Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Ooh! @ADWilson What if you took that third ceiling in the living room and used the same colors and locations but apply them to the tile from the first - that is, let the tile be that solid color but with the star-shaped pattern for texture?
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Ooh! @ADWilson What if you took that third ceiling in the living room and used the same colors and locations but apply them to the tile from the first - that is, let the tile be that solid color but with the star-shaped pattern for texture?

If I understand what @creativemetaphor has suggested, then there is a 4th ceiling choice for @MiaSkywalker to look at. :)

No. 4
    Lx1FvP8.jpg
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited June 2017
    @ADWilson:
    For the fencing, I'd like to go with the first. I like the way the color brings out the pops of the lounges. I really like how that fence fits the whole feel so well. And you're right - it's low enough not to interfere with the view!

I love how you've done the basement. You've done several things I would never have thought of, and I really like it! (I notice you've got the gem cutter in its own room. I do that too! That way other Sims don't constantly run up to you and yell at you for using it. ;) )

Of those ceilings... Hm... I think I really like the second one the best. I can't say EXACTLY why, but I just do. :)

It's looking so gorgeous, Addy! I can't wait until it's done!

Edit: Correction! I like your fourth choice the best! This is what I get for not reading ALL posts, right? :lol:
    @ADWilson:
    For the fencing, I'd like to go with the first. I like the way the color brings out the pops of the lounges. I really like how that fence fits the whole feel so well. And you're right - it's low enough not to interfere with the view!

I love how you've done the basement. You've done several things I would never have thought of, and I really like it! (I notice you've got the gem cutter in its own room. I do that too! That way other Sims don't constantly run up to you and yell at you for using it. ;) )

Of those ceilings... Hm... I think I really like the second one the best. I can't say EXACTLY why, but I just do. :)

It's looking so gorgeous, Addy! I can't wait until it's done!

Edit: Correction! I like your fourth choice the best! This is what I get for not reading ALL posts, right? :lol:

We're getting there, @MiaSkywalker :)
    Incorporate your choices and then attention can be turned upstairs ... can't wait to see what we can come up with together!

Really? I wouldn't have thought this basement would include anything you've not tried ... I feel like y'all are much more advanced in your building skills than I am, but I've been paying attention and have learned a few nifty tips & tricks to use from here on out.

Oh my yes, I dislike it when the gem cutting bothers other sims and figured a "soundproof" room might solve this issue. **fingers crossed**

Like you, I was considering the 2nd ceiling choice until the 4th one came together. Thanks again, @creativemetaphor :smiley:
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    lol! @ADWilson my pleasure!

Now - this gem cutter... what is this strange and wonderful device you have? Where does it come from?
    edited June 2017
    ADWilson wrote: »

We're getting there, @MiaSkywalker :)
    Incorporate your choices and then attention can be turned upstairs ... can't wait to see what we can come up with together!

Really? I wouldn't have thought this basement would include anything you've not tried ... I feel like y'all are much more advanced in your building skills than I am, but I've been paying attention and have learned a few nifty tips & tricks to use from here on out.
    Well, there was something it looks like you MOOd onto the counter next to the alchemy cabinet. Not sure what it is, but it looks intriguing. There are many times I simply don't think about MOOing things to get something else, and I really ought to experiment a bit more often.
    Oh my yes, I dislike it when the gem cutting bothers other sims and figured a "soundproof" room might solve this issue. **fingers crossed**
    It does, although I will admit that I've modded the XML for the gem cutting machine to make it so that a Sim must be within one square of it to be bothered by it. I've done that with the XML for the Miner invention, as well. I probably really SHOULD remove all of those tweak XMLs when I test my builds; that way I can see what a Sim's reactions would be without them, for anyone else's game.
    Like you, I was considering the 2nd ceiling choice until the 4th one came together. Thanks again, @creativemetaphor :smiley:
    Oh! You included those drapery things from the ceiling when you made that final change, and I just loved that! It made it look all tenty from the inside. :) Are those part of that particular lamp, or are they individual items?
    Now - this gem cutter... what is this strange and wonderful device you have? Where does it come from?
    Supah-natural! Which means you now have it. It costs $1000, I believe, under Hobbies and Skills, but it more than makes up for its cost in the savings you get for cutting gems. For one thing, if you unlock the heart cut before you actually cut anything, you can use that cut exclusively, and you don't have to worry about cut cost per value of gem.

Also, any time you cut a gem you get gem dust. When making potions through the alchemy station, some of the potions require a gem as a component. Gem dust works just as well as any other gem, and since you get them for free when cutting gems, why not?

Btw, there's an achievement associated with using that cutter. You have to cut each gem cut at least once to get it. That includes wasting a gem by cutting "gem dust". I think it also includes getting a skull cut through the transmogrifier. Yes, it is a pain to get!

Btw, the gem cutter cuts a "stack" of gems. So if you want to use it to get that achievement, I would just have single uncut gems (not stacks) in your inventory to get the cheaper cuts for it.
    Well, there was something it looks like you MOOd onto the counter next to the alchemy cabinet. Not sure what it is, but it looks intriguing. There are many times I simply don't think about MOOing things to get something else, and I really ought to experiment a bit more often.

No MOO magic here. I placed a Bug Lovers Display Case on each end of the Aleister's Alchemy Cabinet, then colored them using the same stone palette.
    It does, although I will admit that I've modded the XML for the gem cutting machine to make it so that a Sim must be within one square of it to be bothered by it. I've done that with the XML for the Miner invention, as well. I probably really SHOULD remove all of those tweak XMLs when I test my builds; that way I can see what a Sim's reactions would be without them, for anyone else's game.

Those sound like very handy mods indeed!
    Would you believe that I've never used the miner invention (could be because I rarely bother with the inventing skill) ?!
    I seem to recall taking out my earphones when a sim needed to use the Gem Cutter. :lol:
    Oh! You included those drapery things from the ceiling when you made that final change, and I just loved that! It made it look all tenty from the inside. :) Are those part of that particular lamp, or are they individual items?

Thumbnail_300x300.png
    The Dual Hanging Lights have always been in this room, but previous screenshots didn't show it.
    @MiaSkywalker
    Here are a few screenshots to give you a better idea of the downstairs ceiling ...
    Which set do you prefer?

First Set
    y1V1cKl.jpg
    avjPfPL.jpg

Second Set
    LMncLYf.jpg
    SNkqpOs.jpg
    Thumbnail_300x300.png
    The Dual Hanging Lights have always been in this room, but previous screenshots didn't show it.
    Would you believe I've never used those lights before? I don't think I knew what they looked like from the preview. They work so well here!

Those sound like very handy mods indeed!
    Would you believe that I've never used the miner invention (could be because I rarely bother with the inventing skill) ?!
    I seem to recall taking out my earphones when a sim needed to use the Gem Cutter. :lol:
    Yeah, whenever something in the game bugs me, I go about trying to figure out what XML controls that behavior, so I can change it. Sometimes I can't find it because it has been given a strange name, and sometimes it's controlled by a DMTR file or some such, so I can't touch it. When I can find it, I tweak it around and make sure it doesn't break the game, and then use it forever. I have... a lot of different XMLs I've modified this way. Ironically, I think I've only posted about half a dozen to MTS, and I have about 10x that number of them in my own game. Some of them it's because someone already has a similar mod, and sometimes it's just because I'm not sure anyone else would find it useful.

Among other things, I've gotten rid of fleas, gotten rid of the "tastes like fridge" moodlet, prevented the dog dig spots from spawning, prevented the auto-spawning venues (why have them auto-spawn, when you can place the ones that you want?), gotten rid of autonomous playing with sprinklers, made it so my Sims won't autonomously answer their phone when it rings, made it so the burglar doesn't come to my house (I don't like putting burglar alarms in medieval houses), stopped pets from over-reacting to supernatural Sims, stopped Sims from autonomously heckling babies (why?!?), made babysitters act a bit more like they're actually taking care of the kids (by staying in the same room more often), stopped townies from interrupting my Sim's queue to ask for autographs and cell phone pictures (although, now that we can turn off celebrities, that one is moot), and... other things.

Every so often I scroll through the game's gameplay data file, and see if there are any XMLs that I might want to tweak, just 'cause. What can I say? I've always liked hacking my games, and Sims is perfect for it. :)
    Yeah, whenever something in the game bugs me, I go about trying to figure out what XML controls that behavior, so I can change it. Sometimes I can't find it because it has been given a strange name, and sometimes it's controlled by a DMTR file or some such, so I can't touch it. When I can find it, I tweak it around and make sure it doesn't break the game, and then use it forever. I have... a lot of different XMLs I've modified this way. Ironically, I think I've only posted about half a dozen to MTS, and I have about 10x that number of them in my own game. Some of them it's because someone already has a similar mod, and sometimes it's just because I'm not sure anyone else would find it useful.

Among other things, I've gotten rid of fleas, gotten rid of the "tastes like fridge" moodlet, prevented the dog dig spots from spawning, prevented the auto-spawning venues (why have them auto-spawn, when you can place the ones that you want?), gotten rid of autonomous playing with sprinklers, made it so my Sims won't autonomously answer their phone when it rings, made it so the burglar doesn't come to my house (I don't like putting burglar alarms in medieval houses), stopped pets from over-reacting to supernatural Sims, stopped Sims from autonomously heckling babies (why?!?), made babysitters act a bit more like they're actually taking care of the kids (by staying in the same room more often), stopped townies from interrupting my Sim's queue to ask for autographs and cell phone pictures (although, now that we can turn off celebrities, that one is moot), and... other things.

Every so often I scroll through the game's gameplay data file, and see if there are any XMLs that I might want to tweak, just 'cause. What can I say? I've always liked hacking my games, and Sims is perfect for it. :)

Wow! Very useful ones indeed!!!
    @Kgaff: I've worked on my build for you a bit in the past few days, but have only had a few hours to do so each day. I think I've followed your suggestions, although I may have missed one or two. I'll post pictures of everything tomorrow. If you want anything modified, removed, added, etc., don't hesitate to let me know. Right now it's 2am, and I think I'm going to go to bed. :)
    edited June 2017
    @MiaSkywalker

You might not have seen my post regarding the downstairs ceilings, but go HERE & you'll see that there are two choices for the overall pattern. Which do you like best?

And, here's a sneak peek of the upstairs ...
    Overview
    ymQfw8e.jpg

Bedroom
    rD5b1hx.jpg
    MfhsGjx.jpg
    CqT1asB.jpg
    hqKJABg.jpg

The balconies outside the bedroom have an Easel on one and a Telescope on the other
    b66jaS9.jpg

Walk-In Closet
    dU9DFri.jpg
    T06V2UK.jpg
    8YVvfqj.jpg

Bathroom
    jSnyAvc.jpg
    dxD2vAu.jpg

Sauna
    Has a walk-in shower
    iLpw4X8.jpg

Also has a bit of extra space & I wasn't sure what to put there, if anything
    bnCvUUP.jpg

The balcony outside the sauna has additional seating to enjoy the views
    Y1xViLd.jpg

Let me know what you like or don't like and we can go from there!

ETA: Testing done! Do you want my handy sim to upgrade anything or leave it for yours to do?
    Post edited by ADWilson on
    edited June 2017
    @ADWilson:
    You're right, I missed the question about the ceilings. First set, I think. And it's all gorgeous. Go ahead and leave it empty, if you can't think of anything. It can always be filled later as I play, if I need it. :)

No, don't upgrade anything. I always like to have my Sims do that, to improve spellcasting or their own handiness. It forces them to work a bit. :lol:
    edited June 2017
    @Kgaff:
    Pictures of the house as it is now. I'm giving you full views of all of the rooms, upstairs and downstairs. Please ignore anything outside, as I haven't started that yet. At this point I feel like the inside of the house is done, barring deco, artwork, and rugs, unless there is something you're not happy with or want changed. I'm thinking I want a round rug in the study, and maybe a rug in the master bedroom, the family room upstairs, and the little girl's play room. Maybe something in the area that leads to both the laundry room and the front porch.

Are the rugs I've created for various rooms OK with you? Would you prefer patterns - like the flowers, or maybe geometric patterns - or the textures like I've done on many of them? Or would you prefer more of a woven look to them?

Are the floors in the kitchen and master bathroom OK with you? If you want anything changed, just let me know.

Final picture is of a bunch of playground toys for the little girl. Which one(s) would you prefer I use for her? Are any specific recolors preferred for you?

Also, would you like a swimming pool in the backyard, or a flower garden, or a hot tub, or anything specific? You asked for a small (5x5) garden, and I know you want several dogs. I believe you said there might be three or four at a time, so I'll put in four dog houses for you. Should I create a small sort of open shed for those pet houses, to keep them protected from snow in winter?

Edit: Added two more pictures at the end. Do you like either of these styles for the master bedroom rug?
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Very pretty, Addy!

Ditto, @creativemetaphor! (I was going to say the same and was just waiting until the final presentations.)

Oh I posted more pics with my legacy sims in your house, Addy, if you are curious.

https://iamciane.wordpress.com/legacy/random-legacy/gen4/more-growing
    edited June 2017
    @MiaSkywalker
    We're done! It's easy to say we because after much discussion (and discarding a number of less-than-ideal ideas!) an Egyptian vacation home was decided upon. Armed with your very helpful list of want/don't want and a single exterior image for inspiration, graph paper was grabbed and the work commenced.

It turned out pretty well. :smile:

Front_zpsvhmtyqfq.jpg

Pr-Mia means house of Mia and is meant to be placed at 50 West Riverview Place in Al Simhara, Egypt.
    This 1 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom beauty is heavily decorated with items from India Inspirations, Kingdom of Cambodia & Morocco Mystique. May your adventurous witch enjoy this relaxing and comfortable "home away from home".

Download ~ HERE ~
    No CAP or 3PCC!
    Custard Checked, clean!

Pictures Galore!!!
    Exterior
    The front of the house
    Front_zpsvhmtyqfq.jpg

Porch near the front door
    Front1_zpsemp1snqb.jpg
    Front2_zps5trcdhqu.jpg

Porch off to the side
    Front3_zpsp6yvjlpp.jpg

Left side of the house
    L%20Side_zpsxj0iu5as.jpg

Right side of the house
    R%20Side_zpsclhe7wek.jpg

Backyard
    Backyard_zpsolrkvfue.jpg
    Backyard2_zpsh7xdpex0.jpg
    Backyard1_zpsw3mmqywm.jpg
    Backyard3_zpsfwl5i7js.jpg

The exterior steps lead down to the basement level.

Basement
    Overview
    Basement20Overview_zpst9worgbm.jpg

Preparation and Storage Areas
    Basement1_zpswkkm1mjk.jpg
    Basement2_zpsusxm0wi5.jpg

Door nearest the stairs leads to an area for mixing elixirs
    Basement3_zpsy5tbba1g.jpg

The other door leads to a quieter spot for cutting gems
    Basement4_zpsyeydbmha.jpg

Leaving the basement, we'll tour the house starting at the front door.

Interior ~ Main Floor
    Overview
    Downstairs20Overview_zps6kkysb8w.jpg

Living Room
    Living1_zpsqgrrqdgr.jpg
    Living2_zpswd9vftzd.jpg
    Living3_zpsr1ozdf4v.jpg

A Half Bath is nestled between the book nooks.
    Half%20Bath_zpsrctvjqdc.jpg

Kitchen/Dining
    Eating1_zps7q1df5ax.jpg
    Eating2_zpstlhq2unj.jpg
    The single door leads to the backyard and the double door leads to the hot tub.

Hot Tub
    Hot%20Tub_zpsgihoetlz.jpg
    Hot%20Tub2_zps2bgt68mp.jpg

Time to head upstairs.

Interior ~ Upstairs
    Overview
    Upstairs20Overview_zpsonbsypeh.jpg

Bedroom
    Bedroom1_zpswolqkkpq.jpg
    Bedroom4_zpsv5olxmnd.jpg
    Bedroom3_zpsmmrtuq3i.jpg
    Bedroom2_zpsouhxyvuf.jpg

The mini-balconies outside the bedroom
    Bedroom%20Balcony_zpsrveyoqye.jpg

The door nearest the stairs leads to a Walk-In Closet
    WIC1_zpsd0jh2968.jpg
    WIC2_zpsgnre4vbu.jpg

The door on the other side of the bed leads to the Bathroom
    Bathroom1_zpsmbglhwu1.jpg
    Bathroom2_zpsy9xiluw1.jpg

The door nearest the massage table leads to the Sauna
    Sauna_zps95uxavsh.jpg
    Includes a walk-in shower

The mini-balcony outside the sauna
    Sauna%20Balcony_zpsaz4k56wd.jpg

Plenty of space on the rooftop for additional activities, once access has been provided
    Roof%20Overview_zpsqtixgume.jpg
    Or
    Keep your feet firmly on the ground and enjoy the peaceful, relaxing views
    View_zpsbx2hmp10.jpg

Enjoy!
    Post edited by ADWilson on
  • bmit04bmit04 Posts: 57 Member
    Love it Addy!
    bmit04 wrote: »
    Love it Addy!

Thank YOU :smiley:
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @Kgaff:
    Pictures of the house as it is now. I'm giving you full views of all of the rooms, upstairs and downstairs. Please ignore anything outside, as I haven't started that yet. At this point I feel like the inside of the house is done, barring deco, artwork, and rugs, unless there is something you're not happy with or want changed. I'm thinking I want a round rug in the study, and maybe a rug in the master bedroom, the family room upstairs, and the little girl's play room. Maybe something in the area that leads to both the laundry room and the front porch.

Are the rugs I've created for various rooms OK with you? Would you prefer patterns - like the flowers, or maybe geometric patterns - or the textures like I've done on many of them? Or would you prefer more of a woven look to them?

Are the floors in the kitchen and master bathroom OK with you? If you want anything changed, just let me know.

Final picture is of a bunch of playground toys for the little girl. Which one(s) would you prefer I use for her? Are any specific recolors preferred for you?

Also, would you like a swimming pool in the backyard, or a flower garden, or a hot tub, or anything specific? You asked for a small (5x5) garden, and I know you want several dogs. I believe you said there might be three or four at a time, so I'll put in four dog houses for you. Should I create a small sort of open shed for those pet houses, to keep them protected from snow in winter?

Edit: Added two more pictures at the end. Do you like either of these styles for the master bedroom rug?

It's really good Mia! I really don't think it needs much more inside. The rugs and decor you have now is enough for me. :)

All the floors and walls look great and I like the color coordination with the blues and greens.

The first rug for the master bedroom is my fav.

Outside...maybe a teeter totter, swing and a tree house with a few trees scattered about. The small garden and a bbq area with picnic table would be good. Don't bother with a swimming pool or spa. Those I could add if my sims want them.

An open shed for the dogs would be nice, you could put the dog houses inside that. :)
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    For @KaytayRoall

It's ready to move into! I present

Nui Kahakai Ranch
    2 Cove Road
    Sunlit Tides

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9095336

Translated it means Big Beach Ranch and it is right on a big beach in Sunlit Tides. Built for you in the Round Robin Build Exchange this ranch has 4 horse stalls and a race training track. The house is two bedrooms, two baths with a large kitchen, dining room and living room. There is also a bonus game room.

Screenshot-88_zpsjec5y2rz.jpg
    Screenshot-66_zpssqg8gg50.jpg

Floor plans
    Screenshot-128_zps4ey716ui.jpg
    Screenshot-131_zpsjof5gvqa.jpg

Walk around the outside
    rear%20of%20house_zpsv01oq5td.jpg
    Screenshot-90_zpsv6dy6bmr.jpg
    Screenshot-91_zps9wxzgspf.jpg
    Screenshot-89_zpscprqtw9i.jpg

The Barn
    barn_zpsqkbwt2kj.jpg

tack%20room_zpsvt4czxf3.jpg

Screenshot-37_zpse88sxwl8.jpg

Screenshot-36_zpsa9nd8dkk.jpg

Inside
    living_zpsggebgrix.jpg

Kitchen_zpswem2sawo.jpg

dining_zps14waubx3.jpg

games_zps15ir767l.jpg

master_zps3dmr61pm.jpg

bedroom%202_zpssegby808.jpg

I hope I got close to what you wanted and you and your horses enjoy it. It was fun to build it for you :)

• BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    Ok I'm here lurking and catching up on all theses wonderful an very talented creators! Amazing everyone!
    @ADWilson:
    *squeeeee!* Yes, you heard me squee! (And I don't do that often, I tell ya.) That is absolutely the perfect house! I <3 it! Usually when I download a lot, I change at least a few things, but in this one... nothing will need to be changed at all! It's absolutely, positively, gorgeous, and with everything I love my Sims to have. :)

The colors are perfect. The soft lavender and green in the bedroom, and the soft red, peach, and white downstairs.

I love the little details, like all the plants around the hot tub that match it so well. The wildflower on the table. The fountain effects. The gazebo. Everything!

I love you to death for making this for me! <3
    @Kgaff:
    What a wonderful ranch house you've made! Four horses - wow! I think my absolute favorite part is the race track around the pond. It's just so cool! :)
    edited June 2017
    Kgaff wrote: »
    It's really good Mia! I really don't think it needs much more inside. The rugs and decor you have now is enough for me. :)

All the floors and walls look great and I like the color coordination with the blues and greens.

The first rug for the master bedroom is my fav.

Outside...maybe a teeter totter, swing and a tree house with a few trees scattered about. The small garden and a bbq area with picnic table would be good. Don't bother with a swimming pool or spa. Those I could add if my sims want them.

An open shed for the dogs would be nice, you could put the dog houses inside that. :)
    Looks like mine will be the last one, this time. :neutral:

Wellll... I already did add a few more rugs. :p You can always delete any you don't want, though, since I don't remember which ones I added last. (Easier to delete than to add, at least.) And I added curtains, which it hadn't had when I made the pictures. I used the ones you like on all of the narrow windows, but recolored them a little differently.

Ok, so just a few playground things, make it a bit wild looking, and a BBQ area. I've already added the garden area, but... you may not need to actually garden with some of the things in the house. ;) (Ask Ciane what I mean, if you're curious. :smirk: ) All I can say is... you might want to have your Sims explore. :)

My Sim gets the "beautifully decorated" moodlet everywhere in the house, so that's a nice buff your Sims should get.

Oh, I don't know if I've asked you already. Did you want anything upgraded? I've already upgraded both fireplaces to fireproof (that's pretty much a duh, since otherwise I always seem to have disasters), and the stove to improved food quality. (The stove was apparently already fireproof.)

I've let the game run for several game days (about a week, I think) with my Sim on static motives, but I didn't see any depreciation in anything. Right now it costs ~$126K. It will be a little higher when I'm done with the yard, but probably not too much.

Oh! One more question, I keep forgetting to ask. When I do the landscaping around the house, would you like any potted plants in the front, or would you prefer planted? Also, any particular colors of flowers around the house, or a mix, or would you prefer just non-flowering bushes? Or maybe a combination flowering and non-flowering? And would you prefer them to look somewhat wild, or like they've been carefully kept up?

Ok, I guess that was more than just "one more question". :p I suppose it's all relative.

Edit: Oh! Yet another question: Would you like the area for the dogs to be fenced in, or would you rather allow them to roam freely throughout the neighborhood? (I've noticed that pets will do that if you don't fence them in.)
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on