Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff Packs Going Back To Only One New Gameplay Object?

Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
So the official trailer for the Fitness Stuff is out and there's only one new gameplay object again (the climbing wall) which to be honest, I was a little disappointed about. There is so much potential gameplay they could have included in a "fitness" pack. I know they don't have a large budget for SP's but in my opinion a climbing wall doesn't seem enough? The last SP also only had one new gameplay object and that pack actually ended up being my least favourite SP (I liked them all up until that point). I feel like the SP's are starting to go down hill again which is a shame because I think after Cook Kitchen they started to get really good.

To be fair, the climbing wall does seem to have a few different options but they seem unnecessary to me. Why spend the resources making a climbing wall that flips around and shoots out fire instead of using those resources to make a second gameplay object? I would have been perfectly happy and preferred it if the climbing wall was just a simple climbing wall your sims went up and down, and also have something like a bench press as another gameplay object. That's just my opinion on it though :)

Comments

• TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited June 2017
    I am annoyed about the climbing wall, but it looks like they've also added a lot of new animations with working out on the TV - so even though we already have a new TV, I think that might constitute the second gameplay object?

ETA: Seeing how many animations are on the climbing wall makes me very skeptical about the claim that swings would be too much animation for a stuff pack.
  • Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    I am annoyed about the climbing wall, but it looks like they've also added a lot of new animations with working out on the TV - so even though we already have a new TV, I think that might constitute the second gameplay object?

ETA: Seeing how many animations are on the climbing wall makes me very skeptical about the claim that swings would be too much animation for a stuff pack.

That's a good point actually, I suppose that would technically count as new gameplay because it needs new animations
    edited June 2017
    @SimGuruGraham - Does a Sim going back and forth on a swingset really eat up more animation budget than the multiple exaggerated animations of the rock wall?

ETA: Is it really called "plumboomba"?? xD
    edited June 2017
    There are three new features included in The Sims 4 Fitness Stuff. :) Obviously the treadmill rock climbing wall is the star of the pack. In addition, you'll also get the new earbuds, which let your Sim listen to music anywhere - no matter what they're doing. Finally, the workout videos let your Sim follow along to exercise routines for power sculpting, or plumboomba dancing.

Thanks for clearing that up Graham! The earphones actually completely skipped my attention
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    I would have added an exercise bike.
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    There are three new features included in The Sims 4 Fitness Stuff. :) Obviously the treadmill rock climbing wall is the star of the pack. In addition, you'll also get the new earbuds, which let your Sim listen to music anywhere - no matter what they're doing. Finally, the workout videos let your Sim follow along to exercise routines for power sculpting, or plumboomba dancing.

Features, not gameplay objects.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Plumboomba - LOL!!!!!!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

plopppo2 wrote: »
    I would have added an exercise bike.

That would have fit in really well :(
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    In my opinion, the climbing wall is a bit of a disappointment...
    Personally, I would've much preferred to have an exercise bike or pull up bar instead of another oversized object. Luckily, I really like the style of the new furniture and décor objects. So, I still plan on getting it.. just not nearly as excited as I was before the trailer.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

Yeah, those don't seem like new objects. You already have the idle animations you'd need for the earbuds iirc (inb4 it's just some music notes coming out of the Sim's ears while we hear faint music and the sim does some dancing/listening to music animations), and by the logic of a video being an "object," Movie Hangout Stuff apparently had like 13 interactive objects.

It's undeniable there's less objects here.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    Thanks very much for the answer @SimGuruGraham - I can appreciate that and am now much less salty about the rock wall. :P

@DeservedCriticism - Working out with fitness videos isn't really comparable to the movies from Movie Hangout - it's not the stuff on the screen that's new gameplay, but the animation for the Sim working out. Watching a movie reused TV animations and relied on TS3 for the material on the films, whereas there's new animation like jumps and dance moves that come with working out with the TV. I'm actually impressed at how much new animation is in this stuff pack.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Um the workout channel has new animations, and the earbuds are an actual object so they might have a new animation too...
    Thanks very much for the answer @SimGuruGraham - I can appreciate that and am now much less salty about the rock wall. :P

@DeservedCriticism - Working out with fitness videos isn't really comparable to the movies from Movie Hangout - it's not the stuff on the screen that's new gameplay, but the animation for the Sim working out. Watching a movie reused TV animations and relied on TS3 for the material on the films, whereas there's new animation like jumps and dance moves that come with working out with the TV. I'm actually impressed at how much new animation is in this stuff pack.

The movies had new animations too for reactions...
    YAS!!

tumblr_ngussfyRMm1u6n38po1_500.gif
    I wonder what this is?

1orfXNz.png

mLH060y.png

@SimGuruGraham
  • PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    edited June 2017
    Jase wrote: »
    In my opinion, the climbing wall is a bit of a disappointment...
    Personally, I would've much preferred to have an exercise bike or pull up bar instead of another oversized object. Luckily, I really like the style of the new furniture and décor objects. So, I still plan on getting it.. just not nearly as excited as I was before the trailer.

@Jase If you want a pullup bar and are okay with mods, necrodog made one that I like to use.. I've tested it, it makes sims gain fitness, and it has animations that go with it, it is interactive. (: Find it at the bottom of this page: sims4studio.com/thread/7788/necrodogmtsands4s-studio?page=2&scrollTo=78401
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member

Is it?

Go watch the trailer again. The only people I saw watching TV and working out were using recycled dance animations, recycled animations from the Motion Gaming Rig, and maybe ONE slightly altered job animation. Honestly can't tell if that one was new or not. There's nothing new in what we were shown. To speculate they're "hiding" new animations is likewise ridiculous, because presumably if there's new content to show us, then of course they wanna show us. Why show us the recycled stuff and hide the supposed new ones? These very same trailers take special care to equip almost all sims with new clothing and hairstyles to show off as much as possible, but you mean to tell me these workout routines have been hidden from us as if they were nuclear launch codes or something...?

We're the customer. They want to make a sale, so they show us what they've got. When they don't show us, it probably means they don't want us to see. In this case, what we saw was recycled animations.

If you want to pay $10 for recycled animations and defend the idea this actually counts as a new animation, well...don't be surprised when future SPs continue to bleed out features.

THISSSS. Don't try to fool us with reused animations. We play the game. We'll know
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    @SimGuruGraham - Does a Sim going back and forth on a swingset really eat up more animation budget than the multiple exaggerated animations of the rock wall?

Yep, it sure does. Same goes for lounge chairs. Same goes for picnic blankets. Those are all objects that would require different Sim "postures" - which are essentially the base pose that we animate Sims from while using an object. These objects are also ones where we'd want Sims to be able to multitask with socialization, and a new posture would require a ton of animation work to support socializing. While supporting multitasking with socializing would be the bulk of the work, there are some other animation issues we'd need to solve for swings specifically that take it out of the realm of things we'd consider in a Stuff Pack.

Then how about adding a double seater porch swing and just use the love seat socializations. Maybe add cuddling.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    MrMonty96 wrote: »

Is it?

Go watch the trailer again. The only people I saw watching TV and working out were using recycled dance animations, recycled animations from the Motion Gaming Rig, and maybe ONE slightly altered job animation. Honestly can't tell if that one was new or not. There's nothing new in what we were shown. To speculate they're "hiding" new animations is likewise ridiculous, because presumably if there's new content to show us, then of course they wanna show us. Why show us the recycled stuff and hide the supposed new ones? These very same trailers take special care to equip almost all sims with new clothing and hairstyles to show off as much as possible, but you mean to tell me these workout routines have been hidden from us as if they were nuclear launch codes or something...?

We're the customer. They want to make a sale, so they show us what they've got. When they don't show us, it probably means they don't want us to see. In this case, what we saw was recycled animations.

If you want to pay $10 for recycled animations and defend the idea this actually counts as a new animation, well...don't be surprised when future SPs continue to bleed out features.

THISSSS. Don't try to fool us with reused animations. We play the game. We'll know

Apparently some of us won't lol, but I and others will. Like seriously, these are recycled. (cept maybe the one jogging in place, though we do have one very similar) Amazes me how much people will pay to receive the same feature again.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    I wonder what this is?

1orfXNz.png

mLH060y.png

@SimGuruGraham
    maybe a protein drink?

-probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    It may be one gameplay object, but it also has many features that more than make up for an extra gameplay object. I think earbuds and tv workout is more useful than an excercise bike for example. That might still come, but tv workout has been requested and was missing for a long time!