Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with transfering game to a different drive

Hi!
I have a newish gaming laptop that has a small SSD on my default drive (C), and a much larger hard drive on D. When I first installed The Sims 4 - the option to save to drive D was not working - it kept saving to the default SSD (Drive C).

Now here's my question - am I able to transfer my game on drive C to drive D? I am running out of space on my SSD and with City Living coming, I need to make some room.

Will this cause any problems with my custom content and mods?

(I am not a techie, so please use terms a computer n00b could understand, lol )

Thank you sooo much in advance for any help!
akddFdd.gif

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Hello
    I will quote here what was written by EA on a thread on the AHQ EA site.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/Moving-My-Origin-Games-To-Another-Hard-Drive/td-p/4402152
    Yes you can move your games to the second hard drive. Easiest way to do this is the following:
    Make sure that the download directory in your Origin client reflects your desired location (Origin menu - Application Settings - Advanced).
    Start the download for the game, but pause it as soon as the progress bar appears.
    Move your game folder on your C drive to the newly created folder on your second hard drive
    Just repeat the process for all your games and you should be good to go.

More info: http://help.ea.com/en/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

The more information link helps to explain the process.
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games
    With the new look of the origin program though, the location of where things are in origin may be different.
    ' My games "has now been replaced by "Games Library" , and the application settings area has a different look.
  • FreedomdeepFreedomdeep Posts: 99 Member
    Thank you both! I have another computer that I just updated my game - and I backed up my game files in case something goes wrong. I shall try this week to see if I can get everything transferred. Thanks again!
    akddFdd.gif
    I didn't have so much luck getting things transferred. I do not know where I went wrong. I followed the steps to make sure the game files went to my hard drive. I had no option to install the game on my hard drive. I copied the Electronic Arts/Sims 4 folder to my hard drive and named it different from the original according to what the article said to do. When I tried booting up my game, Origin created a whole new Electronics arts/sims 4 folder on my SSD (C drive). I have deleted that and still re-downloaded the game over night + every pack and it re-installed on my C drive, grrr..

I can't seem to get Origin to recognize my game files in Drive D. (not my Origin installer files). I am confused at what I am doing wrong and how I can correct it. I saw on another post that seemed wayyyy over my head on how to place a junction in the C drive in order to confuse it in thinking the game file is in there.

2zz22p2.jpg

akddFdd.gif
    edited October 2016
    Hello
    The folder that you copied over was the documents -electronic arts -sims 4 folder, which isn't the program files . The program files that needed to be renamed /copied over are found under
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games

What may be easier to do, is to uininstall the game. Then log into Origin, click on the origin label at the top of the screen. Click on application settings, then click on " Install and saves" section label at the top of the screen. Go to "Game Library location" on the screeen page and change the folder location so that it is on your D drive.
    Then go to your games library. Click on the sims 4 picture and download /install the game,
    edited October 2016
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    The folder that you copied over was the documents -electronic arts -sims 4 folder, which isn't the program files . The program files that needed to be renamed /copied over are found under
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games

What may be easier to do, is to uininstall the game. Then log into Origin, click on the origin label at the top of the screen. Click on application settings, then click on " Install and saves" section label at the top of the screen. Go to "Game Library location" on the screeen page and change the folder location so that it is on your D drive.
    Then go to your games library. Click on the sims 4 picture and download /install the game,

Thank you, Rosemow for all your help. I am so frustrated with this. In the picture I shared before, Origin is saved in the correct folder on my D drive. It is my Electronic Arts folder that I need to be saved to the other drive as it's hogging up my SSD (C drive). I have reinstalled the game already last night and my game saves still go on my C drive.

I hope I am making sense...I am completely confusing myself or something, sigh lol.

I am really a noob at this and really need things super simplified...thank you for all your time.
    akddFdd.gif
  • Chain34Chain34 Posts: 5 New Member
    Did you find an actual solution to this problem? It seems like no one understood the problem is sims is saving the electronic folder to the C drive. I keep having the same issue. My document files go to my A dive and my orgins files are also saved to my A drive. Yet sims 4 constantly tries to save to my C drive. I even deleted the document folder out of my C drive user and it went to my C drive public folder.I have plenty of storage on both drives but I would like it to be saved on my A drive. Those links aren't helpful because all they tell you is how to free space. Sims4 is still trying to pull electronic game data from my c drive and I need it to focus on A. Any ideas?
    Chain34 wrote: »
    Did you find an actual solution to this problem? It seems like no one understood the problem is sims is saving the electronic folder to the C drive. I keep having the same issue. My document files go to my A dive and my orgins files are also saved to my A drive. Yet sims 4 constantly tries to save to my C drive. I even deleted the document folder out of my C drive user and it went to my C drive public folder.I have plenty of storage on both drives but I would like it to be saved on my A drive. Those links aren't helpful because all they tell you is how to free space. Sims4 is still trying to pull electronic game data from my c drive and I need it to focus on A. Any ideas?

Hello
    The whole Documents folder needs to be transferred to your A drive. Then your saves should be saved to your Documents-electronic arts -sims 4 -saves folder that is located on the A drive.
    [quote="rosemow;c-15971103"][quote="Chain34;c-15971089"]Did you find an actual solution to this problem? It seems like no one understood the problem is sims is saving the electronic folder to the C drive. I keep having the same issue. My document files go to my A dive and my orgins files are also saved to my A drive. Yet sims 4 constantly tries to save to my C drive. I even deleted the document folder out of my C drive user and it went to my C drive public folder.I have plenty of storage on both drives but I would like it to be saved on my A drive. Those links aren't helpful because all they tell you is how to free space. Sims4 is still trying to pull electronic game data from my c drive and I need it to focus on A. Any ideas?[/quote]

Hello
    The whole Documents folder needs to be transferred to your A drive. Then your saves should be saved to your Documents-electronic arts -sims 4 -saves folder that is located on the A drive.
    [/quote]

It has already, my problem is that Sims4 keeps making a electronics art folder and placing it somewhere with is C drive despite both documents and orgins all being under my A drive.
    Let me explain the problem a bit better. Before I even installed the game I already changed the location of my documents folder to my A drive instead of C. I also already changed the settings of my orgins account to put everything on my A drive prior to installing. After I installed Sims 4 I was surprised to find that it had created a electronic arts folder in my C drive documents folder despite my documents being already subjected to my a drive Documents. So I deleted that folder and now it creates a folder in public domain on the C drive. In game it says that it will save screen shots and videos to the C drive and won't let me change that either. I have no idea what to do with it. Is there anyway to make sims create the electronic arts folder in my A drive documents? (Remeber the location of my computers documents is already A drive.)
    Let me explain the problem a bit better. Before I even installed the game I already changed the location of my documents folder to my A drive instead of C. I also already changed the settings of my orgins account to put everything on my A drive prior to installing. After I installed Sims 4 I was surprised to find that it had created a electronic arts folder in my C drive documents folder despite my documents being already subjected to my a drive Documents. So I deleted that folder and now it creates a folder in public domain on the C drive. In game it says that it will save screen shots and videos to the C drive and won't let me change that either. I have no idea what to do with it. Is there anyway to make sims create the electronic arts folder in my A drive documents? (Remeber the location of my computers documents is already A drive.)

Hello
    Thankyou for your explanation.
    @chesterbigbird may be able to assist you.
    @rosemow Thanks so much for your help thus far. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
    edited August 2017
    @rosemow Thanks so much for your help thus far. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

You're welcome :) I hope that she may be able to help you. You could also post on her wall and ask her to send you a pm so as you can explain the issue. You are unable to send a pm to her, as you are still a new member.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    What method did you use to move the documents folder?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/253682/how-to-change-the-default-location-of-the-my-documents-folder
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

@chesterbigbird I did that method in the link to change the location of my folder.
  • LilacHakuLilacHaku Posts: 4 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello :)
    > This link will help . There is a video tutorial in the link post . You will need to move the whole documents folder to your D drive

Hi! I am having the exact same problem and struggling immensely. I cannot move my documents folder at all. When I open up the properties tab in for the Documents it doesn't have any tabs other than then info and I cannot edit ANYTHING. If I can't move it then I shouldn't bother moving the game should I? Because it won't work? I am at a total loss.
    LilacHaku wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello :)
    > This link will help . There is a video tutorial in the link post . You will need to move the whole documents folder to your D drive

Hi! I am having the exact same problem and struggling immensely. I cannot move my documents folder at all. When I open up the properties tab in for the Documents it doesn't have any tabs other than then info and I cannot edit ANYTHING. If I can't move it then I shouldn't bother moving the game should I? Because it won't work? I am at a total loss.

Hello @LilacHaku
    If you have a windows 10 computer, go the “this PC” icon on the desktop. Double click it, then there will be a Documents folder icon there. Right click that, then click properties. Then see if the location section is there.
    Then do what it is in the Video. I will directly post the video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYfNmGnbxNw