Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• peatockpeatock Posts: 139 Member
    @Asaoyoru ooooh, good question. it's something i honestly don't consider at all! :sweat_smile: i'm so busy chasing sims around that that sort of detail work is probably beyond me. (thinking on legacies i've read, i haven't seen it addressed much among them either!) that said, if you wanted to do it, i think a #BuildNewcrest challenge would be a great opportunity for that, since building is sort of half the battle? :) it'd be a cool way to tell background stories for sure!
    0Ims83x.png
    The Velasco Legacy: Generation Six on wordpress & on the forums!
  • AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    @peatock I'm glad you think that! My story actually IS a Build Newcrest challenge, so illustrating it via building was the logical consequence for me :joy:
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @Asaoyoru I actually think about that often, and it really bothers me :joy: Like, in A2A it's already been literally about 100 years since Alex came to Windenburg (not to mention another like 90 years since D2D began!) and somehow in the past 200 years nothing has changed :lol: It really bothers me, and yet there is nothing I can do about it :bawling:

I love your building idea as a way to show the passage of time!
    snvAF3B.png
  • msbeckycatmsbeckycat Posts: 3,445 Member
    Thinking of switching blogging sites. What's your choice to use?
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    After the Wedding has a new chapter-- S3 Ch10: One Last Thought
    (the chapter title really has no significance other than being one of my favorite lines from "Ten Things One Thing," a deleted song from Hamilton)
  • PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member
    @msbeckycat - I use Blogger/Blogspot, as I have a Gmail account and Blogger came along with it as a freebie. Wordpress is the most popular option, though, and it has a wider variety of themes and features available. I've seen a few Tumblrs, too, but personally I find Tumblr is better for brief posts than longer ones.
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @Asaoyoru This bothers me a lot, too! I really like the idea of the history challenge, although that has its own issues, too, haha! I have a save where they don't use electricity (we're pretending the fridge is ice cooled). I'm playing it on long lifespan and the couple has many children so we're not ready to move on yet. I suppose I'll get to historic changes as they happen. OR I could just use my own fantasy world where it's the years 1500-1800 and things are stagnant. :tongue:

I completed my legacy in the same year Sims 4 first came out so there were a lot of game mechanics that changed as the generations progressed. To be fair, I was blogging it rather than storytelling. However, I continued the family into my Build Newcrest where it is more story-like so they've mentioned things more as an inside joke for simmers.
    "Back in the days before ghosts you just DIED."
    "Whatever did we do in the eternal summer before pools?"
    "Our city FINALLY allows basements to be built now. Permits take forever to get, though."

I think I've brought up the squinty eye bug, too. Like a genetic anomaly that was passed down from the start. It's more fun for me and the readers, though.

You've really got to either embrace the non-realism of the game or feign ignorance, lol. :)
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
    That amazing/terrifying moment when you realize one of your Sims is aware of the camera constantly following them (I don't have a problem with it, I just wasn't expecting it so early on in my legacy).
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    Asaoyoru wrote: »
    I just realized something ... how do you usually deal with logical irregularities during writing a legacy? I mean, you have 10 generations, which is quite a bit of time that passes in years ... but somehow the technology and everything else doesn't really advance further. How do you show the passing of time between your generations? Do you do that? Or do you more or less take the path of "Well it's a fictional universe, the society doesn't look different even when you advance 50 or 500 years."?

I've been thinking of showing the passing of time during background-shots. I wanted to place a half-finished building in one of my shots which takes years to be completed and slowly show how it gets finished by the end of Generation 3. But I would be interested in how you deal with that topic!

I tend to go the "it's a fictional universe" route. Like @Meggles I tend to write in changes to the game as "society changes", that my Sims may or may not understand. (Since I am a sort of character in my story as well as a disembodied voice, I end up having to explain a lot to them.)
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • EiraRoseEiraRose Posts: 203 Member
    edited July 2017
    @Asaoyoru that's a really good question, and I think it depends on the world. My collaboration partner and I write in the same world and we answered it based on the "country." Some counties are stuck in older technologies and some are more advanced, I also tend to start my stories in a slightly older time with magic to help cover some inconsistencies.
    It is a great question though.

@msbeckycat if you're looking to change up I highly recommend blogger. I use it for all my stuff and it's so convenient plus you get free, unlimited picture hosting through Google. So worth it. Someone asked me to put up a guide on how to use blogger, it's incomplete, but maybe it can help you if you decide to use blogger. http://www.pancakesandmadmen.com/2017/03/lets-talk-blogs-introduction.html?
    Post edited by EiraRose on
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    That amazing/terrifying moment when you realize one of your Sims is aware of the camera constantly following them (I don't have a problem with it, I just wasn't expecting it so early on in my legacy).

It's so crazy, isn't it? I'm often like, "Yeah. I don't see you." I just don't always want to be distracted from having the camera-aware Sim staring RIGHT through me! :)

Then, I give in and start talking to him or her. :/
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I just realized something ... how do you usually deal with logical irregularities during writing a legacy? I mean, you have 10 generations, which is quite a bit of time that passes in years ... but somehow the technology and everything else doesn't really advance further. How do you show the passing of time between your generations? Do you do that? Or do you more or less take the path of "Well it's a fictional universe, the society doesn't look different even when you advance 50 or 500 years."?

I've been thinking of showing the passing of time during background-shots. I wanted to place a half-finished building in one of my shots which takes years to be completed and slowly show how it gets finished by the end of Generation 3. But I would be interested in how you deal with that topic!

I tended to really focus on little changes... like in fashion, preferences, and temperament. Like in some generations, costume parties were all the rage! Some generations really went for hats. It was my way to think about trends. And then, I made a big deal in Gen 5 by thinking about how "Wow... we're cooking on the same stove that my great-great-great-great grandma used...."

And by Gen 9, the kids thought back on the long line of ancestors who did their homework AT THAT EXACT table! :o
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i thought ayden and elsa hated each other but they just have a strained relationship. anthony and his wife who i nicknamed yum because i can't spell it.hate each other he tried to kiss her and she shoved him.
    jes guess what adriens son jabari just went pffffffffffffffffffftttttt in my game. so i had to tell you.
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    jes guess what adriens son jabari just went pffffffffffffffffffftttttt in my game. so i had to tell you.

Good boy.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    Jes2G wrote: »

Good boy.

i knew it was a jes thing but i didn't know it was a game thing til today.
  • ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member

Hahaha, I asked a few people this question like a month ago. There's not much you can do, really. You can start by having everyone use the older computer/tvs (which is kinda what I am doing) and then as the generations progress you can start to bring in the more expensive technology items (flat screens, nicer computers) and towards the end us some of the crazy sci-fi type stuff they have for computers. Even so, that isn't enough technology to cover the hundreds of years it would be from gen 1 to gen 10, but it was the only thing I could come up with.

Honestly, I don't think most readers really care or notice (I've been writing and reading legacies for YEARS and I didn't think about it til last month :joy: ), but CC and mods exist that will let you do bigger gaps in technology.
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    Hello! Good timezones, everyone! Hope you guys are having a nice time, whatever you are! :) I was planning on releasing the first chapter of the second season of my story yesterday, but decided it was better to write few chapters, so I have more chapters in stock, in case I'm not able to write much...and I think Is nicier to wait a little before releasing season two, then making a hiatus after like, two chapters, Just a coment...Oh! And I was thinking in doing one of those ''social questions'' that are story-related later. :)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member

@Asaoyoru I wondered that too. Excellent question. I've been working on my timeline. It helps I set my Sims stories in another star system with its own rules and logic. I talked a little bit about advances in technology and some of the historical events in my extra pages about my Simworld and then a little if it flows well in the narrative. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what "events" would need to happen to set off a "chain" reaction of future events I want to write. I do think this is an interesting thing to discuss though, so I'm curious about other answers.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited July 2017
    apparently I will be having Canadian Thanksgiving in China this year...leaving on the October 8th and not coming back to I think the 21-22?
    6adMCGP.gif
    CathyTea wrote: »

It's so crazy, isn't it? I'm often like, "Yeah. I don't see you." I just don't always want to be distracted from having the camera-aware Sim staring RIGHT through me! :)

Then, I give in and start talking to him or her. :/

I find it really cool, as it feels like a fourth-wall-break of sorts, but it's beginning to freak me out a little bit. At least that makes him easier to write.
  • Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    Hey everyone!

I haven't been on here much lately. I work in the animal field so June-Sept is usually crazy busy so I come home dead =(

I am however currently writing chapter three and I'm almost done :smiley:
    THIRTYT(2).png
    Acarb90 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I haven't been on here much lately. I work in the animal field so June-Sept is usually crazy busy so I come home dead =(

I am however currently writing chapter three and I'm almost done :smiley:

dead people can't type. sorry you set me up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top