Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does this look like a teen to you?

Comments

• brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    3KNPen wrote: »
    (Posted in the other teen thread but I'll post them here too)
    zk3mh2.jpg
    ibyj4p.jpg

And for comparison the same three sims as adults:

28luplh.jpg
    2u8ld7s.jpg

I find that choosing the right hairstyle and clothing go a long way to making the teens look like teens. This can be a lot harder in the case of the guys since there's less to choose from in terms of both but it is totally doable with a bit of patience and luck lol.

i have to give you credit you did make them look a bit like teens.
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    @Simanite I think teens are one of the big things holding back my enjoyment at this point. Toddlers are here and amazing. Teens are very lack luster. I wish they were doing preteens but I don't think they are going to. At this point I need some more unique things that make teens, teens. I wish they were smaller framed and a bit shorter. I know people say that teens are as tall or taller then parents, but in a video game there just doesn't seem to be the technology to make them look different enough that I can enjoy them at the same height. If I thought they looked super different from adults and were the same height I would not have a problem.

@BatmanFanGirl I am so glad someone agrees with me! <3 It's not about realism, it's about being able to differentiate between the lifestages. They just don't 'feel' like teens to me. :confounded:

I totally hear you! Teens used to be my favorite. Now they are one of my least. :(

that is how i feel its hard to tell teens apart from young adults. back when i played sims 2 and 3 i loved playing as teens but now its like weird to play as teens.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I sometimes find myself moving the game pointer over an NPC sim to just see if they are a teen or an adult in Sims 4. So yes, it is very hard to tell if a sim is a teen or an adult in Sims 4. But hopefully the new acnee feature in Parenthood will change all that. What I mean is that hopefully the new acnee feature will only be available for sims that are teens or younger.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, she looks eighteen, just graduated and off to college.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited May 2017
    Teens in this game look 16-20 (which is technically a teen). Depending on their clothes, make up and hair you can make them look on the younger end (16-17) or on the older end (19+). I don't think anyone is defending these teens look 14 because they clearly don't.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Teens in this game look 16-20 (which is technically a teen). Depending on their clothes, make up and hair you can make them look on the younger end (16-17) or on the older end (19+). I don't think anyone defends these teens look 14 because they clearly don't.

That's my issue though, many people have. And it's clearly untrue.
    Teens in this game look 16-20 (which is technically a teen). Depending on their clothes, make up and hair you can make them look on the younger end (16-17) or on the older end (19+). I don't think anyone defends these teens look 14 because they clearly don't.

But you can't see those features unless you zoom in. My Sims have sat and played chess with heavy set teens in this game I never knew were teens. It's a problem and without that tag an old man Sim would have been hitting on one of them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

But you can't see those features unless you zoom in. My Sims have sat and played chess with heavy set teens in this game I never knew were teens. It's a problem and without that tag an old man Sim would have been hitting on one of them.

For me the problem is mainly with game-generated teens. My played teens usually look like teens (older teens as I said but I can tell they are not young adults), but there is no way to tell with most townies. The fact that adults and teens share clothes contributes to this prOblem, that's why I think they should add an "age" tag in CAS so when teens are randomized by the game they only wear age appropriate clothes.
    edited May 2017

I agree. They don't look 12 or 14 at all. Regardless of height they look too developed to be that age.

These in my opinion would look closer to 14:

tumblr_o4m29kLVEQ1tjrolto3_1280.png
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If you dress a teen like an adult, they will look like an adult.

I agree. They don't look 12 or 14 at all. Regardless of height they look too developed to be that age.

These in my opinion would look closer to 14:

tumblr_o4m29kLVEQ1tjrolto3_1280.png

I wish they did look like that picture!
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Tell the game. :)

edited May 2017

So wearing a bomber jacket, no make up, straight hair and braces is dressed like an adult? :cookie:
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »
    Can you stop trying to create tension? She looks 16-18. There. It's really all about the clothing. If you make her wear a dress, and heels she will look older. Throw her in some converse shoes, a crop top, and ripped jeans, and she looks younger... That's it.

You already created a thread like this and asked to have it closed. Enjoy the game, or stop complaining!

@Simanite

I find that makeup and accessories make a big difference too -- I go with really light makeup if any for my teens, no eye makeup unless it's with their Formal or Party outfits, maybe a light blush and lipstick (that could pass for tinted lip balm). I can even put them in a dress and they still look relatively teenlike to me.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    You asked if that sim looks like a teen and I said that if you dress a teen like a YA, then they will look like a YA. I don't care who dressed the sim, you, the game or the Watcher almighty, the clothes age them. Maybe, with this new pack, teens in general will look more teen-like than young adult-like.
    edited May 2017
    You asked if that sim looks like a teen and I said that if you dress a teen like a YA, then they will look like a YA. I don't care who dressed the sim, you, the game or the Watcher almighty, the clothes age them. Maybe, with this new pack, teens in general will look more teen-like than young adult-like.

I dressed the teen in a bomber jacket, no make up, hair down and braces. THAT IS CLOTHING GEARED TO TEENS.

And clothing can have absolutely NO impact on a Sims' face so that point is mute.

I dressed the teen in a bomber jacket, no make up, hair down and braces. THAT IS CLOTHING GEARED TO TEENS.

And clothing can have absolutely NO impact on a Sims' face so that point is mute.

You asked for other peoples opinions and I gave you mine. If you can't handle mine, stop asking foolish questions.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    The sim in the OP looks YA to me. Thing is, in real life, there are plenty of teens who could pass for YA and plenty of YAs who could pass for teens and so on and so forth. But TS4 isn't a hyper-realistic art style. It's stylized. And in a stylized sense, most game-generated teens look little different from game-generated YAs. To be fair, if we're judging age based on behavior, teens in this game are on the cusp of becoming YAs, so it makes a kind of sense that they're indistinguishable.

It just isn't the strongest choice for players, who want each life stage to be visually distinctive, since the art style is stylized. No doubt Maxis artists agree, but due to how teens were made for launch, they're in that weird space right before YA where it's hard to just slap something super stylized on them that will unquestionably make them look like a teen.

Will be interesting to see what we can do with the parenting pack tho. With them not only having different behaviors, but also the acne option and, from the look of it, some more clothes that are meant to help create a stylized teen look.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

You asked for other peoples opinions and I gave you mine. If you can't handle mine, stop asking foolish questions.

I'm starting to wonder since Vampires if you and I haven't swapped personalities? lol

I didn't ask you ANY questions and don't talk to me like that, or please leave my thread.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited May 2017

For me the problem is mainly with game-generated teens. My played teens usually look like teens (older teens as I said but I can tell they are not young adults), but there is no way to tell with most townies. The fact that adults and teens share clothes contributes to this prOblem, that's why I think they should add an "age" tag in CAS so when teens are randomized by the game they only wear age appropriate clothes.

I think this would be a great idea. In previous sims games, the clothing was limited so you knew from a glance, even outside of face and height, which were the teens. They would be wearing varsity jackets and similar items.

I think there are a few things the devs could do to help distinguish teens without changing facial structure or height, (which would probably be too resource intensive):
    • Create a new default walkstyle just for teens (There is a new walkstyle for the Parenthood pack but I think that is just when they have mood swings).
    • Limit the clothing that gets applied to townie teens and teens when aging up (but players could choose any clothing)
    • If possible, randomize acne when aging up to teen (player can always remove)
    • Add a few teen-specific idle animations (there may be some in the Parenthood pack, I don't know...)
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Create a new default walkstyle just for teens (There is a new walkstyle for the Parenthood pack but I think that is just when they have mood swings).

Nice ideas but that's one I wouldn't want. Or I mean if we could change it I wouldn't mind, but not if it's not changeable.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member

I think this would be a great idea. In previous sims games, the clothing was limited so you knew from a glance, even outside of face and height, which were the teens. They would be wearing varsity jackets and similar items.

I think there are a few things the devs could do to help distinguish teens without changing facial structure or height, (which would probably be too resource intensive):
    • Create a new default walkstyle just for teens (There is a new walkstyle for the Parenthood pack but I think that is just when they have mood swings).
    • Limit the clothing that gets applied to townie teens and teens when aging up (but players could choose any clothing)
    • Add a few teen-specific idle animations (there may be some in the Parenthood pack, I don't know...)
    New walk style in Parenthood? I haven't seen nor heard that. Where did you get this info from?
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »

New walk style in Parenthood? I haven't seen nor heard that. Where did you get this info from?

Here:
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    When the teen gets scolded by his mom and slumps away, is that new walkstyle? I rarely use them so I'm not sure.

It's new. And it cracks me up.
    Don't think it's been specified whether it'll be available in CAS or just under particular circumstances.

Could you confirm on this one? @SimGuruNinja
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • SimGuruNinjaSimGuruNinja Posts: 992 SimGuru
    Triplis wrote: »
    Don't think it's been specified whether {the new walkstyle} will be available in CAS or just under particular circumstances.

Could you confirm on this one? @SimGuruNinja

This exasperated walk style triggers when your sim is in a mood swing (most common in teens). This is not a chooseable walk style in CAS, but an expressive walk based on sim's emotional state.