Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things that still annoy me about this game

So, maybe some of you you know me as one of the sims 4 players that try to defend TS4 against as much critism as possible, but there are some things that too annoy me that I want to share with you, hoping that the devs could see it and do something about these points, because they're already known issues many players have with the game. I will only list issues that are possible to be changed and/or fixed, because it wouldn't make much sence if I would rant about loading screens everytime you want to go to another lot, because it is something I'm pretty sure can't be changed at this state :)
So here are the things that still annoy me about the game:
    Simulation Lag: It's so annoying when I want to go back to speed 1 after I had speed 3 activated, only to wait because it doesn't want to switch over immediately (It's called "simulation lag", isn't it? I'm not sure) I hope you know what I mean, or when I cancel autonomous actions only to wait until it is really cancelled. Best example: My sim wants to talk to someone on the other side of the lot. I cancel the action before my sim actually walks to them, but they still run to the sim they wanted to talk to. The action isn't in the queue anymore, but the sim still runs to the other. God, it's so annoying!
    Bugs that still aren't fixed: What's so difficult to finally fix the massive problems with the GTW careers. The detective career isn't playable for many players, the same goes for the doctor career. There are still sims that reset as soon as I want them to talk to others while they are sitting on these park benches. I have a bad guess that some of these bugs never get fixed like many issues with TS3 like the world Isla Paradiso with its routing issues, or the firefighter career that was unplayable for me until the very end. Don't do the same mistakes, developers, don't patch new features in all the time, fix rather the bugs than bring more to the game. I think everyone thinks the same.
    The text message feature is a mess: I think every player had atleast once the problem that kids get invited to nightclubs or they are invited to a date by much older sims, or that sims are asked to celebrate their promotion even though they don't even have a job. Or that adults are asked by kids or teens to skip school. I mean, seriously? Don't get me wrong, I personally like this feature very much, but due to the fact that there are issues like I described it seems so random and not really thought-out. Another thing that bugs me is the frequency of these invitations. I would like a fix where npcs don't call sims while they sleep or are at work or school (exception would be the skip-school message). I like some of these invitations very much and would like my sims to accept it, but these invitations always come in the most inappropriate times that I always need to decline them because my sims need to sleep, eat etc.
    The emotional buffs and traits: I never really was a fan of the emotion system, I personally find it unnessary, but now we have it in the game and I need to live with it. But what I hate, hate, hate about it is the fact that traits we give our sims simply don't matter anymore, because the emotions overwrite everything. For example, we have a sim that is a bookworm, and we have an active sim. When they are in a fine mood, they will have whims that correspond with their traits, the bookworm will have a whim to read a book, while they acitve sim may want to do exercise. Now, when these two sims go in a decorated room, they will get the "nicely decorated" moodlet, which will give them a happy +1 moodlet. Both will get happy. Both will have a whim to hug someone or something like that. They will both want to become social, even though one of them may have the loner trait. It bugs me some much and I notice the lack of actual meaning behind the traits when I play TS3. I don't want to compare these two games all the time, but traits in TS3 actually mean something, while in TS4, they are overwritten by the emotion the sim has at the moment. My request: atleast remove the +happy moodlet for nicely decorated rooms, it so unnecassary. And please tweak the emotional buffs and let them actually mean something. When a family member of my sim died right in front of them, they shouldn't become happy because their room has pretty decoration, even though it's just a change for the mourning moodlet, change it to a +10 sad moodlet that can't normally be overwritten by any other emotion.
    Facial expressions: I saw a whole thread about the "happy" expressions of the sims in this forum sections, and it's something I agree with 100%. The smiles of the sims are too much that it just looks fake and creepy. No one that is happy is smiling like that. I currently use a mod that overwrites this expression and it looks much more natural, but it would be nice if it would be fixed by the devs themselves.

Soo, that was everything that annoys me about this game currently, write down what you think about it, if you agree or not, and what you would also like to be improved that wasn't in my list. Just rant here about things that annoy you ;)
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
      The constant notifications and having to clear the wall!
      Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    • ArianaMRArianaMR Posts: 38 Member
      I hate the way traits are done in this game too. I hate it when I'm like trying to tell a story but the sims do things that have nothing to do with their personalities because of their current emotion.
    • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
      Huiiie_07 wrote: »
      So, maybe some of you you know me as one of the sims 4 players that try to defend TS4 against as much critism as possible, but there are some things that too annoy me that I want to share with you, hoping that the devs could see it and do something about these points, because they're already known issues many players have with the game. I will only list issues that are possible to be changed and/or fixed, because it wouldn't make much sence if I would rant about loading screens everytime you want to go to another lot, because it is something I'm pretty sure can't be changed at this state :)
      So here are the things that still annoy me about the game:
        Simulation Lag: It's so annoying when I want to go back to speed 1 after I had speed 3 activated, only to wait because it doesn't want to switch over immediately (It's called "simulation lag", isn't it? I'm not sure) I hope you know what I mean, or when I cancel autonomous actions only to wait until it is really cancelled. Best example: My sim wants to talk to someone on the other side of the lot. I cancel the action before my sim actually walks to them, but they still run to the sim they wanted to talk to. The action isn't in the queue anymore, but the sim still runs to the other. God, it's so annoying!
        Bugs that still aren't fixed: What's so difficult to finally fix the massive problems with the GTW careers. The detective career isn't playable for many players, the same goes for the doctor career. There are still sims that reset as soon as I want them to talk to others while they are sitting on these park benches. I have a bad guess that some of these bugs never get fixed like many issues with TS3 like the world Isla Paradiso with its routing issues, or the firefighter career that was unplayable for me until the very end. Don't do the same mistakes, developers, don't patch new features in all the time, fix rather the bugs than bring more to the game. I think everyone thinks the same.
        The text message feature is a mess: I think every player had atleast once the problem that kids get invited to nightclubs or they are invited to a date by much older sims, or that sims are asked to celebrate their promotion even though they don't even have a job. Or that adults are asked by kids or teens to skip school. I mean, seriously? Don't get me wrong, I personally like this feature very much, but due to the fact that there are issues like I described it seems so random and not really thought-out. Another thing that bugs me is the frequency of these invitations. I would like a fix where npcs don't call sims while they sleep or are at work or school (exception would be the skip-school message). I like some of these invitations very much and would like my sims to accept it, but these invitations always come in the most inappropriate times that I always need to decline them because my sims need to sleep, eat etc.
        The emotional buffs and traits: I never really was a fan of the emotion system, I personally find it unnessary, but now we have it in the game and I need to live with it. But what I hate, hate, hate about it is the fact that traits we give our sims simply don't matter anymore, because the emotions overwrite everything. For example, we have a sim that is a bookworm, and we have an active sim. When they are in a fine mood, they will have whims that correspond with their traits, the bookworm will have a whim to read a book, while they acitve sim may want to do exercise. Now, when these two sims go in a decorated room, they will get the "nicely decorated" moodlet, which will give them a happy +1 moodlet. Both will get happy. Both will have a whim to hug someone or something like that. They will both want to become social, even though one of them may have the loner trait. It bugs me some much and I notice the lack of actual meaning behind the traits when I play TS3. I don't want to compare these two games all the time, but traits in TS3 actually mean something, while in TS4, they are overwritten by the emotion the sim has at the moment. My request: atleast remove the +happy moodlet for nicely decorated rooms, it so unnecassary. And please tweak the emotional buffs and let them actually mean something. When a family member of my sim died right in front of them, they shouldn't become happy because their room has pretty decoration, even though it's just a change for the mourning moodlet, change it to a +10 sad moodlet that can't normally be overwritten by any other emotion.
        Facial expressions: I saw a whole thread about the "happy" expressions of the sims in this forum sections, and it's something I agree with 100%. The smiles of the sims are too much that it just looks fake and creepy. No one that is happy is smiling like that. I currently use a mod that overwrites this expression and it looks much more natural, but it would be nice if it would be fixed by the devs themselves.

Soo, that was everything that annoys me about this game currently, write down what you think about it, if you agree or not, and what you would also like to be improved that wasn't in my list. Just rant here about things that annoy you ;)

I love this game too, and also agree with you on everything you've listed.

The things that bother me the most are the big bugs (I still haven't touched the Detective career nor managed a restaurant because of these) and the environmental buffs overriding other buffs. As I have mentioned in several other threads, I do use a mod to override these environmental buffs and I honestly don't know what my experience of TS4 would be like without the mod.
      • AnduarAnduar Posts: 156 Member
        I was looking at my main sims stats he, is an elder i've had since YAhood(self-assured/foodie/neat), has trait related emotions 200 or so times, non trait related emotions in the double digits, and it's like the happy and uncomfortable moodlets have ... no baseline whatsoever and they're around 1k+

I also don't like how emotions just aren't specific at all. My sims has the foodie trait, but when he's inspired (not from cooking) he wants to paint! He has no painting skill. Why wouldn't he just get the whim to cook?
        There can be 1, plate in a room and my sim will get the uncomfortable moodlet until it's gone. That might be because of the neat trait but it's still overkill, honestly.
        I have yet to feel like emotions were a well implemented system.
        Atleast take away all the happy/uncomfortable moodlets there seem to be so many, and they're so easy to get.

I have an issue with the happy smile too, the portrait smile is great, but the actual sim smile is weird. My sims eyes are hooded so it looks he has a lazy eye. Its not an issue on a larger eyed person. They really didn't take different eye shapes into account with this. Sometimes my sims are cheesing so hard their eyes are basically closed.
      • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
        @Mariefoxprice83 That's something I'm also annoyed about, even though we're not forced to clear the wall, I always forget it anyway. What does annoy me is that I get a notification about every single screenshot I take. Yes, I know that my screenshots are saved after I've taken them, you don't need to tell me everytime! Geez :D

There's another thing that annoys me that I forgot to mention in my op - sims constantly want to socialize. I have a sim who is a loner, but as soon as she grabs a plate from the fridge she walks over to her sister (their relationship is deep in the red by the way) to sit next to her to eat. This doesn't make any sense at all, the game should recognize her as a loner sim who should want to eat alone :(

I like to build stuff
      • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
        If I could I'd turn off the notifications for 90% of stuff. It's handy for promotions and also generally for the doctor career but otherwise I don't find much use for it.
        Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
      • ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
        I have two bugbears at the moment.

Sims getting on top of each other to eat. One of my Sims went in to sit on her grandfather's (double) bed whilst he was asleep over the other side. As she was chomping other members of the family piled in to eat and talk.

I've solved the issue by making all Sims permanently lock their bedroom doors and if there are two occupants of a bedroom then that room has a door for each of them.

That solution shouldn't be necessary, but I've found the problem exists in every household I've played even when the Sims aren't related or close to each other.

Books. Skill books in particular. It would be easier if Sims couldn't read a skill book more than once. It's especially confusing when the term 're-read' is being used for a book that the Sim hasn't finished yet. 'Continue reading' would be the correct term.

This is the second time in the last couple of days that I've whinged about the books but it's just been driving me nuts with the household I was playing.
        Don't feed the trolls
      • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
        Whatever happened to eating at the kitchen/dining room table & skill study by topic? Sims2 has both of those nailed down solid, preventing both of those issues. Quite in agreement on the emotions mess. Yes people have emotions, but they flow out of their traits.
      • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
        I honestly hadn't experienced simulation lag until I played on a laptop for a bit where it was incredibly obvious. Going back to my desktop I noticed it was a problem there too, although less obvious than on the laptop.

Idk why this game has such a severe issue - and yes I consider it to be severe. Going from no lag to guaranteed lag (on the laptop) is a warning sign from the past. This same laptop plays Sims 3 just fine, minimal lag compared to Sims 4 (after my in game clock kept reverting to 2:14AM I rage quit and booted up Sims 3). I find that hilarious, and sad at the same time. The unfixed bugs in GTW unfortunately will probably stay that way for the remainder of time. At least, based on their track record with Sims 3 it would suggest that it won't be fixed.

I cannot stand the texting pop ups, or all the invites. I wish there was a way to turn it off because it is incredibly annoying. Whats even more annoying? That they built in a vampire tutorial using the cell phone, one that you can't even turn off. Who...? Why? GT added the worst offenders "there's a raging party at the bluffs!!! Come on!" At 4:30A sim time and the invite is going to a child. How is that for a badly designed feature?

I don't really care for the emotions either. They are all cookie cutter and exactly the same for every sim. Same in regards to personalities, which are very generic and largely the same for ever sim I encounter/create.
      • Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member

Hallelujah to this. It drives me bananas.
        ▼add/follow▼
        ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
        ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
        ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
        ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
      • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
        Nomiko13 wrote: »

Hallelujah to this. It drives me bananas.
        I don't understand that message. I have no idea what the game wants from me... Can anyone explain?
        5JZ57S6.png
      • Elizabeth94803Elizabeth94803 Posts: 33 Member
        The thing that bothers me is that I am unable to go to school with the kids
      • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
        Anduar wrote: »
        I was looking at my main sims stats he, is an elder i've had since YAhood(self-assured/foodie/neat), has trait related emotions 200 or so times, non trait related emotions in the double digits, and it's like the happy and uncomfortable moodlets have ... no baseline whatsoever and they're around 1k+

I also don't like how emotions just aren't specific at all. My sims has the foodie trait, but when he's inspired (not from cooking) he wants to paint! He has no painting skill. Why wouldn't he just get the whim to cook?
        There can be 1, plate in a room and my sim will get the uncomfortable moodlet until it's gone. That might be because of the neat trait but it's still overkill, honestly.
        Atleast take away all the happy/uncomfortable moodlets there seem to be so many, and they're so easy to get.

I have an issue with the happy smile too, the portrait smile is great, but the actual sim smile is weird. My sims eyes are hooded so it looks he has a lazy eye. Its not an issue on a larger eyed person. They really didn't take different eye shapes into account with this. Sometimes my sims are cheesing so hard their eyes are basically closed.

Anduar wrote: »

This solution is quietly brilliant in it's simplicity. A simple nerf? Why haven't I seen this suggeted more often?
        Seems like the type of fix that they could implement in a week.

All they would have to do is identify key life events (posiitve and negative) and set those aside.
        Whatever's left after compiling the key list? Nerf that pile in roughly half..
        Make it twice or maybe even three times more difficult to trigger an emotional state either positive or negative.

Once engaged make it twice or three times more difficult to get the Sim out of that emotional state (be it positive or negative) for the alotted time period.
        The key life events would be treated on a case by case basis and optimized accordingly, meaning they would have to create special conditions to assure you never have a situation where a Sim can be easily taken out of the mourning state before the alloted time...this should be very very difficult...so these types of things should get special coding.

The net effect would be that your Sim would spend the bulk of their time "fine" but when an emotion driven state does kick in...it has a more dramatic impact both on the Sim and the player, creating both a sense of surpise and urgency.

To top it off they could make changes to the UI reflecting this massive nerf by hiding the large Avatar on the lower left and bringing it out only..when a Sim achieves one of these states. This way a Sim being just "fine" isn't percieved in a negative way, and when their portrait does pop up it's more likely to stir the player to some type of action.

Gotta tottally agree with you on this one..a simple nerf would go a long way to not only fixing the problem but it would make for a more exciting and dynamic game.
      • KatieVapezz97KatieVapezz97 Posts: 36 Member
        @Mariefoxprice83 said:
        > The constant notifications and having to clear the wall!

Yes! I also agree with this! I hate having to constantly clear my notifications.
      • ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member

Please tell me what's the name of the mod? Those derpy smiles drives me crazy too xD
      • FredcatFredcat Posts: 52 Member
        I agree with everything you listed. This game has improved since launch but is still way inferior to Sims3 in almost every way other then graphics.
      • kristal2424kristal2424 Posts: 131 Member
        babies not allowed to leave bassinet
      • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
        @KatieVapezz97 hello, you don't have to clear the wall. The notifications will be cleared autonomously after the limit of 200.
        -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
      • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
        I hate one thing. I really hate when I cancel a task and sims keep doing that task! This drives me very very nuts, flarn!
        -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
      • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
        Toreshinbo wrote: »

Please tell me what's the name of the mod? Those derpy smiles drives me crazy too xD

@Toreshinbo you can find the mod here: modthesims.info/d/574482

Don't know if it still works after the latest update though, because I didn't pay much attention to it when I last played, to be honest.

I like to build stuff
      • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
        I really wish they fix the traits and whims. Both need a complete overhaul. Looking forward to seeing, if the character value traits will be better. Traits from newer packs are a lot better. But I think they could do more. Furthermore, whims are just sad. Why can't we have wishes like Sims 2 had. They were so specific and perfect!
      • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
        I agree with the original poster. In fact I agree with everyone here.

To add to my own things that annoy me in addition to already mentioned, my bug bears are sadly not bugs but intentional. I hate how limited romance is in comparison to previous games. Sims can only do certain romance interactions in certain places. For example make out must be done sat down but in previous games we had no restrictions. The kisses themselves don't really fit their description. A make out just seems to be quite tame compared to again previous games. The last one that bugs me and probably always will is the high five before woohoo. Just why?!
      • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
        CK213 wrote: »
        I agree with you about traits and emotions.
        Putting%20emotions%20before%20personality.jpg

Yeah. The Horse (personality) does feel like have the potential, but the cart (emotions) just ruins and confines the animal to reach their fulliest talents and skills. I want a free racing/galloping horse, not as a slaved carthorse.
        NNpYlHF.jpg