Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is City Living EP Still Buggy?

I did try posting this in the Expansions topic, but it seemed like it was pretty dead atm. I hope it's okay if I post it here! :)

Is City Living still bugged and glitchy (I don't have it, but I've heard there were problems with it)? If so, what are the glitches/bugs, and how are they affecting gameplay? Is the bug/name priority issue where a massive amount of townies are either Asian (I believe it was Asian) or have Asian names still around? I've heard some players commenting about that.

Thanks in advance!
Origin ID: graple2001
I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif

Comments

• CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    I don't know about other players
    But my game still generates the same Asian and Arabic (?) names and my game has serious lag whenever I go to the art center. San Myshuno is where I experience the most lagging
    But for the most part it's fine for me.
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    Townies being given Asian names is definitely a thing still (least in my game). Doesn't matter who, what, when, where, or why; they WILL receive the last name Watanabe and probably the first name Mizuki.
    6riwm5.png
  • IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member
    edited July 2017

@CupcakeWitch @littlemissgogo Are the names drop-dead excessive or are they diluted enough with other names to feel natural? Every townie being Asian or Arabic feels like overkill. Id be okay with a ton of Sims having the same exact name though. Sounds like that could be fun, lmao.

Edit: Didn't mean to include a quote, lol.
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member

@CupcakeWitch @littlemissgogo Are the names drop-dead excessive or are they diluted enough with other names to feel natural? Every townie being Asian or Arabic feels like overkill. Id be okay with a ton of Sims having the same exact name though. Sounds like that could be fun, lmao.

Edit: Didn't mean to include a quote, lol.

They're not all the same race, least not for me. So it's just a lot of random folks with very similar or the same names. They're not ALL the same but if you interact with the townies enough, you'll definitely notice some overlap. It doesn't bug me too much, mostly just silly.
    6riwm5.png
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    for me it's arab names, but yes that's still around. :/
    another glitch i believe is festivals not going away and overlapping each other (but i haven't seen this yet)
    and of course, lag when you live in apartments. personally, my game doesn't lag, but the fps is definitely lower than when i play in houses.
    + here is what my 'not in world' household menu looks like right now so you can see the townie issue for yourself:
    tumblr_osfudvUO3H1ullq0lo1_1280.png
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    In my game, my active sims like the basketball hoop too much on free will, and it even cancels user actions, which is annoying. Another related one is that if the basketball action is queued while they're sitting, they'll sink to the ground with a splashing sound to change into their gym clothes. If it gets too bad, I put the hoop in the inventory
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    apart from the names, speed 3 is essentially not functional in San Myshuno
    so whether that matters to your gameplay or not is how i'd make my decision
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited July 2017
    for me it's arab names, but yes that's still around. :/
    another glitch i believe is festivals not going away and overlapping each other (but i haven't seen this yet)
    and of course, lag when you live in apartments. personally, my game doesn't lag, but the fps is definitely lower than when i play in houses.
    + here is what my 'not in world' household menu looks like right now so you can see the townie issue for yourself:
    tumblr_osfudvUO3H1ullq0lo1_1280.png

@allisonchurch Ahh, thank you for posting a pic. It doesn't look too bad. Besides, If I ever got thrown off by race/name mismatches then I could just change their names real quick in CAS.

@icmnfrsh Omg, that's amazing and horrible at the same time.

@CyrusTheLoser I'm actually not planning on playing in SM too much. I'm looking for a wider assortment of objects/CAS items to use while doing noCC builds, the singing skill + other jobs, and visiting SM lots occasionally. I figure if I can find it for cheaper it's more worth it than purchasing a Game Pack, which would add less for relatively the same price.

@littlemissgogo (Tagging you so you get a notification)

Would you guys say CL was worth what you paid for it?

Edit: Typo

At full price, no, but with a half off sale or something, I'd say yes!

HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • JaypardJaypard Posts: 623 Member

What do you mean? Speed 3 works just fine for me in San Myshuno.
    I did also notice a lot of Arabic/Asian townies in the city, though it never really bothered me, honestly I kinda just now realised it because of this thread.

Would you guys say CL was worth what you payed for it?

Yep totally, I think all three expansion packs are must haves, the game would feel really bland currently without GT and CL. I would prioritise getting both expansion packs over any game pack, excepted maybe Parenthood which was a big game changer for me. You can get CL for 22 USD currently on G2A, I've bought on there before and it's trustworthy.

edited July 2017

At full price, no, but with a half off sale or something, I'd say yes!
    Sweet, thanks!

Jaypard wrote: »

I did also notice a lot of Arabic/Asian townies in the city, though it never really bothered me, honestly I kinda just now realised it because of this thread.

Would you guys say CL was worth what you payed for it?

Yep totally, I think all three expansion packs are must haves, the game would feel really bland currently without GT and CL. I would prioritise getting both expansion packs over any game pack, excepted maybe Parenthood which was a big game changer for me. You can get CL for 22 USD currently on G2A, I've bought on there before and it's trustworthy.

I've got GTW + GT (got during the recent origin sale,) and I've got all game packs besides Spa Day (I believe,) so my game has been pretty great even without the inclusion of CL. Doesn't mean I'm satisfied though, lmao. I think I saw one for about the same price on GAME, so I'm going to see what I can do about buying it. Thank you for your input!

Edit: It wasn't GAME, it was cdkeys. They have if for $23, give or take a few cents.
    edited July 2017
    Jaypard wrote: »

I'm happy that it's working for you, but it doesn't for me and plenty of other people. It sometimes works properly and other times slows down to the point you might as well be on speed 2 or 1. Then, if there's a festival or something during the day it'll slow down and you can't pass the time quickly while the sims are working and whatnot.

On top of that the whole issue of the time going back on itself is made worse when playing on san myshuno, as well as when using speed 3, so the combination of both has very dissatisfying results (and this is an issue confirmed by staff)
    Regarding simulation lag and gameplay slowdowns:

These are definitely issues my QA team is aware of and has reproduced and filed reports on. The lag is more a symptom of an issue, as opposed to the issue itself. Simulation lag can happen for a variety of reasons, and some of the reasons we've found have been:

- large amount of items in Sim's Inventories
    - large amount of files in the Tray folder
    - large amount of Sims/relationships in the save file
    - using speed 3 for an extended period of time
    - when a child goes to school
    - when interacting with a toddler
    - when children autonomously do homework
    - on San Myshuno apartment lots

However, since OP said they don't plan on playing in SM, it won't be much of an issue for them :)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    @IgneousGelding yes, i think it's worth it. san myshuno is my second favorite world, i love going to festivals and venues there, the cityscape is gorgeous. i've only lived in apartment once, but it's fun (and nice for people who aren't good at building).
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

@allisonchurch Ahh, you just reminded me about the lot traits! I'd completely forgotten about those. And the vegetarian trait. For twenty bucks, I can totally see it being worth it now. I'm getting real tired of using the base game traits, and the vamp ones are only useful when playing vamps. Thank you for your input!
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yes City Living is STILL incredibly buggy. I got fed up recently and evicted all of my Sims from San Myshuno and moved them into other neighborhoods.
    @Chazzzy Lmao, I already bought it from cdkeys, so I guess I'll see for myself. It sucks that EA/Maxis still can't get their crap together and fix an EP that's been out for, what, half a year, almost?? But ah well. I got it for half the price, so I'm not too upset.
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    There is actually a thread compiled of all the City Living bugs here, and there's a lot:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/903909/various-city-living-bugs/p1
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Lol! I recently switched to a new computer, and I was able to play City Living. For a while I couldn't play, since my laptop simply stopped working and cause I switched to a gaming desktop. These couple of days I've been actually playing the game and I had no idea the Asian names were a bug! So yeah in that case there is a huge issue with Asian names, but I pretend it's like Tokyo so I don't really mind. What does bother me is the clothes bug. But I think that's a problem with the vampires GP? However I don't have issues with lagging (not really) or the time speed. Oooh but sims have an obsession with the talking toilet.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    Basically the whole game is still buggy. Some bugs are worse than others and some people seem to not mind them as much as other people do, so it really depends on what you consider game breaking. I do like TS4 but I'm kind of on a break from it because all the constant little bugs get tiring after a while.
    @Orchid13 Yeah, the clothes bug came with Vampires. Thank God I haven't had that one. I just have too much bad-looking CC for townies to get ahold of. So far I don't have any lag issues, but all I've done is re-design an apartment in the Fashion District and clean up some Sims that were in my library. I was in the TV section in buy mode and saw these weird box things... I'm like, "is this a TV?" I completely forgot this pack came with game consoles. I didn't think I'd be this excited to have this EP, tbh. Ugh, I'd love to have a gaming desktop. So far my laptop has been pretty good, though, so I'm not complaining.

@Jprp83 Yeah, I see most of the bugs as forgettable, but I'm a pretty chill player in general. I have had some annoying issues though, one of which I still need to inspect by removing my Mods folder, etc.

@MrMonty96 Oh boy, I'll have to have a look.
  • MarmarSimsMarmarSims Posts: 183 Member
    It is so buggy that I can't get to play some of my Sims in San Myshuno, I'm fed up with the townies with Asian/Arabic names. They fill up the whole 'Not in World'! And yes, speed 3 isn't functional. Sims tend to bug a lot, and festivials sometimes never go away.
    30uejra.jpg
    Origin: maritakoyaki
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    In my game I get a ton of Indian, Arabic and Asian names on the game generated townies but if I go in and hit the random button it is a nice mix that is not heavy on any one particular ethnicity.
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    Something I don't see anyone mention yet is the overlapping festivals. There is a bug with the changing food stalls and spawning of festivals that has been there since release, it doesn't seem like they intend to fix it even though it's pretty bad. Basically if you leave the festival area before it has ended, the objets will still be there when you get back - but they won't be functional, and they'll overlap with and block newly spawned objects. You can get some pretty horrible chaos scenes where a new festival spawns while the last one is still stuck.
    @Tomatplante Yeah, it seems like Maxis has completely turned their nose up at it. How long do the festivals last?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    In my game, my active sims like the basketball hoop too much on free will, and it even cancels user actions, which is annoying. Another related one is that if the basketball action is queued while they're sitting, they'll sink to the ground with a splashing sound to change into their gym clothes. If it gets too bad, I put the hoop in the inventory

This is why I never take my sims to the san myshuno gym, that basketball hoop is a mess.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1