Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I figured this out the other day:

Even if you only have a heavily-pregnant sim sit and watch Kids' T.V. prior to giving birth, she'll have twins! I did that the other day and my sims' first- of 5- kids were twin girls!
Origin ID
HillyPlays
P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything

Comments

• AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    That is interesting. If only we can do that in real life :)

It is rare that I make sims pregnant, but I have heard things about making sims eat fruit to influence the gender.
  • SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    Huh, I thought the watching kid's tv thing was actually never proven... I never did that, as, I was tired of my sim constantly getting 'bored' from the kid's programming. Sometimes I'll try the food/music thing that you can influence gender with.

But I'll try this next time. Thanks :)
    giphy.gif
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I wanted twins for one sim a couple of years ago. I had the mother listen to kids' radio and watch kids' TV for hours. She had quadruplets. I didn't want that many, so I went back and didn't have her do those things, but she still had triplets. Neither parent had the fertility treatment LTR either. Sometimes, multiples just happen, even when you don't do anything to influence it.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I'll try this, I've only ever had twins once and never had triplets!
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    My Sim watched Kids tv and ate watermelons (she was a vampire) and she had twin girls :smiley:
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    The tv trick never worked for me. The LTR does, and the genie wish.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    My sims always seem to have twins but I found out a while ago that if you they woohoo while pregnant they are likely to have twins. :)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Summerjase wrote: »
    Huh, I thought the watching kid's tv thing was actually never proven... I never did that, as, I was tired of my sim constantly getting 'bored' from the kid's programming. Sometimes I'll try the food/music thing that you can influence gender with.
    It's proven to be in the game's programming/tuning. Whether something like that is effective or not may vary by player or by sim. An increased chance of twins or more does not guarantee a multiple birth.

But I've never heard of sims getting bored while watching TV. Some of them get more interested in channels that speak to the their traits and skills than others, and their animations and reactions while watching will be different, but you've actually had them refuse to watch or get bored moodlets in TS3? Maybe I've been missing something. Or maybe you had cheap TVs that were getting poor reception?

kittymeow wrote: »
    My sims always seem to have twins but I found out a while ago that if you they woohoo while pregnant they are likely to have twins. :)
    Interesting, but there is no reason why that would happen other than it helping the expectant parent maintain a high degree of happiness throughout -- which among other things like reading the parenting books helps lead to an "easier" birth and the player getting to choose the baby's traits. Are we really talking about TS3 here?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    My parents always woohoo while pregnant, but twins are still quite rare without some other manipulation of the pregnancy.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I only ever had twins (and one time triplets) with the fertility treatment, ideally with both parents. I really tried for twins with the watching the kids channel and listen to kids music, but it didn´t work for me (well, for my sim). And my sims can (and do) wohoo autonomously, that never seemed to influence anything.

The getting bored by the kids channel, as well as the music/fruit combination is a Sims 4 thing.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    I never let prego sims watch the kids channel, listen to the kids radio station, or buy the Fertility Treatment LTR unless it makes sense for a challenge. All three will increase the chances. Without the extra boost, it's pretty darn rare. Even more rare to get a girl/boy twins. I like being surprised. It keeps the game fresh (at least for me).
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    I only ever had twins (and one time triplets) with the fertility treatment, ideally with both parents. I really tried for twins with the watching the kids channel and listen to kids music, but it didn´t work for me (well, for my sim). And my sims can (and do) wohoo autonomously, that never seemed to influence anything.

The getting bored by the kids channel, as well as the music/fruit combination is a Sims 4 thing.
    That would be a shocker, if it would work for us :D The only time I did fertility treatment on both parents that got them triplets by the way.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Summerjase wrote: »

But I'll try this next time. Thanks :)

This was for sims 3. Not sims 4. :)
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    My sims have used the watch kids TV and listen to kids radio thing while pregnant many times. Works best on couch potatoes as they'll stay there and have loads of fun for the whole pregnancy, only wanting breaks for necessities. :D
    The more time they spend watching/listening, the better the chances. In my experience, you usually get twin, not triplets this way.

If both parents have the fertility LTR, you can sometimes get triplets, but it (triplets) seems rare if only one parent has it. Not sure how much the massage table improves things. Or the elixirs, or genie large family wish.

It would make sense that the different methods would stack though, so if you REALLY want multiples, use multiple methods.
  • jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    I will definitely have to try this out, when I'm up for having twins :p .
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    My sims have used the watch kids TV and listen to kids radio thing while pregnant many times. Works best on couch potatoes as they'll stay there and have loads of fun for the whole pregnancy, only wanting breaks for necessities. :D
    The more time they spend watching/listening, the better the chances. In my experience, you usually get twin, not triplets this way.

If both parents have the fertility LTR, you can sometimes get triplets, but it (triplets) seems rare if only one parent has it. Not sure how much the massage table improves things. Or the elixirs, or genie large family wish.

It would make sense that the different methods would stack though, so if you REALLY want multiples, use multiple methods.
    This has been my experience as well.

I’ve done a fair amount of experimenting with multiple birth odds for YA Sims. I had posted my findings on the old TS3 forum, but can’t find that post atm. But basically, a Sim having a multiple birth is like a dice roll; depending on the percentages, even if a multiple birth is likely, it’s not guaranteed. And conversely, even if having multiples is unlikely given the remote odds at times, it doesn't mean it will never happen.

If you use NRaas MC you can check a pregnant Sim to see what the odds are for having a multiple birth (MC> Status>Relationship). These are the figures I saw when looking at percentages with and without the Fertility LTR:

Default (no Fertility LTR)
    Twins: 2%
    Triplets: <1%

Mother with Fertility LTR
    Twins: 50%
    Triplets: 2%

Both parents with fertility LTR
    Twins: 1000%
    Triplets: 40%

From what I understand, the game “rolls” the chance to have twins first, and if that roll fails the Sim will have a single child. If the roll is successfully made for twins, it's followed by a roll for triplets also. If the triplet roll fails your Sim will have twins, and if the triplet roll succeeds they have triplets. Anything 100% or over is an automatic success. Furthermore, if you use a certain mod to allow quadruplets, there must be successful rolls for both twins and triplets, as well as a successful quad roll in order to have quads. Of course, having enough room in your household for all these potential nooboos is also a factor.

As mentioned in the post I quoted above, multiple methods do stack. So having your pregnant Sim watch the kids’ TV channel and listen to the kids’ radio station will increase their percentage odds for a multiple birth. However, the increase greatly depends on how much time is spent doing these activities. With the maximum amount of time allotted to watching/listening to kids TV/radio simultaneously, these are the values I saw while experimenting:

Max radio/TV time with no Fertility LTR
    Twins: 75%
    Triplets: 3%

Max radio/TV time and mother with Fertility LTR
    Twins: 1500%
    Triplets: 60%

Max radio/TV time and both parents with Fertility LTR
    Twins: 30,000%
    Triplets: 1200%

With less than the maximum value allotted for TV/radio you will see different/lower percentages, which would affect the outcome of the pregnancy.

I haven’t tried the other methods like wishing for a large family by genie, so I can’t speak as to what the odds might be for those or how they may or may not stack with the values shown above. It could be interesting to experiment with though... or absolutely terrifying! :lol:
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    ~using USB keyboard~ ;( River just watched Kids TV/read books, had fertility treatment...and she ended up having triplets with ISS. This was after she had two previous pregnancies: first being a girl; second being a boy. Triplets were two boys, one girl. They broke the shower twice and ended up "trying for baby" in the shower and she ended up "in the family way" again. The family yard looks like a school playground.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    I've not noticed much of a difference in multiples with the kids tv thing, but I've not really tried it that much either, I usually use the Fertility Treatment LTR method...or the cheating with MC method, when I really want a sim to have multiples.

However I have also noticed that there seem to be a lot of twins being born in my Twinbrook game. Hmm....
    Is Twinbrook actually programmed to have more twin births or is it some kind of crazy coincidence in my game?
    So far the only twin births seem to be to inactives, none of my active sims in Twinbrook have given birth to twins.
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've not noticed much of a difference in multiples with the kids tv thing, but I've not really tried it that much either, I usually use the Fertility Treatment LTR method...or the cheating with MC method, when I really want a sim to have multiples.

However I have also noticed that there seem to be a lot of twins being born in my Twinbrook game. Hmm....
    Is Twinbrook actually programmed to have more twin births or is it some kind of crazy coincidence in my game?
    So far the only twin births seem to be to inactives, none of my active sims in Twinbrook have given birth to twins.
    Twinbrook is part of my ongoing long-running game of connected Traveler mod worlds. I've succeeded in overpopulating it and have to fix that somehow the next time I return to play there. But I never noticed a higher concentration of twins or trips among the inactives even though I had them breeding like rabbits at one point. Maybe I missed something.

But any oddities one can observe about that world, and there are plenty, have to be due to the municipal water supply. I mean look at the water in that world, and that stuff comes out of their tap? Ugh! ;)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    kittymeow wrote: »

My sims rarely have twins and since I leave them to their own devices for the bulk of each sim day, they woohoo non-stop, pregnant or not.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    One way to get them to listen to kids music is to get them dancing to it. I think if you really want multiples you need to do more than listen to music or watch TV though.
    edited June 2017
    @starguru Wow, only 2% chance to have twins without any treatment :o That did happen to me once. Do you happen to know the chances when your sim did the genie wish? Never failed for me, but is it indeed 100% triplets? Is something like that (percentages) also possible in regard to supernatural offspring? (with two different parents I mean)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I can attest to the listening to kids music working.

In an early game I had not intended to have twins, they already had one child. But I usually place a radio in each child's room starting as infants. I play their favorite music for an increased positive moodlet. Their first child's fav was kid's music and since the mother spent a lot of time in that room teaching them while she was pregnant with the next she ended up having twins.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited June 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @starguru Wow, only 2% chance to have twins without any treatment :o That did happen to me once. Do you happen to know the chances when your sim did the genie wish? Never failed for me, but is it indeed 100% triplets? Is something like that (percentages) also possible in regard to supernatural offspring? (with two different parents I mean)

The default chance of twins is 2.5%, for triplets it's 0.1% chance. NRaas MC doesn't show all the digits.

The last time I had a sim use the genie wish for a large family, I had a particular NRaas mod which allows quadruplets. The chances for the pregnant sim via NRaas MC's Relationship Status was 100% for twins, 100% for triplets, 100% for quads. The sims I was playing did not have the fertility treatment and I didn't have the pregnant sim listen to the radio or watch kids TV. My sims had quads with the genie wish every time. @starguru 's explanation of how the dice rolls work seems consistent with what I saw with the genie wish, although I don't really know how the chance of quads is applied by the mod.