Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help! Game crashes & stuck on saving!

OK so I've searched the forums and I know I'm not the only one w/ this problem but none of them got solved.

Info:
I have a mac & sims 3 generations, seasons, late night, and pets. I have nrass mods. And some store content.

I recently reinstalled the game after problems, and now I'm having more problems.

It started a few days ago, with saving loops. I go to save the game, normal save, (not save and quit) and it sometimes saves but about 1/4 of the time it gets stuck saving for hours. It happened just now, which is why I'm writing this.

Another issue: I go to save and quit, and it saves then gets stuck on a black screen. I can exit fullscreen mode but that does nothing.

Both of these issues cause me to have to force quit the game.

The other problem I'm having is crashing. Let's put it this way: I haven't quit the game normally in days. It always crashes. Suddenly, crashes.

Also sometimes there are errors and it needs to debug, leading to it, again, crashing. This is a known issue on macs and there's nothing (in my research) you can do about it.

Ok done with my rant ;)

But if you have a possible solution to any of the issues please do tell me! Any help is help!

Comments

• caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited November 2013
    I would not use the combined 'Save & Quit' option. Instead just use 'Save' (or 'Save As' from time to time, to create back ups), then 'Quit' separately. Do this while in windowed mode (hit cmd-return) so that if the game freezes you can force-quit the game rather than have to turn off the computer. How frequently are you saving? I save quite a lot, perhaps twice per sim day and always before going into CAS or Build/Buy.

I also get a black screen while the game quits but mine does disappear after a while. It can seem like a long time.

You say you are using mods - are they definitely up to date and for your patch level? Speaking of which, are you patched up to date? The latest patch contained some fixes for Mac simmers that did seem to help quite a lot of us.

You also mention that you had to reinstall recently. Did you do a clean uninstall including looking for and deleting any stray files - see BluebellFlora's guide for details:
    http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Finally, I would strongly recommend resetting RAM occasionally while you are playing. It made a big difference to my game. I purge after opening the launcher (because opening that seems to hog a load of memory), then from time to time I check while playing. Usually I save when my sim is ready for bed, in windowed mode, and while I'm doing that I check the memory in Activity Monitor and purge the RAM if necessary.

Here is a guide on what to do, again from Bluebell's site:
    http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • olive337337olive337337 Posts: 410 Member
    edited November 2013
    thank you! I dont think i am patched to current date...do you mean the manual one? I haven't gotten around to it yet but i think i will. my mods are all compatible, and I'm checking out the links you gave.
    edited November 2013
    Hello again,

You can use the manual superpatcher. Download the one for your region from here:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/549552.page

I just updated via the Launcher and that worked for me, but I have noticed a lot of posts from simmers who couldn't get the update through the Launchers so are dependent on the manual patch.

The new patch seems to include some fixes that stabilise the game on Macs. However I would still save often and purge the RAM in order to avoid crashing.

Good luck!
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
    edited November 2013
    thanks again, im patching now.
    unfortunatly i can't get xcode because my computer isnt updated enough...so i can't purge the ram which is a disappointment. is there any other way i can get it besides the app store?
    edited November 2013
    just found out the patch cannot be installed because "i cannot apply the patch on this version of the application. please reinstall." but that can't be...i just reinstalled it like a week ago...?
    edited November 2013
    Hi Olive

Oh dear. I am not sure what to suggest now, as I've never actually used the superpatcher myself. Did you definitely download the correct version for your region? Also what patch level are you already at? Maybe you are already up-to-date so the patch won't work?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about this will answer.

For Xcode, you can either get it from the Apple App Store or if you're using Snow Leopard you can find it on the disc that came with your Mac. Which operating system are you using?

Caspin
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • alexis117alexis117 Posts: 13 New Member
    can someone help im stuck on saving only way im able to exit the sims 4 is to shut down my laptop if i press to exit in the windows tab it won't exit the game why does ea even put that there if it does not work while saving or any time
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @alexis117 You posted in the sims 3 Mac section. Are you playing the sims 3 or 4? You have a laptop or a Mac? If you have a windows laptop you can end the game by opening task manager and quit the game there