Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A clever way to get players to buy laundry without the uproar.

I've got a theory, that it's a demon...a dancing demon ...

I feel there is something very shady happening with this "Create a pack", like it was one big set up for laundry to win, and therefore giving EA the excuse to charge people for laundry as a separate pack. Imagine, if EA released a "laundry stuff pack" without this poll, everyone would be angry/annoyed about being charge for a feature that is an expansion pack sub-feature at best but now we were given a choice, we are happy to pay the money. Now, lets take a look at the shady happenings.

Part 1 - The vote.
During the initial vote, we were given 5 themes to rank (the ranking part is important for part 3), all the themes had features with them that matched the theme, except one, Eco Living which had laundry tack on the end of it, no relation to the actual theme. Why Eco Living? Surely starter stuff pack would be more fitting, well Eco Living themes are usually quite popular on these forums, so giving it laundry a bigger chance of success, add to that the ranking, evening if Eco Living wasn't everyones number 1 choice, it would surely be high up their compared to the others.

Part 2 - The build/buy vote
Eco living had just won, we hadn't voted on the key feature of the stuff pack yet, and now we are voting for the build/buy items for this pack, but wait a minute, what's this ... laundry stuff? Laundry hadn't won the vote so why is there so much laundry based stuff for us to vote for? There wasn't any thing relating to Canning or Off the Grid living, so why laundry stuff? It's like they expected it to win.

Part 3 - The Gameplay object vote.
During the first vote, we got to rank our themes, but for the game play object, we could only select the one we liked the most, why is this? Surely ranking them would give EA the more accurate results for which gameplay object is wanted the most. But, EA knew, they knew laundry had become a huge divide and that if given the choice, a lot of players would have put it last to spite the people who wanted it so badly, so the only safe way, was to give us a 1 choice vote.

Part 4 - Laundry was already popular
Out of all the choices given to use for this stuff pack, laundry was the only one people were begging for on the forums, making it an obvious win. It would be like giving us a new age group vote before toddlers were added, and having toddlers as a choice, no matter the other age group choices, toddlers would have one because it's an old feature that people want back in the game.

Now that's the end to this theory. On to the next mystery.

Yours sincerely,

Jessica Fletcher
gorgeous.jpg

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Good theory. But I don't think there would be an uproar even if they were to make a laundry pack without this whole poll thing cuz they know a lot of people want it. And these people should know that laundry was a thing you had to pay in the previous game.
    :D

Either way, I can see there's an even bigger uproar with this creation process cuz there are a lot of people who want the other features.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    lol :D
    I'm going to be honest I would have been angrier if laundry had been in anything but and sp because then I would have had to skip out on more content to avoid it.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Can't say it didn't work hahaha Had laundry been a common SP it'd be just a "no, thanks" for me, now it's a "maybe on sale" due to some eco themed objects.

I think they never believed laundry to sell well by itself.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
    Can't say it didn't work hahaha Had laundry been a common SP it'd be just a "no, thanks" for me, now it's a "maybe on sale" due to some eco themed objects.

Really with what I have seen I would have been surprised if it didn't sell well, I thought it was kinda like vampires, some people hate it but their is enough of a base out there that love them that it would be worth it.
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    Keffers wrote: »

I feel there is something very shady happening with this "Create a pack", like it was one big set up for laundry to win, and therefore giving EA the excuse to charge people for laundry as a separate pack. Imagine, if EA released a "laundry stuff pack" without this poll, everyone would be angry/annoyed about being charge for a feature that is an expansion pack sub-feature at best but now we were given a choice, we are happy to pay the money. Now, lets take a look at the shady happenings.

Part 1 - The vote.
    During the initial vote, we were given 5 themes to rank (the ranking part is important for part 3), all the themes had features with them that matched the theme, except one, Eco Living which had laundry tack on the end of it, no relation to the actual theme. Why Eco Living? Surely starter stuff pack would be more fitting, well Eco Living themes are usually quite popular on these forums, so giving it laundry a bigger chance of success, add to that the ranking, evening if Eco Living wasn't everyones number 1 choice, it would surely be high up their compared to the others.

Eco living had just won, we hadn't voted on the key feature of the stuff pack yet, and now we are voting for the build/buy items for this pack, but wait a minute, what's this ... laundry stuff? Laundry hadn't won the vote so why is there so much laundry based stuff for us to vote for? There wasn't any thing relating to Canning or Off the Grid living, so why laundry stuff? It's like they expected it to win.

During the first vote, we got to rank our themes, but for the game play object, we could only select the one we liked the most, why is this? Surely ranking them would give EA the more accurate results for which gameplay object is wanted the most. But, EA knew, they knew laundry had become a huge divide and that if given the choice, a lot of players would have put it last to spite the people who wanted it so badly, so the only safe way, was to give us a 1 choice vote.

Out of all the choices given to use for this stuff pack, laundry was the only one people were begging for on the forums, making it an obvious win. It would be like giving us a new age group vote before toddlers were added, and having toddlers as a choice, no matter the other age group choices, toddlers would have one because it's an old feature that people want back in the game.

Yours sincerely,

Jessica Fletcher
    gorgeous.jpg

I will be happy to pay $10 for laundry. I would even be happy to pay $10 for more (at least 3) neighborhoods like the one they patched in the game already, but with a desert area, a forest area, and a city area.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Lol if anyone "set this up" it was the posters on this forum and twitter. I think Graham couldn't help but notice there would be riots if he didn't add laundry to the game soon. Maybe the other members of his team kept voting laundry down and he knew the only way we could have it was to sneak it in as one of the options the players would be allowed to vote on rather than the internal team.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Really with what I have seen I would have been surprised if it didn't sell well, I thought it was kinda like vampires, some people hate it but their is enough of a base out there that love them that it would be worth it.

Ikr, but when we check that even with the fan base asking and Graham wishing to do it, instead of just making it they had to submit it to a series of votes to see whether people would pick it and not even putting laundry as a theme by itself as happened with wedding but merging it with eco themed objects. Like, there's clearly some lack of faith on the subject here hahaha
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    Keffers wrote: »

Part 1 - The vote.

Yours sincerely,

Jessica Fletcher
    gorgeous.jpg

You actually missed one of the votes. The style vote, which goes between the theme vote and the build/buy/cas vote. In the style vote both concepts were of a laundry/mud room. (I lump these two room types together because, in America at least, most houses have the laundry room in the mud room.) This only further proves that this whole create-a-pack event was a ploy to trick people into making a laundry stuff pack without any potential major complaints from players who think there are better things that should be added before laundry.

And I agree with what you said, taking a popular theme and combining it with another popular theme was a sure fire way to ensure that laundry would win.

I stated this on another discussion and I'll say it again; I don't understand why they bothered calling this an eco pack when it was obvious from the start that this was always going to be a laundry pack.

I want laundry in the game, but not this way.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Why does there have to be a conspiracy? If EA wanted laundry in the game, they could just put it in. SP or no SP. They don't have to trick the players to do it.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Why does there have to be a conspiracy? If EA wanted laundry in the game, they could just put it in. SP or no SP. They don't have to trick the players to do it.

THIS! lool I just said this in another post. Why would ea need to trick people lol theyd just make the pack. Less complaining and people will still buy it.
    Cheekybits wrote: »

THIS! lool I just said this in another post. Why would ea need to trick people lol theyd just make the pack. Less complaining and people will still buy it.

I think this was largely a joke.