The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could we get a dev update about 'Key Art' and the marketing process?

So if you know me at all then you'll know that I've been making my own Sims 4 renders lately and it's something that really interests me, and I'd be extremely excited to peak behind the curtain and see how the official renders are conceptualised, designed, and rendered.

When I asked a while back if it'd be possible for the community to be involved in the creation of the official Sims that would appear on the cover render, I was told:
..."Key art" - what we call the cover art and various renders that you see released as part of our marketing material, is a really important component for our marketing team. It's a process where we get the ball rolling internally, and then work with external partners to find the right look that captures the essence of the pack, and helps the product stand out - with consideration to the various international markets that we sell The Sims in. Ultimately, the way we manage that process just didn't translate well to having the community vote on different options for us to proceed with...

So although we can't be involved in the creation process, I thought maybe we could still witness how it all works. I know this sort of thing isn't exciting to everyone, but I for one would be so interested in how they design the official Sims, choose their composition, what programs they use to create the render, just the whole marketing process would be fascinating to have a look at.

So my question to you @SimGuruGraham is, would it be possible to get a dev update where you show us at least some of the marketing process? I'd be so happy if you did! :blush:

Comments

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Sounds exciting indeed ! :)
  • rp_girlrp_girl Posts: 103 Member
    edited July 2017
    Ooh I would love that,I plan to one day become a 3D animator and be part of a design team for games so I'd love to learn a little more about what goes on behind the scenes.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    rp_girl wrote: »
    Ooh I would love that,I plan to one day become a 3D animator and be part of a design team for games so I'd love to learn a little more about what goes on behind the scenes.

Yeah try to find out who EA outsource to and try to get a job with them!
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
    Hey @keylimepiesims - I'd be happy to share more about this process later on in the project. This isn't something our marketing team has even started looking at yet, so there's really nothing to show yet. Fall would be a more likely time frame for having updates in this area.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Hey @keylimepiesims - I'd be happy to share more about this process later on in the project. This isn't something our marketing team has even started looking at yet, so there's really nothing to show yet. Fall would be a more likely time frame for having updates in this area.

Yay thank you!! I look forward to it.