Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    my characters won't look like me til november. thats when i can add curly hair.
    oh i forgot after the gender patch came out i put a dress on noel. for 10 minutes he as a ugly women.
  • DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    Since we're talking about gender and writing...
    I am a female, but I've always been on the 'male' end of the spectrum. I usually play male characters. During my years of World of Warcraft, I played on roleplaying servers and was in-character most of the time. People assumed I was a guy, and I even encouraged them a bit. I felt safe in my male roles.
    It is easier for me to write male characters. My female characters usually end up like me and are not very female either.

Sometimes I would like to be a guy, because I think they have it easier a lot.
    And because I don't agree with most female roles society offers.
    I am a person first. Gender is not very important to me.
    Since we're talking about gender and writing...
    I am a female, but I've always been on the 'male' end of the spectrum. I usually play male characters. During my years of World of Warcraft, I played on roleplaying servers and was in-character most of the time. People assumed I was a guy, and I even encouraged them a bit. I felt safe in my male roles.
    It is easier for me to write male characters. My female characters usually end up like me and are not very female either.

Sometimes I would like to be a guy, because I think they have it easier a lot.
    And because I don't agree with most female roles society offers.
    I am a person first. Gender is not very important to me.

yeah if guys had babies their would be a lot less people.
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    oh and i did get the joke. just getting tired.

You know I'm all about Disney!

yXJTgrb.jpg
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited September 2017
    Karilan wrote: »

I'm curious, how many people here start legacies using the same gender they identify as (or as close to as possible), and why?

@Karilan interesting question. I wonder if it has anything to do with write what you know. You know your own gender best perhaps? I always worry slightly that my male characters sound inauthentic sometimes. I ask my spouse questions on occasion when I'm too stuck. For my main story, my protagonist is female, Kassiopeia.

I occasionally write from the male perspective (i.e. Brendon's chapters in KFLL, Billy's in I&S, Emit in La Vita Bella). I have chapters devoted to the perspective of Dennis, Sinbad, Shark, Max, Russ and Bill in CFT. And they're all different personalities. My only stories with a male protagonist is From Riverview With Love and My Life With Criminals. Actually MLWC was the first story I wrote and the main character was male. FRWL was a fun challenge for me to write about a townie (Gage Briody who also plays an integral role in Kass's stories) exploring family, friendship,
    and love.

I typically start stories with a female protagonist and maybe it's because it's what I know best, but I also like writing strong female characters mostly because I aspire to be a strong confident woman. I like writing about the challenges and dilemmas of being a woman but also celebrate womanhood (all aspects). However I won't shy away from writing other genders.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

I'm curious, how many people here start legacies using the same gender they identify as (or as close to as possible), and why?

@Karilan interesting question. I wonder if it has anything to do with write what you know. You know your own gender best perhaps? I always worry slightly that my male characters sound inauthentic sometimes. I ask my spouse questions on occasion when I'm too stuck. For my main story, my protagonist is female, Kassiopeia.

^ Exactly the reason I shy away from writing male characters. Aside from asking my spouse, I think reading stories written from a male perspective will probably be the best way to expand my experience and confidence.

Oddly enough, I've even read studies suggesting females tend to read female writers, and males tend to read male writers. I used to work in a book store, and definitely noticed this pattern as well.

D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member

Like the rest of you, I prefer writing about female characters and from their perspective, because that's what I'm familiar with. I not only identify as female, but I grew up in a family with no brothers and very few male cousins and even my closest friends during middle school and high school have always been girls. All older males in my family, like my dad and grandfathers, are that sort of old-fashioned men who doesn't talk much and never about their feelings. So I don't find it very surprising that writing from a male POV is hard for me and absolutely out of my comfort zone. Men are pretty much aliens to me in some cases :smiley:

And while I think we are all human first and our respective genders second, since I started interacting with males more, I had many eye-opening moments when I learned that men simply feel differently about some things, sometimes to such an extent that I can't even understand how they can feel that way (of course, I know that it might not have anything to do with being different genders but just being different people, I'm not trying to stereotype anyone, it's just my experience) - and that's why I wouldn't feel confident writing them.
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Here I am ...keeping my promise to be PROMPT with this update. (My fingers are nothing but bloody stumps now and PLEASE forgive any typos) You the readers have chosen who goes forward. <3 FAB build by Elke Renz​

mQVWkhF.jpg

https://lisabeesims.wordpress.com/2017/09/16/rose-white-search-for-a-king-a-bachelorette-challenge-9-three-roses-and-four-surprises/
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @Karilan Haha yeah, I suppose having male protagonists for D2D and A2A didn't help much with the gender confusion :joy:

For me, I intentionally chose a male protagonist for D2D because I had never written a male protagonist before, and I wanted to challenge myself. :) Then in doing my legacy, I decided to flip-flop the genders of my heirs each gen so that I could continue pushing myself to write male characters while also getting little 'breaks' where I can write female ones too :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Hello, all! :blush: I come bearing an A2A update. Harper has quite a bit to tell us in today's chapter :)

6.23: Crush
    2vnP8i3.png
    snvAF3B.png
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I'm a woman and at least four people can vouch for that, but I never felt discomfort with writing men or from their PoV. Though my favorite men to write are emotionally-charged and most of my male sims outside of serious stories like Uptown are gay, bi, and/or extremely gender non-conforming. I guess my games are this utopia where gendered socialization isn't as much of a thing, if at all, so there isn't the need to put up this limit on how anyone needs to be or behave.

I still play female sims more though because lesbian eye candy I like playing dress-up and I have more to dress them up in.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Well I mostly write my legacy from a female point of view but with an occasion chapter thrown thrown in by the heiress's brother, or a friend or future husband to be. I don't know how well I did on the male chapters
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    I want to start this by saying that I play rotationally, so obviously this might not be the answer they're looking for. No matter what sims I create to put in my game, they all have something in common with me (which could be as simple as liking pizza), but I also try to make sure they're all very different from me and each other and that no one is 100% "good" or "evil". That being said, I'm gender fluid (short definition: I can be a boy, girl, both, or neither depending on the day, and I'm very open to questions if anyone has any), so you could say that trying to have my created sims be very different from each other makes sense, in a way.

since your open to questions what happens when your neither?

if we didn't get along so well its the kind of question i would keep to myself.
    Those days are fun. Just kidding.
    - Clothing (and other things we assign genders to) become a complete nightmare, and I usually end up with a t-shirt, jeans, and a sweatshirt
    - I get a lot more annoyed at "feminine-sounding" terms of endearment (like sweetheart and dear-- yes, there are some teachers at my school that use these)
    - If any conversations arise about male or female stuff, prepare for me to go sit awkwardly in the corner and not look at anyone
    - Also, my breasts feel like these foreign objects that have somehow ended up living on top of my chest, and I feel really numb to them, like they aren't a part of me
    - Also, gendering inanimate objects or activities (like books, video games, sports, instruments, school subjects, clothing jewelry, colors) just makes things 1000x more complicated than they need to be
  • CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member
    I want to start this by saying that I play rotationally, so obviously this might not be the answer they're looking for. No matter what sims I create to put in my game, they all have something in common with me (which could be as simple as liking pizza), but I also try to make sure they're all very different from me and each other and that no one is 100% "good" or "evil". That being said, I'm gender fluid (short definition: I can be a boy, girl, both, or neither depending on the day, and I'm very open to questions if anyone has any), so you could say that trying to have my created sims be very different from each other makes sense, in a way.

- Clothing (and other things we assign genders to) become a complete nightmare, and I usually end up with a t-shirt, jeans, and a sweatshirt
    - I get a lot more annoyed at "feminine-sounding" terms of endearment (like sweetheart and dear-- yes, there are some teachers at my school that use these)
    - If any conversations arise about male or female stuff, prepare for me to go sit awkwardly in the corner and not look at anyone
    - Also, my breasts feel like these foreign objects that have somehow ended up living on top of my chest, and I feel really numb to them, like they aren't a part of me
    - Also, gendering inanimate objects or activities (like books, video games, sports, instruments, school subjects, clothing jewelry, colors) just makes things 1000x more complicated than they need to be

So, I've just googled 'genderfluid' because I'm not familiar with the term, but it didn't really help - what showed up were illustrations of one person in different clothing - typically feminine, typically masculine and then neutral. But I don't understand what clothing has to do with it, since, as you said we assign genders to clothing and other things, these things themselves don't really have any association with it. Just like colour pink is actually just a neutral colour like any other and it's only 'girly', because we decided it was.

I apologize if I sound ignorant or rude. The concept is new to me and English is not my mother tongue, so I can be clumsy when it comes to choosing the right words for what I want to say. The term 'gender' doesn't even exist in my language, so please, have patience with my uneducated self. @Pegasus143

thank you mackie like i said i never would have asked the question but you and i have a good friendship so i figured i would take a chance.
    because we have helped each other in the past. i renamed you mackie and you named the benders.

i know you know the last part i said that because the new people probably wonfer why i call you mackie. but we help each other.
    oh and i did get the joke. just getting tired.

You know I'm all about Disney!

yXJTgrb.jpg

i actually saw that. i mean the movie. i like it better than the play the play scared me. when mufasa died their was a giant echo.
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited September 2017

So, I've just googled 'genderfluid' because I'm not familiar with the term, but it didn't really help - what showed up were illustrations of one person in different clothing - typically feminine, typically masculine and then neutral. But I don't understand what clothing has to do with it, since, as you said we assign genders to clothing and other things, these things themselves don't really have any association with it. Just like colour pink is actually just a neutral colour like any other and it's only 'girly', because we decided it was.

I apologize if I sound ignorant or rude. The concept is new to me and English is not my mother tongue, so I can be clumsy when it comes to choosing the right words for what I want to say. The term 'gender' doesn't even exist in my language, so please, have patience with my uneducated self. @Pegasus143

Thanks for sharing @Pegasus143 , it's a topic I'd love to learn more about.

I think even if someone considers pink just a color, it's hard to refuse the fact that society in general, and the majority of people, view pink as a girls color, and blue as a boys color. When you meet a stranger, the only way to judge their gender is by their appearance - their hair style, their clothes, sometimes their inclusion of makeup. And since we are such a gender pronoun society, I imagine it takes a lot of thought/preparation for someone who is gender fluid to dress appropriately for the day if only to avoid misunderstandings throughout the day that could make the entire day un-enjoyable.

My perspective on gender and being comfortable with my gender has shifted and evolved a lot since I was a child. I was a late bloomer, but wow did I bloom - and I hated it. I avoided dresses and "pink" like a plague because I didn't want to be seen as a girly-girl. For a long time, I wondered whether I should have been a boy.
    I'm much more comfortable these days, and would say I'm more feminine than not, but I couldn't settle on a percentage.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member

Thanks for sharing @Pegasus143 , it's a topic I'd love to learn more about.

I think even if someone considers pink just a color, it's hard to refuse the fact that society in general, and the majority of people, view pink as a girls color, and blue as a boys color. When you meet a stranger, the only way to judge their gender is by their appearance - their hair style, their clothes, sometimes their inclusion of makeup. And since we are such a gender pronoun society, I imagine it takes a lot of thought/preparation for someone who is gender fluid to dress appropriately for the day if only to avoid misunderstandings throughout the day that could make the entire day un-enjoyable.

My perspective on gender and being comfortable with my gender has shifted and evolved a lot since I was a child. I was a late bloomer, but wow did I bloom - and I hated it. I avoided dresses and "pink" like a plague because I didn't want to be seen as a girly-girl. For a long time, I wondered whether I should have been a boy.
    I'm much more comfortable these days, and would say I'm more feminine than not, but I couldn't settle on a percentage.

well once upon a time pink was a boy's colour (ie 'strong') while blue was considered feminine (look at Wendy and Michael's night clothes in Peter Pan the 1953 Disney movie)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @CharmingMaruska Sometimes different clothing can help with something called dysphoria, which can make a person feel like they should or shouldn't have certain body parts, and can have varying symptoms, including feeling physically ill when having to look at, touch, talk about, etc. that body part, though it's all slightly different for each person. Clothing can be used to change a person's body-- for example, a chest binder can flatten breasts, or fake breast forms can be used to give the illusion that they're there.
    Some people also get dysphoria when people assume they're a boy, girl, etc. when they're really not, so some people find the need to dress to fit into society's standards for how a boy vs. a girl should look like.
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

well once upon a time pink was a boy's colour (ie 'strong') while blue was considered feminine (look at Wendy and Michael's night clothes in Peter Pan the 1953 Disney movie)

This is one of my favorite pieces of random trivia ever. (For more evidence, you can also look at the original Disney Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty; in current marketing Sleeping Beauty's dress is pink to distinguish her from Cinderella, but in the movies both wear blue.) It's really fascinating to think how universal color-coding infants by gender seems when we really haven't been doing it all that long. In fact, when they introduced pastel colors for infants, some people made the split not by gender but by hair or eye color. (Pink for brown eyed babies, blue for blue eyed babies, etc.)
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    Real men wear pink. I have a hot pink polo and a rose pink dress shirt I wear.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)

i'm not sure either but society decides women wear dresses and men wear pants.

i think genderfluid means you wear what you identify with that day. i mean i'm explaining this badly

but i think it means a genderfluid person dresses how they feel that day without worrying about feminine or masculine.

i'm probably wrong though.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Unless your Scottish... you can wear a kilt! ;) I had college professors who would wear kilts and there is a man at my church that does too. I think it's awesome they are proud of their heritage.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Yeah kilts are almost trendy among men these days. My brother's best friend wore one to his high school graduation.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top