Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I will never buy The Sims 4

ChrisDadoskyChrisDadosky Posts: 39 Member
I've played The Sims 3 for a while, I've always thought it was a good game but it alone is the reason I will never buy another Sims game again.

There's one very simple reason- bugs. I hate to say this, but bugs that have not been fixed have repeatedly ruined my save files too many times, and it's made me lose a lot of faith in future Sims games. 2/3 times I play a game, a game-breaking bug that hasn't been patched occurs and destroys everything. That's a big loss and it has drained my faith in the Sims dev team for the last time.

I play a Sim who has children, raises them to adulthood, they get jobs and get promoted before moving out. Later on, those Sims (my Sim's children) become corrupted and permanently invisible due to a career outfit glitch.

I play a Sim who tries to live in the future, build his Science skill and gains cool new objects. Glitch that hasn't been patched causes those objects (that I can only receive one time or are rare and/or expensive) to disappear if I try to place them outside of inventory, and copying the family and deleting the original doesn't help.

I would be okay with small bugs going unfixed, but the fact that game-breaking bugs have been left unfixed has made me lose a lot of confidence in EA's dev team. It is unacceptable to ignore problems that destroy a save file, especially in a game that's based on making progress.

I really do hate to say this but those are the reasons I have grown to be dissatisfied with The Sims 3 and will never buy another Sims game again. The game started out beautifully, but so much content was added without being properly fixed in due time that it's become nearly impossible to play the game without encountering some horribly damaging glitch. This was never a problem in past Sims games and it shouldn't be a problem in present or future Sims games.

Honestly I think The Sims 3 is a good game but some of the problems that have been left unfixed are too ridiculous to ignore, and they compel me to not buy future Sims games. If The Sims 3 has unresolved glitches that are destroying save files and families that I worked hard on, how am I supposed to believe that it won't happen in The Sims 4, or any Sims game after?

I'm sorry to say this EA/Sim devs, believe me, but it's very unlikely at this point that I'll ever buy a Sims game again. I think you all are great people with a lot of ambition, but I've had too many game-breaking problems with The Sims 3 to recommend it or any future Sims games to anyone, at least until I can play a family without having to worry about glitches that will never be fixed ruining my game.

I'll still play The Sims 3 from time to time but I think The Sims 2 and Sims games from before will be my main Sims games from now on. I've never lost a save in any Sims game before The Sims 3.

I sincerely hope you don't take what I've said the wrong way, and understand that I simply can't buy or recommend future Sims games in good confidence anymore. I always thought I would be a lifelong fan and customer of Sims games, but I guess I was wrong.

Sorry.

EDIT: Can someone move this to General Discussion? I posted it in the wrong category again.
Post edited by ChrisDadosky on

Comments

• cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    This reminds me of how recently my parents' xbox bugged out and my mom thought she was going to lose 5+ years of all her games (and she is a major completionist) and she was like genuinely 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and about to cry and I looked at her and said "And HOW many times has sims glitched or bugged out and I've lost everything? HOW many reinstalls have I done in the last 16 years? Yeah I cry but then I make new sims!" :D

I think no matter what issues sims has I have invested 3/4 of my life so far on it and they'd have to REALLY 🐸🐸🐸🐸 up for me to not keep buying and playing.
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    I agree, sims 3 is a great game but it is also high maintenance. When you encounter those bugs you should look for a solution instead of giving up on it. I've had the invisible sims and inventory items being invisible. Invisible sims can be solved by making them change outfit, you can make them take a shower. The invisible items will reappear after you switch into buy mode and back to live.

S3 I find, takes a more initiated player to solve all its problems (that the devs annoyingly didn't). I recommend the nraas overwatch and error trap mods, they've helped me a lot. If you have future problems I'm sure the players here will be happy to help. I hope you can find it to play S3 again, because as you said it's a great game :).
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • clue1234floclue1234flo Posts: 59 Member
    I know this has happened to me several times. After spending so much time and energy on a save file, the whole game gets corrupted. I recently was able to save my game file after a sim had become corrupted but now I'm wary of everything my sims do to avoid it happening again. I enjoy the sims 3 more than any other sims game, however, I get frustrated with it very quickly now.
  • skybakerskybaker Posts: 214 Member
    Can't agree more.
    As the announcement of EA for the last patch of Sims 3, "This is not recommend to play with All EPs/SPs at the same time." I don't think a responsible game developer would say that after the players bought their products.
    AqWKHoo.jpg
    skybaker wrote: »
    Can't agree more.
    As the announcement of EA for the last patch of Sims 3, "This is not recommend to play with All EPs/SPs at the same time." I don't think a responsible game developer would say that after the players bought their products.

Right? Is it not the whole purpose of EPs and SPs to purchase ALL of them even if you dont use all the content from all of them because we are sims junkies and slaves to EA? :D
  • Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    Have you tried out the NRAAS mods like overwatch and errortrap? My games used to crash really often after +/- 3 generations, sims would get stuck or simply disappear out of town, a lot of gamebreaking 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that u talk about. These two mods have fixed all of this for me and also took away huge amounts of lag.

I agree with you that EA doesnt deserve your money though. The fact that we need mods made by a third party to stop the game from literally breaking down when played for multiple generations is outrageous and EA made a HUGE mistake disbanding the sims 3 team because of the sims 4. It's like you said there is still a ton that needs fixing and patching and sims 3 and 4 arent even remotely similar so you cant just tell people who play sims 3 to move onto the next game. Sims 4 at the moment isnt even worth the money they ask for it either. So yeah I agree don't spend money on EA, which has won the 'award' for being the most 🐸🐸🐸🐸 moneygrabbing corrupt and unfriendly gaming publishing company in the world multiple years in a row already.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I've been playing this game vanilla for about four years and with mods (halleluja) for almost three now. Bugs are a pain in this game, but never ever have they spoiled my experience. Just make sure to always save as (I number the files) and make sure you've got your sims somewhere in a safe place on your computer. I'm playing the 21st generation of my family at the moment (not in one save of course), which means I've managed to keep that family safe and alive since May 2010. I have way too little bugs to let it get to me the way it apparently gets to you.

@skybaker As for that warning: I play with all EP's and SP's installed without a problem.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LRo85LRo85 Posts: 4 New Member
    On my older laptop, I could not play with all EPs and SPs, but on this newer one, which has probably the minimum that newer ones of its kind have in terms of hardware, it runs pretty well. I keep Pets turned off for now, they bug me lately. The problem with turning certain things off, is you lose objects, jobs, and more even if you turn it back on again.
    I am having a bit of a bug with a character going invisible in his work outfit, but if I have him change, he comes back.
    I don't use any mods or CC.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I've played The Sims 3 for a while, I've always thought it was a good game but it alone is the reason I will never buy another Sims game again.

There's one very simple reason- bugs. ...
    This was the very reason I decided to wait to buy Sims 4 when it first came out. I was not going to spend my money on another EA game that they never bothered to fix their bugs and glitches. I was going to wait to see how bug infested it was. I'm glad I did because that gave me a chance to see the art/graphic style of Sims 4 (which I don't like) and to hear about the many shortcomings of the game (no CASt and not open world being the game breakers for me). So thanks to EA's policy of not cleaning up their problems with Sims 3 I didn't waste my money on Sims 4.

Thankfully there are third party mods that fix most of the Sims 3 glitches, bugs and annoying "features". Hurray for modders. :)
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I'm in agreement with so many of you. I will not buy Sims4 because of EA/Maxis poor choices made in not fixing the glaring issues in Sims 3. I still love Sims3 and still play Sims3, because of those lovely modders, but, I will no longer support that company with Sims4 version or mobile. I don't play mobile games and Sims4 has too many issues, bugs and glitches in addition to the other things I outright don't like in it including: lack of CAS and build, loading screens, cartoony art style with plastic lego helmet hair, blurry graphics, strange color tones, goofy grins and walks that are not the least endearing to me, bizarro teleportation of sims, real immersive right?, time factor is just strange, not being able to control all my sims all the time, closed world, tied to internet and origin, loading screens...did I already say it....worth saying again.:) lack of toddlers, guess I can cross that one off my list, but still doesn't make the game playable for me. :lol: Will there be a sims5? I am almost to the point of "I don't care".
    @bekkasan I totally can relate to you concerning the I don't care bit. They seem to be choosing directions I don't care for at all and I fear it's EA policy, not restricted to Sims 4. And apparently it's selling, so there is no reason for them to change it. It's a quick sell with little investment on their part. They totally seem to cater teens now and I'm not a teen. I simply don't feel like part of their targetgroup anymore.
    5JZ57S6.png
    If only some other developer would pick up sims 3 where they left off and improve it into an amazing enhanced and well performing version of it. But im guessing EA would sue anything that even resembles the sims remotely or whatever..
    I still vote give EA all your money and buy it anyways :p my dad informed me ts4 will be out for xbox one and even though I only ever turn my xbox on when my bf stays the night, and I only play ts4 on my computer once every few months, i still most likely will buy it because it is a sims game therefor I must spend money.
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    If only some other developer would pick up sims 3 where they left off and improve it into an amazing enhanced and well performing version of it. But im guessing EA would sue anything that even resembles the sims remotely or whatever..
    Yes, exactly. It's beyond me why all kind of different football games can exist together and not life simulation games. Nobody cares anymore they messed up SimCity, ever since Cities Skylines was released.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Yes, exactly. It's beyond me why all kind of different football games can exist together and not life simulation games. Nobody cares anymore they messed up SimCity, ever since Cities Skylines was released.

Yeah the same goes for Planet Coaster, also not from the original company that made Rollercoaster Tycoon and nobody complained about that everyone was happy that finally there was a great new themepark game that could match up with today's possibilities. Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon were both huge franchises as well, but I guess because Sims is still in the making, people are too scared to compete with it? I dunno. If any game developer took a look at this forum they should know that there's a huge opportunity here to create something for all those sims 3 fans that got abandoned when EA decided to take its current Sims 4 route.

Yeah the same goes for Planet Coaster, also not from the original company that made Rollercoaster Tycoon and nobody complained about that everyone was happy that finally there was a great new themepark game that could match up with today's possibilities. Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon were both huge franchises as well, but I guess because Sims is still in the making, people are too scared to compete with it? I dunno. If any game developer took a look at this forum they should know that there's a huge opportunity here to create something for all those sims 3 fans that got abandoned when EA decided to take its current Sims 4 route.
    My secret hope is they are reading and following and are busy now developing that new game :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    I highly doubt the reason for why there is a lack of life simulation games such as The Sims is because other game companies are 'scared'. Remember that a game about life 'seems' like a niche market and not really profitable which Will Wright/Maxis proved the skeptics wrong. I feel like most game companies are not interested in developing this kind of simulation. Thus EA gains the advantage because of the monopoly. However, not much of an advantage when they treat long time supporters of the franchise the way they do nor continuously ruin one of the best PC games in history.

The Sims franchise was a gold mine and look what they did to it.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I suspect that it isn't worth it for another gaming company to give a Sims-type game a try because it might not be profitable to make a game for an already saturated niche market.
    edited July 2017
    Niche market? You guys must live in a different world than I do because literally every single person I know has played the sims either in the past or recently, even people who aren't gamers at all in general. Sims was by far the most popular game around here during my entire childhood. It's still popular enough that you can easily find physical copies of the sims 3 at stores that sell games, displayed on prominent spots. I even still see sims 2 games sometimes. There's a reason why EA is able to sell an 8 year old game for 40 euros still. In my experience sims is one of the most succesful games ever created. Hardcore gamers might not play it as much, but that group is wayyy smaller than the general 'casual' public, or simply every teen or kid out there with a computer.

Of course I never looked at statistics but I highly doubt that my personal surroundings (and Ive lived in 2 places in the Netherlands, belgium and even Seoul) are the exception compared to everyone else
    edited July 2017
    I do have a feeling the 'real' gamers do sort of look down on The Sims (I have one living in my house ahem). It's considered a game for kids and women? But &@#*%grrrr so what, why wouldn't women be a serious target group? We are when companies want to sell shoes and clothes and perfume, but not when they want to sell games. I'd so love it when a company would take this amazing open ended sandbox idea and start creating it for grownups. Oh, ETA, and with an equal focus on males in the game, girls do like boys you know, we don't only want to dress up girls.

Son: "I thought maybe Skyrim could be something for you but neh, too much fighting."
    Yes, you're darn well right there, fighting, I find it so boring... :disappointed:
    5JZ57S6.png
    Niche market? You guys must live in a different world than I do because literally every single person I know has played the sims either in the past or recently, even people who aren't gamers at all in general. Sims was by far the most popular game around here during my entire childhood. It's still popular enough that you can easily find physical copies of the sims 3 at stores that sell games, displayed on prominent spots. I even still see sims 2 games sometimes. There's a reason why EA is able to sell an 8 year old game for 40 euros still. In my experience sims is one of the most succesful games ever created. Hardcore gamers might not play it as much, but that group is wayyy smaller than the general 'casual' public, or simply every teen or kid out there with a computer.

Of course I never looked at statistics but I highly doubt that my personal surroundings (and Ive lived in 2 places in the Netherlands, belgium and even Seoul) are the exception compared to everyone else

I know very few people who have played the sims but I wouldn't base it off that in any case. Although I have known a lot of people in my life, the number would not be sufficient to provide any meaningful results. I don't doubt the popularity of the sims varies from place to place or country to country. I also know that in previous years Sims sales have given other big games a run for their money but I don't think this has been so for a while now.

Of course, I am an old woman so what would I know? ;)
    @JoAnne65 I would so love for it to happen but I am not holding my breath! I have even said in other threads that even if EA were to come out with a TS5 I wouldn't go near it preferring to wait for another company to give a life simulation game a shot. And I would definitely be all over a life simulation game targeted at a mature audience.
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I do have a feeling the 'real' gamers do sort of look down on The Sims (I have one living in my house ahem). It's considered a game for kids and women? But &@#*%grrrr so what, why wouldn't women be a serious target group? We are when companies want to sell shoes and clothes and perfume, but not when they want to sell games. I'd so love it when a company would take this amazing open ended sandbox idea and start creating it for grownups. Oh, ETA, and with an equal focus on males in the game, girls do like boys you know, we don't only want to dress up girls.

Son: "I thought maybe Skyrim could be something for you but neh, too much fighting."
    Yes, you're darn well right there, fighting, I find it so boring... :disappointed:

Me too. You don't want to know how often my brother - stereotype nerd with a superpower PC and tons of semi-realistic playstation games - asks me why I 'still' play that sims game. 'I like it' is usually my answer.

He tried to let me play some other, free games, but those things really sucked. I'm not too allergic to fighting and action but from experience I know any game with difficult levels I can't get through anyway because of some weird reason is wasted money anyway.

Mikezumi wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 I would so love for it to happen but I am not holding my breath! I have even said in other threads that even if EA were to come out with a TS5 I wouldn't go near it preferring to wait for another company to give a life simulation game a shot. And I would definitely be all over a life simulation game targeted at a mature audience.
    To be honest my hopes aren't on EA in this respect either. And I even think it could be quite healthy in fact when a different company with a fresh look on things would take over. When I see how amazing they can make games (unfortunately with gameplay I don't care about), it must be possible.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 So true! I watch over my son's shoulder as he plays different games and what can be done these days amazes me! Fresh eyes and fresh ideas from another company would happen in my idea of a perfect world :)