Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will it be good with GTX 1080 for the sims 3?

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
Hi I'm about to get a new computer, I would love to get gtx 1080 for my pc but I'm worried about the graphics card is too new to run the sims 3. Wouldn't have any problem with this card? One of my family is working for computer, so I have no problem to match all specs but he doesn't play the sims at all. So I just want to ask here before purchasing it.

One more, will the UI get more smaller if I get a 27 inch 4k monitor? My eye vision is pretty poor, so I won't be able to read in the sims 3 if the UI or popup messages get smaller.
Post edited by Jeansoo on

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    A GTX 1080 would very much be overkill for TS3 but it should work the same as any graphics card that is newer than the game is. That is, it won't be recognized by default and it will need its fps rate limited as TS3 does not have a built-in frame rate limiter and the newer cards will run wild on it otherwise. But after some initial adjustments like that, it should work just fine.

On the 4k, I believe the UI does shrink and this is not adjustable. Perhaps someone else here has a screenshot to show what it looks like to them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    Hi I'm about to get a new computer, I would love to get gtx 1080 for my pc but I'm worried about the graphics card is too new to run the sims 3. Wouldn't have any problem with this card? One of my family is working for computer, so I have no problem to match all specs but he doesn't play the sims at all. So I just want to ask here before purchasing it.

One more, will the UI get more smaller if I get a 27 inch 4k monitor? My eye vision is pretty poor, so I won't be able to read in the sims 3 if the UI or popup messages get smaller.

Do it!!!!! You'll love it :love:
    I recently built a new PC and, per chesterbigbird's great advice, chose the MSI GTX 1080TI. Its paired with a 144hz G-sync capable 2560 x 1440 monitor. It all works perfectly running TS3, I haven't had a single issue or disappointment. I honestly could not be more impressed with the performance I'm getting! And for TS3 I'd suggest getting an SSD drive, it makes a huge difference in loading times with this game.

The one thing to be aware of is FPS. TS3 has no native FPS cap, and this is a powerful GPU that can create an FPS count in the hundreds, especially with older games. Such excessive numbers can, and will, quickly tear the GPU to pieces. So make certain to use an FPS Limiter. I'm using MSI Afterburner which comes with the RivaTuner app.

With TS3 in particular, I've settled on a profile of 99fps capped. I have G-sync enabled globally. No stutter, lag, or tearing. TS3 also ran perfectly at 144fps, my monitor's native refresh rate. With high temps coming on here I decided to play with the settings and see if I could find a balance between fps & gpu temps. I've been having 90F+ (52/53C) temps in my area this week. Running the fps @ 99 I'm getting an avg. gpu temp of 54C, even after 6 hours of constant gameplay. Running at 144fps increased the gpu temps to about 60C. I find it to be a good trade-off, butter smooth visuals and lower temps!

Unfortunately, the higher the resolution the smaller the UI gets, that's just how it goes. To my knowledge no one has managed to mod the game's UIs for custom scaling. Pity, My eyes ain't so good anymore either!
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited July 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    A GTX 1080 would very much be overkill for TS3 but it should work the same as any graphics card that is newer than the game is. That is, it won't be recognized by default and it will need its fps rate limited as TS3 does not have a built-in frame rate limiter and the newer cards will run wild on it otherwise. But after some initial adjustments like that, it should work just fine.

On the 4k, I believe the UI does shrink and this is not adjustable. Perhaps someone else here has a screenshot to show what it looks like to them.

Does overkill means not recommended for the sims3? Ahh FPS limiter I heard that. How about GTX 970 then? Which one will be better for TS3 and TS4? In case of Retina system, UI shrinks too but people say the letters are more clearer to read. I played the sims 3 on Retina Macbook Pro for some days, the font size looked like sands on beach to my eyes. The resolution was about 5k. I had to change it to I mac with no retina support. But I want the better graphics though.
    edited July 2017
    By overkill I meant these cards have more power than a 2009 game like TS3 could possibly use. It's excess, not that it would be harmful to the game in any way. For performance, I doubt many would be able to tell the difference between a GTX 970 and a GTX 1080 on TS3. The game can only use 800 MB of video memory for example, the rest is just extra after a certain point. For other purposes and more modern games, of course the 1080 is going to be much stronger, its throughput will be higher/faster, etc.

But perhaps @Dusty_Boots has seen benefits even on TS3 that we mere mortals with our 2011 era cards and less than spiffy monitors by gamers' standards don't really know about. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited July 2017

I recently built a new PC and, per chesterbigbird's great advice, chose the MSI GTX 1080TI. Its paired with a 144hz G-sync capable 2560 x 1440 monitor. It all works perfectly running TS3, I haven't had a single issue or disappointment. I honestly could not be more impressed with the performance I'm getting! And for TS3 I'd suggest getting an SSD drive, it makes a huge difference in loading times with this game.

The one thing to be aware of is FPS. TS3 has no native FPS cap, and this is a powerful GPU that can create an FPS count in the hundreds, especially with older games. Such excessive numbers can, and will, quickly tear the GPU to pieces. So make certain to use an FPS Limiter. I'm using MSI Afterburner which comes with the RivaTuner app.

With TS3 in particular, I've settled on a profile of 99fps capped. I have G-sync enabled globally. No stutter, lag, or tearing. TS3 also ran perfectly at 144fps, my monitor's native refresh rate. With high temps coming on here I decided to play with the settings and see if I could find a balance between fps & gpu temps. I've been having 90F+ (52/53C) temps in my area this week. Running the fps @ 99 I'm getting an avg. gpu temp of 54C, even after 6 hours of constant gameplay. Running at 144fps increased the gpu temps to about 60C. I find it to be a good trade-off, butter smooth visuals and lower temps!

Unfortunately, the higher the resolution the smaller the UI gets, that's just how it goes. To my knowledge no one has managed to mod the game's UIs for custom scaling. Pity, My eyes ain't so good anymore either!

Yes anyway I'm going to get SSD as well. I'd like to get one has great cooling system inside of computer. I noticed my imac gets warm very easy and make lots of noise. Thanks for the great spec and FPS limiter recommendation.:)

Is there any 27 inches monitor supports 2560 1440 resolution without 4k? My imac has this resolution now. I want to keep this resolution too. But it's just mac, not pc. I want to change to PC from Mac. Thanks for long advice! :)
    edited July 2017
    By overkill I meant these cards have more power than a 2009 game like TS3 could possibly use. It's excess, not that it would be harmful to the game in any way. For performance, I doubt many would be able to tell the difference between a GTX 970 and a GTX 1080 on TS3. The game can only use 800 MB of video memory for example, the rest is just extra after a certain point. For other purposes and more modern games, of course the 1080 is going to be much stronger, its throughput will be higher/faster, etc.

But perhaps @Dusty_Boots has seen benefits even on TS3 that we mere mortals with our 2011 era cards and less than spiffy monitors by gamers' standards don't really know about. ;)

Yes now I fully understood what you mean. Thanks very much for the great help! :D It was new to me that TS3 uses only 800 mbs of video memory.

haha! I do tend to enthuse about this new pc. I was on a 2008 build before, so its been a pretty exciting upgrade for me. But, agreed - if someone only plays TS3/4 then yep, a 1080 is overkill. I play all kinds of games, old to modern. So I future-proofed as best I could and I tend to forget that some people buid for strictly current needs

It may be wishful thinking but... I'm kinda prone to getting headaches if I stare at a monitor for hours. Its a common enough complaint. I do believe the higher refresh rate has helped a great deal.
    @Jeansoo
    Before my mouth outruns my knowledge, I'll page some real experts who can offer solid help to you:
    2 Resident PC geniuses: @chesterbigbird @Simasaurus09
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Does overkill means not recommended for the sims3? Ahh FPS limiter I heard that. How about GTX 970 then? Which one will be better for TS3 and TS4? In case of Retina system, UI shrinks too but people say the letters are more clearer to read. I played the sims 3 on Retina Macbook Pro for some days, the font size looked like sands on beach to my eyes. The resolution was about 5k. I had to change it to I mac with no retina support. But I want the better graphics though.

the 1080 card is way too powerful and expensive if your just playing sims games

GTX 960, GTX 970, GTX 1050 ti or GTX 1060 would be fine for both sims games. These cards will run the game in 1080 p resolution, not 4k. These games were not designed to run in 4k . The higher the resolution the smaller the font or wording will be.

I play on an Evga 960 superclock card and it runs the whole game just fine

Yes anyway I'm going to get SSD as well. I'd like to get one has great cooling system inside of computer. I noticed my imac gets warm very easy and make lots of noise. Thanks for the great spec and FPS limiter recommendation.:)

Is there any 27 inches monitor supports 2560 1440 resolution without 4k? My imac has this resolution now. I want to keep this resolution too. But it's just mac, not pc. I want to change to PC from Mac. Thanks for long advice! :)

If your wanting to run 2k you will need a 1070 or 1080 card.

The higher the resolution , the stronger the video card you will need.

again if it's just the sims your playing they were not designed to run higher than 1080p.
    edited July 2017

again if it's just the sims your playing they were not designed to run higher than 1080p.

What's 'p' in 1080p? Otherwise, I understand all. I just want to get the better one than my current computer. I can't carry this imac because I need a new one in another country in a month. Would you recommend the good spec for the sims 3 and 4? My current spec is i7 3770, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 680MX without Retina. Max resolution is 2560 1440. Now I'm playing only sims but if I have a chance, then I wanna try other games too. :)

What's 'p' in 1080p? Otherwise, I understand all. I just want to get the better one than my current computer. I can't carry this imac because I need a new one in another country in a month. Would you recommend the good spec for the sims 3 and 4? My current spec is i7 3770, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 680MX without Retina. Max resolution is 2560 1440. Now I'm playing only sims but if I have a chance, then I wanna try other games too. :)

1080p resolution is what the sims 3 and 4 was designed to run in. 2k is higher than 1080p. 4k is even higher. There is no singles video card on the market that can run 4k. if running 2k monitor you need a 1070, 1080 or 1080 ti card. You can not change the UI on the sims 3 and I hear it is difficult to change the UI on the sims 4. The higher the resolution you try to play these games, the harder it will be to read the text. I play in 1080p

If your going to play some very demanding games in 2k go for a 1080 or a 1080 ti
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    GTX 1070 is the perfect card for 2K res. The UI in Sims 3 will get tiny once you go above 1080p. I can read and click on things just fine playing Sims 3 & Sims 4 in 2K res (a little small) but anything higher gets really tiny. Do you have any other games in mind? I went with a GTX 1070 to save on cash and as it stands, I can still play demanding titles on max settings. If you really want to "future proof" and you have the cash to spare, the GTX 1080ti is a beast but very much overkill just for sims.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I love my 1060 lol (which for that matter runs games far more demanding than TS3 and TS4 just fine :)). If I were you, I'd really only pay for the 1080 (which I find not to be that cheap atm) if you play other (graphically far more demanding) games, because for TS3 it's really not necessary. I know it appears to make sense to go with the most expensive / the newest / etc. but it's best to go with things that suit your needs. Which this one of course may, although tbh, a 1060 & especially a 1070 should do the trick as well for a lot, if not most, games right now :D
    Before my mouth outruns my knowledge, I'll page some real experts who can offer solid help to you:
    2 Resident PC geniuses: chesterbigbird Simasaurus09
    @phoebebebe13 - You know, it was supposed to read like this:
    2 Resident PC geniuses: chesterbigbird Simasaurus09
    1 Resident PC/Laptop/Deal genius: phoebebebebe

*sigh* I dunno why but the auto-fill for the usernames kept giving me Simasaurus09 no matter what I typed after @ . I must've erased the second line in confusion before I posted. In any case I'm sure glad you jumped in! Between you three and igazor there's not much you can't respond to. You folks are quite a valuable resource.

just not my day, now I'm seeing this: Invalid CSRF token. Please try again :unamused:
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited July 2017
    @Jeansoo
    Firstly the game does not need a GTX 1080, And if you have poor eyesight then do not get 4K, The sims 3 is not really a game that is going to benefit much from higher resolutions, The game is older so no amount of power or tweaking is going to make the graphics be a WOW factor. The only thing that will happen is you will get a smaller UI which is a no no for someone with poorer eyesight.
    Do you play any other games at all? I could understand you wanting a GTX 1080 and 1440P resolution for other games.. just not the sims.
    There are plenty of 27 inch 2560 1440 monitors on the market, And you would want to pair that with a GTX 1070 for the sims or a GTX 1080 for more demanding games.
    Your i7 3770 and 16GB of ram is all good to go for a GTX 1070 or higher, However you will need to check your power supply, Need a good 550 watt or more power supply preferably Gold rated.
    My advice just for simming, A GTX 1070 and a 1440P monitor (or a good 1080p monitor and a GTX 1060)
    For a 1440p monitor.. cannot go past this
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236452&cm_re=2560x1440-_-24-236-452-_-Product
    Post edited by chesterbigbird on
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

1080p resolution is what the sims 3 and 4 was designed to run in. 2k is higher than 1080p. 4k is even higher. There is no singles video card on the market that can run 4k. if running 2k monitor you need a 1070, 1080 or 1080 ti card. You can not change the UI on the sims 3 and I hear it is difficult to change the UI on the sims 4. The higher the resolution you try to play these games, the harder it will be to read the text. I play in 1080p

If your going to play some very demanding games in 2k go for a 1080 or a 1080 ti

ahhh ok Thanks very much for good tip. B) I had a look about 1080p in wiki and now understand all. Thanks.

GTX 1070 is the perfect card for 2K res. The UI in Sims 3 will get tiny once you go above 1080p. I can read and click on things just fine playing Sims 3 & Sims 4 in 2K res (a little small) but anything higher gets really tiny. Do you have any other games in mind? I went with a GTX 1070 to save on cash and as it stands, I can still play demanding titles on max settings. If you really want to "future proof" and you have the cash to spare, the GTX 1080ti is a beast but very much overkill just for sims.

Not sure yet but one of my family is a game lover. I want the better one in case he might recommend other games. :) Yes I experienced that on the macbook pro with Retina. UI and all text alerts looked like sands on a beach. Thanks, I can go for 1070 but if I can get more money for spending towards a new computer, then I will consider 1080Ti. Thank you.

edited July 2017
    @Jeansoo
    Firstly the game does not need a GTX 1080, And if you have poor eyesight then do not get 4K, The sims 3 is not really a game that is going to benefit much from higher resolutions, The game is older so no amount of power or tweaking is going to make the graphics be a WOW factor. The only thing that will happen is you will get a smaller UI which is a no no for someone with poorer eyesight.
    Do you play any other games at all? I could understand you wanting a GTX 1080 and 1440P resolution for other games.. just not the sims.
    There are plenty of 27 inch 2560 1440 monitors on the market, And you would want to pair that with a GTX 1070 for the sims or a GTX 1080 for more demanding games.
    Your i7 3770 and 16GB of ram is all good to go for a GTX 1070 or higher, However you will need to check your power supply, Need a good 550 watt or more power supply preferably Gold rated.
    My advice just for simming, A GTX 1070 and a 1440P monitor (or a good 1080p monitor and a GTX 1060)
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236452&cm_re=2560x1440-_-24-236-452-_-Product

Yes I know the current spec is still good with the sims 3 and 4. The problem is that my imac is 4 years old as I remember, and I need to move to other country very soon. I'm not going to carry my computer. I'd like to get a new one in a new place. I haven't seen any option I can choose a power supply in apple page. I just got the imac they offer. I can choose only, flash drive or HDD, Ram, CPU range..I think it was all and apple care option. I guess imac doesn't have much capacity for air inside monitor, also I run the sims 3 on Bootcamp in Imac which mac cooling system doesn't work properly. I don't use mac os very often, so I wanna go for PC this time. :) It's more noisy with sims 4. Thank you. I can get gtx 1070 with 1080p monitor. :)
    iMacs have never been customizable like that (he says as he types to you from one running Bootcamp). They were Apple's original foray into the all-in-one type of desktop product, or at least their first wildly successful one. On some of the iMac models now we can't even upgrade the RAM as the components are all fused together inside, so what you get configured at purchase is pretty much it. It's the Mac Pros that are more flexible, but now we're talking many thousands of simoleons more for not much benefit (other than OS X of course) unless you are doing strictly intensive graphics and motion picture type work rather than simming. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    iMacs have never been customizable like that (he says as he types to you from one running Bootcamp). They were Apple's original foray into the all-in-one type of desktop product, or at least their first wildly successful one. On some of the iMac models now we can't even upgrade the RAM as the components are all fused together inside, so what you get configured at purchase is pretty much it. It's the Mac Pros that are more flexible, but now we're talking many thousands of simoleons more for not much benefit (other than OS X of course) unless you are doing strictly intensive graphics and motion picture type work rather than simming. :)

Yes you're right. And I realized I prefer PC for sims this time. :) Never boot onto mac os unless for updating.

@Jeansoo

Yes I know the current spec is still good with the sims 3 and 4. The problem is that my imac is 4 years old as I remember, and I need to move to other country very soon. I'm not going to carry my computer. I'd like to get a new one in a new place. I haven't seen any option I can choose a power supply in apple page. I just got the imac they offer. I can choose only, flash drive or HDD, Ram, CPU range..I think it was all and apple care option. I guess imac doesn't have much capacity for air inside monitor, also I run the sims 3 on Bootcamp in Imac which mac cooling system doesn't work properly. I don't use mac os very often, so I wanna go for PC this time. :) It's more noisy with sims 4. Thank you. I can get gtx 1070 with 1080p monitor. :)

So your getting another pc and not mac? Lol im getting confused because i come into the thread late after other replies. If your buying another pc we can help you choose something. I'm not experienced at all with macs as i have only ever had windows pc.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited July 2017
    @Jeansoo

So your getting another pc and not mac? Lol im getting confused because i come into the thread late after other replies. If your buying another pc we can help you choose something. I'm not experienced at all with macs as i have only ever had windows pc.

I'm going to give my imac to my mother in law, and want to get a new pc after moving. :) I realized I'm not using mac osx often. I've been playing ts3 and 4 on Windows 8 of Bootcamp on my imac. So I want to change to pc from mac after moving.:)

edited July 2017
    @Jeansoo

I'm going to give my imac to my mother in law, and want to get a new pc after moving. :) I realized I'm not using mac osx often. I've been playing ts3 and 4 on Windows 8 of Bootcamp on my imac. So I want to change to pc from mac after moving.:)

Ah ok. :)
    In that case the specs i recommend,
    Intel core i5 7600k
    16GB ram
    500GB SSD
    1TB 7200rpm HDD
    Nvidia GTX 1060 or 1070
    500 watt + gold rated power supply.
    Good case for cooling and good cpu cooling.
    So essentially a custom pc that you can customize to the specs above.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

@Jeansoo

Intel core i5 7600k
    16GB ram
    500GB SSD
    1TB 7200rpm HDD
    Nvidia GTX 1060 or 1070

Is op still going for higher resolution than 1080p? If they are going 2k they need a better video card
    @Jeansoo

Intel core i5 7600k
    16GB ram
    500GB SSD
    1TB 7200rpm HDD
    Nvidia GTX 1060 or 1070

Great thanks for good advice but will all Eps and Sps be running smoothly with no lag in full graphic option? Sorry for the late reply.