Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Swanson Legacy-New chapter(9/12)

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    fewlines wrote: »
    oh! i watched 13 Reasons Why. i almost didn't finish it, was so painful to watch. sorry to go off-topic, but what did you think of it?

I didn't watch the show I read the book that it's barely based on and frankly from my research- the show shouldn't even be called after the book they changed EVERYTHING. Clay isn't the type of person to throw a stone at a person window and yet in the show according to online resources he takes a candid picture of the candid cameraman and post it in the school? I don't even want to know how they change Tyson's character (the one Hannah gives the 2nd set of taps too) and the one character doesn't get his own tape in the book but in the show apparently he does. Apparently a drunk Jenny (Sherri in the show) inadvertently (ie by smashing a stop sign down) causes the death of an elder (NOT a high schooler). Also Clay doesn't decided to skip the line of mailing it straight to the Teacher/counsellor like in the show. I'm not even going to mention the method of... I'm going to let JGO do the talking about that (by quoting from a different blog of mine).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • fewlinesfewlines Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited August 2017
    yes, i suspect they changed many things (as is usually the case with shows/films based on books) to ensure high ratings. the character who is in charge of the second set of tapes (he's "Tony" on the show) i found to be the one i liked the most. he was the wisest and kind of the "glue" of the story. Clay was very annoying.

i have not read the book so this is just a guess, but maybe the show did not delve as deep as the book did. still, it was food for thought and i talked about it a lot with my co-workers. high school stuff aside, because we're all way older, it helped to think about things done in the past that might have influenced others. how words have power and can do harm. no matter how old we are.
    edited August 2017
    yes, i suspect they changed many things (as is usually the case with shows/films based on books) to ensure high ratings. the character who is in charge of the second set of tapes (he's "Tony" on the show) i found to be the one i liked the most.

wait till you see when I talk via JGO about method of..

at the moment I'm trying to find some costumes for JGO
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited August 2017
    ohh... i fear it's going to be very unsettling. it's a very sensitive subject.
    ohh... i fear it's going to be very unsettling. it's a very sensitive subject.

i don't mention this a lot but I have mental health first aid training (but its implied with Gen 2 and Gen 3 more so with Gen 3 heir) and I recently got Naxloene training as well..which will come in handy for this teen arc
    6adMCGP.gif
    what is Naxloene?
    honestly, your story is so very detailed. it must have been a lot of work to create.
    what is Naxloene?
    honestly, your story is so very detailed. it must have been a lot of work to create.

the antidote to something that can be created from poppies. Yeah it does take a lot of work to create but in history aspects I draw from memory since I'm a history buff.
    6adMCGP.gif
    aha! i see what you mean. ;)

also, it's so cool you know all of those historical facts by heart!
    aha! i see what you mean. ;)

also, it's so cool you know all of those historical facts by heart!

thanks!!
    6adMCGP.gif
    sure! it's very interesting.
  • Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    i wonder why you decided to make
    many of the characters "slaves" or to pick up after the rest of the family. i appreciate how the racial issues are depicted but a bit uncomfortable about the slurs TBH, as i am in real life, even if it's for the story's sake.

the first couple is Romeo and Juliet? and Jim Hawkins is from Treasure Island, IIRC? i have the feeling you're a very avid reader. ;)

@fewlines
    I really want to thank you for including this spoiler. I have been looking for a new Sim story to read and was going down the list of posts looking for one that sparked my interest. This one caught my eye so I decided to check out a few of the posts. I would have been heartbroken if I would have gotten into this story only to discover it had racial slurs and that type of race related material in it. I am a younger grandma (and still simming) at age 39 and my beautiful 12 month old granddaughter is half African American. All I can picture when I read those type of things is her sweet little face. It would have seriously hurt my heart. Thank you again so much.

edited August 2017
    @Kim5496: i understand. i'm way more upset now because i am seeing things through your eyes, in a way.
    the characters endure much hardship. the slurs i alluded to are spoken by a villain.
    (even if this is a serious post and i am treating it as such, i do have to say... how cool to find a fellow 30-something Simmer!)

@MadameLee, food for thought... i don't remember what warning you added about this. but perhaps you could specifically state that you do not endorse racism/slurs/any form of discrimination, and explain they are used for storytelling purposes, as it happens in other works of fiction. just to give readers a heads-up and the choice to continue or skip the chapter or stop reading altogether.
    edited August 2017
    @Fewlines-when I get home i just need to add it to the one chapter. I should also include it in the chapter index as well.

BTW what did you think of my "song chapters"?

@Kim5496
    Kim5496 wrote: »
    i wonder why you decided to make
    many of the characters "slaves" or to pick up after the rest of the family. i appreciate how the racial issues are depicted but a bit uncomfortable about the slurs TBH, as i am in real life, even if it's for the story's sake.

the first couple is Romeo and Juliet? and Jim Hawkins is from Treasure Island, IIRC? i have the feeling you're a very avid reader. ;)

@fewlines
    I really want to thank you for including this spoiler. I have been looking for a new Sim story to read and was going down the list of posts looking for one that sparked my interest. This one caught my eye so I decided to check out a few of the posts. I would have been heartbroken if I would have gotten into this story only to discover it had racial slurs and that type of race related material in it. I am a younger grandma (and still simming) at age 39 and my beautiful 12 month old granddaughter is half African American. All I can picture when I read those type of things is her sweet little face. It would have seriously hurt my heart. Thank you again so much.

@Kim5496
    there hasn't been a lot of talk on this thread unlike Citzen's and others' more popular threads. I appolgize it makes you uncomfortable but I'm just telling a story using my knowledge of history and classical books
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    @Kim5496: i understand. i'm way more upset now because i am seeing things through your eyes, in a way.
    the characters endure much hardship. the slurs i alluded to are spoken by a villain.
    (even if this is a serious post and i am treating it as such, i do have to say... how cool to find a fellow 30-something Simmer!)

You're so sweet. thank you. <3 I love meeting new simmers of any age but it's especially exciting when I meet someone who is around my age. :smile:
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @Kim5496
    there hasn't been a lot of talk on this thread unlike Citzen's and others' more popular threads. I appolgize it makes you uncomfortable but I'm just telling a story using my knowledge of history and classical books

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. What do you mean that there is not a lot of talk on this thread? I'm confused.
    Also I understand that a lot of Sim Stories are written about a variety of topics and not all of them are pleasant. However, I just don't feel like racial slurs should be used just for entertainment purposes. Of course you are more than welcome to write about what you want and this is only my opinion. I'm not going to bash your content or get in a debate with you about it. My post was just thanking Fewlines for pointing it out so I didn't have to spend time reading and getting into the story only to not wanting to continue reading it. Have a great day.
    edited August 2017
    @Kim5496: *hug*

@MadameLee: thanks a lot for adding the warnings. i am/feel a little more at ease now. (about your song posts, i don't know any of them but they sound like fun. there was one chapter where at the end they all look like they're doing a choreography?)
    edited August 2017
    @Kim5496: *hug*

@MadameLee: thanks a lot for adding the warnings. i am/feel a little more at ease now. (about your song posts, i don't know any of them but they sound like fun. there was one chapter where at the end they all look like they're doing a choreography?)

That could be either "Rotten to the core" chapter or "Ways to be Wicked" probably the former. Both from (Disney)'s Descendants movies. 70lIN92.jpg
    97400edba98b5f871ed605055f9a445a.400x225x25.gif

6adMCGP.gif
    i don't know that film, @MadameLee. the last Disney film i watched was (most likely) Mulan. i have a feeling that things have changed a lot since then. :D
    i don't know that film, @MadameLee. the last Disney film i watched was (most likely) Mulan. i have a feeling that things have changed a lot since then. :D

these are Disney Channels movies and franky they're quite good (Descendants 1 and Descendants 2 just came out in July)
    6adMCGP.gif
    oh, ok! great!
    oh, ok! great!

the "Mirror of Memories" chapter's song is actually from the musical "Les Miserables" which is based on the book of the same name. In Hanna's act part of Gen 2 after my more sensible "true-love" buiness (ie Hannah getting injured baddly) and Hannah I and Jacob meeting in the night (in the chapter called "Meeting in the Night" have two songs. A deleted but on credits but re-inserted song from 1994? Pochantas called "If I Never Knew You" and then a song from The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride "Love will Find a Way". Then 2 of the songs (one in Gen 3 an interlude chapter which is called "Friends") is the theme song from the TV show of the same name. Well the song used in "Gossip" is from a show called Pretty Little Liars ( i watched never Friends or PLLs). In 5.3 chapter Juilet, Haily and their Mom in their band called "The Muses" sing a song called " I Wouldn't Say I'm in Love from Disney's Hercules (but it's near the end of the chapter after Juliet's almost kidnapping). The following chapter interlude is called "Take me to Wonderland" from the song of the same name.
    6adMCGP.gif
    that's really cool. i have a copy of Les Miserables and started to read it ages ago. it's huge. i wish i had the attention span to finish it. same thing with James Joyce's Ulysses.
    that's really cool. i have a copy of Les Miserables and started to read it ages ago. it's huge. i wish i had the attention span to finish it. same thing with James Joyce's Ulysses.

It's my "bowling" book-I got a copy myself of Les Miserables. I noticed it in Nov in (Store 1 in a mall) but then I noticed it again in (used bookstore in Toronto) so when I saw it-I thought "Its calling to me" and I grabbed it.
    6adMCGP.gif
    it's really, really sad but a wonderful story. i saw it as amateur musicals, twice. very dramatic and pretty songs.
    edited August 2017
    it's really, really sad but a wonderful story. i saw it as amateur musicals, twice. very dramatic and pretty songs.

I only seen the musical one-but I do have part of the theme song in Gen 6. That dreadful year we had a Frozen winter (2013)
    6adMCGP.gif
    @fewlines I can't decided which book to have JGO review first..
    6adMCGP.gif