Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share WINNERS' CIRCLE: Find out results and discuss the entries here!

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @BuildnShare Oh my! Thank you so much! I definitely loved doing this one! (I didn't actually enter the optional part, though, so... um...)

@ElleDaes Your build was fantastic!
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    @creativemetaphor You didn't? The sims in your pics aren't Journye and Rosie?
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @creativemetaphor You didn't? The sims in your pics aren't Journye and Rosie?

Alas, nope! They're my testing sims. LOL They sure fit, don't they? But they were not made as Journey and Rosie and it wouldn't be right to get credit for them as such.
    edited July 2017
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR #190 MR. BODDY'S MANSION

@Kgaff

I love the throwback to the original board game and how you added your own little spin. The mansion itself looks charming and quietly regal, particularly with the tall trees you used as accent. I would have liked to see some balconies or something to add a little more architectural interest.

Inside you have a great usage of space. Your colors are quite nice and I like the different colored rooms representing each character. Your choice of décor for the most part was good. However I would recommend staying with one style when you're doing rooms though. For example, in the kitchen you have very different styles of cabinetry. Also, don't forget your CAS. Its easy to overlook things when you're doing a big build. Also choose your patterns very carefully. Too many can be overwhelming. For example in the entry way there are at least 5 different patterns. I suggest choosing 2, 3 at most.

@Creativemetaphor

First: Please try to organize your pictures when you have this many of them. They were all mixed up and it was difficult to follow which pictures went where.

This was a great build. Lovely architecture and nice details add to the interest of the outside. The pictures were awfully dark though. I'm not sure if that's entirely because of it being Midnight Hollow. Inside it was nicely lit. You did a great job with palettes, though I spotted some floor tiles that looked as if you had missed them in the process. And the white and turquoise room was just a little overpowering. Everything was beautifully chosen in terms of items and placement. I like the addition of the cowplant in the conservatory, just tucked away for a surprise attack.

I enjoyed seeing the characters you made and the shots of them puttering around the mansion.

And the winner is....

CreativeMetaphor!

Congratulations!
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @BuildnShare I am very sorry! It should have been sorted by file name, and even now when I click on the link it shows as sorted correctly to me. May dump photobucket if it can't even keep a little thing like 'sort order' straight!

But besides all that, thank you for your feedback!

(And did New Beginnings #188 get missed?)

@creativemetaphor - apologies, yes it would seem that it was, we will work on getting these up as soon as possible.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited July 2017
    Intermediate Results for #189 - New Beginnings

@creativemetaphor
    The Fifth Element is gorgeous, such a creative, imaginative build. The architecture, well, what can I say, you built an actual treehouse!  The landscaping around the base of the tree looks great, awesome use of terrain paint and the garden feels incredibly natural. Great use of the greenhouse parts to ensure lots of natural light, your use of clutter to help the place look really homely is wonderful. The objects you have used fit the build perfectly and your interior design palette works so well throughout the home, lots of natural finished which are perfect for the brief. I can see that Fern would be very happy to live here!

Suggestions: Suggestions?! I can't see anything I would change.

Optional Challenge: Great backstory into why the home was created as it was and Fern certainly seems to be enjoying her new space!

@ElleDaes
    Fern Villa is such a cute little bungalow style cottage, you have done a great job with the landscaping, the flower bushed really help cement the cottagey feel. The rooflines are complex and well executed. The layout works well, I can tell that you put a lot of thought into how the build would play in game.  Your interior palette is bright and breezy and there is lots of natural light for Fern which is great. I like your object choices, the natural fibres and surfaces are perfect for the brief.

Suggestions:
     I wonder if some contrasting wall treatments on the exterior would have helped add interest to the build, perhaps some rock, or stone on the outcrop that contains the bedroom area?  Your interiors feel incredibly sparse, it doesn’t feel like the build has a ‘soul’ to it, it looks and feels more like a showhome than a lived in space.

Optional Challenge:I do love your backstory! Fern the Fairy Secret Agent <3 Your commentary is great, you;d think Fern would have loved that custom mirror ;) She certainly looks like she is going to enjoy living in her new home.

The winner is...... @creativemetaphor

The winner of the optional challenge is @ElleDaes

GArBA5W.jpg
    Advanced Results for #189 - New Beginnings

@JasonAnthonySterling
    Sunrise Beach is a wonderful modern home. The exterior treatments are fabulous, they really help cement the style. Your layout is well thought out and your interior palette is lovely and airy.  You have made some really great object choices and your use of walls as partitions works really well, especially in the bathroom.  Your use of clutter is great, enough to help the place feel lived in without being overpowering.  And I do adore how you have created seated spaces with those fantastic views.

Suggestions:  The landscaping feels lacking throughout the build, especially at the front of the home, I understand you are going for the minimal look, but the place lacks curb appeal. Perhaps some ferns would have added interest.

@Mederouin
    Starter Yurt is stunning!  The concept is so well thought out and executed. The landscaping is wonderful, the terrain sculpting, painting even the plants you have chosen all help to really accentuate the style of the build.  The colourfulness of the exterior wall treatments is awesome, it adds so much character to the home. The interiors are perfectly proportioned, I totally get what you meant in your write up when you said that everything is shown for what it is. I can see that each piece was chosen with care and with great respect for the build.

Suggestions: My one and only suggestion would have been to add some sort of window to the outhouse, it feels incredibly dark and oppressive in what is an otherwise light and airy build.

The Winner is......

@mederouin

GArBA5W.jpg
    Congrats to @mederouin and @ElleDaes!
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    @mederouin Congratulations! @BuildnShare I had almost forgotten about this- LOL!
    @mederouin Congratulations! @BuildnShare I had almost forgotten about this- LOL!
    Umm... yeah.... so had we..... :wink:

GArBA5W.jpg
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR KOI HERRING #191

Cwaddell

You put together a very lovely modern build that avoids the trap of the blocky appearance. I thoroughly approve of the combination of wood siding and white brick texture. They compliment each other very nicely. The addition of a pond looks quite nice. I would suggest perhaps extending the pond, adding some additional trees or using the terrain tools to break up the flatness of the lot. I would also have liked to see a little bit more in the way of variations in the gardens around the house.

Inside is beautiful. The colors are soothing and cool, yet evoke the feeling of a log cabin. The layout is great and the way you utilized the space was very well done. Yet the whole build felt a little...empty. I would suggest next time utilizing some clutter to add a more lived in, personalized space. Things like pad and pen on the desk, paper towels in the kitchen, regular towels in the bathroom, and so on. These are typically not expensive additions but they add depth to your builds. Also, don't forget to make use of your cheats. MoveObjects On and DisablesnappingtoslotsonAlt will allow you to maneuver things a bit more, so you don't have the toilet paper over the bath tub.

Creativemetaphor

I think its time that you move to the advanced category. This build is another example of the skill and creativity you bring to your builds. The African theme was beautifully shown throughout, by both object and palette. The bridge over the ponds was a clever idea, but I feel that the entry way to the bridge seemed more Grecian than African. Perhaps it was the columns.

Inside I was blown away by your use of MOO and the way you manipulated the various objects to create something that was unique. The diver helmet as a planter was very clever. My only real criticism is to keep in mind how some patterns can seem overwhelming. The tile pattern in the bathroom on the walls with the stone flooring seemed a little busy. But over all, its a beautiful build.

Koi was a lovely teen and certainly seemed very comfortable in her new home.

And the winner is...

Creativemetaphor!!

The optional challenge winner is...

Creativemetaphor!!

Congrats!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    Congratulations Creativemetaphor!
    The diver helmet as a planter was very clever

Actually... that is a purely game-available item, no MOO was used! LOL

But thank you so much for your feedback, it is one of the reasons I love doing these challenges! I love the creativity you prompt :)

ADVANCED RESULTS FOR #192 BY THE WATERSIDE

@creativemetaphor
    Vitamin Sie La Vie is amazing!! The architecture is superb, it really and truly blends with it’s environment. Your use of the terrain sculpting tool is subtle, but well done. You have chosen some great plants to echo the style of the build. The layout works well and your palette is lovely, you have made some wonderful object choices and your placement is spot on. I adore that open plan kitchen to lounge area, it’s so peaceful and tranquil and the wall treatment in there looks just like waves on an ocean, perfect!  Your exterior spaces are well thought out as well, that little tiki bar on the beachfront is adorable!!

Suggestions
    I have very little to suggest, my only minor niggle is that children's octopus picture in the guest room, it feels a little out of place.

And the winner is.....

@creativemetaphor, a truly magnificent build!!

GArBA5W.jpg
    @BuildnShare Thank you!

Yeah, I waffled on the picture a bit - it felt too bare without it. I probably should have tried something else, but I figured a kids room is allowed to have a fun picture in it :mrgreen:
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR KOI HERRING #191

Cwaddell

You put together a very lovely modern build that avoids the trap of the blocky appearance. ...

Creativemetaphor

I think its time that you move to the advanced category. This build is another example of the skill and creativity you bring to your builds. ...

And the winner is...

Creativemetaphor!!
    Congrats!!

Thank you for your lovely comments and suggestions.

Congrats @creativemetaphor on a job well done.
    edited September 2017
    BEGINNERS RESULTS FOR #193 - SOLSTICE DESIGNER SHOWDOWN

@djsdragongirl
    Home Sweet Home is a lovely lot! The architecture is lovely, I like that exterior wall treatment, it really helps blend with the landscaping you chose. The landscaping is simple yet effective, it definitely has a tropical vibe to it. Your interior layout works well and the furnishings you have chosen fit with the design. Your palette works well overall and your object placement is well thought out.

Suggestions: As we rely on the media you provide, a few more pictures would have been nice, especially for the upstairs rooms.  Also, the deck area out front feels quite bare, I wonder if a nice seating area out here would have helped it feel more welcoming.

@djsdragongirl - Congrats on your win, please don't let the fact you were the only entrant detract from this, Home Sweet Home is a gorgeous creation!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR #193 - SOLSTICE DESIGNER SHOWDOWN

@cwaddell
    Beach House is gorgeous! The stilted architecture and exterior wall treatments mean that this beautiful build fits right in on the beach front lot.  Your landscaping blends perfectly it’s location, in fact you can hardly tell where the lot begins and ends which is an amazing achievement.  I love your little exterior living spaces, especially that lovely covered porch with the wicker furniture.  Your layout works incredibly well, the whole home has a lovely flow, palette and  furnishings included.

Suggestions: Maybe some bath mats in the bathrooms, those tiles look chilly! And the area with the bench, surfboard and outside shower looks a little bear, perhaps a pot plant might have given it some colour?

@cwaddell congrats on your win with an outstanding creation!!

GArBA5W.jpg
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited September 2017
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR #193 - SOLSTICE DESIGNER SHOWDOWN

@cwaddell
    Beach House is gorgeous! The stilted architecture and exterior wall treatments mean that this beautiful build fits right in on the beach front lot.  Your landscaping blends perfectly it’s location, in fact you can hardly tell where the lot begins and ends which is an amazing achievement.  I love your little exterior living spaces, especially that lovely covered porch with the wicker furniture.  Your layout works incredibly well, the whole home has a lovely flow, palette and  furnishings included.

Suggestions: Maybe some bath mats in the bathrooms, those tiles look chilly! And the area with the bench, surfboard and outside shower looks a little bear, perhaps a pot plant might have given it some colour?

@cwaddell congrats on your win with an outstanding creation!!

Thank you very much. I think having an actual beach house as an inspiration helped a lot.

I have placed this lot in a game in sunset valley adding rugs in the bedrooms will look to adding them in the bathroom too. And an excellent suggestion about adding a plant on the lower deck. Near the end of the build when I was decorating I was getting close to the max budget so didn't add as much as I wanted to. :)

ETA: Congratulations on your win also.
    Post edited by cwaddell on
    @djsdragongirl and @cwaddell Congrats to both of you! Both were beautiful homes, and we all run into the problem of not having quite enough budget at the end and leaving something more bare than we intended.
    edited November 2017
    Advanced Results for #193 Solstice Designer Showdown

Let me commend both of our builders on creating some absolutely beautiful builds and making my life exceptionally difficult in choosing either one of them. Results are late because you two made it almost impossible to decide between you. :) Without further ado...

Creativemetaphor

Could you have built a sweeter home? It is exactly what one would expect a country Grandma and Grandpa's home to look like. The warm tones you used perfectly call back the summer evenings spent chasing the fireflies and listening to the cicadas when they tucked you into bed. The layout and architecture are a perfect representation of a home that's been loved and well lived in for many years without the need to change or update it, without looking shabby. I loved the firepit in the back yard too.

There were only a few minor things that I could see that I would suggest keeping in mind for the next build. In the master bedroom the walls look a little bare, except right over the dresser, where the décor looks cluttered. I would expect a house like this to have more in the way of mementos and curios of a long life. Or at the very least, remember to spread out the décor a little more to keep it from looking clumped. And in the bathroom with the green tile counter, I would suggest perhaps not tiling the sink. A complimenting color, or even coloring it with one from the counter to tie in on a smooth surface would work a little better, both practically and aesthetically.

Aricari

If Creativemetaphor's is the traditional grandparents home, then yours is the home of the grandparents who watch a lot of HGTV and keep their home up to date to impress visitors or members of their clubs. The cool palettes are refreshing and at the same time welcoming. The colors are just strong enough to make a good personality but not so deep or bright as to be overwhelming. The style inside and out is a perfect representation of the Craftsman style. There are interesting knickknacks and art throughout, but not too many. This is a house designed for company of any age. The backyard carries that out beautifully. I LOVE the little jar lights in the back yard.

About the only critiques I could give are that the tv in the front room seems a little crammed in and there are almost no window treatments to provide privacy.

And the winner is....

Aricari! Congrats!!
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @aricarai great job and a gorgeous build! Congrats!

@BuildnShare as always thank you for the feedback. What's funny is I sas worried about the master bed walls looking too busy lol! Always welcome your eyes and aesthetic point of view :)
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Aww thank you @BuildnShare! I'm happy that you enjoyed it! Thank you for the critiques. I'm trying to get better with window treatments! <3 I'll keep it in mind for the next one that I participate in!

@creativemetaphor: Loved your home - it is beautiful! I'm glad we made it a difficult decision for them! :mrgreen:
    edited November 2017
    Advanced Results for #194 The Hawthorne Project

@creativemetaphor

Wowza, what a build! So totally unexpected and so incredibly well carried out! The exterior of Stone Troll Keep is a masterpiece in it’s own right, you have done such an amazing job on the landscaping and architecture, I do adore the balconies, such a great addition and what an fantastic job you did with CFE to get in that perfect courtyard garden. The layout inside is exactly what I would expect from such a building, smaller rooms off of the great room etc and the spiral staircases are a lovely touch. The double height great room is wonderful by the way, the pennants and stone work all lend themselves to the fantasy/olde world styling you have gone for.

Suggestions: I understand that you wanted to give the family room to grow, but a number of the rooms feel incredibly empty, especially the great room with that double height ceiling, you may want to put a little more thought into your room sizes, or think about dividing the spaces up with carpeting or rugs, to make the rooms feel a little more lived in.

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Randy, Jacqueline, Hamish and Piper really look to be enjoying their new castle, and I see what you mean about the whole portrait painting idea, perhaps Randy  should see if his talents lie elsewhere?

@noisybrain

The home you have created for the Davies’ is just beautiful, that gorgeous architecture and roof line make the lot feel incredibly welcoming. Your landscaping is great and I love how you got the swing and driveway in there. The hydrangea bushes work really well with the style of architecture you have chosen and your use of the terrain painting tool is brilliant.  Internally, your layout works really well, and your palette is nice and cohesive throughout the build. The bonus rooms upstairs are a fabulous way of ensuring you got everything you needed in the build.  

Suggestions: The veggie garden feels a little lost out in the corner of the lot, perhaps a small pathway leading to it might have helped it feel more part of the lot?!   I wonder if Randy would have liked somewhere away from all the hussle and bussle of the rest of the house to concentrate on his painting?.

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: The Davies look to have made themselves at home already, it’s lovely to see them looking so relaxed in their new environment.

And the winner is.....

A DRAW @noisybrain and @creativemetaphor

I simply couldn't choose one creation above the other, they are both so different and so well executed. Congrats to you both.

GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top