Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Info about Sims 4 on macOS High Sierra

This is just some information for those who may consider download the Golden Master release of macOS High Sierra.

The Sims 4 does start, but any camera movement causes instant lag, until the movement is over, then the game resumes normal operation, until the next camera movement. Then it lags again. And I mean badly.

At least that is my experience. I am playing on a 27" iMac 5k (late 2015)
Intel Core i5, quad core
16 GB ram
AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Ugh, how irritating. I'd be interested to see if anyone else is experiencing this. Have Apple updated the AMD driver in High Sierra?
    apple-signature.png
  • Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    I have no idea.
    But almost all my games failed to start, so Time Machine just finished its restore 15 minutes ago.
    No way to test further. Sorry.
    Lunder89 wrote: »
    I have no idea.
    But almost all my games failed to start, so Time Machine just finished its restore 15 minutes ago.
    No way to test further. Sorry.

That's a shame. You can find out by going into About This Mac > System Report > Extensions
    apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Is this the final release or will the official release drop in October?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    macOS High Sierra will be released 25th september. This release is the Golden Master Candidate, which means unless there is a massive bug, this is the release that will drop the 25th.
    Thanks for the heads up. Won't be updating until this is fixed.
  • JazzpuzJazzpuz Posts: 83 Member
    I just had a go on my low end 2017 Macbook Pro 15" with High Sierra (released version), and regular live mode worked without any issues as far as I could tell :blush: Have all EPs and GPs + 1 SP
    Anyone else updated so far? May do it this weekend.
  • Anabugg7Anabugg7 Posts: 1 New Member
    Im waiting to update, I tried the beta and the game stopped working. I wanted to know if if someone had the same issue with the released version.
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    I’m updating now. I tried a beta version, (not final version), but the game wouldn’t open.
    It's running great for me.

2017 15" MacBook Pro
    3.1 GHz i7
    AMD Radeon Pro 560 4Gb
    16Gb RAM

All EPs/GPs/SPs to date.
    apple-signature.png
    southaltan wrote: »
    I’m updating now. I tried a beta version, (not final version), but the game wouldn’t open.

Beta versions usually don't work well with certain programs in the beginning. Glad to know it's ok to update.

• JazzpuzJazzpuz Posts: 83 Member
    I experienced some abnormalities yesterdays, could just be coincidences, but I thought I would mention them here just in case anyone else experience it.

1. Dunno if it was High Sierra or just something with a game file, but last night I experienced lagging (nothing serious, actions was like 0,5-1 second behind, but it was constant and annoying!) so I saved and quit the game, thinking maybe a restart would help. When I got back to desktop I suddenly got a "The Sims 4 quit unexpectedly"-message (probably 2nd time ever this has happened with TS4 for me!). I tried repairing the game in Origin and started it up again, went to the same family (no progress was lost) and this time no lagging, I played for probably 30-40 minutes with no issues.

2. When I was quitting the game, I turned off the TV (which was on in the background) and I realised my Mac was strangely quiet. Usually the fan will kick in (on "medium" intensity I would say) after just a few minutes with TS4. Not that the computer was superhot, but if I had put on my thighs with nothing between it would be very uncomfortable. This could of course just be coincidence, might be I had been in built mode or CAS a bit just before I quit, which is less intensive, but I'm pretty sure I hadn't.

High Sierra
    MacBook Pro 15" (2017)
    16GB RAM, 2,8 GHz i7
    Radeon Pro 555 2GB

• jeanineadams2jeanineadams2 Posts: 9 New Member
    I would love to update to High Sierra but am waiting to hear from other players. I wish we could hear from EA themselves. How is it working out with everyone? Any luck?
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    It’s working fine, for me.
    southaltan wrote: »
    It’s working fine, for me.

What Mac are you playing on?
    This is my computer now. I currently play with no issues

iMac 21.5 late 2012
    Processor 2.9 intel core i5
    8GB
    Nividia Geforce GT 650M 512 MB

Mac Sierra 10.12.8
    edited October 2017
    Updated to High Sierra, haven't opened Origin and Sims 4 yet.

***edit: Sims 4 works fine
    Post edited by Tremayne4260 on
    I finally did it! Took the plunge! Happy to say it’s working great. I was nervous at first because when I first loaded, it was a little choppy and sound was a bit studery. But I lowed a few settings, which I can’t tell. It now works great and plays beautifully!!! So happy.

My specs are above if you want to know. Good luck!!
    One thing I have noticed is that once a new OS is installed, to make sure that you restart your computer. It seems to work much better after that.
  • jfoxy06jfoxy06 Posts: 31 Member
    I just tried running the game for the first time since updating and it's not working well. For some reason it now loads in a small window view and I can't enter full screen, even when selecting it. Not sure how to fix this. :(
  • jfoxy06jfoxy06 Posts: 31 Member
    > @jfoxy06 said:
    > I just tried running the game for the first time since updating and it's not working well. For some reason it now loads in a small window view and I can't enter full screen, even when selecting it. Not sure how to fix this. :(

And we're fixed! Looks like some weird settings got changed!
  • sdd1396sdd1396 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey I wanted to know if anybody has tried running the game on a MB Pro 2013 with High Sierra. I was not able to find any info on it at all and some part of me is craving to update just to see if it boosts the game's performance lol
    Decided to do another test with macOS High Sierra, now in its final form. And can report that it works perfectly on my iMac know. I don't really know why there is a change from the GM version to the final version, but for some reason there is.
  • brandytayl0rbrandytayl0r Posts: 1 New Member
    Just installed High Sierra on my early 2015 MacBook Pro and my sims won't even open. When I launch sims on origin it shows a blank window screen and then my computer times out. I've been playing the sims for years now and I'm so upset over this