Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ship names between premade sims? Should they exist or am I the only one?

Comments

• bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I think the name blending is certain journalists laziness to write both parties names and considering the amount of gossip played out on tv, magazines and what used to be respectable newspapers, I guess that is why they started doing it. I have a hard enough time remembering most of my sims names without the addition of adding blending to them. Whoever came up with the term shipping....duh. Makes no sense in the context of what it is. I guess if someone wants to ship blend their sims names, more power to them, but, leave mine alone please. ::::walks off while shaking her cane in the air mumbling about the younger generation and what this world is becoming with all the shortcuts everyone takes:::: :lol:
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    Every time I hear the term "ship names" my mind always thinks this: 300px-USS_Nimitz_%2528CVN-68%2529.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Every time I hear the term "ship names" my mind always thinks this: 300px-USS_Nimitz_%2528CVN-68%2529.jpg
    Every time someone talks about ships my mind thinks of ship names.
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    Every time someone talks about ships my mind thinks of ship names.

Our sailboat was named Aeolus...*true story* :smiley:
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I think the name blending is certain journalists laziness to write both parties names and considering the amount of gossip played out on tv, magazines and what used to be respectable newspapers, I guess that is why they started doing it. I have a hard enough time remembering most of my sims names without the addition of adding blending to them. Whoever came up with the term shipping....duh. Makes no sense in the context of what it is. I guess if someone wants to ship blend their sims names, more power to them, but, leave mine alone please. ::::walks off while shaking her cane in the air mumbling about the younger generation and what this world is becoming with all the shortcuts everyone takes:::: :lol:

@bekkasan , Agreed 1000%!! <3

Me too... I don't really understand this whole name-blending...whatever... and I agree that this is probably the result of journalists being "lazy".
    Grumbles..."Kids nowadays!" jk.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I always thought that the blended names journalists use were meant to imply that the two sims...uhm, I mean people...were considered to be inseparable. As in, never seen out and about or known to have a private moment without both of them being in each other's very close proximity. Not so?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer If you had to have a ship name, I think Heatherrou or HarouHeath sounds better. After all, BrAngelina has a whole name in it. Who's to say you have to chop both names?

I also thought the mashed up names were to reflect a conjoined twin type relationship. Not all celebrity couples have silly labels like this. Only the ones that go everywhere together and stay in each other's pocket.

Frankly, I sometimes think my 85 yo mother in law is more hip than I am. :|
    igazor wrote: »
    I always thought that the blended names journalists use were meant to imply that the two sims...uhm, I mean people...were considered to be inseparable. As in, never seen out and about or known to have a private moment without both of them being in each other's very close proximity. Not so?

Yeah. Susan and Boyd are separable from each other. So are Cycl0n3 and Blair. Heck the reason why people keep Susan as Susan Wainwright instead of changing her surname to Bronte when they divorce\separate her from Boyd like it was also her maiden name, is'nt because they want to make her go back to Boyd and Blair, or because it's headcanoned that her maiden name was also Wainwright, but for the purely Doylistian reasons of 1: she starts out as Wainwright and not Bronte, 2: the name being recognizable.

As a Watsonian, she's Susan Amanda Bronte to me every time. I know that's a name from ingame files, but.

(although it's also possible any surname in any family came from both parents. See Doctor Who that has Barbara and Polly both with the surname Wright and Ben, Flip, and Maria all have the surname Jackson for example. Also there have been people naming their CAS family Wainwright so it is not like it is uncommon enough for there to be only one family with that name.)

And then there are the ship names from Pokémon: for example PokéShipping, ContestShipping, IkariShipping, AmourShipping, NegaiShipping, AdvanceShipping, PearlShipping, FerrisWheelShipping, PastaDanzaBobShipping...

You have a LOT of free time don't you.... :o
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited September 2017
    ... Whoever came up with the term shipping....duh. Makes no sense in the context of what it is....

Ship is short for relationship, a noun. Then on fan sites it became a verb, meaning to like the relationship (ie. I ship Buffy and Spike). A ship name is a blending of the names of partners in a relationship (ie. Spuffy). They only ever work in situations where everyone knows who it refers to and/or cares about the relationship such as on fan sites or between famous entertainers.

It seems excessive referring to Sims 3 townie relationships because most simmers don't really care enough about them. If they play EA townies it's mostly when they are involved with their own sims. And it's really extreme when last names are also blended. If you don't know who is meant by Beltimer or Bellimer or whatever blend you want to use then adding a blended last name is not going to be any more enlightening.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Ship is short for relationship, a noun.
    (groans a bit) Finally, an explanation that makes sense. Thanks!

If we had all known the origins of this term, we could have spared everyone the screens of coyote and road runner jokes about anvils "shipped" from the Acme Catalog, etc., back then on the thread long since removed. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited September 2017
    Well Conner Frio getting with Jamie Jolina would be Connerina but that sounds like an STD that will kill you :D

@CravenLestat Hehe! I'm back again and stumbled on this thread - Connerina indeed... :# Especially when you can relate to French "conne" which is the female version for a "bloody idiot" and a "connerie" is something extremely stupid!
    edit: plum is a person with very low IQ...
    NymlADp.jpg
    jillbg wrote: »
    Well Conner Frio getting with Jamie Jolina would be Connerina but that sounds like an STD that will kill you :D

@CravenLestat Hehe! I'm back again and stumbled on this thread - Connerina indeed... :# Especially when you can relate to French "conne" which is the female version for a "bloody plum" and a "connerie" is something extremely plum!
    edit: plum is a person with very low IQ...

@jillbg , Hi Sweetie, we miss you!! I take it from your post the name Connie is probably not very popular in France.. ;)
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @jillbg :o I thought you left us, figured all the island hopping and suntanning on tropical island beaches you finally bought one and forgot about us poor souls battling severe winters and shoveling snow.Actually it just now hit fall here but still.Now go post sim pics you have much catching up to do. <3
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif

If we had all known the origins of this term, we could have spared everyone the screens of coyote and road runner jokes about anvils "shipped" from the Acme Catalog, etc., back then on the thread long since removed. ;)

@igazor , But those posts were the best part of that thread!! :D
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    edited September 2017
    What the ---- is shipping?
    You mean like merging two names into one? If that is the question - no, I find no interest in that.
    You mean like matching up couples? Well yes, I do it all the time, that's part of the game.
    And why Mr. Serverus first name is censored? is this like a problematic word in English? The Sims is normally very PG-13, so I don't get it...
    *frustrated non English speaker*

c.id in backwars is di.c which can be considered a slur\slang-y spelling of di.ck as in plum. I think. Might be a foreign word or a technical thing from when the forum was built. If there was a sim named Kc.id Avatarit his name would be censored, too.

And his surname is Severus... I think. Haven't seen him around in much time. But Severus is a Latin\Italian surname. C.id as a first name comes from the Spanish historical figure with the title "el C.id" which meant lord. But even his official wiki page calls him Ci.d Serverus, so. Maybe I'll check?

Sims in Sims 3 tend to either have: very "American" English names (Bridgeport, Starlight Shores), pun names on English words (Twinbrook), more traditional English names (Moonlight Falls, Sunset Valley, Appaloosa Plains), or Hispanic-ish names mixed with some traditional and modern English ones (Isla Paradiso). Most of those towns also have some Asian and\or Middle Eastern\Arabic names mixed in, as IRL people of those races don't tend to have "westernized" names. That does'nt mean C.id Severus comes from Isla Paradiso, it just means he's suppose to be of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and\or Romanian descent.

Shipping basically means, well, if I liked the idea of Holly Alto dating Bebe Hart to the point to referring to it as BeHolly Halto, then I "ship" BeHolly Halto AKA I ship Bebe Hart with Holly Alto.
    ... Whoever came up with the term shipping....duh. Makes no sense in the context of what it is....

Ship is short for relationship, a noun. Then on fan sites it became a verb, meaning to like the relationship (ie. I ship Buffy and Spike). A ship name is a blending of the names of partners in a relationship (ie. Spuffy). They only ever work in situations where everyone knows who it refers to and/or cares about the relationship such as on fan sites or between famous entertainers.

It seems excessive referring to Sims 3 townie relationships because most simmers don't really care enough about them. If they play EA townies it's mostly when they are involved with their own sims. And it's really extreme when last names are also blended. If you don't know who is meant by Beltimer or Bellimer or whatever blend you want to use then adding a blended last name is not going to be any more enlightening.

Post edited by Avatarit on
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

Thank you for explaining it. I agree it makes no sense in Sims. I don't think it makes sense in RL either, but, that is just me. If no one knows who you are taking about when you blend names, it is not funny or cute or whatever. I feel so old some days.
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member

Ahoy :smile:
    edited September 2017
    @Charlottesmom I miss you all too! And you're soo right - I think I could put quite some money on that fact! B) No Connies in France!
    NymlADp.jpg
    Love you @CravenLestat ! How could I abandone this forum - even for Pina Coladas on sunny beaches... :D Will promptly do as I'm told - pics are coming...
    NymlADp.jpg
    edited September 2017

Chalk it up to growing old...but I STILL have NO idea what's going on.

WileEWut.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png