Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Legacy Reading Circle

Comments

• Chaos_FairyChaos_Fairy Posts: 324 Member
    Ooh I was hopping a new reading circle would crop up. I would love to join!

My legacy story is here: The Blooms
    15aewar wrote: »
    What about Legacies of the Peoples?
    @elifdapeton

Have you done any legacy or other generational gameplay before? What generation is the longest you did.

Yes, but I tend to get to around generation 4 and get a bit bored, I'm hoping by actually writing a story and following my spares as well as the main family I keep motivated.

• kaylaholidaykaylaholiday Posts: 224 Member
    @MellowMaize isn't it funny how the game decides for us so much of the time?

As for me, I almost always intend to play legacies when I start a new save, unless I'm doing a different challenge (like 100 Baby). I think the furthest I've made it was to Gen 4 before I got bored/my game started getting wonky. I assume I'm going to have to a fresh save for the Woodwards after a few generations, too. I love family play, so legacies are my favorite way to play.
  • elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member
    Ooh I was hopping a new reading circle would crop up. I would love to join!

My legacy story is here: The Blooms
    15aewar wrote: »
    What about Legacies of the Peoples?
    @elifdapeton

Have you done any legacy or other generational gameplay before? What generation is the longest you did.

Yes, but I tend to get to around generation 4 and get a bit bored, I'm hoping by actually writing a story and following my spares as well as the main family I keep motivated.

@Chaos_Fairy I added you to the member list sorry for late reply.

peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
    @MellowMaize I actually just changed from the new member to member just in a couple of days. People here are amazing, just make sure that you comment on writer's lounge and the fringe. People here are very nice.
    Also if you want to get more post, I usually go to the off topic post, there's a lot of things there if you just want to earn a couple more post.

I have always wanted to finish a legacy, however, I always got bored in the 4th generation. I think writing it would make it a lot more fun, and so far it's definitely working. I think my generational gameplay in sims 2 got to 7th generation but then came the sims 3.
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    So to all member
    @elifdapeton @Dancer-freak @MellowMaize @15aewar @kaylaholiday @LegacySims2017 @Chaos_Fairy

I have an important question for the reading circles, should probably ask this before the other question:

How do you want the discussion of your story will be,
    For me, I'm okay with a weekly discussion, I'm also okay with just comment on other's updates.

How do you want others to respond to your writings? (criticism, support, encouragement, etc)
    Give me all the things, even harsh criticism about my writing and characters. Although, just pm me for grammatical error, mistakes happen when you literary post stuff and reviewing it after it's posted.

How many members would you prefer the reading circles!
    I know the more member means that more things to read, but sometimes I just can't read a lot of things. I definitely understand everyone has a very different degree of time that they can use for reading. So my initial number is nine, but I'm okay with a little bit more/less.

Do you have any disclaimer for your story? Are you okay reading something with adult themed, sensitive topics, etc?
    Mine had adult theme in it also will probably have some nudity as well but still in the term of service of the WordPress. I'll put a disclaimer if there will be something too revealing or sensitive if I didn't forget it.

SO, hopefully, we can start to read each other's story now. I know some of you have already been reading.

peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member

It doesn't matter to me, either. #BuildNewcrest Challenge: Simself Legacy Edition updates daily and I don't want to bog down this thread with posting an update each day. Just know there is a chapter a day unless stated otherwise.
    How do you want others to respond to your writings? (criticism, support, encouragement, etc)

#BuildNewcrest Challenge: Simself Legacy Edition is mostly gameplay. There is storyplay obviously, but it's meant to be pure entertainment as I take on the challenge. So whatever you feel you want to comment with is okay.
    As long as it's not going overboard. 9 was a good number, but it also kind of pushing it.
    Do you have any disclaimer for your story? Are you okay reading something with adult themed, sensitive topics, etc?
    #BuildNewcrest Challenge: Simself Legacy Edition shows some tooshies. But that's about it. Who doesn't want to see a sim selfie's tooshie tho? Right?
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Dancer-freakDancer-freak Posts: 223 Member
    edited October 2017

I am good with just weekly comments, I have also been in circles where every week we zeroed in on one person's story and were able to ask them questions and they got to ask their readers questions. It made it easier in regards to reading loads each week and having a better path for the conversation to follow. Also that way all stories and authors were featured and they had their "limelight" time.
    Give it to me! Although I do know that there are some spelling/grammar mistakes (I try my best, but I am a lit. major so I am almost always reading/writing and I don't have the energy to put in the effort I do for my papers DX) and also the plot is way out there. But hey, a little drama never hurt nobody. But yeah, if there is something that doesn't quite make sense to you, suggestions for the characters or maybe something you would like to see in the story or anything like that I would love to hear it!
    I like it how it is! I think we have a great size and everyone seems super nice :blush:
    Yeah. Lots. The Blakeley's deals with abuse, drugs, s*x and violence. There is some pretty graphic content, I don't really like to hold back, but there will always be a disclaimer at the beginning of a chapter so you know that there is some 🐸🐸🐸🐸 coming.

• 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    So to all member
    @elifdapeton @Dancer-freak @MellowMaize @15aewar @kaylaholiday @LegacySims2017 @Chaos_Fairy

How do you want the discussion of your story will be.
    I like @Dancer-freak 's idea of focusing on one person's story each week. Although, I would love it if I got feedback after every chapter, even if it is a "Yep. Read it. Seriously, you can stop advertising it now."
    I want it all! Every little thing, however small, if it makes you laugh or your skin crawl.

I'm kinda new to the whole reading circle thing, so I don't have any preferences yet.

When I finally get my Penvellyn Legacy started (which will hopefully be sometime this week,) I don't really plan on there being any adult topics. My writing tends to be pretty PG.

• MellowMaizeMellowMaize Posts: 13 New Member
    Thank you for the tips @elifdapeton ! I'm already halfway there without trying, so it should only be a few more days. :)

[b]How do you want the discussion of your story will be[/b]
    I like @Dancer-freak's suggestion of weekly spotlights (did I understand that correctly?). It ensures everyone gets a week where it's kinda just all about them. Aside from that, occasional comments and encouragement is always nice!

[b]How do you want others to respond to your writings? (criticism, support, encouragement, etc)[/b]
    I'm very much the type of person that prefers practical criticism. You know, like spelling errors being pointed out or a sentence being confusing, or if I get facts wrong. I often find personal-opinion based criticism kinda just ending in "guess the story is not for you then :(" though, but maybe that apply more to my art cirles than it will writing.
    "Yes Susan I draw big lips, this is not a mistake" xD

[b]How many members would you prefer the reading circle?[/b]
    My lucky number and usual sweetspot is eight, but nine is definitely fine too! I tend to read in bulk so I never feel too stressed about reading each update as they come and instead I just have a binge reading day. So I could probably cope with a lot more than that too!

[b]Do you have any disclaimer for your story? Are you okay reading something with adult themed, sensitive topics, etc?[/b]
    I'm perfectly fine reading adult themes and there will be a lot of it in my own story. The first generation of my Legacy will be pretty tame and "most bad things happen off screen" sorta to ease myself into it, but when it ends, things are going to get serious. This is mainly because I'm too busy trying to earn money to focus on the story as much as I want!

There'll be drugs, gambling, abusive relationships, murder, prostitution and s*x. Maybe more. There will be warnings at the top of chapters that contain these things.
    Hey guys! Just letting you know that there is a new Blakesley update :blush:

1.26: Give a Little, Get a Lot
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Is there still room for somebody to join? I've finished the first generation of my legacy, and then took a month hiatus (I was out of town/getting ready to go back to work) and the first chapter of generation 2 was just posted today. Would that make me too late to start being a part of this? The link is here: The Keen Legacy.

Totally understand if you've already got too many people.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
    I'm okay with however the group decides. This is my first reading circle, so I don't know which ways tend to work the best.

I'm good with constructive criticism. I don't foresee anyone in the circle being downright rude! I'd love to become a better writer, so I especially encourage comments that will help me do things like set the scene, develop my characters, and pace the story.

I think 8-9 members should make it manageable while still getting a variety of opinions.

My story definitely includes adult themes and sensitive topics. It's meant to be a dramatic story (especially going into season two) so expect some mature content. No downright nudity, but expect some saucy screenshots and situations.
    edited October 2017
    Hi @superkyle221 , I added you to the member,

I'm closing the submission for now until further notice.

I see that many people like the weekly discussion ideas. I also like that idea and I don't think anybody opposed to it, (if you do tell me :p). I'm thinking we could either randomize the order or go by submission order. I prefer going by random but I think we should discuss it first.
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
  • Chaos_FairyChaos_Fairy Posts: 324 Member

I'm happy with occasional comments. I like the idea of a weekly spotlight.
    Whatever you've got - bring it on. Spelling and grammar is not my forte & if I am repeating the same mistakes I'd rather have someone point it out to me :)

Mine is pretty tame tbqh. I'm Ok reading more adult themes

I don't mind random or sign up order for the weekly discussion :)

Thanks for letting me take part!

How do you want the discussion of your story will be?
    I don't really have a preference. Weekly discussion, commenting on their posts... it's all good. I do like the idea of us offering comments on the writing, and that might work better in the forums, but I really will do whatever.

I like criticism, so dish that out (I know there's a lot to give for the first stuff I wrote) - but also just writing tips/suggestions if I'm stuck. I'm still trying to figure out the best sorts of chapters to use, too, so any advice is also handy.
    Oh, and feel free to point out any mistakes I make in terms of characters, spelling, or whatever. And feel free to ask questions, I love answering questions (but I love asking questions more, to a point that can get somewhat annoying, or at least so I've been told).

I'm good with any number... provided it's not huge. What with work, I can't read and adequately comment on 50 stories (that number is a deliberate exaggeration because that's how I roll). 10 or less, if I had to put a number on it.

Disclaimer in terms of sex and violence and nudity? Sure, those all might show up. I haven't downloaded any mods yet so in an upcoming chapter, where one of the characters is nude almost the entire time, it's all still pixelated... can you tell I haven't been playing Sims 4 for long? I'll read whatever, I don't mind. I like fun stuff, but I can handle serious as well.

I sure have. Way back during the Sims 2 (I never played the Sims 3) I did a legacy challenge, only up through late night. Really what I remember is that one heir had a chicken on his head but never realized it (the chicken had a few subplots of her own though), one heiress was a witch who tried to destroy my computer, and one set fires so that she could later put them out and look like a hero. It's been a while, and seeing as how they were on the Sims 2 gallery, I think they're gone forever sniff sniff.
    Oh, and I'm fine going in random order.
    I am fine for whatever order! Random is good for me :blush:

Welcome @superkyle221 !!

Also, I am a bit busy with school right now, but I am going to make a point to get some reading done either before bed tonight or tomorrow night!! But if I don't seem as active that would be why.
    edited October 2017
    So, here's the random order for the weekly discussion.
    random.jpg?w=1496

Just to make sure this is the order
    1. @15aewar -
    2. @kaylaholiday - Woodward Legacy
    3. @LegacySims2017 - Build Newcrest Challenge: Simself Legacy Edition
    4. @Chaos_Fairy - The Blooms
    5. @Dancer-freak - The Blakesley Legacy: What Mystery Is This?
    6. @MellowMaize - The Lockwood Legacy
    7. @elifdapeton - Peoples Legacy
    8. @superkyle221 - The Keen Legacy
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    Looks good to me!

Why don't we start on a new week? So maybe Sunday?
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited October 2017
    Looks good to me!

Yeah - that sounds great to me!
    Hopefully, I'll have the first part up today.
    Looks good to me!

I like the idea of going Sunday-Sunday.
    So, since @15aewar doesn't have enough content for discussion yet, as discussed in the PM with @kaylaholiday, the first session will start on Sunday with @kaylaholiday's Woodward Legacy. Hopefully, there will be enough content for us to discuss with @15aewar's legacy in the following week.
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    While waiting for Sunday's discussion how about answering questions!

How do you write your legacy? Did you plan out stuff from the beginning? Do you let the game/challenge's rule decide what happened?
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    edited October 2017
    How do you write your legacy? Did you plan out stuff from the beginning? Do you let the game/challenge's rule decide what happened?

When I tell my friends about The Blakesley Legacy I describe it as a "soap opera like story illustrated by the sims 3". So it is very much thought out ahead of time and then I use the sims to bring the characters and the plot to life. I have known how the end of this generation is going to look from the very beginning and have planned almost every detail. Of course there are a few things that I had to work around.
    For example, Nathan was suppose to be a little girl. But I am glad it worked out this way, I love the direction Nathan takes the story.
    All in all it is very planned and I have already started thinking about how generations 2, 3 and 4 will look!

Also! There is a new Blakesley update :blush:1.27 The Wonderful Years

P.S I LOVE this reading circle. Everyone is so invested and interested and it is super awesome getting to read so many legacies. I am very glad you had this idea @elifdapeton