Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which EP should I buy?

plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
My Sims need a pool table for their pubs. They can't feel manly (or womanly) without one!

I looked at some EPs and saw that 3 EPs have pool tables: University, Showtime and Into the Future. I'm trying to decide which one to get.

I'm not into any of the careers in Showtime but the coffee shop looks neat.
My Team Galactic Sims would like Into the Future but you can't take pets. Can ItF have weather?
My Sims want to go to uni to get juiced skills they can't learn at high school :p Can any age Sims (above teen) go to uni? Can you take pets with you?

I'm a family player so I'd really like the EP that has the best family play in it.

Thanks in advance for advice :)

Comments

• pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    Out of those three, I would suggest University Life! Any sim aged YA and older can attend, but I'm afraid you'll have to leave your pets behind. I enjoy University when I'm not quite ready to send my newly aged sim straight into the work force and marriage :p I let them learn new skills, meet other sims, and just have fun doing whatever on campus! There are also coffee shops in University, as well as a comic book store. I personally think University Life is more family play oriented than Showtime or Into the Future :)
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    University Life is probably your best bet. I really like ITF for plumbots, but that EP definitively isn't everyone's cup of tea.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    @pandabear1836 and @Nikoa, thanks guys :) I'll cross Showtime off the list then. It's not that I think it looks bad or anything; it just doesn't seem to be the sort of EP that any of my Sims would fit with.

I think my Sims would like a comic book store :) Can you alter how long a Sim is at uni for? Do they go home for the hols? What happens to Sims at home while other Sims are at uni?
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    Sims can stay at university for 1 or 2 weeks, they stay during the weekend too and can't have home world visitors. Your home lot stays the way you left it until you return (just like it does in World Adventures.) You can adjust how many credits you will earn while there so you can have a light load and more free time or a heavy load and go less for your degree.

@Jessabeans, thanks :) That sounds good to me; I don't want my home Sims doing stuff while my uni Sims are away. When I'm playing rotationally, there is always that one Sim who gets divorced/chucks in their promising career! That's good that you can choose how much work to do at uni as well :)
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    The Boardwalk venue also comes with a billiards table.

I'm not sure whether ITF can have weather. I use NRaas Traveler and get weather at any world my sims travel too, including Oasis Landing and the WA destinations. I've never traveled to OL without that mod installed.

NRaas Traveler and NRaas Careers can be used to send teens to university if you like, but not younger sims. Normally any sim YA and older can attend. If you have Seasons installed there will be holidays, but sims at university don't go home or even have classes off those days.

Don't know about pets. I've had sims of all ages travel to and from Oasis Landing (again with NRaas Traveler) but I haven't played with Pets much so I don't know if bringing pets is possible with that mod.

You can put the UL social hangout venues in other worlds, or get smaller CC made equivalents. So with CC versions, or your own, you can easily put in a comic book shop, an arcade (with bowling, which kids can do), and a rebel hangout in a homeworld. I've been using UL venues from mysimrealty which are smaller and thus easier to add. UL also includes a snack bar which offers snacks, coffees, herbal teas, and energy drinks. I put those on many community lots so my sim have a source of food.

ITF has a lot of really useful items. The hover boards are fun, I usually give them to all the children. The dream pods have a lot of helpful dreams and is one of the better beds in the game, although it doesn't give the well-rested moodlet and bed assignments don't seem to work on it. The tub elevators require a 1x3 space to work, which makes them easy to squeeze into places. I use the food synthesizer at university dorms. I've never seen it catch fire and since the food never spoils the dormies tend to do a better job of keeping themselves fed. They also provide another way to get perfect quality meals without needing to master the cooking and gardening skills (your sim will have to master Advanced Technology and upgrade the food synthesizer to get quality meals).

I bought Showtime mainly for compatibility with CC worlds. I haven't used much of it apart from the dominoes table. If I can fit one on the lot I'll often have kids and teens play together to learn some logic and raise a little bit of relationship level with each other.

If you are looking for an EP which allows the greatest amount of family play (and I take that to mean a household with sims of all ages and pets) then Showtime is probably a good choice. I say that just because it includes a new homeworld, so no restrictions on family. Although I prefer UL and ITF, they aren't as supportive to that type of play, or at least require a break from it while you play those worlds.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Of the three I think University is closest to what you are after. Apart from pool your sims can play juice pong and there is the drinking fountain ...... If you are career minded the right kind of degree will help your sim get up the career ladder faster. Obviously the family play is limited while you are at uni, you can marry but not have children. On return to the home world you can carry on from where you left off so no aging etc takes place while you are away. You can also go as a group to uni, well the YA in the household can. I think the buy and build content is good as well. There are herbs to experiment with which can also enhance the cooking and gardening skills. There are social groups to belong to and the use of smart phones makes the game feel more modern. If you want a Let's Play to check it out I would suggest Quxxn or Andrew Arcade on YT.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    I would recommend university life as well. In addition to the pool table, you get the ping pong table, bowling and one of my favourite romantic interactions- the heat of the moment kiss. You also get two extra trait slots which...if you don't mind using cheats, with nrass debug enabler, you can give your sims either a degree or max a social group influence and unlock the extra trait slots.
    I regret some of my life choices.
    @TreyNutz, @Bettyboop55, @Teslachick2 and @Simasaurus09, thanks lots guys for your help and advice :)

I've had my eye on The Boardwalk for ages now but I haven't got enough Sim points for it. I'm temped to buy more Sim points too but I know they'd find their way onto the fancy greenhouse first ;)

I just found out that ITF can have seasons but not pets. I like the look of the hover boards and the plumbots (especially if you can make them sentient). LGR said that
    There is an ad for Sims 4 in the crashed spaceship in the desert! It's official, Sims 4 is set on a different planet to Sims 3!

I really am leaning towards University at the moment :) There are so many things for my Sims to play with: the football, kicky bag, ping pong table, bowling and new arcade machines. The new romance options look cute too.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    University Life is brilliant! It really does bring a lot to the game even for those, like me, who don't actually like sending their sims to uni.
    @Mikezumi, that's what's attracting me to it too; there seems to be so many new things for my Sims to play with :) It looks to be a really meaty Ep and I'll be able to add a lot of new, none rabbithole buildings to my towns.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited August 2017
    My wife has Supernatural, so I was planning to get that prior to my embarking on a ApocaLegacy...But then I changed my mind to Season in order to apply Nuclear Winter to my Sims ApocaLegacy and put the sims in my bunker through PLUM. :D This Creator is a sadist when it comes to Sims. :D "THOU SHALT NOT USE NUCLEAR WEAPONS!!! OR ELSE!!!"

University Life - the main reason why I want to get it is the same as you: POOL TABLES. Must have a pool table in the house. So I may look into that one after Seasons. And there are a lot of things to do and new actions. Such as "ranting" Just remember that ranting about death will get you on the bad side with Grim and it's a new way of dying. You will earn a moodlet that lasts for 12 hours and if you rant a second time about Death (while that moodlet is in effect) Grim will "off you" (I think that death is permanent; Grim may resurrect you if he's in a good mood. I also like the fact that there's a new town involved - the University Campus. New places to explore.

I also recommend LGR's game reviews on the Sims. His humor is dry, quick and hysterically funny. And he'll give you the lowdown on each expansion pack and what it offers and what's more. He's a die-hard simmer...essentially he's one of us.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    @Nikkei_Simmer, that sounds pleasant to me, I love winter xD Not sure about the nuclear side of it but I can enjoy the snow!

Grim kills you if you rant? Now to find townie Sims I don't like and make them rant >: )

I watched LGR's review of Uni and it's made me want it even more. There were an awful lot of Sims streaking :P

edited August 2017
    The option is to go as a family... ~evil grin~ (provided your Sim family isn't already at eight sims) bring the sims that you want to "end" and user control them to rant about Death.

0276f6de43c0a1c2bbaf79fda1469f00--jim-carrey-cover-photos.jpg

Yes, I'm a sadist when it comes to Sims. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    I don't have any family Sims I dislike enough to do that with :p Though I added a babysitter once and got mad with him after he lost at chess to Grim. They were playing for my Sim's life after she drowned. So I walled him in by the fireplace and set him on fire! He kept putting the fire out! If I still had him, he would totally be made to rant about death >: )
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Uni adds a slew of new ways to die. Death by ranting, apparently, death by Murphy Bed, death by vending machine... it's a virtual cornucopia of doom.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
    ...and that's why I want it. :D The Murphy bed and vending machine crushing deaths are particularly nasty. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Mind you, I haven't had a sim die from murphy bed yet. Although Crystal Waldron was REALLY trying to earn that distinction. Her bed fell on her a few hundred times, and trapped her inside it a couple dozen more times.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    University adds the most to the game, in my opinion. Love this EP.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I think you may choose University Life.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    @Faerie197 @Avatarit and @Jordan061102, thanks guys :)

Poor Sims :o I saw them banging into the vending machine in a LGR video and I was just waiting to see the vendo fall on them! I swear the poor things have more ways to die than I have pairs of socks :P

I saw a sim die while mine was at Uni when the 'juice' machine started spitting high velocity cans of juice at the sim. Made my sim turn around and walk away.
    Death by juice can! I think my Sims will avoid that machine too :p
  • Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Don't forget death by Murphy bed! Lost a legacy heir to that one lol
    I regret some of my life choices.