Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teens...

I can't tell teens from adults / young adults. Why do they look like that? In my opinion they should've made them a little smaller, like they always did. They were awesome in TS3 and TS2. I can't even fathom why they felt the need of making them a copy of young adults. Doesn't that bother anybody else? Is it too late to change the teens body shapes in TS4?

Comments

• Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited September 2017
    This has been a big topic since months before TS4 launched.

Over the years,there's many thoeries of why they might have did it:
    • They might have wanted the real teens who play this feel like adults.
    • They were pushed for resources and ended up copying the bodies (since technically Teen- Elder look almost equal minus the wrinkles).
    • They didn't want teens to feel restricted (even though in a way sounds kinda silly because no matter how you look at it their still kids :lol: ).
    • Some simmers like to believe that in general teens are tall...However where I come from that's faaaar from the case. So that theory can be a bit subjective :lol: .

Just as there's been theories some have tried to come up with solutions:
    • Preteens: a extra life stage with the original teen body. However it would make the current teen an 'older' teen, and not exactly change it.
    • Height slider/Height selections: this would be nice in general for all sims. And If they could do this it would be revolutionary for any sim game period.

What Maxis has done so far on this is:
    • Age Hover Sign: Even though it does let us know if the sim is a teen or not, I do agree it doesn't always help.
    • Parenthood: This pack pretty much made teens (at the very least) feel similar to teens, not fully for me, but it was a big step in the right direction. Although height wise it didn't do much. It did give acne and certain teen clothes.

to answer your question though...It's anyone's guess exactly what their going to do with teens and that's if they really wish to. Some of us are also hoping for a baby update too like freeplay. To be honest, I'd be happy/excited if they attempted any of those two theory solutions above for teens.

I've been hearing that TS4 might be around for a long time, so It would only be right to make a few changes? Well maybe that's just the dreamer in me talking :blush: .
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2017
    @Dreamie209 Kudos, you covered it all in one post! (in an admirable objective way too, which isn't easy with this subject ;))
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Dreamie209 Kudos, you covered it all in one post! (in an admirable objective way too, which isn't easy with this subject ;))

Thanks!! Since the topics been around for so long I think I've been/read almost all of them :lol: . Also I could imagine how a simmer new to the sims 4, the community or just having questions about the teens in general would be wondering. . So now I've come prepared with a full list of the 1000s of threads in one post :blush: .

It's one of those age old questions that I don't think will ever be answered...well unless teens finally get their "toddler" moment in some form :lol:
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I think its a huge issue that still should be worked on because players new and old see teens in ts4 too similar to YA's & Adults.
    It should be a priority to fix this EA.
    #Fixtheteens
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• giallorossigiallorossi Posts: 167 Member
    edited September 2017
    I agree with @JoAnne65 ! I couldn't have hoped for a better answer! Thank you. @Dreamie209

Your answer brought up this another thing that's been on my mind; height sliders... Teens also mostly aren't as tall as adults, where I live. So you're right. A height slider could very well be a solution to this. I've always wondered why The Sims never came with height sliders, since in TS2 & TS3 I noticed that animations still worked well (in most cases unless the Sim was extremely tall). The game, in my opinion could have been much more fun if every Sim had different heights...

@SarahsShady #Fixtheteens indeed! And maybe young adults too. Since there's almost no difference between teens, young adults and adults! It kind of ruins the game to be honest.

Speaking of... Has anybody seen a height slider mod for TS4? - That's working with the current update that is -
    edited September 2017
    @giallorossi : Np! :smiley: . The only height mod that I know of is this one. There's a few issues with it though i hear. Especially if the sim interacts with a toddler.

Ooh yeah that's yet another theory I forgot to add:
    • Some simmers believe that due to how animation heavy a new sim form or lifestage could be, the gurus might be afraid of breaking/clipping current animations.

Though that same theory was also said about toddlers and here we are :lol: . So in the end it simply comes down to what Maxis (well really EA) thinks is worth it.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I've never seen a height slider for the sims 4. I imagine they may exist?

I agree teens should be shorter. But then I still play the earlier sims where teens are shorter. I think even with the age identifier above their heads it can be very hit or miss.

In the mean time all we can do is use the more younger looking clothes and acne.
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    I'm really confused about this, I see so many people say they can't tell the different but I can. :s in my game teens have a smaller build, whenever I see townies I can tell if they are adults or teens most of the time.
    kittymeow wrote: »
    I'm really confused about this, I see so many people say they can't tell the different but I can. :s in my game teens have a smaller build, whenever I see townies I can tell if they are adults or teens most of the time.
    Their posture indeed is a bit more lean.

wBAa1O1.png

But that's really all. And real teens aren't even more lean than adults necessarily. The problem for people complaining about this, is that they just don't feel like teens to them. You can only tell a difference there when you place the same sim in both stages next to each other.

5JZ57S6.png
  • MikeWoolfMikeWoolf Posts: 39 Member
    in real life most teenagers are taller than their parents.
    What I hate about the Sims 4 is that babies are decorative, hopefully correct that, I want to get babies out of the crib. :s
    MikeWoolf wrote: »
    What I hate about the Sims 4 is that babies are decorative, hopefully correct that, I want to get babies out of the crib. :s
    In real life people have different heights anyway, but not in the game. This is not real life, this is The Sims. And I've never met a human being who was taller at 15 than at 25.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited September 2017
    MikeWoolf wrote: »

Sorta like what I said in my first post. That first sentence is pretty subjective (I respect your opinion though). My niece is 14 and she's not taller than any of us (and i'm 5'2 lol). Where I live, most teens are pretty short. So I wouldn't say in general their tall because in other places in the world it's different. Not to mention, every child/teen goes through their growth spurts differently.

However I do agree that I really do wish they update our little ones into some crawling, first word talking adventures <3. Freeplay did such a good job on the updated babies, that I really hope that EA considers doing this for TS4.
  • giallorossigiallorossi Posts: 167 Member
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    @giallorossi : Np! :smiley: . The only height mod that I know of is this one. There's a few issues with it though i hear. Especially if the sim interacts with a toddler.

Ooh yeah that's yet another theory I forgot to add:
    • Some simmers believe that due to how animation heavy a new sim form or lifestage could be, the gurus might be afraid of breaking/clipping current animations.

Though that same theory was also said about toddlers and here we are :lol: . So in the end it simply comes down to what Maxis (well really EA) thinks is worth it.

Thank you for the link! I downloaded & tested, it works! :)
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    > @MikeWoolf said:
    > in real life most teenagers are taller than their parents.
    > What I hate about the Sims 4 is that babies are decorative, hopefully correct that, I want to get babies out of the crib. :s

Not all teens end up taller than their parents. Half of the teens in this world are short while the other half is tall or average sized. Back in high school, I seen some really tall and short teens. Everyone is different and grow at their own pace. For an example, a fifteen-year-old boy is 5'6". The other fifteen-year-olds are like 4'11", 5'2", 5'4", 5'8", 5'11", 6'0", and 6'3".

We aren't all the same. Height is genetic or pubertal. A kid may be short because he hadn't hit his growth spurt. Another kid may be tall because he hit his growth spurt too fast or early. Makes sense?
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited September 2017
    The teens are harder to tell apart compared to past games. That is unfortunate. I am guessing time constraints factored into it. They were able to skip over teen animations and CAS items, going for the one size fits all if you are a teen to elder.

It would also be nice if they did consider taking the babies out of decor bondage. It would be nice if you could play with them on the floor with play gyms or mats, put them in walkers, etc.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited September 2017
    I think the reason why teens are the same height as adults is simply because of time and having to program new animations to go along with them being shorter. But ti would be awesome if they could provide us with a solution.

And yes, #freethebaby I hate that they are objects again. I want them part of the family once again.

Forgot to add this to my comment before. Here's a height adjuster for the game. Not sure if it's still working or not. I may plop it in my game to see if I like it. http://modthesims.info/t/571799
    Post edited by GoldenBuffy on
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited September 2017
    Instead of saying that it was about time I think it is much more precise to say that it was about money. EA only makes games to earn money and just didn't think that it was worth it to use more money making teens for a game which was targeted at new simmers who mainly were about 13 yrs old teen girls who often want to be as tall as adults anyway (and quite often are).

Could they change it now? Theoretically yes. But in reality clearly no because then all their previous work on interactions and clothes for the earlier taller teens would almost completely have been wasted and nobody would buy an EP anyway if it mainly just changed the height of teens.

Is a height slider possible? I would clearly say yes. But it would need everything to be designed in a different way and most likely increase both the development costs and the minimum requirements for the game. So maybe it will be done as one of the new things in a future Sims game even though EA until now hasn't thought that it would be worth it. But to make it for TS4? Definitely not something that EA ever would consider at this late stage of the game ;)