Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Landgraab Legacy

Comments

• SparkleSims0986SparkleSims0986 Posts: 642 Member
    Episode 5-Through Fire and Flames
    "Malcolm!" Rani screamed again, making her way to the door and fumbling for the doorknob. She opened it to see Julian, standing there with a terrified look on his face.

"Mom? Are you okay?" He asked.

"The baby's coming," Raani said. "I need you to get Malcolm for me."

"His door's locked, Mom, I already tried."

Rani took a deep breath. "Okay, um, okay. Take my phone and call Nancy, please."

"Nancy?" Julian said with a grimace. "Okay, I'll tell her you're going to the hospital and to meet you there."

Rani grabbed her keys, shooting a furious and painful look towards Malcolm's closed door. She'd be plummed if her bitter brother-in-law jeopardized the safety of her baby. She'd drive herself.

Not ten minutes after Rani left for the hospital, Julian and Vivian were awoken by a huge explosion-the flash of light lighting up the house almost like daylight, and the crash sounding like thunder. Rushing outside, they were greeted with the sight of Princeton's rocket in pieces.

snIpu1h.png

Vivian screamed, and Julian held her back from running toward the wreckage, which was still flaming. Vivian started sobbing as Julian stared at the flaming ship in shock. If Princeton died, they'd have nobody. Malcolm and Nancy would make sure of that. Just as Julian came to his senses and was about to dial 911, he saw a hand waving and grasping in the wreckage. Ignoring the heat and danger, Julian ran towards that hand, using a tree branch to push chunks of metal aside. Grabbing the hand, Julian pulled a singed, gasping, and half-unconscious Princeton from the flames. Helping him to his feet, Julian helped him hobble away while Vivian wrapped him in a hug.

"Where's Rani?" Princeton croaked.

"She's having her baby," Vivian said, wiping away her tears. "She's at the hospital with Nana." Princeton managed a smile as Julian brought him to couch, where Princeton collapsed, promptly losing consciousness as Julian dialed 911.

Three hours later, Rani returned home, exhausted physically and emotionally drained. The labor had been difficult, even after the epidural. All she could think about was Princeton's message on the radio, and so despite the hospital official's best efforts to convince her to stay overnight at least, Rani had insisted on taking her little Annabella home. Walking to the front door, Rani saw the smoking wreckage of the rocket, but did her best not to panic as she rushed upstairs to put Annabella in her crib.

3xi4B8E.png

Rani gave her daughter a quick snuggle before heading downstairs to find out what had happened. Noticing Princeton zapped out on the couch with Vivian dozed off at his feet and Julian struggling to stay awake, Rani tried to hold back her tears. She gave Julian a hug as he explained that the paramedics had already checked Princeton out, and he was just a little concussed. He had insisted on staying home to meet his baby. Princeton, hearing Rani's voice, stirred awake and smiled at her.

"It's time to meet your daughter," Rani said softly. Princeton nodded with a sleepy smile, then headed upstairs.

utvJbua.png

"She's beautiful," Princeton whispered. "My little Annabella."

That night, after Princeton told Rani how control of his rocket had slipped completely out of his fingers as the shields failed re-entering orbit, everyone slept soundly. Everyone, that is, except for Malcolm, whose signals to the rocket had been halfway intercepted and misinterpreted by a group of other space travelers.

ygpira9.png

But, by the end, Malcolm was returned home safely, and decided to write the whole thing off as a very vivid dream.

The next morning, both Rani and Princeton returned to work. Malcolm awoke from his abduction-induced daze, and sat in bed for a few minutes before remembering the events of the previous night-Rani's labor, Princeton's crash. He bolted to the window, and seeing the wreckage of the rocket, felt a quick burst of glee mixed with a strange guilt. He dashed to Princeton and Rani's bedroom, stopping short when he saw Princeton's clothes on the floor. Irritation replaced the glee. Plum, he thought. That plum walked away alive. Turning to leave, Princeton was stopped short when he saw the bassinet in front of him. There lay the sleeping baby, peaceful and quiet. This could be the destruction of Malcolm's advantage over Princeton, or it could be a renewal of hope for Malcolm's cause.

Malcolm picked up the baby, doing the necessary check. Putting down his niece, he allowed a small smile to creep over his face. Pulling out his phone, he dialed Cassandra's number.

a0QaF0d.png

"It's a girl," He said, not even saying hello. "You know what this means. We still have a chance." Malcolm turned away and laughed to himself. This was going to be good.

The days continued, Malcolm entertaining himself with new flings. He Woohooed the mailwoman.

XID5kWv.png

He woohooed Miko Ojo.

9uwoIo7.png

And one day, he discovered Gunther Munch lurking outside the Landgraab mansion with binoculars and a camera. Pulling him out of the bushes, Malcolm shook him roughly. "What are you doing?" He snarled. "Another paparazzi, huh?"

Gunther laughed nervously as his collar was pulled by Malcolm. "Uh, yeah, sorry, I guess I'll get off your lot, that's it, I'll be going now."

"Wait," Malcolm said, realization dawning on him. "You're Gunther, the crazy guy that kept threatening my dad."

Gunther grinned maliciously. "I wasn't threatening your dad, I was threatening your plum of a brother for what he did to my mom. And I'm not sorry."

Malcolm released Gunther, thinking to himself. "Gunther," he said thoughtfully. "You and I have more in common than you think."

2ClzDKl.png

"We do?" Gunther asked.

Malcolm nodded. "We do. We both have an axe to grind with Princeton Landgraab. We both recognize that he's not the golden boy everyone believes he is, don't we, Gunther."

Gunther nodded.

"We both want revenge, Gunther. I see it so clearly now." Princeton grinned wickedly. "Gunther. wouldn't you like to make him pay? Wouldn't you like to ruin Princeton's life like he ruined yours?"

Gunther nodded breathlessly. "I'd like nothing more," he said, nearly drooling.

"Then welcome aboard, Gunther Munch."

To be continued...
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    I'm really not liking Malcolm. I may have to hunt him down in my own game and have him become a victim of the Meatball.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    ugh Malcolm, I usually ignore him and Gunther always ends up being the snake when I do play with his family at least Princeton survived this time.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    Looks like the two snakes hooked up. Watch out Princeton!
  • SmallSeven01SmallSeven01 Posts: 312 Member
    Oh I wonder what they will plan. Glad they were both ok!
  • Emma_Smith101Emma_Smith101 Posts: 453 Member
    Gets annoyed with Malcom and goes into own game to kill him in as many ways possible.
    I share my builds and Sims' stories sometimes at: https://simplicityplaysss.tumblr.com/
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    Gets annoyed with Malcom and goes into own game to kill him in as many ways possible.
    I killed him in three of my saves now because of this. He is still alive in my main save because I have big and painful plans for him in it.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    9995-eyes.png

I like this story, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Malcolm being Malcolm as usual! :triumph:
    // take me back to 2018.
    Episode 6-I'm Done Coming Up With Titles Also Sorry This Has Been Delayed I Re-Downloaded TS2 And It Was the Best Decision Ever
    P.s. this is gonna be long a lot happens i'm not sorry

Things for the Landgraab family had quieted down. No rocket ship sabotage, only one illicit affair on Malcom's part...He couldn't remember her name, but he could remember she was really good at Woohooing and seemed more than happy to, uh, hit and quit.

uJ0N0GK.png

Meawhile, Geoffrey was growing and growing til it was almost time for his birthday, which happened to fall the day after Julian's. Amidst the flurry of party planning for the heir, Julian had a quiet cake at home, the way he preferred it. He grew into a handsome and endearing teen.

pwSQVKu.png
    lstXc9U.png

"Here," Princeton said, taking a couple hours off of work for the celebration. He handed Julian a beautifully wrapped box. As Julian opened it to reveal a handmade, antique Simvarius violin in perfect condition, Princeton continued. "It's a family heirloom. We know you have a violin, but we were thinking you could give that one to Geoffrey when he gets old enough. Maybe teach him how to play? He looks up to you already."

Julian, nodded, almost speechless. "This, this is too much-this should go to Geoff, not me."

Princeton smiled and shook his head. "No, you deserve it. You love the violin. And we love you." The rest of the night was filled with the muffled strains of the violin as Julian played with happiness and love.

The next morning, after the kids went to school and Princeton and Rani went to work, Malcolm went out to get the mail. As he did so, he noticed the mailwoman he'd Woohooed standing by the mailbox. Turning quickly to go back inside, Malcolm tried to escape, but felt his arm being grabbed by the postlady. "Oh, hi, didn't see you there," he said, his voice full of saccharine and sarcasm.

"Malcolm, no beating around the bush," the mailwoman said. Malcolm rolled his eyes.

'Whatever it is, I'm much too busy for-"

"I'm pregnant."

HPKxQnJ.png

"God, why does that not surprise me?" Malcolm exclaimed angrily. "Well fine, whatever, I don't see how that concerns me."

The mailwoman looked at him in disbelief. "Are you... are you serious? This is your child. Don't you want to know him or her?"

Malcolm rolled his eyes again. "Not particularly."

She glared at him. "Well, you'll support us, won't you?"

Malcolm laughed. "No, of course not. I can't waste my money on some common plum who's careless enough to get herself into this mess."

The mailwoman's eyes hardened. "Then you'll see me in court. Or better yet, the tabloids. Good luck, Malcolm."

He watched her leave, rolled his eyes again, and went back inside. He had work to do, important people to call. The little scum heir's birthday party was tonight, and he would become eligible for the Council to recognize him as an asset on Princeton's behalf. Malcolm made his way to the computer. Time to do some digging, he thought with an evil grin. His skills as a hacker and as a secret agent would benefit him today.

v0CT40I.png

After about an hour and a half, Malcolm had what he needed. He called Gunther, inviting him over for lunch. They sat down as Malcolm casually began the conversation.

KzG15iA.png

"Gunther, you'd do anything to get revenge on my brother, yes?"

Gunther nodded hungrily. "Anything, yes."

Malcolm grinned. "Good. Then you'll like what I have to say." Malcolm explained his plan, and as he continued, Gunther's eyes widened with fright and shock.

"I-I can't do that," Gunther stammered. "There's no way I could-"

"Oh but you will," Malcolm said calmly. "In fact, you must." Malcolm slid a folder across the table, watching Gunther's eyes follow it. He reached for it, terrified, and picked it up gingerly as if holding a bomb. He opened it, and Malcolm watched in satisfaction as the blood left Gunther's face. "See, all I had to do to get those photos was to hack into the Caliente's security system. I don't know that Don Lothario would want those getting out." He raised an eyebrow and casually started eating his salad. "Those might upset a few people. Although, Gunther, I will say, I would have never guessed Lothario would, uh, fraternize with the likes of you. Oh, and don't worry, those photos are only the tip of the iceberg. Of course, there are more, but I think the real gold are those files in the back which state that you-"

"I'll do it," Gunther said in a panic. "I'll do it."

Malcolm grinned. "Good. See, I knew we'd come to an agreement. If you could show yourself to the door, I have a party to get ready for."

As the day went by, Malcolm locked away in his room, the time came for the party, which turned out would be a double celebration for Annabella and Geoffrey both. With everyone dressed up in their fancy attire, Rani got Geoffrey ready as Princeton went to age up Annabella.

9xpsjeb.png

"This is it," Rani said softly as she smiled at her little boy, a little sadly. "This is when you take on the responsibility of the legacy." She hugged Geoffrey tightly. "I wish I could protect you from all that's out there. Good luck, my son."

Meanwhile, Princeton aged up Annabella. He could already tell she was going to be precocious.

vVvPsrc.png
    tGdzQWD.png

Rani took Geoffrey downstairs, setting him down to play with his cousins Malcolm II and Anthony. They both had aged up, though quietly without parties. They'd have their time in the sun, reasoned Malcolm. Plenty of time for parties when he was in charge of the legacy. Rani made her way to Nancy, forcing a smile onto her face to greet her mother in law.

"Nancy," she said amicably.

"Rani." Nancy nodded. A noticeably awkward silence followed for a minute or so before Nancy spoke again. "I've made some decisions. Rani, as much as it pains me to say it, I-, well, I'd like for you to take my place on the Council upon my death. Cassandra will already be inheriting the Goth seat, and I would hate for the Goth family to have as much power as we do." Rani felt her excitement bubbling up. "However," Nancy continued, "I do not intend to die for a long time, until you and I have a had a chance to discuss-"

Nancy stopped, a strange look on her face. She pressed a hand to her heart, feeling its irregular rhythm. She placed a hand to her wrist, feeling its fading pulse. She could hear Rani's voice, faded and concerned in the background, but she was too focused on the rush of blood in her head. Long story short, she fell over and died of old age. I was going to write that out and make it emotional and whatnot, but I realized, it's Nancy. Nobody gives a plum.

WqYpNiE.png

Cries of shock and fright rang through the room, though nobody was really crying in sorrow. Nancy wasn't exactly loved. Rani stood there, dumbfounded. She was the Landgraab chair on the Council now. She could influence the decision to choose Princeton over Malcolm. Malcolm stood in a corner, masking his slight twinges of sadness with a cool, collected gaze. Princeton did the same, then briskly walked to Geoffrey, picked him up, and gave him to Rani. "Go get the cake," he said, urgency in his voice. He knew that his mother's death meant uncertainty in the line of legacy succession. She had died without naming an heir, leaving it up to the council to decide.

Rani took Geoffrey to the kitchen. He cried, only vaguely knowing what was going on, but stopped when he saw the candles. Within minutes, Geoffrey had aged into a cute little boy.

paQvK4E.png
    1obJdNL.png

The party ended rather quickly, on a somber note. Julian comforted Vivian and Geoffrey upstairs, despite not liking Nancy himself. She had always bullied him, making him feel unwelcome in the Landgraab home. Meanwhile, Princeton, Malcolm, and Rani all sat in their rooms, contemplating exactly what this meant for the legacy-for their children, for their futures.

GUFjxRp.png

To be continued...

ALSO these are Malcolm II and Anthony aged up

Malcolm II:
    IgF1o4c.png
    Anthony:
    Gsim2la.png
    (finally some Goth genes yay)

How like Nancy to die leaving everything in flux! And what is Malcolm going to have Gunther do - was it poison Nancy and she really died from poisoning...Nah...probably wants him to off Princeton.
  • LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    edited July 2017
    AudreyFld wrote: »
    How like Nancy to die leaving everything in flux! And what is Malcolm going to have Gunther do - was it poison Nancy and she really died from poisoning...Nah...probably wants him to off Princeton.

My thoughts exactly.

pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
    They are so cute! I wonder what the council will decide!
  • SisselinSisselin Posts: 150 Member
    Oh my this is soo interesting :o
    Get my cc and follow me on tumblr here https://sisselin.tumblr.com/tagged/my cc
    tumblr_p44az47wrF1wvxve9o10_r1_1280.png
  • MINEZMINEZ Posts: 792 Member
    :o:o:o:s:o !!!! My goodness!!
    Yikes!!!!!
    Episode 7

The night is cool, calm, dark. In the distance, the far-off strains of a violin can be heard, playing a melody that is sweet and slow. The notes are happy, playing a song reminiscent of picnics on the beach and playdates in the park-a melody of family and brotherhood. Slowly, the darkness of the night is illuminated by a subtle glow as the melody of the violin grows louder. The melody changes, speeding up as the light grows. The notes become frenzied, intense, chaotic, as the light begins to blaze in a sea of orange and yellow.

"Geoff! Don't worry, I'm coming!"

"Julian, grab your mother and your sisters and get outside!"

"I've got to get to Geoff! I can't lose him!"

"And I can't lose you! Julian, please, GO! I can get to Geoff!"

"Dad, I can-"

"Julian, it's useless, go!! Now!"

SzwpWTH.png

An unseen hand saws at the strings of the violin, racing up and down the scale as the light blazes. The strings begin to snap, one by one, each with a loud and sour twang, as the blaze burns a sharp white and Julian wakes up.

Julian's eyes snap open as he coughs, still feeling the phantom smoke in his lungs. He falls out of bed, still hacking, and runs to the bathroom, where he throws up. Sweaty and disheveled, he checks the clock, which reads 3:21 am. He sighs, leaning back against the toilet. His chest feels hollow. Everything hurts, but he feels nothing.

"It's not your fault."

"You don't know what happened that night."

"I know you nearly passed out from smoke inhalation trying to break down the door to your brother's room."

"I couldn't get to him in time."

"Julian. That's not your fault."

"I should have done something more. Grabbed a crowbar. I should have let him sleep in my room, should have-"

"Julian, have you cried yet?"

"I don't feel anything."

"It's okay to hurt, Julian. Hurt is how healing begins. Let down those walls, and let someone in. It doesn't have to be me, or even your parents, but you need someone."

Julian grabs his phone, staring at his lockscreen. It is a generic screen that was already loaded when the phone came out of the box. His old phone's lockscreen was a picture of him and Geoff on Geoff's birthday, but the screen had cracked when Julian hurled it against a wall one sleepless night. Julian tosses the phone aside and makes his way to his bed, staring up at the dark ceiling as he waits for the weight of dread on his chest to suffocate him.

"Jules, is this your violin?"

*laughter* "No, kiddo, it's yours. It's got your name on it, doesn't it?"

"Sweet! Will you teach me how to play?"

"Of course, Geoff. Let's see if you've picked up anything from your big brother. Come on, go ahead."

Oq6rJsb.png

"Yikes, little brother-I mean, you've definitely got a sense of rhythm and pitch, but any great musician needs practice, and that's what you need."

"Do you practice?"

"Geoff, what do you think I do every night? It's not all writing concertos and wooing women with my musical talent."

"I want to grow up to be a musician just like you!"

*laughter* "Last week you wanted to be an astronaut. But hey, follow your dreams, right?"

The darkness is oppressive. Every time Julian closes his eyes, he sees the blaze of light, the flames licking behind his lids. But he knows if he turns on the light, he'll only see ghosts of what used to be-what still should be.

"Julian? Are you awake?"

"Geoff, it's 10:30. Aren't you supposed to be asleep?"

"Mom took me to a council meeting today. She said she wanted me to meet all the other members. Julian, she told me I'm the heir, but she wouldn't tell me what that means."

REGooa1.png

"Ah. Okay. This is hard... Um. Okay. So you know how Dad is the mayor of Oasis Springs? Well, he's also sort of like the mayor of the Landgraab family, in a way. He makes all the decisions about our money, what we do with our companies, all that. Well, he inherited all that, and before that, it belonged to Grandpa Geoff and Grandmother. And one day, you'll inherit that control, and that's what being heir means."

"But why is Mom so afraid of the Council then?"

"Well, Geoff, the Council is really the one that decides who the heir is. Dad is only sort of the heir right now, and he won't have full control until the Council says he can. You're a big part of that, buddy. They want to make sure there'll be someone to inherit the Landgraab legacy when Dad dies."

"Julian, I'm scared. What if I mess it all up?"

"You won't, Geoff. I know it's a lot of responsibility for a kid-too much. But Mom and Dad are the ones fighting for you, and you know how tough they are."

"You're right! But you forgot something."

"Oh yeah? What's that?"

"I've got you! You've got my back, right?"

"Always, Geoff."

50b7jDo.png

The clock beside Julian's bed now reads 4:37 am. Julian briefly closes his eyes, welcoming the terrors.

*CRASH* "The door's down! Geoff!"

"Julian! I told you to get outside!"

"I can't leave you two. Geoff! Oh my god, Geoff! Don't worry, I've got you! Wake up, wake up!"

"Take him outside! I'll be behind you!"

"Mom! Did you call 911?"

"Julian! Geoff! Thank God!! Where's Princeton? Is he still inside-oh my god, is Geoff okay?"

"Please be okay, Geoff, wake up, wake UP!"

IkoSImt.png

The screams fade as Julian opens his eyes. Switching on his light, he makes his way to the mirror. He stares at his reflection for a minute before drawing a fist back and shattering the glass. Hardly letting out a sound, he turns, his breathing heavy and his knuckles lacerated and dripping blood. He picks up his violin, the family heirloom he received from Princeton. He stares at the bow beside it for a minute, considering. Letting out an inhuman scream, he brings the violin down on the ground, cracking the ancient wood. As the violin splinters into pieces, the strings snap, and Julian, for the first time in the week since his brother's death, finally cries.

• joyfulsimmerjoyfulsimmer Posts: 50 Member
    Oh my goodness I need another update. I can't believe it
    Poor Geoff!
    Dang it all! Poor Geoff....How sad...
    :o:o:o:o:'(...no words
    Episode 8

A week and half passed with a blur, characterized by nameless faces all offering condolences and casseroles. Neighbors who previously kept to themselves stopped by both to offer their sympathy and to catch a glimpse of what they viewed as the lavish and mysterious life of the powerful and reclusive Landgraab family. Rani seemed to meet each guest with a forced smile, playing the perfect role of the celebrity housewife.

opCvzvZ.png

Behind closed doors, however, relations were tense and cold. While Rani answered doors and threw away uneaten casseroles, Princeton remained in his study, doing God knows what with his time. All Rani knew was that her bed was cold, the bags under Princeton's eyes were getting darker, and they had exchanged a total of fourteen words in the past week and a half.

"The maid wants to know if she's getting her paycheck."

"It's on the counter."

Rani knew Princeton was devastated. He had lost his son and successor in one fatal blow, and she suspected he blamed himself, despite the official report that the fire had started from a chemical reaction in a faulty science set in Geoff's room. Still, she hoped that soon Princeton would open up. Maybe after the funeral tomorrow, she thought to herself as she slipped into bed, exhausted from another day of plastering on a fake smile and pretending their lives were still perfect. The tabloids were already guessing at the rift between Rani and Princeton, and one headline screamed that Julian hadn't left his room in days. Other supermarket magazines claimed that arson was involved, though the police had ruled that out. The only one who seemed to be able to function properly was Malcolm. He had been uncharacteristically helpful the past few days, entertaining Annabella and taking Vivian to the park. Rani figured he did his mourning in private, as seemed to be a shared trait between the brothers.

The day of the funeral dawned sunny and warm-a pleasant day for a family picnic or a pool party surrounded by friends. The sunlight only intensified Rani's dread. This day should be dark, dreary, rainy. The sun shouldn't be celebrating the death of a child. Still, Rani dragged herself out of bed to prepare for the day ahead.

She had only invited close family, or what family they had left-Cassandra and her boys. Rani wanted this to be quick, quiet and as painless as possible-No tabloid features, no paparazzi, no fake smiling. It would be hard enough for Vivian and Julian already. Annabella would be upset, but she was really too young to know what was going on. Rani headed upstairs, grabbing Annabella along the way. Gently opening Julian's door, she set down Annabella and saw her son sitting on his bed, dressed in a messy black suit, bought for weddings and parties. How ironic that it would serve now for a funeral.

"Julian?" Rani asked quietly. "Are you ready? People will be here soon."

"Nobody important," Julian said, tugging at his cuffs.

Rani sighed. "I know, baby, I know. This is going to be hard for all of us."

Tears welling up in his eyes, Julian looked down. "I just-I just wish we could be a normal family. Not will all this-pressure, and the media and-"

HBl6GSr.png

"I know," Rani said again. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault, Mom," Julian said, putting his arms around her. "Life just sucks."

An ironic half smile came to Rani's lips. "You're not wrong."

The doorbell rang, forcing Rani to release Julian from the hug and head downstairs. She opened the door, expecting to see Cassandra and her nephews. However, instead of her sister in law and two little boys, she saw Luna Villareal, head of the Villareal family on the Council. Rani shook her head, a little confused, but welcomed her in.

1vA9y81.png

"Good morning, Luna," she said. "May I ask what brings you here today?"

Luna tilted her head quizzically. "The funeral, of course. I was so sorry to hear about Geoff. I don't know if this is any consolation, but we on the Council will always be here if you need support."

Rani forced a smile, waving Luna to the kitchen where she could set down the cheese platter she brought, then immediately went to find Princeton. She found him in the parlor, mixing himself a drink.

"Did you invite the Council?" Rani asked bluntly, trying to remain calm.

Princeton poured the drink, sitting down at the bar. "Yes."

She gritted her teeth. "I thought we wanted a quiet family affair?"

"Did we?" Princeton asked, unaffected. "Maybe you did." He knocked back his Ridgeport, setting down his glass. "I, however, have a reputation to uphold, and a legacy to preserve. You seem to forget how our son's death will affect our standing with the council."

Rani stepped back, stunned. "Is that all this is to you? A networking event?"

"I didn't only lose my son that night, I potentially lost my inheritance" Princeton seethed, finally letting a bit of emotion slip through his facade. "We need to do everything to prove to the Council that we are still capable of carrying this family's legacy on our shoulders."

GFqriXo.png

"You're not the only one who lost something, Princeton." Rani let out a little laugh of shock and anger. "My son died! And he was more than just an heir to me, Princeton. And he used to be to you, too."

They stared at each other, anger and hurt written all over their faces. Finally, Princeton broke the silence. "You should probably answer the door."

Rani shook her head, forcing another smile in the endless parade of fake contentment. "Of course. Wouldn't want to show the world that we're normal human beings. Have fun proving yourself, Malcolm."

She left the room, leaving a shocked Princeton nursing his second, or third, glass of Ridgeport. The service itself was quick and awkward, as everyone but the kids knew that this had been transformed into a political affair. Princeton held his liquor well throughout the service, though he seemed a bit more surly and irritable at times. Julian and Vivian cried, and even Luna and Vivian Lewis shed some tears. Finally, the interment was completed, and a headstone was placed in the garden.

gR7KQiO.png

When the service was over and the guests were quietly mingling with glasses of wine and platters of cheese, not quite sure when it was appropriate to leave but not wanting to stay, there came a gentle knock on the front door. Malcolm, being the closest to the door and teh most desperate to escape his wife, opened it, coming face to face with Gunther Munch. Closing the door quickly behind him, Malcolm stepped outside.

"What are you doing here? You can't be here," Malcolm hissed.

"I don't want any part of this anymore," Gunther said, frightened and swaying on his feet a bit. Most likely drunk, by the smell of liquor on his breath.

Om0FgOv.png

Malcolm frowned. "And you couldn't wait until the day after my nephew's funeral to tell me this? Do you not have a shred of decency?"

"Decency," Gunther scoffed, "as if you know anything about decency. I want out."

"It's too late." Malcolm shook his head. "You're a part of this as any of us are. Your fingerprints will forever remain on the Landgraab legacy, whether you like it or not." He looked around. "Now go home, Gunther. For both our sakes."

Malcolm shook his head again in disgust, slamming the door in Gunther's face. He waved goodbye to the last of the Council as they made their way through the doors as the light faded. Heading upstairs, Malcolm stopped at his doors when he heard loud voices.

"At least I didn't turn my son's funeral into a political pundit!" Rani yelled.

Princeton sneered, clearly inebriated. "Hey, one of us has to care about our future, right? After all, I'm the one who makes all our money and keeps this family on top, where we belong."

With a mocking laugh, Rani shook her head. "Oh, I forgot, your career is the only thing that matters to you. Your career and your power. Even more than your son, it seems."

Princeton's face darkened and his voice lowered dangerously. "Clearly, you know nothing about how these cities' politics work, despite being on your precious council. Where were you to Geoff and the girls when you were too busy kissing the Council's plums to be their mother? My mother warned me about marrying below our station. Clearly, I should have listened."

ZT1vMWE.png

With that, Princeton strode into his room, slamming the door behind him. Rani was left behind, standing shocked and hurt and angry as she shook with unshed tears. Watching from across the hallway, Malcolm stood unnoticed. He felt a twinge of sympathy for his sister-in-law, but also felt a warm feeling of victory spread across his stomach. He smiled to himself, knowing that the more conflict between Rani and Princeton, the more likely the Council was to choose Malcolm as the heir. And it just so happened that Bella Goth hadn't left yet.

"That didn't sound like too happy a discussion." A voice called from the study, where Bella Goth stood admiring the portraits on the wall.

Rani composed herself, stepping into the study. "Every couple quarrels. And it's been hard for us the past few days."

"Yes, I can't even imagine," Bella mused. "Still, that sounded a bit more serious than a quarrel."

Lp61bpC.png

"Bella, really, it's nothing," Rani said with a smile. "I appreciate your concern, but-"

"You know I'm your friend, yes Rani?" Bella asked, but continued before Rani could respond. "As your friend, I do sympathize with you, but as your friend, I also have an obligation to remind you that it is my duty as the Council's chair to help the Council make the best decision for not only your family, but our cities as well." Rani felt a jolt of panic shoot through her stomach as Bella went on. "And you know, I have a duty to protect my family as well, including my dear daughter Cassandra. You must see how that leaves me in a sticky spot?"

Rani nodded, unable to speak.

Bella gave a sad smile. "You know that we all have to make hard decisions. But you also know I'm here for you if you need my help in these dark days. I can't imagine losing a child-you know, the triplets just had their third birthday the other day. I don't know that I'd maintain sanity if anything happened to one of them. You're handling it very well."

Rani nodded again, her eyes to the ground. Bella began to leave. "Oh, and Rani? Don't forget the Council meeting next week. We have important decisions to be made."

83yXFbk.png

To be continued....

So sad. I bet Gunther spills...at least I hope he does.
    Twist and turns!!!!
    Is it me or is Bella almost warning her?