Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Controlling Your Cats & Dogs: New Blog 8/31

Comments

• kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    edited September 2017
    I was a little upset about not controlling but reading this has made me feel better. :)
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Aside from the fact that creative control is yet again being taken away from us this line is what I find even more offensive "We think The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs is the best pets expansion we’ve ever made, and a big reason for that is the freedom we were granted by removing control."

Seriously EA your saying taking gameplay from storytellers is what makes an awesome expansion pack! And what's worst Simmers are supporting this because they believe that it's ok to control people but it's not ok to control a pet it's too unrealistic. I am so upset! The Sims used to be about giving the tools to give the players what they want to do and how to tell their own stories. I don't care how laggy The Sims 3 was cause we had so much freedom but more and more are we being told what to do and simply not being allowed to do what we could before. Why Simmers are supporting the idea of taking away gameplay from players I will never understand. And just as bad EA saying removing a feature is what makes a best expansion is truly heartbreaking. This is coming from someone who up until now always avoided these backlashes but I have to say my piece on this. We storytellers were let down badly.

Controlling people is different than controlling animals.

If they spent time developing playable animals, that's less time developed making them quirky.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Honestly, playing The Sims 3: Pets again made me realize how little Pets could even do as we played as them, I mean, the very limited amount of interactions, objects they can use and stuff they could do in general really makes them pointless as playable characters, they're even more limited than a vanilla Base Game Sim!
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited September 2017
    I don't care how laggy The Sims 3 was cause we had so much freedom but more and more are we being told what to do and simply not being allowed to do what we could before.

It's a video game like the other games, you're not supposed to do what you want, when you want, as you want... you don't rule.

• Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    I don't care how laggy The Sims 3 was cause we had so much freedom but more and more are we being told what to do and simply not being allowed to do what we could before.

It's a video game like the other games, you're not supposed to do what you want, when you want, as you want... you don't rule.

:cry: The harsh reality of TS4.....slogans were meant to be broken I guess. #deepmoment
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • PeppermixPeppermix Posts: 231 Member
    If we cant control our pets, only tell them to do things, I wonder how annoying bedtime will be. I never play with butlers, since they never sleep at the same time as the rest of the household. And they never do as they're told. So I really do hope that this won't be an issue with Cats and Dogs. I hope that pets can walk around the house at night without time running so slow.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    As someone who doesn't own TS4 but has played it and has an interest in The Sims franchise in general (I would love a MySims Agents 2 EA, lol) I don't see anything wrong with the "haters", "whiners" and "complainers". Positive and negative feedback are needed and who knows where this game would be today without someone moaning about something that could possibly make gameplay better or something that needs to be fixed.

I was someone who fell down the middle with control of TS3 pets. I didn't always control them but sometimes I wanted to and I was glad to have the option to, so I don't blame people for thinking this is another step back or that this will negatively impact the way they play. They have no choice but to play the way that's provided and while that's in line with some people's preferences it would've been helpful all around to have the option of whether to control them or not and let the player decide.

I also understand the people upset that they're not controllable yet they take up a household slot. It's not about pets taking up a slot so much as not having enough slots for actual playable family members in the household (at least without the use of a mod).

However, these three lines specifically were really all that needed to be said, at least in my opinion.
    The question isn’t control or not control? It's what can we do with either solution, and why is one solution superior? What do we gain? What do we lose?
    There are many factors at play here, some technical, some design, but in a nutshell, if players could see and control every aspect of their cat or dog, it made it difficult for us to make them do surprising, fun, and unexpected things.
    We think The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs is the best pets expansion we’ve ever made, and a big reason for that is the freedom we were granted by removing control.

I do have questions, as I always do, and it's related to this decision, emotions, and traits, but I am glad that they took into account what all they could do with either choice and decided from there. That I get, even if the part about them having freedom by taking away the players control doesn't sit well with me. Nor does this "you can't control pets in real life" thing. By this logic the only controllable being in the sims should be a person's simself.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited September 2017
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Great blog. Although I would have loved to hear more about the game not a justification/defense cause of some plum players.

I'm getting real tired of being talked down about because of a different opinion. Because someone doesn't share your opinion on something they are a "plum player"? How is that any different then looking down on someone for the color of their skin or their romance preference? I am getting quite tired of how toxic this forums are towards each other. Why can't people be nice? Why call others names? Don't we have enough of that in the real world? Shouldn't these forums be a nice, respectful place to share a common interest and have fun?

@DivieOwl, if you see comments that violate the forums' code of conduct you should report it. :) The new forum moderators seem to be keeping on top of things.

ETA: Glad to hear you're become more open to the idea and willing to give it a shot.
    yes, divieowl, report. Start with your own comment :) I was merely commenting on the blog lol. Didn't even address anyone directly.
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    :o wow.
    I'm complaining because I own and play ts4 not because I play ts3 if I played ts3 I wouldn't give a rats bottom about a disappointing ep.
    I want more creative freedom to do what I want in game I'm giving my criticism of this pack in hopes in combination with other complaints future eps might actually give me that freedom I so deeply want in a Sims game.

I honestly didn't find this blog all that appeasing either but wow what a way to attack those of us who have expressed our grievances. :|
    I dunno what you have commented on the game. I mentioned the general irrelevant hate. I'm not saying everybody has to love everything but there's plenty and plenty of people who don't play the game or don't like it in general and spend their time compalining about it. It's absolutely okay to air your opinion if it is "common interest". But if you actually have no business with the game, like a lot of others, then...why are they even commenting? It has nothing to do with them.
    It can be about any subject. Ignorant people airing their ignorant and irrelevant negativity.

Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Do you think that there will be another blog next week?
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    @LenaDieters11 I do think so, they've been updating a lot just for this EP so i'm sure we'll hear something again next week.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I really hope the next blog will be about the neighborhood and the premades. Maybe they do one for dogs and one for cats?
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I'm actually quite happy with the fact that we can't control our pets this time around. To be quite honest, I was a bit befuddled at first, when I watched the trailer I mean, taking into consideration that I've been playing The Sims 3 again and have become used to the dogs and cats there (horses, well, not so much).

After mature thought, though, I've decided that it's better that we can't control them. We can't control our lovely companions in real life, thus it's only normal that we can't do the same with our Sims' pets. As a veterinarian in real life, and a huge animal rights supporter and activist, I think the Gurus team made a wise choice. It feels more natural, friendlier and more opportunity-open. I'm sure the pets will feel more spontaneous and enjoyable this way.

That's only my humble opinion, though. Well, we'll wait and see. Happy Simming, everyone!
  • JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    I'm so glad someone posted this topic. I haven't agreed with many decisions about TS4 but one thing I DO agree about is the ability of not controlling your pets. They've said forever ago that they want TS4 to be more realistic and to actually bond with your Sims. I think not being able to control your pets will help the player bond more with the pets. By being sporadic or annoying, it will be neat to see what shenanigans the pets will get into. For instance; irl my dog is barking early in the morning and won't stop and my cat is following me around the house. It would be creepy if I could control them. I'd be like Professor X or Jean Grey mentally telling my pets what to do. I loved pets in TS2. I loved Pets in TS3. But this is the same franchise; different game and I support this decision they are making and can't wait to see what they do with it. Whether you like TS4 or not you can't say that these haven't been the most complex and beautiful Sims to date. So what makes you think Pets would be any different? There's been incredible attention to detail regarding every element in TS4 (minus the ballpit). Lol. Let's give it a chance and go from there. People wouldn't be quiet about Pets and now they're getting it!
    71rbpi.png
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    AmySims09 wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that creative control is yet again being taken away from us this line is what I find even more offensive "We think The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs is the best pets expansion we’ve ever made, and a big reason for that is the freedom we were granted by removing control."

Seriously EA your saying taking gameplay from storytellers is what makes an awesome expansion pack! And what's worst Simmers are supporting this because they believe that it's ok to control people but it's not ok to control a pet it's too unrealistic. I am so upset! The Sims used to be about giving the tools to give the players what they want to do and how to tell their own stories. I don't care how laggy The Sims 3 was cause we had so much freedom but more and more are we being told what to do and simply not being allowed to do what we could before. Why Simmers are supporting the idea of taking away gameplay from players I will never understand. And just as bad EA saying removing a feature is what makes a best expansion is truly heartbreaking. This is coming from someone who up until now always avoided these backlashes but I have to say my piece on this. We storytellers were let down badly.

Yeah but knowing what your pets are going to do the whole time your playing the game would get very boring. That's probably the reason why simmers are supporting this.

We need some change and unpredictability in our games. Change keeps things interesting.

They have a good reason for doing this and I'm glad they made the right decision.

Taking away gameplay from storytellers is not a good idea! I'm all for change but again since the very beginning The Sims 4 has been about sacrifice. Which too this day I don't understand. Just like how I don't understand how you agree that pets are unrealistic in control but people are.

Because the Sims is all about controlling human sims. It wouldn't be much of a game if you couldn't control them.

Wouldn't you like to see what they get up to without micromanagement?

If what you are saying is true that The Sims is all about human Sims then why do we have vampires, mummies, witches, werewolves, aliens, etc. If The Sims is suppose to be only about "human Sims" then life states should not exist so that's far from true!
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

Yeah but knowing what your pets are going to do the whole time your playing the game would get very boring. That's probably the reason why simmers are supporting this.

We need some change and unpredictability in our games. Change keeps things interesting.

They have a good reason for doing this and I'm glad they made the right decision.

Taking away gameplay from storytellers is not a good idea! I'm all for change but again since the very beginning The Sims 4 has been about sacrifice. Which too this day I don't understand. Just like how I don't understand how you agree that pets are unrealistic in control but people are.

Because the Sims is all about controlling human sims. It wouldn't be much of a game if you couldn't control them.

Wouldn't you like to see what they get up to without micromanagement?

If what you are saying is true that The Sims is all about human Sims then why do we have vampires, mummies, witches, werewolves, aliens, etc. If The Sims is suppose to be only about "human Sims" then life states should not exist so that's far from true!

For me the reason is that those are still sims. They are just humans with different abilities. They are just humans that has been turned into supernaturals that can have unique powers that a normal sims didn't have. They are not animals, but then again they are humans.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I think for some the sims was just about the human sims. For others the sims was about control and simulation of all types of life. In ts4 they have evidently decided that the sims is just the human sim.
    I personally felt ts3 was more about playing all life.
    Guess it's just perspective but I always liked having total control of all life and just saw sims as a little world to manipulate to my whims. It wasn't necessarily about any individual component or family or even one sim it was the world building for me.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Honestly, I just played Sims 2 ( which also lacks control over animals ) and I must say: I don't miss it.
    Animals will autonomously feed themselves, cats wash themselves, they'll also pee where they want. Which to me, is much more realistic for animals.
    Animals are uncontrolled projectiles a lot of the times, and I think by removing the control, that's the best way to simulate that.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    agree to disagree. no one person's opinion is more valid than another. and whether you played since TS1 or the TS4 is your first game, again doesnt change the value of your (or anothers for that matter) opinion. people play different. some are going to like while others will dislike a decision that has been made. attacking one another, or the game developers, isn't the solution, nor is it "corrective criticism" it's just people being 🐸🐸🐸🐸 cause they didn't get what they wanted.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Reading the blog made me think of the way Parenthood was set up in terms of parenting. With Parenthood you could play a family only controlling the parents, with the parenting skill leveled up you can influence your children to do stuff, or force them to do stuff, like eat, sleep, go to the washroom, etc. I'm sure this will be a very similar way to how pets can be "controlled/commanded". Honestly if it's anything like the way parenthood is then I won't be disappointed, because you still have somewhat of a control over your pets to do things.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The sims is about whatever the devs want it to be about. Their opinion is the only one that matters in the end because they make the decisions. In this version, pets are not playable, their decision.

People seem to be under the false impression that we control how this game is created and what we can do in it. We do not. They ask for our opinions and ideas, some of which they add into the game, some they don't. Some people think that because they gave us this forum for feedback, not ultimate game control, we can say anything we want and demand to get it. Wrong. Do you contact other companies that produce things you buy and demand that they make changes and not raise prices? Get real. This is the EP we're getting. Buy it and enjoy it or don't.
  • yellowreeyellowree Posts: 126 Member
    To be honest, with controllable pets, either one is fine by me as long as EA/Maxis put work and effort into them. I wouldn't like to be really simple and dumb (Ex. Just walking around and having no control whatsoever). But if they are like real pets, it's fine. However, for storytellers, (and the people who like control) there could be a cheat to make them controllable like in the Sims 2.
    *pees ur pants*
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I like the idea of not controlling the pets.
    Looking forward to the pack and the surprises that await us!
  • ossi_simsossi_sims Posts: 11 New Member
    > @FairyGodMother said:
    > I like the idea of not controlling the pets.
    > Looking forward to the pack and the surprises that await us!

same :) o:)
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    You cannot control a pet in real-life so why should you in TS4?
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    You cannot control a pet in real-life so why should you in TS4?

You can't control people in real life either but you seem to be fine with this. So again double standard. It's not ok to control a pet but it's ok to control a person. With that mindset Simmers are starting to scare me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top