Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please Return The Detail List of Saves, Thank you

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited July 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I have lost all interest in playing my game due to the way you have changed the save option menu. Half the time there aren't any Sim faces on the saves. Yes, I understand how to use 'save as' been doing that since TS3. However, more than not this is messed up and I have many different games in my saves. It is making it impossible for me to find the correct ones. And half the time the wrong picture of Sim is on the wrong name as of late. Please, like MS Windows, in folder options, give us back the 'detail' list of date and time and name and remove these Sim icons. It's like swapping from detail in folder options to large icons...no, it's too confusing and annoying.

ETA: It's not just me, it's a lot of us who find this new setup annoying and bugged.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/918433/im-confused-i-think-i-messed-up-my-saves#latest

ETA: You guys should know better, you never change the UI mechanics after three years into a game. (People get condentioned and changing the UI is a deal breaker)
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I fully agree. To add, I like to give my saves different names to find them faster, however, it doesn't seem to be possible with this new list anymore, because it seems to switch back to the default "my save (some numbers)" all the time. I also liked the old list more.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    @Huiiie_07 Really? I'm able to give my saves different names. I use save as and type in whatever name I want. The default is there, but I put in the name I want.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    lasummerb wrote: »
    @Huiiie_07 Really? I'm able to give my saves different names. I use save as and type in whatever name I want. The default is there, but I put in the name I want.

That's all well and good for you, however, it's not very efficient for people who play ten different games and may have forty to fifty different dates and times on those saves per game. Understand? In a vertical 'detail list' as before it was easier to locate due to date and time. I tell you what, go into your folder options in windows and look at your own document lists, now change all that to gigantic large icons and tell me if that is more productive or makes it harder to find something you did last week? It's the same principle.

ETA: Clarity, it's the difference of scrolling downward to find a different named game as oppsosed to going horizonally flipping thru hundreds of Sim giant icons with mostly no faces in them anyway. It's annoying as all get out.

Example: Previous style/scrolling downward

DS109
    DS108
    DS107
    etc.

To this, hundreds of icons scrolling horizonally looking for Building10 (file named for different game for building only) thru hundreds of DS109, DS108 etc. with wrong icons and faces or none, too darn time consuming.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ArfaF52ArfaF52 Posts: 11 New Member
    they should change the save system back to the old one because the new one is malfunctioning, to me at least... it always overwrites the wrong file so i have to roll back my saves
    ArfaF52 wrote: »
    they should change the save system back to the old one because the new one is malfunctioning, to me at least... it always overwrites the wrong file so i have to roll back my saves

Exactly, this just happened to be big time this past Sat. and I'm pretty fed up with it.
  • PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

That's all well and good for you, however, it's not very efficient for people who play ten different games and may have forty to fifty different dates and times on those saves per game. Understand? In a vertical 'detail list' as before it was easier to locate due to date and time. I tell you what, go into your folder options in windows and look at your own document lists, now change all that to gigantic large icons and tell me if that is more productive or makes it harder to find something you did last week? It's the same principle.

ETA: Clarity, it's the difference of scrolling downward to find a different named game as oppsosed to going horizonally flipping thru hundreds of Sim giant icons with mostly no faces in them anyway. It's annoying as all get out.

DS109
    DS108
    DS107
    etc.

To this, hundreds of icons scrolling horizonally looking for Building10 (file named for different game for building only) thru hundreds of DS109, DS108 etc. with wrong icons and faces or none, too darn time consuming.

@Cinebar , I love the new icons because I am a visual person and it is easier for me (and I have well over 100 Save Games in TS4). <3 But I understand your frustration with old games not having an icon! :( I hated that too, but there IS a fix, albeit a tedious one! To fix it I had to go back and play/re-save every single save game and then I had a picture of each family. :) I only had one case where the pictures were swapped with another save game, and it was easily remedied! Also all of my saves are still in order of most recent saves at the top and oldest at the bottom. I don't know how they are showing up in your game or anyone else's, but for me I was able to fix all the icons and am now very happy! I hope you find a way to fix the issues you have! ;)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
    PugLove888 wrote: »

DS109
    DS108
    DS107
    etc.

@Cinebar , I love the new icons because I am a visual person and it is easier for me (and I have well over 100 Save Games in TS4). <3 But I understand your frustration with old games not having an icon! :( I hated that too, but there IS a fix, albeit a tedious one! To fix it I had to go back and play/re-save every single save game and then I had a picture of each family. :) I only had one case where the pictures were swapped with another save game, and it was easily remedied! Also all of my saves are still in order of most recent saves at the top and oldest at the bottom. I don't know how they are showing up in your game or anyone else's, but for me I was able to fix all the icons and am now very happy! I hope you find a way to fix the issues you have! ;)

I'm glad you haven't ran into this bug, but it is real. It happens this way, you write what you are going to call your game and the game somehow changes the name and overwrites a different one....I lost one whole game that way.

DS109
    DS108
    DS107
    etc.

I'm glad you haven't ran into this bug, but it is real. It happens this way, you write what you are going to call your game and the game somehow changes the name and overwrites a different one....I lost one whole game that way.

@Cinebar , no wonder you don't like the new system! :'( It is horrible to loose a game like that! :s
    So it sounds like there are 2 issues here, one being that they changed the system, and another being that there is a bug in the new system. While I love the new system, I hate the possibility that a bug can wipe out entire save-games! :o Regardless of the system they implement, there should never be such an error like a bug that erases your saves! :# I hope they fix this fast!
  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    Ever since they changed it my saves are screwed up all the time now. I don't dare go on older slots and do something that requires me to save it because I fear it'll be lost. I tried saving three new games all with different names and NONE showed up and instead the one I had before all of them had retained its name and was updated to the new day and time I last saved on a new slot. I have no more new slots. That one is the last one. I deleted older ones thinking it would help and it doesn't. I cannot go to that recover file thing because it just isn't there since nothing got deleted. Now I just have to hit save instead of save as and make a new slot. This is frustrating because if there's a problem and I need to go back to a previous save, that save will take me so very far back in the game. Just dumb. They had no reason to update or fix the save slots. I just hope it's not fubar.
    Yeah, the horrible bugs with it, and the fact older saves don't have any icon which in a huge save file like mine that can be many and is very time consuming to scroll through them when I could (in the past) easily find them vertically, in a list instead of having to mouse over bland icons and find their names. The whole system sux in my opinion.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Personally I really like the new save system. Obviously if there is a bug causing problems then that needs fixing but in terms of the actual layout I prefer it this way. I could never remember what my games were previously and often had to load them in order to remember them, whereas now I can just look at the picture.
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    Personally I really like the new save system. Obviously if there is a bug causing problems then that needs fixing but in terms of the actual layout I prefer it this way. I could never remember what my games were previously and often had to load them in order to remember them, whereas now I can just look at the picture.

It doesn't help me too much as I only play with two characters so all my icons are of the same two XD But properly naming files is what gets me through finding them. So simple pffft....naming "wedding" or "bowling" well, yeah, I don't need a picture to tell me what those consist of. Doesn't matter anyway since the entire thing is screwed up. We could have the best of both worlds, but now we have none.
    @Cinebar I have now had a case of one of my Savegame files disappearing. :'( It was a was the 2nd Pancakes family that Maxis made when Toddlers were introduced. I named the file Pancakes 2.0 but when I went back later to play them they were gone. I was able to recover the file, but it was an earlier save version so I lost a lot of progress. Not a huge problem, but troublesome because this can happen to households where I have progressed further than I did with the Pancakes family! :#
    The only other problem is that I might name a household's file something like "Newcrest O'Brien" or "Enemy Siblings" but the game overwrites the files' names with the generic "Save Game 26" or "Save Game 139" , etc. This is an annoyance that shouldn't happen, but is no where near as problematic as the game file itself being completely overwritten or deleted! :/

It has been suggested on the EA site forums by another player that "For me it seems as if the "Save" option overwrites the save that was created last no matter which save you're currently playing in. I've had the same issue before and I've tried without any mods but it doesn't make any difference for me."
    I think they are correct. Hope this info helps! ;)
    @Cinebar I have now had a case of one of my Savegame files disappearing. :'( It was a was the 2nd Pancakes family that Maxis made when Toddlers were introduced. I named the file Pancakes 2.0 but when I went back later to play them they were gone. I was able to recover the file, but it was an earlier save version so I lost a lot of progress. Not a huge problem, but troublesome because this can happen to households where I have progressed further than I did with the Pancakes family! :#
    The only other problem is that I might name a household's file something like "Newcrest O'Brien" or "Enemy Siblings" but the game overwrites the files' names with the generic "Save Game 26" or "Save Game 139" , etc. This is an annoyance that shouldn't happen, but is no where near as problematic as the game file itself being completely overwritten or deleted! :/

It has been suggested on the EA site forums by another player that "For me it seems as if the "Save" option overwrites the save that was created last no matter which save you're currently playing in. I've had the same issue before and I've tried without any mods but it doesn't make any difference for me."
    I think they are correct. Hope this info helps! ;)

Thanks, yes this has happened to me, too. Then add upon that if the game should do that to three or four different games inside the save files each with their own different names and sub folder saves, the horizional look of things can be way too time consuming let alone the game naming some saves (even if a totally different game) My Save 55 etc. It can make a player just scream.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited August 2017
    I like the new save system especially the family photo and time details. My only issue is how saves appear in our computer files and how they don't match with what we name them in game.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I find the new system very unintuitive and clunky.

I always do save_as. With the old system I just clicked the save slot I wanted my save to go into and it preserved the slot name (for example "Windenburg2"). Nowadays I have to type in the desired name at every single save_as. Annoying.

Another issue is that I keep around ten to twelve savefiles all the time. Three of these are for my rotational save, the rest are challenges and legacies. Anyway, whenever I load my game I stare at on average 40 colorful sims and must orientate myself in this mess. It isn't helped by the fact that the game chooses the family last played to represent a given save. So if that is a relatively minor family I sometimes have no idea what save they are to represent, at least not at first glance. A list of names (Windenburgbay, Windenburg1, Windenburg2, StarWars, Legacy, Story, SettlerChallenge, ...) leaves no room for guessing or need for interpretation. It tells you what is what in under one second.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I wouldn't mind the new UI if it included save names as well as the picture. I have over 200 saves, and as a builder, I could care less about which family most of my saves are under; it's all about the build's name in terms of getting to what I want. Now, I have to hover over each save to try to figure out what it actually is.

Also, I have lost two older saves now by using "Save As" to attempt to create a new save. Instead of creating a new save, the game seemingly randomly overwrote one of my older saves and retains the older save's name on the new save file. Pretty scary and means I won't be using "Save As" until it gets fixed. Note that I didn't do anything weird in my save as steps, such as canceling or anything.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the new UI if it included save names as well as the picture. I have over 200 saves, and as a builder, I could care less about which family most of my saves are under; it's all about the build's name in terms of getting to what I want. Now, I have to hover over each save to try to figure out what it actually is.

Also, I have lost two older saves now by using "Save As" to attempt to create a new save. Instead of creating a new save, the game seemingly randomly overwrote one of my older saves and retains the older save's name on the new save file. Pretty scary and means I won't be using "Save As" until it gets fixed. Note that I didn't do anything weird in my save as steps, such as canceling or anything.

@BryonyRae , I have the opposite approach from you... because I don't build hardly at all in TS4, I mostly have my saves as different families so it matters less to me what I name a household -- it matters more which Sims are in that household! LOL But there are exceptions to this (like I have a few families that have multiple save files due to testing purposes). But I totally agree with you that the saves should be displayed with both a picture and text, because this would accommodate both systems for both types of players! :)

Unfortunately, all of this is a moot point since the main problem is the overwriting of previous saves without our permission! :s:'(
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    What would be ideal, imo, is something like...

Your saves get automatically put into "albums," relevant to the unique game id (assuming there is one). Then you can click on an "album" thumbnail to open it and it'll have all your saves attached to that game in it.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    edited August 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    What would be ideal, imo, is something like...

Your saves get automatically put into "albums," relevant to the unique game id (assuming there is one). Then you can click on an "album" thumbnail to open it and it'll have all your saves attached to that game in it.

That would certainly cut down on how many Icons I have to go through to find a particular game. I don't think they realized people have more than one game in their games. I don't mean just saves, I play four entirely different games, and having those in their own folders then with their own sub saves inside them would clean it up a lot, on the face of things, but that still won't fix the bug of the game overwriting a different game or save.
  • CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    samlyt22 wrote: »

I really like the new system after I got use to it. I have around 10 different saves and it helps me find the one I want in a lot shorter period of time.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    It just worries me when I click on the game I started and want to resave that it asks me "are you sure"? Why? Is their "Save" on top better?
    I would like it if it worked :P It doesn't work, it constantly overwrites anything I make as a new file, it's really useless. I'm scared to make a new save because it won't work. I have made so many new ones with new names and all it does is write over previous one named "stop renaming" Pfft....lousy system. Kudos to those of y'all who don't have this problem.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Hm. I'm only piping in here because this topic got me curious. I literally have not played my game for several months. May 6th was the last time I played. I saved my last game with a name that no longer exists. I went through my folders and pulled the files out by date to bring me to the last game I played, and I wound up with 4 different saves in my game.

They are listed as: My Saved Game 4... 5... 6... 7 in game.

Interesting. I only had one save for the last sim I played on that date. But today I have 3 saves with his icon, plus 1 with an icon of a sim I hadn't played for ages. All in my files as being edited on the same date in my file folder outside of the game.

I don't know if I'm making sense. What I'm trying to say is long before this update, I had one save that is now 3 with different names and different times. I also have one save I never played on that date that shows up as if I played it on that date. All this is what shows in game. Something is definitely wrong. I'm not inclined to test this out further as it is rather obnoxious from a database point of view. It's also untrustworthy.

EDIT: I have no idea why they did this. There was nothing wrong with the old system. If it ain't broke; don't fix it! So much for me wanting to give this game another chance if I can't even tell where I left off.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Hm. I'm only piping in here because this topic got me curious. I literally have not played my game for several months. May 6th was the last time I played. I saved my last game with a name that no longer exists. I went through my folders and pulled the files out by date to bring me to the last game I played, and I wound up with 4 different saves in my game.

They are listed as: My Saved Game 4... 5... 6... 7 in game.

Interesting. I only had one save for the last sim I played on that date. But today I have 3 saves with his icon, plus 1 with an icon of a sim I hadn't played for ages. All in my files as being edited on the same date in my file folder outside of the game.

I don't know if I'm making sense. What I'm trying to say is long before this update, I had one save that is now 3 with different names and different times. I also have one save I never played on that date that shows up as if I played it on that date. All this is what shows in game. Something is definitely wrong. I'm not inclined to test this out further as it is rather obnoxious from a database point of view. It's also untrustworthy.

EDIT: I have no idea why they did this. There was nothing wrong with the old system. If it ain't broke; don't fix it! So much for me wanting to give this game another chance if I can't even tell where I left off.

This happened to me. I had not played the Stoddard household the one day but next time I loaded my game it said they were the last family I played with the icon over their house to continue with them. I had actually played in a different game for building. It's getting to be a bigger mess every day.