Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimLit Celebrations and Discussions

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @mastressalita I love that smile of Earl's! I love how Sims will come back from the grave to smile at their beloveds!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @mastressalita I love that smile of Earl's! I love how Sims will come back from the grave to smile at their beloveds!
    I agree; it's lovely.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    Ok first off what I'm currently reading and what you should be too :)@lisabee2 Rose White Search For A King is a great take on the traditional bachelor challenge. She hasn't gotten to the challenge part yet but I love the way she is setting it up. Each guy she introduces is better then the rest. And if you like stories with gorgeous pictures then you must be reading this story. I'm blown away with the beautiful world she has created. Another story I'm reading at the moment that I feel everyone should give a try is @Marialein Angel In The Darkness. It's a story unlike any I've read in the sim world. She weaves the real word with the spiritual word effortless. The connection you have with these characters is true and real.

Now onto to catching up with the discussions so far.

#2 spooky stories - I'm a wimp and don't like anything scary. I know they aren't real but somewhere deep inside part of my believes all these scary things like zombies and ghosts and vampires are real. I'd rather not tempt fate and read something scary. However there is a story that deals with the supernatural that I love but does it in a more humorous way so I can handle it. That is @CitizenErased14 Paranormal Neighborhood. I loved how you were learning with the narrator about what was really going on in her seemingly normal neighborhood.

#3 November holidays - I'm going to skip this one as I don't really ready anything that falls into this.

#4 firsts - The first story I ever read was Hirondelles (not sure if she is on the forums) Disney Legacy. She introduced me to both the world of simlit and challenges. Before reading that story I used these forums as more of a place to answer my tech questions or if I need a cheat. I never knew this wonderful world of stories was hiding in plain sight here. Her story was picture heavy which might be why I tend to lean towards that type of story, both when I write and read. Also it had to do with all things Disney which if you read my stories know that I love to write that as well. She was really the person who inspired me to be the writer I am today.
    As for how it was starting out writing simlit I had the one worry I think everyone does, is anyone going to want to read it? I went back and forth before starting my legacy whether I wanted to write a story from it or not. After thinking about it for a while I decided what was the worst that could happen. If people didn't read it or like it then so what. It was something I was enjoying and that was all that matter. But then as I was writing and posting my story people were actually liking it. It was the greatest feeling ever. It's something I still love. Anytime someone likes my story or comments on it it lifts my day!

#5 love and loss - You can't read simlit without falling in love with so many characters. There are so many writers here who have that special gift of breathing life into the characters they create. Some of the ones I adore are Hirondelle's Snow White, @Marialein Luman, @VIRTUALEE Hook, @Sterretjeee Troian. These are just a few that I love, there are so many more <3 The thing all these characters have is you just can't help but root for them.

I need to head out so I will continue the rest of the discussions later.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Smiles are good and I love the choices so far!

So my picks from my own stories do all have something genetic tying them together. Hello, Harwood Clay and descendants! I've always loved Harwood's mouth, because it's built in an extreme and fascinating way, with sliders pulled to their minimum or maximum. So it results in a big mouth with huge lips and them resting into this curious smirk, and it really works for all emotions. It's to the point that I want to know which game dev at EA made him. They did...I wouldn't say well overall (since he's pretty strange and ugly) but I love that mouth!

It's hard to pick a fave smile for Harwood because he did not smile much in Eight Cicadas. I think his last moment with Shark before scampering off to kill himself is the best of those, like, five total shots of him smiling. :p:'(

screenshot-366shrped.jpg

That or him and Sagebear!

screenshot-11shrped.jpg

Harwood tends to look very sweet when he's happy. Like he's gonna cry out of joy. But two of his biological kids ended up smiling much differently.

Carmen always looked mean and scheming:

screenshot-920shrped.jpg

screenshot-1415shrped.jpg

And so did Benji a lot, but between him being a jerk to Franco and dealing with crippling trauma and depression, he evolved into a dopey-looking dad:

screenshot-698.jpg

While I'm glad to take a break from the universe of Eight Cicadas (but they'll rise again...in some form), there was one chapter I had almost finished involved Samira and child-Mari. And Mari was a sweet little girl who usually looked as sweet as grandpa Harwood. But on occasion, as devious as her dad:

UAoPhXU.jpg

...and before someone asks me if I have smiles I like from No Stars over Uptown, I do! Axel's smile is still (even after all the horrible things he's thought and done) so cute and pure. Like when Thu hired him back:

05-06-17_9-54-27c2a0pmshrped.jpg

I guess it should come as no surprise that Axel started out in CAS as, and you won't believe this, Harwood-spawn.

---

And picks from other stories. I have three.

06-11-17_7-04-01-pm1.png?w=640&h=360

Derek from Second Chances, by @orangeplumbob, shows why I love those teeth options with TS4. :p<3 Also, the nervous smile of trying to power through his dad's arrest made me cry. He's a kid caught in the middle of a moral quandary far too deep for a child his age to have to be in (idolizing police officers like his grandpa vs. his father being a great and loving father but also an actual convicted felon) and it highlights the sadness behind him smiling. :(

10-27-16_10-56-33c2a0pm.png

I always really felt...mixed...whenever I saw Zayne as a child in Ashes to Ashes by you-know-who (or @CitizenErased14 so she sees this :tongue:). He was another kid who had to power through something tragic when he was too young to have to do so, and I wanted to hug him when he was trying to smile through it.

And since I love troubled redheads smiling...

Blah blah, Sinbad was a character in Eight Cicadas too, but I knew when he was going to and needed to smile there. @rednenemon wrote him in The Racket-Rotter Chronicles and told me a lot but never told me when he'd be happy. So that mean-faced little weasel always caught me off-guard with reading when he was happy. Like here with his awesome gay husband:

screenshot-15-24.jpg?w=676

He might be Harwood-spawn in our canon, but he doesn't have the mouth. So I have to put him somewhere else, with the common folk. :p
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    I was trying to include Cicadas Harwood in my list of smiles, @InfraGreen , but I really couldn't remember him smiling! And it is his eyes that get to me, anyway.

I'm not surprised about Alex being Harwood-spawn. He's got a great smile, and he gets to me.

And I almost mentioned Sinbad--Part Deux Shark also has some pretty sweet smiles!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @CathyTea: While trying to make a list I thought I had a TON of Harwood smiles, but they all came from non-Cicadas saves and abandoned story attempts. He can be happy when he feels like it. :p I do think eyes play a huge role in smiling, for everyone! Harwood's are big and round, which I guess it what separated him from Carmen. She had her mum's harsher eyes.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    swcheppes wrote: »
    Ok first off what I'm currently reading and what you should be too :)@lisabee2 Rose White Search For A King is a great take on the traditional bachelor challenge. She hasn't gotten to the challenge part yet but I love the way she is setting it up. Each guy she introduces is better then the rest. And if you like stories with gorgeous pictures then you must be reading this story. I'm blown away with the beautiful world she has created. Another story I'm reading at the moment that I feel everyone should give a try is @Marialein Angel In The Darkness. It's a story unlike any I've read in the sim world. She weaves the real word with the spiritual word effortless. The connection you have with these characters is true and real.

Now onto to catching up with the discussions so far.

#2 spooky stories - I'm a wimp and don't like anything scary. I know they aren't real but somewhere deep inside part of my believes all these scary things like zombies and ghosts and vampires are real. I'd rather not tempt fate and read something scary. However there is a story that deals with the supernatural that I love but does it in a more humorous way so I can handle it. That is @CitizenErased14 Paranormal Neighborhood. I loved how you were learning with the narrator about what was really going on in her seemingly normal neighborhood.

#3 November holidays - I'm going to skip this one as I don't really ready anything that falls into this.

#4 firsts - The first story I ever read was Hirondelles (not sure if she is on the forums) Disney Legacy. She introduced me to both the world of simlit and challenges. Before reading that story I used these forums as more of a place to answer my tech questions or if I need a cheat. I never knew this wonderful world of stories was hiding in plain sight here. Her story was picture heavy which might be why I tend to lean towards that type of story, both when I write and read. Also it had to do with all things Disney which if you read my stories know that I love to write that as well. She was really the person who inspired me to be the writer I am today.
    As for how it was starting out writing simlit I had the one worry I think everyone does, is anyone going to want to read it? I went back and forth before starting my legacy whether I wanted to write a story from it or not. After thinking about it for a while I decided what was the worst that could happen. If people didn't read it or like it then so what. It was something I was enjoying and that was all that matter. But then as I was writing and posting my story people were actually liking it. It was the greatest feeling ever. It's something I still love. Anytime someone likes my story or comments on it it lifts my day!

#5 love and loss - You can't read simlit without falling in love with so many characters. There are so many writers here who have that special gift of breathing life into the characters they create. Some of the ones I adore are Hirondelle's Snow White, @Marialein Luman, @VIRTUALEE Hook, @Sterretjeee Troian. These are just a few that I love, there are so many more <3 The thing all these characters have is you just can't help but root for them.

I need to head out so I will continue the rest of the discussions later.
    Awwee thanks for the mention my friend <3

• RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @InfraGreen Those are great smiles! You're right; Harwood does have a really great-looking mouth. His smiles are so melancholic but also full of joy. And I love Carmen and Benji's smirks.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    So many stories...

Currently I have read or am reading (I wanted to post links, but am not special enough just quite yet....someday):

Stories by Jes2G
    You will find many SimLit stories at this website. If you want a good start, I recommend reading The Pruett Family Legacy. It’s inspired by The Legacy Challenge. You will find all 10 Generations and an after party. It’s a long read (unless you binge read it), but it’s well worth it.

Dust to Dust
    This is a SimLit story inspired by The Ambrosia Challenge. It’s about a young boy who meets a ghost and begins to fall in love with her. It’s got romance, drama, and a little bit of humor.

Ashes to Ashes
    A sequel (or spin-off) to the SimLit story Dust to Dust. Follow along with the Rosebrook family and enter the world of high-drama. This story is The Legacy Challenge inspired. Please note if you read this story, there will be swearing, depictions of alcohol/drug use, and sexual situations.

Heffner Legacy
    Inspired by The Legacy Challenge, this SimLit story contains a lot of suspense after Generation 1. You’ll meet another side of Tony Corleonesi, the famous Sim who made his first appearance in Legacies of the Sims.

I am also writing my own Legacy story. Almost finished with Generation 1. When allowed to post links, I will share. At that point, there should be some decent reading time for it. :)
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hey everyone, apologies for another super long absence. I was hoping to get back to this sooner and time just got away from me. I would love to continue SimLit celebrations on a monthly basis.

simlit-celebrations-and-discussion.png?w=474&h=451

Here are the following nomination categories for the next 4 months (be thinking about November-January, which I'll be posting after the 1st of the appropriate month):

October What's on your reading list 2.0 - (I'll be adding in the ones listed most recently in the last few posts here)
    November Thankfulness and gratitude - stories, shorts, or themed chapters that showcase gratitude/thankfulness on the part of the Sim character or characters)
    December Happy Holidays (holiday-themed chapters, shorts, or stories)
    January Fresh Starts (stories, chapters, or shorts featuring beginnings of any kind, fresh starts, etc.)

October Celebrations of SimLit:
    @CitizenErased14's Dust to Dust and Ashes to Ashes
    @Jes2G's Pruett Family Legacy
    @Maladi777's Heffner Legacy
    @Munterbacon's Ironbound
    @LegacySims2017' #BuildNewcrest Challenge: Simself Legacy Edition
    @pronterus' Undead With Benefits
    @Rainydayz179 Curses
    @allysimbuilds, @CathyTea, @Charliimai, @For_Eorzea/SMNerd, @kkira555, @Meggles, @ny275, @peatock,
    @ra3rei, @Rainydayz179, @RipuAncestor, @SoulGal7, @Thymeless, and @Xantheanmar - All the Alien Adoption Challenge Stories
    @Xantheanmar - Sylvia's Visits to Aylin
    @Karilan - How to Live With Grace, Pine Point, and Glassbolt Prison
    @mastressalita Teatime Tuesday
    @Jes2G Cradle of Secrets
    @RipuAncestor Forget-Me-Not
    @KaylaHoliday - The Woodward Legacy
    @AuroraLockwood - The Family Black
    @Maladi777's Heffner Legacy
    @JoieWilder Thoreau Legacy
    @pammiechick Day and Knight
    @Cement White Lies and Half Truths
    @15ewar Shadow over Newcrest
    @bookloverblue 's Miskin Legacy: From Misery to Merit
    @friendsfan367 The Benders
    @Eddie Sims The Sloane Legacy
    @cecerose0208 Dreams & Drama and The Duvall Diaries
    @ny275 The Castillo Legacy and Build Newcrest
    @orangeplumbob Second Chances
    @RosemaryMarie Noble Doubt
    @Bugsie2016 Burton Legacy
    @thewindsorlegacy The Windsor Legacy
    @For_Eorzea's Firecalls
    @Meggles Xilla Project
    @MrsRacooney's Daughters of A Warrioress
    @ra3rei Huffman Legacy
    Post edited by AdamsEve1231 on
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I'd like to mention @Munterbacon's Ironbound. I've been binge reading this amazing sci-fi series and I'm super impressed by the attention to detail, the writing style, the cliffhangers, the drama, and the gorgeous alien Sims.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i seem to read legacy simmers build newcrest story.
    i seem to read legacy simmers build newcrest story.

Hey welcome @friendsfan367. What's the link for the story?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Love this thread idea, don't know how I didn't see it before! Bookmarking and will return later.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    I've just started reading Undead with Benefits by @pronterus . I've only gotten to the prologue so far, but I really enjoy what I've read.

I really need to get caught up on everyone else's stories :D
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    15aewar wrote: »
    I've just started reading Undead with Benefits by @pronterus . I've only gotten to the prologue so far, but I really enjoy what I've read.

I feel ya! My reading list has grown to 19 in the "catch up" category (yours is in there!). At the moment I'm focusing heavily on some Alien Adoption stories to brush up on the collab lore before I get started.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    I'd like to mention @Munterbacon's Ironbound. I've been binge reading this amazing sci-fi series and I'm super impressed by the attention to detail, the writing style, the cliffhangers, the drama, and the gorgeous alien Sims.

Thank you for the mention @AdamsEve1231 , I always smile when I witness someone really getting into the story. I have a bunch of your comments to reply to, which I hope to do so this afternoon :)

Haven't been doing much reading due to RL dramas but I'll add a list shortly, once things for the day slow down.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member

That's awesome. Hope you enjoy the rest of the story! :)
    pronterus wrote: »

how can undead have benifits?
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member

I'm not even sure myself lol

i haven't got around to reading it because my list is so long i think its buried. but it clever.

:D

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

i haven't got around to reading it because my list is so long i think its buried. but it clever.

Undead with Benefits is on my to read list too.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest