will make you come back.
  • AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    Hmm with Cats & Dogs just around the corner ?
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    It doesn't have to be sad! Life's too short to be sad over these things. It's good that you'll (presumably) move onto something which makes you happier. :)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    um we DID get the day of the dead stuff last year FREE.. oniiJgU.png
    the dress the caregiver is wearing? That day of the dead stuff. Oh and if you want Halloween stuff buy the "spooky pack"

6adMCGP.gif
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    AlanSims wrote: »
    Hmm with Cats & Dogs just around the corner ?

I'm not sure how much difference that's going to make overall, but in the meantime, I'm now thankful for the earbuds from the Fitness SP.

BH1rbUK.png

My sim can now cloudgaze in the middle of nowhere and I still get to hear my personal music Ive added to certain stations. At least I get to rule the radio stations. lol
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Wasn't Spooky Stuff one big Halloween pack?

But yeah, I get why you feel that way. I had given up Sims 4 for two years, and I only went back because of toddlers and my friends telling me it's improved a lot since (and to be fair, it has). But even today, it still feels like a lot of things are missing. There's just something different about it. As much as I'm excited about new content (I'm really stoked about C&D), I'm also looking forward to Sims 5 because I hope the next iteration will blow my mind in some way. Sims 4 is fun, and while multitasking and tactile CAS are great ideas, they're not as revolutionary as Sims 3's open world & CASt or Sims 2's genetics and generational play (which was a huge leap at the time).

/rant over

I hope you enjoy the previous games. I still go back to them from time to time, especially my Pleasantview rotation in Sims 2. :p
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    We have Halloween though, there's a whole SP for it and I don't think Halloween was called Halloween in ts3 either, wasn't it something along the lines of spooky day then too? Also, you are allowed to leave ts4 for whatever reason you like, but burglars being excluded because of people's real life experiences and such are people on the forums speculating. It's not fair to spread those reasons behind features not being in the game as an absolute reason.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    It depends on the way you want to play doesn't it?
    I keep saying that but still keep playing but I just like building houses, filling them, giving them all jobs and watch what happens. I don't play a storytype game at all. If there were more building tools I'd be happier though. When I get a PC that actually can cope with Sims 3 I'll play that occasionally too but have to concentrate on home improvements more at the moment.

Give it another try when all the prices go down next year and buy a bundle. <3
  • VromanceVromance Posts: 72 Member
    Hmm. I don't think you should've force yourself to play something that's obviously not living up to your expectations. Like someone else said, life is too short. If you feel stressed in any way trying to enjoy TS4, then stop for now and (maybe) come back in the future. In the meantime, play TS2-TS3. I used to be like you a couple months ago. I forced myself to play a game that I wasn't liking. It was like 50% enjoyment and 50% meh. I thought if I spent more and more $$ on the game, it'd get better.. but not much improved and because I spent so much on it I felt like I MUST play it cause I owed it to my wallet. :sweat_smile:

But...now that I've put that game behind me I'm feeling so much happier and I don't regret it one bit. It's better to have long-term happiness rather than short-term right? something consistent and not always up and down feelings like a bad relationship. You could be feeling sad for now but it's better for you in longrun. ^^ Don't think too much on it hon.~

have a virtual hug and nice day~ latest?cb=20130305042657
    tumblr_oalut1nqGt1vzdforo4_r1_500.gif
  • TartacusTartacus Posts: 73 Member
    I have to agree with the OP I am sad to say also that I have gone back to the sims 3, even with all its little quirks and problems I think it's a better game. I played over 1800 hours of sims 4 so I've had my use out of it but compared to the time I've spent in sims 3 it is but a drop in the ocean. I just hope and pray that there will be a sims 5, It will be an open world with better graphics and have more creativity like sims 3 has. I wholeheartedly agree that sims 4 runs better and smoother but compared to sims 3 I feel it's only half of a game and far from the update to sims 3 that I imagined.
    Origin Name TART4CUS

MSjFMBP.gif

Wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a Sim packed new year. <3TART4CUS
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I agree and I am sad to see you go. The sims lack depth and that is something that has been preached over and over since launch along with there being no consequences for any actions at all in the game.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Maybe my memory is failing me, but certain holidays in The Sims never had the exact same names as they have irl. Halloween was spooky day in TS3. It doesn't matter that it's not named in game, what matters is that we got the tools that allow our sims to celebrate the holiday anyway. And TS4 had the day of the dead challenge, now it's diwali time, I don't see the issue here? If anything, the cultural inclusiveness is this game's strong point. In TS3, you had to buy items from your culture in the store, now we get them from base game which is absolutely amazing because the game is played all over the world.

I feel you though. I have a love hate relationship with this game and these days it's leaning more towards the "hate" side as I'm waiting for Cats&Dogs to finally give me something interesting to do. Once you get over the fact TS4 is just different it's a nice game, but it lacks content and options, yes, so it's great we still have previous iterations. It just makes me wish for so much stuff we'll probably never get, which is sad.