Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing single sims is much more fun here!

It's mostly considered the "classic way" of playing The Sims: Creating a single sim, let them level up in their careers, let them marry and eventually having kids. I never tried before some months ago when I created a single sim, not a family, and tried it out myself.
In TS4, I would become bored too quickly when I don't have a family or roomies household that I play parallel to the single sim - this isn't the case in TS3 - the game seems to be so rich in gameplay that I was never bored with the single sim I created - now he's married, I wouldn't have come this far with TS4 in ten years :D Now I will try this with one or two other sims too!
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    The very first single sim I ever played in this game was heir 18, which means I'd played 17 generations with more than one plus some try out families in the beginning. And I can confirm I totally agree with you, it is great fun. After him I played two families and then it was time for a single sim again. A vagabond. I can highly recommend that (starting with a completely broke sim with no house, which works perfectly when you put them on an empty lot).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I don't think I have ever played a single sim in ts3. I did in ts2 cos I went through the Apocalypse challenge, and I have done it in ts4 for a very short while (which was boring). Maybe I will give it a go.
  • Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Oh I agree! I enjoy playing single sims in TS3, there's so much for them to do compared to 4. However, I usually quickly lose interest once they start having babies, then I start a new save with a single sim and there's always some new idea I haven't tried yet, I'm currently trying out a scubadiving, sea-going ladies man with dreams to own a resort someday :). I tried a legacy save but gave up when something happened and wiped out all my hard earned perfect plants. Been playing single sims ever since.
    In Sims 4, I have an ongoing legacy with the 9th heir just entering YA, but I find it boring to play a single sim.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    The very first single sim I ever played in this game was heir 18, which means I'd played 17 generations with more than one plus some try out families in the beginning. And I can confirm I totally agree with you, it is great fun. After him I played two families and then it was time for a single sim again. A vagabond. I can highly recommend that (starting with a completely broke sim with no house, which works perfectly when you put them on an empty lot).

I like starting out that way too.
    I make a tiny lot that I place in an odd place around town. Nooks away from the normal neighborhoods.

You all just reminded me of a single sim scenario that I created, tested lightly, but never got around to playing fully.
    It was inspired by the detective career, which I find really boring because it is so scripted. So I am embellishing the career with role playing.

This diner is the center piece of the scenario. My detective sim hangs out here.
    Screenshot-10127.jpg

He doesn't cook, so he eats here.
    Screenshot-10130.jpg

My Bridgeport is highly edited and has a lot of sims that I have added.
    It's great to see them come by the diner to eat.
    Screenshot-10134.jpg

There is a detective agency on the second floor. This is considered his office and home.
    Screenshot-10140.jpg

Screenshot-10148.jpg

There is a dance studio on the top floor.
    Screenshot-10144.jpg

His real home is actually a tiny vacant lot where he can pay bills and pick up his newspaper, but other than doing that, he doesn't have any other reason to go there. I wish we could actually have an apartment over a community lot. They are usually active with something going on and you get to see the other townies more often.
    Screenshot-10142.jpg

Being a single sim, he sometime will start a romantic relationship with visitors to the lot or clients from his cases.
    Screenshot-10243.jpg

I do have a freshly edited Bridgeport.
    I am going to start this scenario tonight and play through the entire career.
    Screenshot-10244.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    That's all I ever play no matter what. :p Ok, sometimes I branch out with a couple but I never make the kids in CAS. Sometimes they only stay single for a week because I'm impatient. If you've never tried playing premades before, I recommend doing this as well. Most of them come with some pretty interesting back stories.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I've never enjoyed playing a single sim but that's the beauty of this game. We can all play our own styles :)
    @CK213 I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a fan of the way you set up your games! That diner is amazing by the way, I don't know if it's intended but it reminds me of Hopper's Nighthawks.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited August 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @CK213 I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a fan of the way you set up your games! That diner is amazing by the way, I don't know if it's intended but it reminds me of Hopper's Nighthawks.

Yeah, that was the inspiration. :)
    1200px-Nighthawks_by_Edward_Hopper_1942.jpg

Of course the game limits accuracy.
    Screenshot-10132.jpg

I am playing now, having my sim alternate between cases, working at the police department, stakeouts, and hanging out at the diner and dive bar.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Fireheart2010Fireheart2010 Posts: 148 Member
    I like playing with single sims. I get bored with a family because I find it hard to focus on all of my sims, I like to focus on just 1 so when I'm done building my world I may attempt to do the legacy challenge and not marry my founder until she's pretty successful.
    peace_love_adopt_rectangular_sticker-r4646840974ac43558d16db15cbd53fcb_v9wxo_8byvr_307.jpg?rvtype=content

• TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I play entire towns and some households will be single sims who might work full time jobs or have pets until they find somebody to get married to.I will play all families in my towns though so I can change families in any game at any time if I get bored with one.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I agree. Single sims are so fun in Sims 3. I love exploring Bridgeport at night in the snow or hanging out on a houseboat watching the sunrise and the rain fall on the water. If I want a relaxing game or an exciting game Sims 3 has it all. Every world has so much to do and see.
  • stelliestellie Posts: 30 Member
    Personally, I don't have a preference. It depends on my mood. <3
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I find this interesting, since 4 is the only one I can play a single sim in. In 2 and 3 try as I may to just have one they ALWAYS get married and have like 3-6 kids. But since I feel ts4 still lacks a lot of family play even with parenthood out, I find it much nicer to just make a single sim go out clubbing with their GTT friends and collect all of the things. I HAVE to play big families in 2 and 3.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I have often started with a single female sim, with the firm intention to let her stay single and try some career, or let her go on world adventures or something. Then I got bored and suddenly there were 8 sims in the household. I have stopped fighting it. Mostly, I concentrate on one or two sims and let the others run amok ISBI-style (well, I make sure that they eat and sleep and do their homework and stuff).
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    I think it's impossible for me to play a single sim for long :D When I create a single sim so I can just focus on playing out a career or exploring the world, they always end up having a family! I created Tawny just so I could explore Starlight Shores better without worrying about the new careers, and she ended up married with 5 kids. I made Bobbi to do the detective career in Sunset Valley, and now she's a single mother. I made Nadine to explore Bridgeport and become a 5 star celebrity, and now she's pregnant. I just have a need to have at least one baby in every game because raising kids is what I love to do in Sims 3 :innocent:
    edited August 2017
    For me it's the opposite really. I've played families for years, but now I find myself coming up with all kind of well working excuses to have the necessary offspring (playing generational) without having to completely bother. Heir 18's child was born and raised in another household, he didn't even know she existed so we never even visited her growing up. The vagabond had many children with many women, all raised by their mothers as well. And my current sim does have a baby (with the vagabond by the way), but though he is in my household, he's being taken care of by a friend who is a roommate in my game (and he does a perfectly good job; walking and talking he learns in the playpen and with the walker). That way I can still take her everywhere. For me the game always caves in when I have to focus on raising kids. Also because it often means the 'sting' is out of the story. Lovers finally found each other and started a family. For me that takes away a spark.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @CK213 You posting pics of Jun Xu,do I need to say more :love: You get an instant awesome.

I take that back who in their right mind plays using her. :#

azt0GmE.jpg

f7uXGAM.jpg

igWJQD1.jpg

lofaiuF.jpg

:p

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    I usually start with a single sim and play that sim until almost all skills are maxed or they get their lifetime wish and then marry them to a townie and work on that sim's skills. Then they have kids, etc. I play on epic, obviously. :D And I may have problems with multi-tasking when I am trying to relax.
  • CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    edited August 2017
    As an avid single sim player on both TS3 and TS4, single sim in TS4 is much more fun if you only have the base game. This is primarily due to the fact that the community lots and all that aren't rabbit holes unlike the TS3 base game. That being said, I only ever had Late Night EP on TS3 and boy can I tell you, you can juice out soooo much single sim gameplay from that one EP
    FFCOojX.gif
    edited August 2017
    As an avid single sim player on both TS3 and TS4, single sim in TS4 is much more fun if you only have the base game. This is primarily due to the fact that the community lots and all that aren't rabbit holes unlike the TS3 base game. That being said, I only ever had Late Night EP on TS3 and boy can I tell you, you can juice out soooo much single sim gameplay from that one EP
    Sims 4 basegame open community lots: museum, gym, library, park, swimming pool (I'm being generous here), bar.
    Sims 3 basegame open community lots: museum, gym, library, park, swimming pool, beach.
    So, not sure what you're talking about. Playing a single sim in Sims 4 basegame works better than valium I can assure you from personal experience.
    5JZ57S6.png