Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 has stopped working

Clearly a problem to many, but hardly ever for me. In the past, because recently it has happened several times. New ingredient is that I'm using mods and CC now, but I wonder if there also might be another reason (I'm playing in IP; I adjusted the world myself to take away the main problems but I do get errortraps every now and then). I took a screenshot of my Sims 3 folder, hoping someone can tell me what might be the issue.

TwOsom8.png

The Currentgame folder (that should be empty after closing the game) contains everything a savegame contains. I empty it before restarting of course. And I added the error codes in the TS3 folder I got. Does this explain what could cause this closing down of my game? It always happens quite fast after starting up the game.
5JZ57S6.png

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @igazor mod help thanks.

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    ErrorTrap will always be chatty and issue several logs per sim day and game session. Overwatch informs us of its overnight run, some of us get notifications on startup as well. The mods use the script error log system to notify the player of what they are doing, it's supposed to do this. Whether they are reporting on routine operations that are not really errors or warning of a more serious problem is impossible to tell without reading them or having someone read them for you and interpret.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Upload

Or, if you are more in the mood for a Do It Yourself Kit, http://nraas.wikispaces.com/ErrorTrap+Reading+Logs
    (note the section on "Not Really Errors")

The script logs will begin overwriting themselves, with the oldest ones going out first, after you accumulate around 12 of them. They do no harm by just being there, but you probably already know this.

The xcpt files on the right side are different, those are crash logs. Usually you can just get rid of those, they are mostly useless and will not overwrite or get deleted automatically. Unless you are trying to keep a diary of how often and when your game crashes. From what I can see, it happened once on 11 Aug, once on 31 Jul, and several times back on 7 July.

None of this tells us why your game is crashing yet. Maybe the script logs will reveal something. Or maybe you have already worked through whatever the problems is/was?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2017
    @igazor (and @phoebebebe13 for calling him :blush: ) Thanks :) I'll follow your links to see if I can find out something that way. Maybe collecting them somewhere isn't such a bad idea, indeed to get a picture of the frequency. The reason there's a whole month in between is because I was on holiday and didn't play by the way. What I've done so far is start a previous save and go from there, but this time after my game had crashed, I reopened the same save and then immediately sent her to Egypt (where I've had no crashes so far and like I said, when it happens it's always right away), but then it occurred to me that maybe the IP save could be the problem and I'll be stuck with it when I return after 8 days of exploring tombs, which I obviously don't want to lose ;) Which is why I wondered if it's indeed the save or something else.

What I did after the last crash - apart from emptying that Currentgame folder and cleaning the cache files which I always do - was emptying the screenshots folder and my saves folder (those were quite full). Is that indeed helpful or doesn't that make any difference? I'm also considering to throw out some CC to see if maybe I crossed a line there (because like I said I hardly ever had crashes in the past). I'm wondering by the way, before one crash I had taken a pregnant sim into CAS using MC and before the other I turned a tailless mermaid into a ghost that had died while diving with MC. Is it possible those actions corrupted something or was that purely concidence? Must say other than that MC has always worked flawless for me. When I took the ghost into CAS I noticed she showed no life state status there, just an empty white radiant. That's why I wondered if something maybe had gone wrong there.

I think my basic question here is, did someone ever figure out what the reason for this 'stopped working' business could be, or can it be many many reasons?
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 Your welcome. There are ways to check and get rid of bad cc http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/custom-content-cc/bad-cc

There can be other reasons for the game to crash. If your computer is overheating. Your computer does not meet requirements, bad cc, if the game runs out of memory. You should save frequently with this game. I have had my game crash when it snows heavily and I get that notice the sims has stopped working. @igazor did I leave anything out? It's early. Still drinking my coffee :p

I haven't played IP in a long time and I was on a different computer. I would constantly get error code 12 and 13. I had enough computer ram. That world kept giving me bad saves. It was when IP first came out and I had no idea how messed up that world is.
    edited August 2017
    On the ghost question, you do realize that MC CAS doesn't necessarily add/remove the appropriate occult state to sims when used that way? That has to be done with MC > (Sim) > Intermediate > Occult:Add (Remove) first. Otherwise I think you are just changing the sim's appearance. But maybe I am misunderstanding the real sequence of events there, I haven't much experience with in-game ghosts.

I've had some crash issues myself lately with pregnant sims in CAS, as well as when trying to adjust the naked outfit for a few sims. Another player has pointed out that switching off Compact View before editing these sims seems to help.

I've never seen any difference made from keeping the Screenshots folder empty although that one could have an impact on the Launcher, I just do so to help reduce clutter and to have a fighting chance at keeping them organized elsewhere (it's kind of a losing battle for me, though). On the saves, yes a large number of saves will add a small amount to the RAM that the game uses upon startup as the saved game selector has to work harder to display the thumbnails for each game save. Over a certain amount, we think it's around 50 saves, they will stop showing up as selectable games to load which tends to hurt players' feelings especially when it's the most recent saves that suddenly fail to show. I try to keep no more than 5-10 saves there and store the others elsewhere.

"Stopped Working" just means the game program has crashed for what could be any of the reasons mentioned.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thanks both :smiley:
    I don't think I have any bad CC in there. It's just NRaas mods and a few items I all got through MTS that were recommended by other simmers. As for the mermaid, I indeed changed her using MC > (Sim) > Intermediate > Occult:Add (Remove). When I wanted to continue that save it crashed, so next time I took her into MC CAS and that's when I discovered no life state showed up. I changed her into human while being in CAS... I hope this NPC sim isn't still the one causing the issue. Yes, I found out exactly through that jump scare kind of way the home menu stops showing latest saves when it's full :D

Anyway, thanks again! I think I'll just start playing the save that crashed last time, see if it happens again. And if it does, I won't continue Egypt but return to a previous save instead that doesn't give those issues yet. Meh :disappointed:
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 Your very welcome. Changing an NPC might have caused a game issue or routing issue of sorts. Try saving the sim to cas if you want to keep that sim and delete the original sim. See if that corrects the issue. Also delete your cashe package files.
    @phoebebebe13 If I can find her in time before the game crashes... My sim hasn't spoken to her so she's not in the relationship panel. By deleting you mean through MC?
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 can you go back to a prior save where you can locate her ? Maybe ask her to move in, save her to cas and delete the original it edit town. You would have to be able to locate her to remove her from the game
    Yes, I can return to a prior save (she wasn't that special by the way, I only changed her because a mermaid with two legs instead of a tail didn't make any sense down there ;)), but I'll just better leave her untouched then - a mermaid without a tail - and continue the game from there. It is possible of course she isn't the problem at all. I'm going to try that last save that crashed now, see what will happen...
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 The mermaids only have tails when in the water. When they are on land they have scaly legs. They look like colored panty hose or colored tights . Even if you don't want to save her in CAS I would try and go back to a prior save before you changed her. I have had issues before trying to change a supernatural to human in CAS. It can cause game glitches
    edited August 2017
    Yes, I know, but this mermaid appeared like this under water ;)

EucvBk1.jpg

I'd heard of that issue before, never had it myself yet though. She had all the behaviour and movements belonging to a mermaid, just with the legs (and MC confirmed she indeed was one). I haven't tested the game yet by the way (writing my story got into the way) but when that last IP keeps crashing I indeed will do that. Return to the save before she went for a dive and bumped into the mermaid.

p.s. @igazor Forgot to ask, what do you mean by 'switching off Compact View'. Is that a NRaas thing or something in the game?

edit:
    I just discovered something, she's an actual premade mermaid, along with Maya Ocean, Triton King and Salty Seaworth. I'm so used to meeting random townies that turned into mermaids that it had never occurred to me she was an official one. Then maybe my fooling around with her indeed may have been a problem.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited August 2017
    @JoAnne65 Sounds like she maybe glitched to begin with. If you can find her you can also try this. Just an experiment. Change her in cas to human then give her kelp and see if she gets her normal tail back. I had an issue with an NPC werewolf. I changed them to human in cas and messed this sim all up. I gave them a werewolf potion to give them back their supernatural state and my game went back to normal
    edited August 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    p.s. @igazor Forgot to ask, what do you mean by 'switching off Compact View'. Is that a NRaas thing or something in the game?
    That's a MasterController CAS setting. Many of us use it to collapse CAS entries into one square each instead of an entire row, with the (usually three) pre-configs still showing up in CASt. It virtually eliminates CAS category lag and is a huge reason to even have MC. But apparently the function can act up on preggo sims and those who are already naked when we invoke CAS or Stylist to make adjustments.

NRaas > MC > Settings > CAS > Show in Compact Form:Clothing > (T/F)

There isn't going to be much CAS category lag on pregnant sims unless you have an over-abundance of maternity clothes, so the impact of switching this off (if you use it at all) before going into CAS or Stylist on those should be minimal.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited August 2017
    @igazor Ah, thanks, I get it now, reminds me of the fact I was going to try that (I never use the presets anyway).

ETA: I've returned to the moment before she met the mermaid and went from there. No problems, we just arrived in Egypt again :blush: I really think messing with the mermaid has caused the issue. Anyway, thanks both for helping me :smiley:
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png