Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ship names between premade sims? Should they exist or am I the only one?

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited September 2017
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_(fandom)

Evidently the term has around for ages, probably from the first wide-spread TV series that gained a massive audience (think Star Trek (the first iteration). But this silly "combi-name" or "Name-Blending" thing has only been a recent thing. I don't find it interesting...and frankly it's not something that I'd engage in doing.

As for me, I've seen "shippers" in JAG and they're a crazy bunch - Harm/Mac shippers especially - when in the later seasons Mac turned into a complete and utter antithesis of who she was in the first two seasons and treated Harm like utter plum,

As far as Sims 3 is concerned, I usually match my Sims with River. And trust me, that combined name doesn't sound great. Harver...doesn't really work. Even my two Simselves (my RL wife and myself) that I'm playing right now...don't work out too well. So we just go by Heather and Haruo. (Hearuo or Harther? Either way... UGH)

No silly Name-Blending for us.

On another thought. I'm seriously glad I didn't go gaga for Jamie Jolina. - the name blend would have been Harmie. Oh, dear...
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer , I hate the name blending also, it sounds so juvenile! :s
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    My first and most intense ship was/is Spuffy. There are other couples from favorite TV shows that I "ship" but not to the extent that I identify with a ship name. I don't play two Sims 3 townies together so am not invested in any of those couples enough to spend time coming up with ship names for them.

Also I have never seen "ship" names done on sur names before. That seems carrying a concept to the extreme and making it complicated for no reason. If the couple is not famous enough to be recognized by the combination of their first names why bother with adding their last names into the mix.

I'm not into the whole Kardashian thing, but I have seen pictures...

I'm going to attack Boyd next time I see him with a non facial makeover, I may age him down though. I'd like to see if there is any true potential there though I doubt I would be playing him anytime soon. Sometime aging down does wonders, Nick Alto is a total bundle of gorgeous aged down.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @KaikoMikkusu Sorry, I meant Ginny :p (no idea why I said Jenny :| )
    5JZ57S6.png
    As far as X Files goes, Scully and Krycek are the main pairing I adore, and Connor and Jared together is just sick, I tried it once, put them in my bin, made them in to an unrelated household had Jared put the moves on Connor...I hated it and deleted the household almost immediately! Connor and Jared are forever strait in my saves. Twincest is a thing in Harry Potter FF, there are a bunch of George and Fred stories out there (don't ask how I know that...), I love Hermione/Snape pairings but my favorite is Hermione/Draco, though I haven't read HP FF for a long time.

Don't mind the shipping at all but the made up names for the pairs are just dopey....though it's probably just my advanced age showing. :s
  • katopotato1111katopotato1111 Posts: 6 New Member
    um...hi...how do I earn points
    My kids play Kingdom Hearts, I have no idea who the characters are though..
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    @katopotato1111, check the post on your wall as Rosemow as well as myself have explained how to become full members on the site... ;)
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Incestuous ships are bad and I always knew better than to get super-involved in shipping wars. Enjoy a good story first pls.

Ship names can be fun but I'm 110% done with trends like forcing them on every relationship or referring to pairs of characters just by their ship names. If they're not characters beyond the ship then they're not good characters or you're not reading them as such.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    My favorite Sims ship is Mortimer and Bella. How about Morella?
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    My favorite Sims ship is Mortimer and Bella. How about Morella?

Mortibella Gothelor. The only premade sim ship that really needs a ship name, alongside Betty and Bob which would be Bobetty Newovich.

I like those names!
  • venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    I never understood the term 'shipping' until I got to this board and someone had to explain it to me. :p

Most of the time, if a premade gets involved with my family, they get a backstory based on their traits. However, one of my sims is currently married to the born in game daughter of two premades from Hidden Springs. I agree, the two most famous Sims premade couples are Mortimer & Bella and Bob & Betty, they've existed since the original Sims.

I've heard of Kingdom Hearts and even looked at it a couple times but I'm not familiar with anybody there ;)
    jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2017
    As for shipping, I do think it goes too far at times. Fans constantly shipping people that are clearly not together (or choosing to keep it for themselves) and going on and on about it at every little occasion (Dan and Phil come to mind)(they came with their own ship name when they created a sim for Sims 4 by the way).
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    As for shipping, I do think it goes too far at times. Fans constantly shipping people that are clearly not together (or choosing to keep it for themselves) and going on and on about it at every little occasion (Dan and Phil come to mind)(they came with their own ship name when they created a sim for Sims 4 by the way).

They made a simself with traits and appearance that was basically a mix of themselves. Like a gem fusion. Named Dil Howlter. The ship name is cosidered to be Phan.

But yes, sims should'nt have ship names beside those I said. And even Boyd x Susan, Cycl0n3 x Blair, and Marty x Justine are stretches.

I Bolded the most annoying part of your post...Um.....WHY?? because you say those are the "correct" shipping names?? I personally feel most of the names you made up are totally unnecessary, everything doesn't need a shippy name, to an old fart like me it just sounds stoopid. YOU use them however you like as long as you don't dictate that those names are the the only ones that should be used by everyone, bossiness will get you nowhere. People can call their paired Sims whatever the hay they want....I call My Connor and Agnes pair....get this, it a bit tricky...Connor and Agnes!