Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Never done CAW, have some questions

So it appears that we could use the CAW tool on an EA world? Would this allow me to make changes which would be present every time I loaded that world in any new or saved game?

Would I be able to use this on the WA worlds to be modified for every new/saved game as well? Would it allow me to make regularly playable worlds from the WA vacation worlds?

Alternately, is there any way to add more worlds through the WA system? (outside of the mod that allows any world to act as a vacation world)

Is there any reason any of the above wouldn't be allowed?

Comments

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Not a CAW person, but I think you would need to give your modified EA world a new name and load that world each time you wanted to start a game there, just as if you were beginning a game in a custom-made CAW world.

I'm pretty sure people have made regular worlds out of WA worlds, but how to go about it I don't know. Also fairly certain you cannot have more vacation worlds than the three WA worlds without modding.

You'd be more likely to get helpful answers (instead of uncertain attempts to answer like mine) if you posted your questions in the Create A World forum under Game Tools: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/create-a-world.

If you decide to do some CAW work, would love to see what you come up with. :)

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @suzses thank you, I hadn't realized there was a separate forum :)
  • Fireheart2010Fireheart2010 Posts: 148 Member
    I haven't tried working around the already made EA worlds in CAW but, I think if you just open the file up and then do "save as" you should be able to modify it and make your own town out of it.
    peace_love_adopt_rectangular_sticker-r4646840974ac43558d16db15cbd53fcb_v9wxo_8byvr_307.jpg?rvtype=content

• Kay8OrangeKay8Orange Posts: 291 Member
    I've never done CAW and have some questions too. Where can I download CAW? Do I need it to download other players' worlds? And where can I find those worlds?
    @Fireheart2010 Thanks!

@CrazyCandySims You can download it here and download other worlds from the exchange
    @Fireheart2010 Thanks!

@CrazyCandySims You can download it here and download other worlds from the exchange

Thanks, but the "download it here" link leads to a page not found.
    @CrazyCandySims weird. Go to sims3.com, pick the game drop-down, go to tools, then world.
    edited August 2017
    @crativemetaphor Just tried that and still got page not found, so I logged in to see if that was the issue. Now all I get is a "The site is down for maintenance. Please try again later." message, so I'll have to try again later. Hopefully it's there.
    Yeah, no, I'm still getting page not found. I still remember that I tried going to Games > Tools > Create A World several months back, but got the same thing. Is CAW even available anymore? Or am I encountering some weird glitch that seems only to be targeting me?
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I just went there to try to download CAW and it's currently downloading for me.I chose the 167 version as my patch level is 167.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    @TadOlson I wonder why it shows up as page not found for me then? It's really strange. Is there anywhere else that I can find CAW on the site?
    It was that the internet was very slow last night and you might've been affected by limited bandwidth.I had issues last night and it was slow internet causing it.I tried again and this happened.
    Here's my attempt on downloading CAW recently.
    Taken while downloading.
    35902405763_a58ec27eed_c.jpg
    Taken after attempted download.
    36665987116_85c56b4371_c.jpg
    @TadOlson I'm still not getting to the page. All I get is this.

b1e04a14ef33d81163ac4ec8afacc264-dbkv0ih.png

I have fast internet, and I only remember it randomly being slow just for a few minutes last night. I don't understand what you mean by "bandwidth" though?
    It's what gets taken up when too many people in your area or household start using the internet at the same time.It sounds like you might need to empty a browser's cache if it's still doing that.I was loading the site on SeaMonkey and was able to get CAW to download fine.
    I'm the only one in my household that has a computer and I just cleared my cache. I'm still getting the same page. :( What's SeaMonkey?
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    I'm the only one in my household that has a computer and I just cleared my cache. I'm still getting the same page. :( What's SeaMonkey?

I re-downloaded it from right here just days ago. https://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world Are you clearing your internet explorer/Microsoft edge browser (even if that's not the one you usually use?)
    @jessabeans I've never used Internet Explorer but I just cleared any history. I'm still getting page not found.
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited August 2017
    The sims 3 site and launcher uses it for everything, so even of you don't use it clearing it usually fixes problems if they are on your end. It's strange that you can't see it, I can't think of what else it could be. Sorry
    edited August 2017
    @jessabeans It's alright, thank you for trying to help. This is the strangest kind of glitch I've ever encountered.
    ...Actually, I found this site that has a link that, if clicked, would start downloading CAW straight away. Would it be safe to try and download CAW from there? Or is it not allowed, since it's not the Sims 3 site?
    Post edited by Kay8Orange on
    edited August 2017
    I finally found out what the issue was! I'm from Canada, and I just remembered that some options don't show on the EA Help site depending on a person's country. I just changed my country on The Sims 3 Exchange from Canada to United States to see if that changed anything, and it did! CAW finally shows, so the Canada CAW page must have a glitch. Whatever the issue is, I'm finally able to download it! :smiley:
  • KraehiKraehi Posts: 6 New Member
    Adding a comment here because I can't seem to be able to make a new topic. I use custom terrain paints in CAW but how do I install them in my game?
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    @Kraehi wrote: »
    Adding a comment here because I can't seem to be able to make a new topic. I use custom terrain paints in CAW but how do I install them in my game?

Hi :)

They don't go in the game. You'll have to get a 3rd party program to make Terrain paint for in game. :)
  • KraehiKraehi Posts: 6 New Member
    > @Rflong7 said:
    > @Kraehi wrote: »
    >
    > Adding a comment here because I can't seem to be able to make a new topic. I use custom terrain paints in CAW but how do I install them in my game?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi :)
    >
    > They don't go in the game. You'll have to get a 3rd party program to make Terrain paint for in game. :)

Thanks so much! I tried finding answers on Google but kept getting mixed results. Are there any you recommend? You are my hero!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Kraehi wrote: »
    > @Rflong7 said:
    > @Kraehi wrote: »
    >
    > Adding a comment here because I can't seem to be able to make a new topic. I use custom terrain paints in CAW but how do I install them in my game?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi :)
    >
    > They don't go in the game. You'll have to get a 3rd party program to make Terrain paint for in game. :)

Thanks so much! I tried finding answers on Google but kept getting mixed results. Are there any you recommend? You are my hero!
    I actually never worried about it. If I used a terrain paint I made then there is no reason for them to edit it to that color. Say it's purple grass... I cover the areas that need purple grass and so there's no reason to add purple grass.
    You can cover small places in CAW under the lots so it shows in game on the lot. If I'm explaining it.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to which program to use. I think it's a TSR program.
  • djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    @creativemetaphor have you had issues with Windows 10 and using CAW? I have it downloaded and when I went in to create a world my computer blue screened. :disappointed: I never had this issue before the update to Windows 10, so I'm not sure what happened. Maybe someone here has an answer if you are not sure.

Thanks in advance everyone.