Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim can't return from Vacation

I sent my Sim to China to buy that martial arts training thingy and then I sent her home using a phone. The game would load, and then my computer would hang or crash. I once got as far as seeing my sim's house in her own town but when I tried to save, my computer hanged. Unfortunately, I was stupid enough to not keep a save file from before she left to travel to China. Did I permanently mess up my game?
39edf25f4f3d48e6b489772a75136841.gif?ssl=1&w=450
Check out my simlit here: Chronicles of Patchouli's Sims

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Travel, including returning home, is very jarring to the game. If not averse to using mods, many of us find that the combination of NRaas Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap, but especially Traveler, helps smooth out those fragile transitions and bring our sims to their destinations and back home again safely most of the time. Traveler is meant to be in place before your sim leaves home, but it might be worth a try to add it from China if you don't already have it (and the latest version).

If the mods are out of the question, the best you can do is relieve as much stress on the game as possible and try again. Temporarily turn down all graphics settings in Game Options to the the ugly bare minimum, including turning off Advance Rendering. Only attempt travel back home from a freshly loaded up game session. Have everything related to online features switched off, and stay logged out at the Launcher and in-game levels. If there are multiple sims in your travel party, have the others Return Home early and then have your one sim travel back alone (sounds like they are already alone though). But if the issue is something going wrong upon re-entry and not just overall stress on the game, it's still pretty iffy as to whether any of these things will help.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • PatchouliNittPatchouliNitt Posts: 78 Member
    I turned of all programs that I can that is running in the background, put graphics on low, and somehow managed to get my sim home. I also got Traveler since some of my sims are going to the university and hopefully they would be able to go home after too. Cross fingers.
    39edf25f4f3d48e6b489772a75136841.gif?ssl=1&w=450
    Check out my simlit here: Chronicles of Patchouli's Sims
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Glad you got through that. Whatever you do with or without mods though, I would strongly recommend an extra Save As or two before travel next time so you don't stand to lose your entire game if your sim gets stuck again.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net